CLOSED: Dragonfly neo-v

Uses only locally grown organic ingredients. some alcohol drinks are also not vegan. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Organic, Gourmet, Beer/Wine

First Review by Bohemianwife
jaynamac
jaynamac

Beautiful, delicious, and altogether wonderful

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2011

My husband and I spent our precious Friday date night at Dragonfly last night, and we will definitely be returning! I honestly don't understand some of the complaints in the other reviews. Every staff member of the restaurant, from the host to the co-owner, was friendly, helpful, and charming. And the food! Oh, the food. Every dish is carefully prepared and beautifully plated; your eyes will be as dazzled as your tastebuds.

Our meal began with the complimentary bread plate, complete with freshly made hummus and hot sauce (crazy good!), olives, pickled vegetables, and wonderful bread. We both ordered one of the restaurant's unique cocktails, and both were delicious (my husband's vanilla manhattan was particularly tasty). My husband enjoyed the barbecue biscuits appetizer (homemade biscuits with large slices of mushrooms cooked in barbecue sauce with gravy) while I was blissed out with the pate, microgreens, sauteed arugula and creme sauce.

For main courses, I tried the masa crusted tofu, tamale and mole (I am a sucker for good mole sauce, and Dragonfly's did not disappoint!), while my husband tried Dragonfly's signature mac and cheese topped with collard greens and portabella mushroom (comfort food at its very best). We enjoyed a bottle of wine from the Anjou region of France; it was absolutely lovely, and a bargain at just $26! The wine list isn't large, but it offers interesting choices, all of which seem to be very reasonably priced.

We both had half our entrees boxed so we could share a dessert; we chose the chocolate parfait. Sublime is the only word I can find to describe it; each layer offered a new and wonderful flavor and texture.

At the end of our meal, the owner even offered us a tour of the restaurants gardens, where they grow many of the ingredients they use. It was a lovely ending to a beautiful meal.

We can't wait to try Dragonfly's Saturday brunch. Dragonfly is a must-go restauraurant if you're visiting Columbus. It's now at the top of our list!

Pros: Exquisite food, Great ambiance, Fantastic staff
Stephanie Heckman
Stephanie Heckman

Dragonfly is extremely overrated....

3 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2011

Dragonfly is extremely overrated considering how many articles I've read about it in vegetarian magazines and websites. Yes, it's fancy, romantic, upscale, classy, trendy and attractive. However, it's also very overpriced, has mediocre food and poor service. I went here for my twentieth birthday with several family members and friends in May of 2010. The hummus and bread that we received was great but the other items that we tried weren't as good. The pesto pizza that I ate was decent but the pasta with "meatballs" that my friends all tried was horrible. A lot of omnivorous family members and friends didn't enjoy the food at all. I would recommend a different vegetarian restaurant for dates and dinner parties with non-vegans/ non-vegetarians. The service was awful. The server kept forgetting my orders and was pretty rude when I reminded her. She claimed that I didn't even order soup when all of my friends heard me order it and she didn't write down any of our orders. The restaurant is really beautiful and classy but I couldn't get over the bad service and average food. It was far too expensive for the food not to be delicious. I went to a veg restaurant in NYC (Greenwich Village) that was a fraction of the price and less fancy yet had much better food and excellent service. Then again, Columbus is not NYC so I would recommend this if you can't find better vegan restaurants nearby.

Pros: beautiful interior , vegan , romantic
Cons: horrible service , average food , overpriced
Spike
Spike

Not Ever Worth It

2 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2011

The food is consistently meager and ridiculously over priced, and the management is always rude and ungracious.

Further, not only is this restaurant not vegan, it isn't even vegetarian (and neither are the owners). I prefer to give my money to those, whose hearts are in their offerings.

When I went to rate Dragonfly Neo V, I was informed that the lowest rating allowable for a vegetarian restaurant was "two cows", and was not permitted to rate it lower. Seeing as how Dragonfly Neo V is neither vegan nor vegetarian, I believe them worthy of a 'one cow' or maybe 'zero cow' rating. The only reason they got two cows from me, is that HappyCow wouldn't allow anything less.

Pros: Pretty building
Cons: Unremarkable food/Tiny portions, VERY EXPENSIVE, Unpleasant management

Guest
Guest

Excellent!

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2010

Whenever we go to Columbus we go to Dragonfly. It is a wonderful organic Vegan restaurant and we are never disappointed. The fact that they have a vegetable garden is pretty fantastic as well. Since we get there every June we get to reap the benefits of all that freshly picked produce. Yummy!

keillorandel
keillorandel

Dining Adventure

3 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2009

I had never been to an upscale completely vegan restuarant so this was a real adventure. We called for reservations, but were never called back and then told at the door that they were not taking any more customers, but would make an exception for us. I should mention there was only one other couple in the room at the time and only one more came in while we were there. Get reservations. They apparantly think two tables is a full restaurant. This was not a good start. The place is lovely though- perfect for a romantic date. White table cloths, fresh flowers and soft lighting make this undeniably charming. The menu is an ecclectic and promising blend of classics turned vegan and a few unusual international inspired options. It seems at times descriptions are a bit more poetic than they are useful- bordering at times even on pompous. They brought out a free appetizer (amuse bouche they proudly called it),which was some sort of black bean dip that was actually very good. I wish it had been on the menu! My partner had tomato soup, which was not terribly fresh tasting. I had the signature salad which was much better. The mac and cheese entree was interesting. The mushroom topping was perfect, but the mac and cheese was a bit bland and not at all cheesy. I don't know if the problem is the kind of cheese substitute used or the lack of seasoning, but I wouldn't order this again. It would have been better if mac and cheese had been the inspiration and they had taken this dish a bit further in some new direction. Perhaps adding some root vegetable or unusual spice. As a strict imitation it does not work. If they think it does they have been vegans too long to remember the full cheese dish. My better half had some tomato based stew that was much better. This place is pricy so plan big. My only other complaint would be the constant interruptions by the servers. We had at least three people stopping to ask us something every five minutes. It made conversation difficult and romance impossible. I would recommend this place for lunch because I think it is an opportunity to try something new in a lovely setting.

Pros: new, original
Cons: pricy, staff quirky
Sprout
Sprout

Elegant and delicious

5 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2009

I was quite impressed by Dragonfly. The interior is very classy (we weren't able to sit on the lovely patio) and the staff made you feel welcome and made the entire meal a real event. Delicious appetizers, plus the chef brought us a small sample of another dish while we waited for our entrees. While they had a wide range of gourmet dishes, I couldn't help myself and ordered the pizza (a gourmet pizza of course, with delicious almond cheese). We also had some refreshing non-alcoholic cocktails. Dessert was heavenly: a cookie sandwich filled with chocolate mousse. This is a great place for a romantic meal, but we also saw larger groups while there. The ladies at the table next to us were clearly not vegan and kept expressing their delight (and surprise) over the quality of the vegan dishes. The price was appropriate for the quality and amount of food we received. We left very satisfied after our special dinner at Dragonfly. Highly recommended!

Pros: totally vegan, creative dishes, romantic atmosphere
roxxy23
roxxy23

Stupendous Dinner

5 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2008

My husband and I drove through Columbus last December and finally had the time to stop here. We took our time and had every course. Everything was incredibly delicious and fresh. The service was very nice (although our server was a little stiff). The atmosphere was light & airy, without the blinding spotlights that so many places seem to have. They have a full bar, although we didn't partake of any specialty cocktails since we were in the middle of a road trip.

Here are the details. Specialy drink-ginger+orange+apple+kale, very good combination; appetizers-potato gallette and oyster mushroom calimari; complimentary dishes after appetizer-orzo salad and split pea dip; entrees-pizza and a "shrooms" dish (3 kinds of mushrooms with a side of mashed potatoes and chard); dessert-3 tartlets: persimmon, apple & huckleberry and tapioca pudding with persimmon sorbet. It is terrific how they use local, in-season produce. Lucky for me mushroom were in season!

Final words: the Oyster Mushroom Calimari appetizer may be the most incredible food I've ever eaten in my entire life. Dragonfly Neo-V is definitely worth a splurge.

Pros: fresh produce, excellent food combinations, nice atmosphere
chickpeafreak
chickpeafreak

Incredible

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2008

Excellent upscale Vegan restaurant! Food is incredible, as are the drinks. But gets expensive quick--great for special occasions when you don't mind the splurge so much. Best value is Saturday Brunch--flat price and you get to sample from the buffet and order a dish.

Service is astounding. Really.

Pros: Quality food., Wonderful staff., Relaxed, not rushed.
Cons: Music little too loud sometimes., Gets expensive quick., Soup glasses always tip over and spill.
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

HI chickpeafreak, I liked your review of dragonfly. I also like the buffets since I don't have to worry about my bill creeping higher and higher!

steve dumperth
steve dumperth

The greatest vegetarian restaurant in the nation!!

5 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2008

This restaurant has a seasonal menu. That means the freshest, healthiest, vegan food available. I live almost three hours away, but have visited this heavenly location dozens upon dozens of times. If you haven't been, GO!!!!!!!

Pros: EVERYTING, QUALITY, PERFECT!!!
Cons: not for poor people
SirJustinian
SirJustinian

For that special night out

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2007

This place is simply perfect for that special night out with a significant other. Wonderfully amazing vegan dishes never fail to delight even the pickiest eater in the world (my wife!). The flavors the chef creates are simply heavenly. While the portions may seem a bit small, they are quite filling.

The atmosphere of the place is very relaxing as well, and the music always seems to perfectly compliment the place as well. The service is sometimes a bit spotty, with longer than normal waits for things, but for the most part I am usually very satisfied.

Pros: Wonderful food, Relaxing atmosphere
Cons: Expensive, Spotty staff
captown
captown

One of the best in N. America

5 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2007

As a fairly frequent customer here I can tell you that this restaurant is easily in the top three vegan restaurants I've ever been to (and I've been to a lot). They have only continued to evolve their cuisine over the years, and with every new trip I take here I leave wondering how they are able to dream up and execute their dishes. As said, it will give you a new understanding of vegan cuisine.

Bohemianwife
Bohemianwife

I miss my Dragonfly

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2007

I am originally from Columbus and visited Dragonfly on special occasions. Then I moved and on my last birthday I got off work and drove 4 hours to continue this tradition. This place is unbelievable!! The food is amazing with use of local and organic products. The menu is seasonable to fit what produce can be brought in. The chef is a master at what he does, sometimes making the food so pretty you don't want to eat it. If everyone could eat this way all the time there would be only vegans in the world. Dragonfly looks like it came right out of New York City, and the prices reflect that. Owners are usually on site and staff is kind and informative. If you visit, you must go all the way- appetizer, special drink, dessert etc.. you will not regret it!!

Pros: excellent food, great decor, wonderful staff
Cons: price, small portions

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Dragonfly neo-v: