Driving Creek Cafe and...

Vegetarian cafe and organic store. Rustic garden setting with deck. Flexible options for vegans. Wifi access. They have a second-hand bookstore inside their cafe. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, International
180 Driving Creek Road (next to the Driving Creek Railway attraction)
Coromandel, New Zealand

Vegangelist
Vegangelist

Friendly and Fab Atmosphere

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

We were lucky enough to eat here on sunny days in the summer, which is the perfect time to go to this very relaxed cafe in a beautiful garden setting.

The first time we went, we had the bagel with avocado, tomato and hoummos and the falafel burger; both were delicious. The staff were very accommodating about making the burger vegan by removing the yoghurt. We didn't specifically ask about other vegan options but were happy with what we had.

The first time we went they didn't have anything sweet and vegan, but we returned the following day and had yummy vanilla and berry cake with our coffee. There was also a chocolate cake option.

The service was friendly, they are very child-friendly, there's a 2nd hand bookstore and the garden was blooming. I have to give this place a 5, despite what other people say about the paucity of vegan options. It didn't affect us.

Parking was a bit tight, and as this place is just outside Coromandel town, most people drive there.

Pros: Lovely setting, Friendly staff, Vegan cakes!
Cons: Parking isn't great
Dmitry
Dmitry

Chill out rustic place

3 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

A falafel burger was super yum with big slab of falafel roasted nicely with layers of tomato, greens between crispy buns (with yogurt replaced by mild chili) accompanied with a couple of freshly squeezed mixed juices. A mix of 3 only salads (I wish it could be ordered small as a side to the burger - perhaps I was too full for the amount of it) missed the mark for me a bit, just plain cauliflower, brocolli, asparagus, then couscous-like type (only larger - forgot the name) with a side vinegar dressing to pour on, which for me personally was too sour. Nevertheless, the burger and juices were 5 stars, as well as the rustic cottage athmosphere with very good music on and lots of second hand books to leaf through (from Leo Tolstoy to Bill Gates). It is 100% vegetarian (wow in NZ), i.e. eggs & cheese, but the board specifically says they accomodate vegans, plus a lot of it I belive is organic, and I hope in future more fully vegan dishes may appear. It's open I think 9am-5pm 7 days, but may call just in case to be sure. If I had been a vegetarian I'd give it 4 stars, for a mostly vegan it's probably not too bad, but may need a bit more options, so it's down the middle, as "fair". There is also another 100% meatless place right in the center of town called Chai Tea House, which is not yet listed on happycow.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 01, 2013

Pros: Setting & atmosphere, Organic, Vegan options
Cons: See review
Petesternz
Petesternz

I LIKED IT!

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2008

This was a really nice little place with good food. I enjoyed a lovely salad there with roasted vegetables and great dressing. My sole complaint is a need for more vegan options - there were very few. All the baked goods used eggs or dairy. But at least 2-3 vegan meal options. I would really give this place 3.5 stars if that were an option....

Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: not enough vegan
thelink
thelink

Spectacular!

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2008

Having lunch at the Driving Creek Cafe was one of the highlights of our recent trip to New Zealand.

The cafe is located in a beautiful garden and has a very relaxed and cosy feel about it. The people running the cafe are really friendly.

The menu is extensive, including a breakfast menu that is available all day long. There are lots of vegan options.

The food tastes absolutely wonderful and the serves were huge.

After our main course we couldn't resist to order some of the yummy looking vegan chocolate cake and a cup of coffee. What a taste bud extravaganza!

I think the Driving Creek cafe is a must on the trip planner of any Vegetarians travelling through New Zealand.

Dear Owner and Manager of Driving Creek Cafe and Organics: