Healthy, Light Food Nice Space
Posted on 07 / 22 / 2013
I had read about this on HappyCow and was in downtown LA, so my friends and I stopped in to try it out (July 2013). Here's my Dr. J's Vibrant Cafe review.
The space is casual, modern yet simple, and invokes an eco-vibe with exposed wood beams above and large windows all around. The menu is somewhat varied, though many bowls do feature tofu.
We shared a few things:
- Dr. J's bread, which were more like round shaped energy cookies comprising oats and bits. Healthy, tasty. $3.95
- Mini coconut pie. Yummy. $4.95
- Alfalfa patty burger served with raw carrot chips. Delicious. $10.95
- Rice noodle bowl with thin slices of veggies and sliced fried tofu. It was simple and healthy but felt a bit too skimp (could use more filling). $10.95
- One friend also had the potato curry which she said was a bit too spicy. I didn't try it.
- We also shared the metabolic booster (cabbage, kale, and veggies juice), and that was refreshing. $8.95
Overall, the food was healthy and clean, the desserts healthy and tasty, the juice refreshing. However not long after we left I soon felt hungry. My suggestion for improvement might be to either lower prices slightly so diners might feel that we could order more. For example, lower the main entrees by $1 (to $9.95).
As this place is brand new, I look forward to seeing what they will do to make it even better. Will return the next time I'm in the area for a juice and the pie!
fresh food, good desserts, healthy
portions could be bigger