Bulgarian and English both spoken and on the menu. Menu is mostly vegan with main course items labeled. Also has tea, soy and rice milk. Large dining room with view overlooking the street. Directions: Look for sign in yellow & green, take the corridor into the shopping centre, then take the white door to the left which is the entrance of a hostel, walk up a flight of stairs and you will find the entrance door there. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Asian, Mediterranean, Bulgarian, Beer/Wine
50A Alabin St (1st floor)
Sofia, Bulgaria 1000
+359-29808163

Open Mon-Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 12-6pm.

First Review by Dobre
aps101
aps101

Decent Food - Central Location

4 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2014

This place is one flight up, know the address so you don't miss it. Once you are past the throngs of people from the hostel next door smoking in the stairs and hall and make your way into the restaurant it is a nice place. Very simple and basic. As another reviewer put it, not pretentious by design. The menu is in English and there are a lot of vegan options at this veggie joint. The soup I had was especially good, the main meal was fine. It is a solid choice for a decent meal, but it is just that, more utilitarian than place you want to hang out and enjoy in. Staff was very nice. Food is very cheap, a great value.

Vanillka
Vanillka

divine food

5 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2014

the only place on planet Earth where I can eat as much as I want!
The food is great! And most vegan!

Pros: vegan food, warm attitude
Joanna Karatsaneva
Joanna Karatsaneva

Very good and affordable veg food

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

This place is not very pretentious, аs design, but serves very good and tasty food.

It is easily reachable,in the city centre
,but you have to mind, they are on the first floor,so you first have to find the entrance on the left of the passage,and take the stairs.

Good choice of vegan and some vegetarian food.

Food is really good,especially for this money.

Service is good.

Enjoy!

Pros: Tasty food , Good service, Very affordable
Cons: First floor , Simple design

TheHolyV
TheHolyV

Lovely food in central Sofia

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

Sofia is rich in vegetarian restaurants with vegan options. This restaurant is a bit hard to find but it has the advantage of being one of the most centrally located. Follow the instructions given on Happy Cow and you will be fine.

The venue is tastefully decorated while the food is quite simple but very well priced, out of the 3 or so I tried in Sofia this was the cheapest venue.

The buckwheat pancakes with tapenade and vegetables were cold but lovely, while the Gado Gado was a pile perhaps unsophisticated but honest pile of vegetables coated in a thin film of peanut butter.

The desserts included a raw cake with orange: this instead was quite gourmet, very deep and lovely looking!

Pros: Low prices!, Central location, English menu
Cons: Some dishes are a bit plain, Slightly hard to find
veggieriga
veggieriga

Great, inexpensive food

5 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2013

I ate here five times when I was in Sofia. One thing I really liked about this place is that it is very affordable, as there are many main courses for 5 or 6 lev, and the portion size is a good one. They have a soup and two other dishes that change daily. The soup at 2 lev is cheaper than the soup in the menu, but the daily main course at 5 lev is priced about the same. Both soups I had were delicious. The stuffed peppers and moussaka from the lunch menu were decent. However, I preferred the food from the a la carte menu. The kung pao tofu was good. I had the chickpea croquettes twice, and they were also good. Although I would have preferred if the croquettes were a little crispier.

One difference I found with other vegetarian restaurants in Sofia is that they didn't automatically give me tap water. It wasn't until I went to another restaurant that I realized that tap water is ok to drink in Sofia, and there is a public spring in the downtown area where I could fill up my water bottle. It would be nice if they would start giving out tap water, without customers having to request it.

Although I am an omnivore, I like to eat vegetarian and vegan food, and at restaurants, it is nice when the vegan food is labelled on the menu which unfortunately is not the case any longer at Dream House. Unfortunately, they do not have plant milk anymore. I am lactose intolerant, so I appreciate when restaurants have plant milk.

The staff were pleasant and were patient with me when I asked questions. I also had a nice conversation with one of the staff there.

Pros: very inexpensive, tasty food
Cons: no plant milk
macello
macello

Good Vegan - Friendly

3 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2013

Decent food, good selection of vegan dishes. Dish of the day served immediately, no waiting. Personnel could be better, I found them sad and slow but helpful nevertheless. And a sad surprise for the end: no soy milk...

Pros: Fast , Vegan
Cons: Personnel , No plant milk
khalidasweila
khalidasweila

Really sad food

2 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

Place is decent, staff is wonderful but the salad was from a bucket, broccoli watery and over-steamed. Buckwheat crepes could have been ok but was the same salad mix again, cold, inside pancakes. [edit by staff]

Pros: Clean bright atmosphere, Nice staff
Cons: food terrible
kenvegan
kenvegan

Delicious Veg Comfort Food

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2013

After reading positive reviews for Dream House in Sofia, this restaurant was on the top of my list for restaurants I wanted to try in the city. I was invited by a prominent vegan in Bulgaria to this restaurant, and I certainly was not disappointed.

I ordered the chickpea croquettes with an olive spread, some vegetable pancakes, and a vegetable tofu dish. The chickpea croquettes were delicious and quite filling. I wasn't quite as fond of the vegetable pancakes, as I felt they could have used a bit more flavor. The vegetable tofu dish was very flavorful and tasty. For dessert, I ordered a piece of strawberry pie, and it was also quite creamy and delicious.

I would definitely recommend Dream House. The food is really tasty, the service is very good.

Pros: Food, Prices
Tessparker
Tessparker

Super, super good

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2013

Really good selection, including a lot of gluten-free options (buckwheat pancakes with vegies and olive spread- zomg). Mainly vegan too. Try the Coconut and zuccini spicy curry for the starter, and either of the tofu dishes for your main (the red rice is also amazing, as is the hummus, and the quinoa and vegies).
The staff speak good English and are really helpful for any recommendations- they also understand dietary requirements (ie- us having Celiacs). We went here 3 times in the 2 days we were in Sofia, thats how solid it is.
The food is standard Bulgaria prices, so very cheap- We just paid about E11, or lv21, for 2 startes, 2 mains (we are stuffed, nomnom) and a big pot of herbal tea.

Pros: Good service, Excellent food, Inexpensive
Cons: Opens at 11
Kris G
Kris G

Very nice spot

4 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2013

The restaurant is located just off Vitosha blvd on Alabin street. It is very easy to spot it as it has big banner. Anyway food is really tasty and fresh however you need to wait bit long when you order from the menu. It offers also for 5 Euro a buffet all you can eat which is a good deal too. I think I would only think about setting some decor as it looks chaotic. Very friendly staff.

SG213
SG213

Solid veg. restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

Dream House offers a wide range of interesting dishes for very reasonable prices. In fact, when I first saw the menu, I felt that I wanted to try them all!

I had the spicy tofu with peppers which was good, and a special of the day which was stuffed raw veg., which was excellent, and an interesting fruit/nut cake for dessert. Like most everywhere else in Bulgaria, the prices are incredibly reasonable.

The decor of the place is also worth a mention, it's colourful and creative. Although the entrance from street level and stairwell doesn't look promising, it makes it more surprising when you get there.

The staff were helpful and friendly. I could see myself coming here a lot if I was staying in Sofia longer.

Pros: Extensive menu, Great prices, Good location
alnair
alnair

Yummy!

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2012

This nice, cozy place has a really good selection of vegan foods. Their menu didn't impress me at first, but when I got what I had ordered... WOW! Their dishes are quite tasty and really huge. Cheap, too. Prepare to get stuffed (and/or be sure to have someone to share them with).

Pros: Tasty food, Huge portions, Cheap prices
Tal
Tal

Lovely!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2012

Lovely place to eat in the centre of Sofia. We really enjoyed our meal there, everything was delicious. The menu is varied and vegan-friendly and the space is nicely decorated.

Pros: delicious, vegan-friendly, pleasant
new-to-vegan
new-to-vegan

Great place to eat!

5 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

Good cooking, friendly service, accommodating with my attempts to speak Bulgarian. Went back 3 times in the 5 days I was in Sofia and will do so again next trip. They even gave me some recipes for making the dishes I enjoyed so much!

Pros: good food, friendly service, clean
Cons: none
kimz33
kimz33
  • non-vegetarian

Good find

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

It was surprisingly good. The special had lots of nice spices and very tasty. The buckwheat pancakes were ok, but it said it had pesto in it which was actually just olive paste. In general it was a good find and extremely cheap. I liked the chocolate mousse.

Pros: Good food, Cheap
adrianmieras
adrianmieras

Conscious Eaterÿ

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2010

Tho' a little difficult to find (see 2006 review for directions), well worth the trip. Menu as listed on their web site is largely Vegan; & they've started using produce from their Biodynamic~Organic farmland 1200m up the mountain.
Food was lovely, service attentive, but unhurried, & the vibe is clear & calm. Take away for tomorrows lunch, but i know where I Am eating t'morrow evening!
~Ü~

Pros: generous portions, own almond & hemp milk
Cons: none
Wong Fei Hung
Wong Fei Hung

if you're in sofia and hungry, this is the place!

4 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2010

the sunday buffet is nice! simple but good, tasty food. the atmosphere is very friendly and relaxed. you get great value for your money here. i really recommend this place for any hungry vegan/vegetarian!

flamekat
flamekat

Just what I needed!

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2007

After a week of subsisting on salads in Bulgaria, we finally got to Sofia and made our way to Dream House last night (August 6, 2007). The Sunday buffet was wrapping up, so we ordered off the menu instead. The food was really good. To start, we shared the hummus with sauteed zucchini which was decent (you'll need to order bread separately), and one of the salads. I can't remember the name of it, but the tomatoes were wonderful, and it also included shaved beetroot, wheat sprouts, and garlic. The best salad I've had so far in Bulgaria. For our mains, my husband had the Frijoles, which (as one should expect in Eastern Europe) was devoid of spice except for the whole jalapeno placed on top. He still enjoyed it, but my dish, the tofu with shiitake mushrooms stole the show. It was actually a blend of mushrooms, perfectly cooked with the tofu in a light soy-based sauce. The portions were huge, especially for the price, and dishes are exactly as described, so if you want rice or something, you need to order that extra. For dessert, we shared the breaded banana with walnuts and honey, which was nice, but heavy. The atmosphere was nice and relaxed, and the service was very good and friendly. However, the menu was not divided into sections like other reviews have stated. I had to ask the waiter if the dishes I wanted were vegan or not, but I think the dishes with dairy were all pretty obvious.

Pros: great food, big portions, friendly staff
Stevie
Stevie

Dream house, Sofia

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2007

Centrally located between Vitosha Boulevard and Hristo Belchev st. Plenty of choice with the main courses laid out in to seperate sections for lacto ovo, lacto and vegan vegetarians being very useful indeed. Plenty of choice if like me you are v v. Friendly waitress, tasty food and inexpensive. Open long hours 7 days a week. Clean and spacious restaurant with English spoken and on the menu.

Pros: Good menu choice/lay out, Long hours, central, Mega vegan veggie frndly
Dobre
Dobre

Hard to find?

4 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2006

Look for the McDonalds at the corner of Bulevard Vitosha and Alabin.Walk 50m along Alabin and on the right is a very small shopping arcade.Enter the arcade and almost immidatly on the left is a white plastic door.Go through the door into a drab stairwell and walk to the first floor.There in front of you is the door to "Dream House".Once inside you enter into a bright,modern and spacious dinning room with views overlooking the streets below.The space is split into smoking and non smoking.The menus are in Bulgarian and English ,with seperate sections for vegan,lacto and lacto-ovo,and if your lucky you will get one the friendly english speaking waiting staff.The menu is varied with a mixture of medaterainian,asian and Bulgarian dishes.The portions are large and theirs a list of several Bulgarian beers and wines to choose from while waiting for your food to arrive.The venue can get busy but there`s never any pressure to eat up and leave.

Pros: Inexspensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Dream House: