Dosa Plaza - Metro Centre

Vegetarian Indian fast food which you can eat in or take away. Choose from a range of vegan dishes or ones that can be made vegan. This location is on Auckland's main street in the food court of the Metro Centre. IMAX Theater in mall with free Wi-fi. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Indian, Fast food, Take-out

Mon-Sun 9:00am-10:30pm

First Review by Lea
Ryecatcher
Ryecatcher

If everything's closed then good choice

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2015

Well, it wasn't so bad.
The venue is as far away from cosy as possible, like you were eating in a shopping mall basically, but just were Dosa is located within the food court there is a dead end so you have a somewhat hiding space.
On the face of it Dosa Plaza doesn't look very inviting, their advertising seems a bit rundown, actually I haven't noticed it the first few times I was there; looking for something vegetarian to eat I simply overlooked it.
Nonetheless, once found the food was quite fair. Good taste, fair servings, decent price, friendly staff.
I'll had to wait for about ten minutes though, both time I ate there.
Once you know where it is you have a centrally located option for something to eat which has pretty customer-friendly opening times. Note though, waiting time and eating time more or less balance each other, something I consider to be unusual for a food court, therefore arrange enough time, unless you order for take away.

Pros: good value
Cons: food court, waiting times
preppyvegan
preppyvegan

Quick and Convenient!

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2014

Dosa Plaza is one of the few easy vegan options in the CBD. They do quick, cheap meals and, althougn not 100% vegan, they can advise. The masala dosa is great value at $10 and massive! Great place for a quick lunch or dinner if you are in town.

Pros: Great Value, Vegan Options
Cons: Food Court Setting
Lea
Lea

Saved from starvation by delicious dosa

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2014

Ok, so if you are a vegan or vegetarian who likes eating out, summer is not the best time to visit Auckland. Most of the veg restaurants were closed for the duration (and mostly without informing people of this on their websites, grrrr!) Fortunately, Dosa Plaza rarely closes. After frustrated attempts to visit 3 other restaurants on my carefully researched itinerary, we found Dosa Plaza hidden away in a subterranean food court behind a cinema complex.

Before coming here, I had only tried Masala Dosa (potato), and had no idea there were so many possible variations. Dosa Plaza has more than 100 different dosa choices! Many of them contain cheese, but the helpful chap behind the counter went through the menu and ticked all the vegan ones for us. On his recommendation, we chose the Mysore mushroom dosa. It was fab. I forget the name of the other dish we had, which was even better. I think it started with 'u'. It was like big round pizza base made of cooked rice all smoolched together. The veggies were embedded in it rather than on top. It was pan fried and a bit oily and crispy. OMG! Yumm!

The food was freshly cooked to order, and took longer than expected for a food court, about 10 minutes. Not sure how they must cope in the lunch hour rush. It may have been because they were veganising it for us.

Lucky for us the 'proper' restaurants were all closed or we probably would not have wandered into this culturally barren looking food court and found this fabulous feast.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 07, 2014

Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 07, 2014

Pros: Great food and friendly service, Lots of vegan choices, Food was freshly cooked
Cons: Longish wait for a food court

Dear Owner and Manager of Dosa Plaza - Metro Centre: