Serves meat, veg options available. New Orleans style hot dogs that includes a few vegan ones as well as a vegan chili and non-traditional toppings some of which are vegan. The prepping, cooking, and serving process avoids any mixing of ingredients and oil. Located opposite Louis Armstrong Park. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Poundie
delcianna
delcianna

Ranked 1 of the Top 5 Vegan Hot Dogs in the US

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2014

PETA recently ranked Dreamy Weenie's Vegan House Special as one of the top five vegan hotdogs in the US [http://www.examiner.com/article/go-vegan-this-fourth-of-july-with-a-meat-free-weenie]

I haven't had the Vegan House Special (nor have I tried all of the vegan hot dogs on offer in this country yet), but I've had Dreamy Weenies' food and it's delicious. No skimping here! An array of vegan options for dogs and toppings alike. And don't tell your omnivorous pals, but ALL OF THE SIDES ARE VEGAN TOO!

Now if they would only veganize that corn dog!

Pros: delicious food & generous servings, all the sides are vegan, very friendly
Cons: no vegan corn dog option
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Love this place-wish I could give 5 cows!

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2014

The staff here are so friendly and awesome- they know their menu, they know what vegan is and they fully accomodate us. What more do we need? :)

They have a few veggie/vegan options which does include vegan toppings, vegan cheese, vegan side dishes, etc! It's all cooked separately too and I just love how they've accommodated us and made no fuss about it at all. Really impressed.

The hotdogs themselves are nice, good flavours and varieties depending on which dog you choose plus topping options- lots of choice!

We ended up eating here on four occasions whilst in town as we just felt so comfortable and happy with the place :)

Pros: the staff make this place, such a solid vegan menu, plenty of space, seats, opening hours
Cons: i wish it was near my home! :(
minrathous
minrathous

Good vegan options

4 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2014

Great vegan hot dogs here. There are a bunch of topping options for vegans, and several hot dog options (I think they're Tofurkey) and it's really filling, especially if you like loading on the toppings.

Pros: friendly staff, huge hotdogs, delicious

Myszka
Myszka

Finally Hot Dogs

4 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2014

It's a great place for Vegetarians/Vegans since you can build your own Hot Dog. Honestly, the vegan sausages are very heavy and big. We went there two times. First time I took the Kielbasa, second time i chose the Falafel sausage. Even though the Falafel sausage tasted just like Falafel balls, they were much easier to digest and didn't make me feel stuffed all day. The staff is really nice and helpful, they are aware of the differences between vegans and vegetarians. Eat a Hot Dog and take a walk around the Louis Armstrong Park!

vegbaker
vegbaker

Delicious!!

4 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2014

Every time I go here it takes me forever to order, there are just so many more possibilities than I'm used to! Multiple vegan dog options, and most of the sides are vegan. You could actually go here and get a vegan dog on a vegan bun and get vegan chili/potato salad/cheese put on top!! The fries are delicious too. The staff is super friendly. Really mellow vibe and it's right across from the lovely Armstrong Park, so if it's especially lovely out grab your meal to go and enjoy it in the park!

kateatsplants
kateatsplants

Simple and satisfying

4 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2014

I stayed right up the street from Dreamy Weenies during my visit to NOLA. They are incredibly friendly and provided a much needed warm spot in the unseasonably cold weather.

I had the Satchmo with the vegan andouille dog, and the seasoned waffle fries. The waffle fries, homemade bun, and the red beans and rice were all top notch. The only thing that was slightly less stellar was the vegan dog itself. It tasted ok, but definitely isn't the star flavor of the meal, the way I remember hot dogs from my pre-vegan days. I have a feeling this is just due to the fact that a tofu dog is not actually meat and really has nothing to do with Dreamy Weenies method of preparation. In fact, I appreciated the combination of the substance and a bit of spice of the andouille dog and the richer flavors from the red beans and rice as well as the yummy bun.

These guys do their thing (hot dogs and fries) but they do it well! I went back twice during my stay. :)
Updated from previous review on Saturday February 08, 2014

Pros: Yummy buns! , Seasoned waffle fries!
Alleyyo
Alleyyo

I hope you're hungry

4 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

The portions are huge. I went with my husband and we were expecting tiny TofuPups. Wrong. I believe the brand they use is Tofurkey. The topping were awesome and almost everything is vegan. All the sides are vegan as well. Get the seasoned waffle fries.

Pros: Delicious , Separate grill for vegan food, location
Cons: Soggy sweet potato fries
veganlane
veganlane

Totally Dreamy

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2013

Absolutely loved Dreamy Weenies! I generally try to avoid the faux meats, but they were so good. They have 5 or 6 different vegan dogs to choose from and all the toppings are vegan. They even have Daiya. I had the satchmo topped with red beans and rice. Yum! My husband had the Higgy topped with chili, cheese, and grits. Unfortunately, we stopped in on our last day in town. Otherwise, we would have gone back. The wait staff was incredibly friendly and helpful.

Pros: Tons of vegan options, Friendly staff, Prompt service
alxsrbraun
alxsrbraun

Worth a trip

3 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

The vegan kielbasa is tasty - but it is Tofurkey, not made in house. It came with homemade vegan bean chili on it though!

Pros: Tasty, Fun snack
Cons: Tofurkey sausage, not made onsite
trapezoidlloyd
trapezoidlloyd

Awesome Food and Staff

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2013

I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and I was pleasantly surprised to find Dreamy Weenies. As soon I walked in the staff was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about what was vegan and what was not. They use separate pots for their vegan hotdogs.

They have three different vegan hotdogs to choose from. They also have a bunch of different toppings for their hotdogs. I got a hotdog with red beans on rice on top and it was excellent.

If you're in New Orleans, you should definitely stop by and have a dog and enjoy the southern hospitality.

Pros: Great food, Friendly Staff , Many options
riseing
riseing

clean, friendly, vegan options

3 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2013

Every once in a while it's nice to eat what everybody else is eating - even if it's a vegan substitute. If you are going to Louis Armstrong park stop in and have a vegan weenie. Add sweet potato fries if you really want to feel "normal".

Pros: vegan weenie, clean, friendly
Cons: only drink is soda, white bun
jrkoppelman
jrkoppelman

Best Experience So Far

4 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

I've been to NO four times now for service trips over the past six years and have always stayed in the French Quarter. Just found out about this place and stopped by after reading they had vegan OPTIONS...which was an understatement (vegan dogs, vegan chilli, daiya cheese, and all the veggie toppings allow for at least 25 good ways, or more, to make a vegan dog). The co-owner who helped me was super nice and gave me a very detailed run-through of what was/wasn't vegan. Vegan options are cooked separately and you aren't charged any more for getting them. GREAT PLACE! SUPPORT THEM WHEN YOU CAN!

Pros: price, service, quality
Cons: none, none, none
Poundie
Poundie

Hot dog shop, with vegan options

3 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2012

This eatery focuses on hotdogs. It includes in its menu some vegan hotdogs that are cooked separate from other hot dogs on the menu. The vegan hotdogs were quite good, and the atmosphere was relaxed, and counter service was friendly. In all, it was a nice place to find a cheap vegan meal in a town where vegan meals are not easily found. This restaurant is in the French Quarter across the street from Louis Armstrong Par,.

Pros: good price, nice vegan hotdogs, relaxed atmosphere
Cons: not gourmet, non over-healthy, not elegant dining

Dear Owner and Manager of Dreamy Weenies: