All vegan bakery in a very vegan-friendly and diverse neighborhood. Reported closed to HappyCow. more-less

First Review by cookiem
chickpeafreak
chickpeafreak

Wonderful!

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

What a wonderful bakery! Has a few tables to sit at, and is quite understated from the outside. But what a treasure! I ordered the Brown sugar + Hazelnut scone, and an iced tea. Delicous treats with friendly service that can't be beat! Can't wait to go back.

Pros: Small and inviting, Delicious, Ample seating
Cons: --, --, --
veganfox
veganfox

Very cute bakery

4 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2011

Although we got there at the end of the day, we really enjoyed the sticky buns and the hazelnut choco muffins. Delish!

Petesternz
Petesternz

The BEST

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2010

Let me make this as simple as possible: this is the BEST vegan bakery I have ever been too. When it gets to the point that I'm suspicious about the ingredients, you know you've got something special. I ate two of their concoctions and each bite was more memorable than the last. I am considering moving to Portland just to be near this place. DO NOT MISS IT! And no, I don't work there. It's just after eating a strawberry vanilla scone that reminded me of my last non-vegan scone eaten in England (with cream, no less) and eating an inspired pumpkin-chocolate muffin that was so moist I couldn't believe it, I am a Dovetail convert!

thoor_ballylee
thoor_ballylee

Vegan Sticky Buns Worth Every Penny

4 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2010

Perfect Sticky Buns and I'm actually mostly talking about the pastries. This place is great addition to your day, I stoped by a few times to get some different pastries to go and eat later. There isn't a huge sellection and it does look like a place still setting up a bit and figuring things out and I'm sure there are nicer bakeries in Portland, but I really enjoyed my time here and the food was great, no Vegan prefices to that. The sticky buns rival any counterpart, the muffins were a little funky and heavy for my taste, actually the first review I think was pretty on the money with all of what they said. Still this is a nice place to get something very yummy and vegan at the same time and this street is an absolute must, I can't believe I almost didn't make it up here.

Pros: Great baked goods, Perfect Sticky Buns, Great scones
Cons: Small sellection

cookiem
cookiem

Classic bakery feel with vegan moxie

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2010

If you weren't sure from the entrance, display, decor, or general ambiance that this place was vegan, you probably also wouldn't be sure by eating the baked goods! This place is the best vegan bakery in Portland!

Ok, sure, it's small, and it's just gotten started.... but one can gather a sense of love and appreciation for the art of making delicious bakery quality goods with homestyle appeal. Not only do these products look amazing, as one would expect in any bakery selling items for profit, but they taste amazing! The flavors really come to the forefront in a classic style that makes you remember why baked goods can make you smile.

The ingredients filling the inside and bedecking the tops of the baked goods are high quality, delicious treats with every bite. Some places skimp on flavor or chop things into minuscule pieces to extend the product (i.e. save money). This place doesn't bother with anything that would damage the integrity of a top-notch product.

The muffins are beautiful and have a great flavor. The cookies remind you of those classic cookies that your grandmother might make, but better, because they are vegan and generously sized for any cookie craving. The scones have wonderfully unique flavor combinations. The sticky buns and cinnamon rolls are to die for. If you get one thing at this bakery, get a sticky bun or cinnamon roll, you will not be disappointed. Hands down, this place has the best looking and best tasting vegan (or non-vegan) sticky buns and cinnamon rolls in the entire country, literally.

My only complaints are that this place has just opened and I wanted more! Greedy, aren't I? No doubt as they begin to prosper, Dovetail will be able to offer more baked goods! YES!!!!!!!! The only other complaint was that I prefer my muffins to be a bit more tender, as the texture was too tough for my delicate palate.

The service and friendliness are exceptional. There are plenty of places to sit, so pull up a chair and enjoy! The location is wonderful, and the morning sun shines in brightly. For now, it's cash only (only open for what 2 weeks?), but credit cards will be accepted soon.

If you love vegan baked goods or just baked goods at all, you must go here for the sticky buns and cinnamon rolls. Pick up another treat too. You will be happy to have something for later as the first item will disappear before you can so, "what, it's all gone?!"

Pros: Sticky buns, Service, Ambiance
Cons: Waiting for more choices

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Dovetail Bakery: