Provides simple vegan food. Also sell a small selection of veggie meats, fresh organic vegetables, and other vegan foods. Hosts free health lectures on Sundays 3-6pm. Moved back to this original location from 2nd Flr Metrowalk, Meralco Ave, Pasig City in Nov 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Filipino, Fast food, Take-out

Tiggy
Tiggy

Good but not great

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

This is in a fairly large space, simply decorated if a little unfriendly (the space not the staff), and the staff are attentive and accommodating. The menu is varied, although both the times I went there my first choice of drink was unavailable. (The second time there was only ONE drink available). The first time I was with my partner and there was filming of some promotional segment going on, which was quite tacky and amusing. He ordered the Adobo, which I found unimpressive (I thought it tasted heavily of tamari or something) but he liked it. I ordered a vegan 'tuna' grilled sandwichy thing, which was fine. We also ordered the ever-present lumpias which were good. We tried the vegan ice cream which was nice and creamy but had long shreds of coconut through it which I found a but unpleasant because they were too big and chewy, rather than little and crunchy. When I went back by myself, I ordered too much. The starter of dumplings was pretty big, four decent-sized baked semi-circles and the best part of the meal. The vegan Kaldereta was so-so (mock meat of course). On this occasion the waiter made a point of promoting baked goods to me and I bought a couple of muffins and brownies for later, both of which were mediocre. I'd be curious to try more here but at the moment I'm lukewarm.

Pros: Varied options, Attentive staff
Cons: Some dishes mediocre
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Pretty standard vege canteen with a local feel

Posted on 08 / 19 / 2011

We endured close to an hour in a taxi through sometimes stagnant traffic to try this place... having tried most of the top reviewed spots we wanted to venture out into something different and figured a shop run by a naturopath would have a health focus, so picked this one.

We got there quite late, about 4.30pm so near their closing time. Their food is pre-made on the counter - a 'point to what you want' type affair. Most of the dishes were mock meat based, which we don't like, so we went for a bean and squash dish, a vegetable soup, another bean dish (which had mock meat in it but we had no other options so just ate around it) and a lumpia (local style garden roll). This was accompanied by some brown rice.

We were surprised to find that none of the food was heated up - it was served at room temperature. Guess that's better than zapping it of its energy with a microwave!??

The rice was a bit hard and crumbly, not terribly enjoyable really but sufficient - better than white rice anyday. The vege soup was great despite being cold; we wished they had more. The mock meat and bean dish was enjoyable even though we left all the mock meat. The beans and squash dish was soy sauce based and tasted Japanese - my husband felt right at home and seemed pleased with the unexpected dose of familiarity. The lumpia stole the show - the sauce was quite different to anything we've tasted before. It was a transparent jelly which was squeezed on as needed. We promptly ordered another one, as the overall meal was decidedly lacking on freshness and the contents of the lumpia appeared to be mostly raw veges.

The ambience of this store is of an everyday canteen. Certainly nothing special but clean and starkly comfortable. There were also a few health foods for sale there: dates, seaweed (Chinese in origin though), handmade soy sauce, etc. as well as some cabinets full of breads made with white flour and little else (zero nutritional value so we left them alone).

Whilst enjoyable, the meal somehow left us feeling tired afterwards.. perhaps it was the lack of freshness, or the skewed balance of ingredients (lots of beans, not so many veges). We felt a doctor could have done better in promoting healthy vegetarianism rather than resorting to the use of mock meats (the contents and nutritional value of which are questionable at best).

Still, good to see some vege options in this relatively remote location in Manila. And if the locals enjoy it then that can only be a good thing.

Pros: not too oily, condiments not overused, mostly local style dishes
Cons: mock meat, pre-made, not much to choose from
loulou.lou
loulou.lou

Vegetarian Dining in the Philippines

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2011

I recently stumbled upon this article about vegetarian dining in the Philippines. I didn't know that there were many vegetarian restaurants here! I suggest you read the article here: http://www.petaasiapacific.com/feature-VegEatingInThePhilippines.asp and discover the benefits of going vegetarian. I thought being a vegetarian was hard because there aren't enough places to eat from, but I was wrong. The food tastes good and you can help save animals from the inhumane torture they suffer at factory farms!

Dear Owner and Manager of Dr. Tam's Vegan Haus:

Last updated: 2013/12/23

Added: 2009/01/19

Added by: jenefer l. matudan