Serves meat, veg options available. Grill food with vegetarian and vegan items marked on the menu. Includes BBQ seitan wings, BBQ pulled seitan sandwich, vegan chili, tempeh veg-sausage, potato tacos, wood grilled veggies, Caribbean coconut tofu, and more. Has kids menu. Large beer selection. Non smoking. Vegans to specify. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by abbajen
DesiRayRay
DesiRayRay

Worst Vegan Food Ever!

1 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2014

As the previous review warned: vegans do not waste your time. Double-Wide lures vegans in with tasty and novel sounding food items, and instead gives you extremely poorly executed attempts at vegan cuisine. For instance, I was super excited to try their stroganoff and what I got was something that didn't at all approximate it. I mean, it does if stroganoff comes with refried beans, mushrooms marinated in vinaigrette and poorly seasoned seitan (all of these things were on their own separate continents on the plate, mind you).

At any rate, don't go here. You'll be happier if you don't.

Cons: Vegan food is not tasty
MargaretB
MargaretB

Vegans don't waste your time

1 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

This place has extremely limited and unappetising selections for vegans. Their vegan chili is watery and nasty...other selections dont fare much better.
Look elsewhere for a good meal.

Cons: limited selections for vegans, unappetising choices for vegans
lindsay426
lindsay426

Go-To Restaurant for Mixed Group

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

I love this place because it has great vegetarian options (love the bbq seitan wings), and it also has a ton of good food for non-vegetarians. This is important because my family is mixed, so it's hard to find a good place that suits everyone.

boyziggy
boyziggy

Very clearly marked vegetarian and vegan menus

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2012

Amazing seitan wings! Doublewide is a fun party restaurant with great variety of gourmet food rich in flavor. It's so nice to see so many clearly labeled vegetarian and vegan options on their menu. Everything we ate exceeded our expectations. The only disappointments were the absence of vegan desserts, and the noise level of the restaurant was very loud in the main garage. The bar section was actually much quieter. But it's a party bar restaurant that's really well themed. Places like this tend to be a bit on a noisy side.

Pros: clearly labeled vegan food, rich flavor, great variety
Cons: lack of vegan desserts, noisy in the main room
kzollman
kzollman

Good food, hit-or-miss service

3 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2012

We often go here for a quick dinner. The vegetarian options cluster around veggie version of traditional bar-style food -- burgers, wraps, sandwiches. They do these well, certainly among the top veggie burgers I've ever had. They also have a rotating selection of micro beers which usually includes some very good beers.

The decor is white-trash-chic which can be entertaining. The outdoor patio is nice in the summer, although the street noise can be very loud. Inside the noise usually isn't too bad.

My major concern is the service. While usually the service is fine, we have had a few times where the service was absolutely terrible. One time we had to wait an hour to be seated and wait 15 minutes to see a server, only to to be told they were out of everything needed to make all their vegetarian options. A frustrating evening to say the least.

Pros: Good bar-style food, Beer selection
Cons: Service is spoty
seedofdamian
seedofdamian

Great Patio...Great Food!!!

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2012

Went down to the Double Wide Grill last week for the first time and loved it. The weather was great so we got to sit out on their great patio. The Double Wide Grill has a nice selection on Vegan, Vegetarian food at a great price. We will defiantly go back again!

Pros: Food, Patio, Service
Cons: i dont live closer
chippy910
chippy910

Enjoyable

3 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2011

Double wide has a really large selection of veggie selections. Some things are better than other. Veggie burgers are bland, but seitan wings are pretty good.

Pros: Variety
Cons: Flavor sometimes bland
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Double Wide Grill

3 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2011

Meh, with a capital M... This is an interesting restaurant, the decor and atmosphere was definitely neat. However, when it came to the food (and service), I felt they were lacking. The seitan wings were notably better than my entrée (they even appeared to have rice in them), but they were still lackluster. The BBQ seitan sandwich was also underwhelming and was just missing something...can't put my finger on it. This is a good place to go if you're dining with non-veg people, but overall, I think the vegan options are boring.

hundleb
hundleb

Much more enticing than the name implies!

3 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2011

While this sounds like a hillbilly greasy burger joint, it's actually quite the opposite. They have a broad menu, and brunch covers everything from waffles to full entrees.

Vegan-friendly options were mainly portabello or veggie burgers and wraps, or modifying the salads. They do have a vegan roll, though when I specified my order it still came smothered with cheese and on the non-vegan roll. The second time around it was right.

It's a decent place to go esp with non-veg friends, but it's by no means a veg restaurant.

Pros: More than just a veggie burger, Tasty menu, Enough variety to please veg and non-veg
Cons: Service was slow, Order was non-veg first time around
veggrl98
veggrl98

Excellent veg food!

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2011

Love the Double Wide Grill! So many excellent veg options. Last visit there, had the faux "wings" (which everyone at the table LOVED), and also ordered the vegetable and tofu skewers, which were outstanding. Also, the service there is usually great, just happened to have a less-than-helpful server last time. Highly recommend.

Pros: excellent food, good value
Cons: inconsistent service
veganmadre
veganmadre

Seitan Wings and Microbrews

3 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

Great place to go if you're simply looking for a quick bite and some microbrews on tap. They have a huge beer selection and the seitan wings are yummy.

The other menu items are pricey. I love the atmosphere (one tattoed server, vintage car and brown ale, please). And, like I mentioned, it's a nice place for a beer and snacks in a "non-seedy" bar.

You'll know you've just left the Double Wide Grill when your belly is much fatter and your wallet much thinner.

Pros: Seitan Wings, Large Microbrew Selection on Tap, Funky/Fun Atmosphere
Cons: Tricky Parking, Minimal Food Selection
Mikemotorbike
Mikemotorbike

neat little place

3 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2011

I was in Pittsburgh for a business trip. I hastily picked out three vegan-friendly restaurants to go to. This was the omni one I picked so that collegues could go out with me. I enjoyed the food. It was good. I had the hot wings (seitan cubes) and a sandwich. I guess I would say that it's very obvious that vegan cooking isn't what they primarily do, however, they do it with enough skill that it's not terrible. I should add I'm not a drinker though and this has a strong bar presence, so the atmosphere threw me off too.

Pros: creative selection, clearly marked on menu, good prices
DC Vegan
DC Vegan

A nice option for vegans in Pittsburgh

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2011

My boyfriend and I were in Pittsburgh for the NHL Bridgestone Winter Classic. On gameday, we drove to the Double Wide Grill for a late lunch before finding parking to get to the game. My boyfriend is vegetarian and I am vegan, so I picked this spot because it has options for us. It was a little tricky finding it--we were surprised to see 2341 before 2339, but once we found the right place, we walked in and were seated quickly. There is a separate vegetarian/vegan page on the menu, and items are clearly marked. My boyfriend and I started with the seitan "wings" in the BBQ sauce, but they were really hunks of seitan, deliciously seasoned, and almost crispy. For an entree, he got the Potato Tacos while I got the Tofu Skewers. The skewers came out slathered in BBQ sauce with rice and a green bean melange. Sadly the vegetable was forgettable, but the skewers and rice were utterly delicious. I give them extra points for not putting broccoli, a vegetable I despise, on the skewers. On my one visit, I found the service rather friendly (and we were wearing our Washington Capitals jerseys in Pittsburgh Penguins country), if a bit slow.

I will certainly recommend it to friends traveling to Pittsburgh and I will go back if I am ever in Pittsburgh again.

Pros: vegan items clearly marked, good food, separate page of veg*an items
Cons: bit of a sketchy neighborhood, metered street parking only, service was a bit slow
abbajen
abbajen

Great Food...

3 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2010

The food here is great. I really like the vegetarian wings, chili, and wraps. However, the service is atrociously slow even when the restaurant is not busy. Due to the poor service and the location (it's a little hard to find parking, and the traffic is bad on Carson Street), I rarely go here, though I would go back if I was in the Southside. Also, this is a great place to go with meat-eating friends because they can get meat, and you can get a delicious vegan or vegetarian meal!

Pros: Great choices for vegetarians and vegans, Options clearly marked as veg, Options for non-veg friends
Cons: Terribly slow service, Difficult to find parking

Dear Owner and Manager of Double Wide Grill: