Downtown Central Perk

Vegetarian cafe with juice bar and Intelligentsia coffee. Plenty of old books to look through as well as multiple guitars anyone can pick up and play. Raw and vegan options are available. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Juice bar

KimGriffiths
KimGriffiths

Pleasantly surprised

Posted on 11 / 13 / 2013

I'm a strict vegan, so I've been avoiding this place because they do serve a couple of animal products, plus I saw the bad review on here. However, when scheduling a coffee get together with a couple of friends last night, I decided to try it since I only planned on having coffee anyway. The girl who was working was very friendly and knowledgeable. Although there weren't too many vegan options on the menu, many of the other items can be made vegan by simply leaving off the cheese or mayo, or having them substitute with Daiya or Veganaise. I decided to have the veggie wrap (substituted the shredded cheese with Daiya) and a side of the quinoa bean salad. It was great and reasonably priced. I also had the iced coffee with almond milk and agave nectar. When we left, I ordered a guacamole burger on a chickpea bun and french fries to take home to my son. I had her leave the cheese and mayo off the burger and put cheddar Daiya on instead. My son said it was really good and wouldn't share any of his fries. I know next time to sneak one or two on the way home. ;)

I also usually eat only organic and non-GMO whole foods, and their items are not organic/non-GMO (at least they don't say they are, and the pricing isn't higher like it usually is with organic/non-GMO). From what I could see on the menu, there aren't many items that would include GMOs anyway. My quinoa bean salad had some corn in it, but it's easily picked out if you're concerned about it like I am.

They do have gluten free options for people with gluten sensitivities/allergies, and they're marked on the menu.

The atmosphere was awesome and there is plenty of seating. The music was great and at a volume that still allowed for conversation.

So even though I am a strict vegan and really prefer organic/non-GMO, I will definitely be back often. In an area that is not vegan friendly and that doesn't have any completely vegan restaurants, it's nice to have one place that I'm comfortable in and can be confident that the animal products that they do serve are not going to contaminate my food.

Pros: Good food that is reasonably priced, More vegan options than expected, Awesome relaxed atmosphere
Cons: Not organic/non-GMO, I wish it was completely vegan ;)
marz0
marz0

Disappointing Vegan Options and Poor Service

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2013

My girlfriend and I are both Vegan and when i searched the Quad City area, where i'm originally from, Downtown Central Perk came up as the only vegetarian restaurant in town so we were optimistic that it might have more dining options for us than we could find elsewhere. sadly, we were wrong.

somehow for a vegetarian restaurant they manage have about as many vegan options as most regular restaurants we go to. worse yet, they're really poor options. i mean, of the 9 vegan options on a menu of well over 60 choices, they offer hummus and pita chips, a hummus wrap, and a hummus sandwich (the same as the wrap only on bread). seriously? is hummus all we eat? the remainder of their inspired opions include bruschetta (on pita chips also), oat meal (yes just plain oat meal), and their signature vegan option 'The Elvis'. we tried the elvis which, granted, was fairly tasty, but it's just a plain peanut butter and banana sandwich that's fried. but even this effort wreaks of lack of effort because if you actually know what an elvis is, (google "define: elvis sandwich" and it will literally tell you) it should be peanut butter, bananas and BACON. now i know bacon isn't an option here but seriouslsy i've had more than a few types of very good vegan bacon and that little extra bit of giving-a-shit that throwing a slice of facon in the mix would would have provided would go a long way to their credibility.

frankly, i felt strangely out of place there. the girl working there seemed a bit annoyed to have to serve us even thought it seemed like we were about the only people in the place, and when we asked common questions about substitutions and ingredients to see what items could be ordered vegan she acted just as befuddled if not more so than i'm used to getting from typical wait staff in any restaurant. when we asked if any of the dozen or more veggie burger's patties were vegan she responded "i dunno, maybe the boca?" seriously. I know it's just a vegetarian place but she acted like she'd never encountered a vegan before.

i'm sure this place is great for vegetarians with all the creative burger options, and if that's your thing you should surely check it out, but if you're vegan they really don't have much to offer. they definitely don't give much thought to the vegan demographic here so until they drop the 'let them eat hummus' attitude, they're not gonna be getting much business from us.

Pros: good location
Cons: very few/poor vegan options, bad service
lucerne07
lucerne07

Good coffee, but the food is a missed opportunity

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

I visited Central Perk recently with my husband and was taken right away with the space. They have a lovely downtown location with tall ceilings, an airy and open quality, and exposed brick on one of the walls, which adds a lot of character. They have a small stage for open mic nights and other events. Because of the tall ceilings and nature of it being an old building, it was incredibly, incredibly cold. I wore my coat the whole time I was there. During the winter months, a space heater could be a good addition!

My husband and I have been eager to check this place out for a while since there aren't any other strictly vegetarian restaurants in Davenport. I was somewhat disappointed, though, when I saw the menu. While the menu is entirely vegetarian, the options for vegans are considerably more limited. There are a few breakfast options, but even though they have a create your own omelet and breakfast burrito, tofu can't be substituted to make it a vegan option. There's one vegan wrap (a hummus wrap) and one vegan sandwich (a hummus sandwich). One pita can be made vegan. No burgers on a lengthy list of vegetarian burgers are vegan, no salads on a lengthy list of salads, and no pizzas.

It seems to me that it would be easy to make some more exciting vegan options and make more of the vegetarian items veganizable. How hard would it be to have Daiya in the freezer to pull out as needed for a vegan pizza or to use a vegan burger with the option of omitting animal products on the sandwich to make it vegan? Then they could put a symbol on their menu for items which can be made vegan upon request.

I had the hummus wrap with a quinoa bean salad, and it was uninspired. The wrap itself was ice cold as if it came pre-made straight from a refrigerator, and as I mentioned the restaurant itself was cold inside. A warmed tortilla or, even better, a toasted tortilla would have been a big improvement in addition to a more flavorful hummus. It felt like vegetarian fare from the 1990's. The soy latte I had with it, though, was very tasty.

My husband's peanut butter and banana sandwich, The Elvis, was quite good and melty, and he enjoyed a side of breakfast potatoes.

In closing, I think there are a lot of possibilities with the space. I just wish that since vegans in the area want to come and support them that they would make their options more attractive to vegans too.

Pros: good coffee, cool space
Cons: not many vegan options

Hold the Vision
Hold the Vision

Healthy and Tasty Vegan Food

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

As a vegan visiting Davenport after many years away, it a great relief to have this friendly, comfortable new coffee shop to eat in. I ate there 3 times during my 2-day stay. The wraps are excellent, the juice and coffee too.

Pros: healthy, tasty, Not expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Downtown Central Perk: