Dosa - Mission District

Serves meat, veg options available. South Indian restaurant with menu comprising several well-spiced vegetarian South Indian food and a selection of dosas. Happy hour specials. Modern decor with dimly warm lights in the evening. Located next door to Herbivore vegan restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Non-veg

First Review by diva
novackofo
novackofo
  • raw

Amazingly Vegan - Try the Filmore Restaurant

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2010

If there was 10 stars, Dosa would get all ten.

This is the greatest restaurant I have ever been to and I have been to really great restaurants all over the world. The atmosphere, decor and ambiance hits you as soon as you walk in and you know immediately you are at some place special. The menu is amazing with so many interesting choices. I am a vegan and they are more than accommodating.

I had the beet soup and the flavors practically knocked me off my seat. I have never tasted anything in my life with such an abundance of rich flavors. I also had the mung salad and it also was so delicious and edgy, I can't begin to describe the experience of both these truly remarkable and healthy dishes.

My entrée was a vegetable dosa and it was also beautifully presented and the flavors and the taste were so astonishing delicious. It was served with three sauces and none of them were overly spicy. The dosa was not greasy at all and prepared with health and taste in mind.

The presentation of each dish, the beautiful manner in which they were all served and the impeccable service was done with so much care and genuine sincerity to satisfy the customer at all levels.

Dosa is most definitely a restaurant on a different plateau than any other restaurant i have ever been to ....... I have to commend the owner, the people that work there, of course the chef for his brilliant execution of the cuisine and the management.

The restaurant was packed and I never for a moment felt that they were too busy to attend to each customer with the utmost care. It is obvious that this restaurant experiences huge crowds every night and is well prepared for the enclave. I was sitting with a lot of people around me and all I could here were "oohs and aahs".........

You have to dine here. Dosa is more of an experience than just dining out. Make sure to make reservations .....

I don't think I will ever be able to go to another restaurant without thinking about Dosa. So, this is my new hang out for sure.

sfliberal
sfliberal

Delicious

3 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2009

Dosa is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. Their Dosas are impeccable. Every Dosa I have had there has been fabulous. Their Sambar is great. They have always been very good when it comes to Vegans, offering a separate Vegan menu (with other dietary restrictions) when asked. The ambiance is perfect, the food is top quality, the service is outstanding. I can only give them 3 stars though because I reserve 5 stars for completely Vegan restaurants and 4 stars for completely Vegetarian restaurants. But, as far as non-Vegetarian restaurants go, Dosa is at the top of my list.

Pros: Dosas, Vegan-Friendly, Ambiance/Service
Cons: Not Completely Vegan, Not Completely Vegetarian
Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

Unfortunately, I can't recommend it.

2 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2008

While I really enjoyed the experience here the first time I went, the second time was so bad that I have got to recommend it be avoided by vegans. Go to Udupi Palace one block away instead. Neither restaurant is completely vegan but Udupi it is cheaper, vegetarian, better tasting and I would say much more understanding of your dietary restrictions.

Pros: Good Service, Atmosphere can be nice, Food can be good, but...
Cons: FOOD MADE ME SICK ONCE. (DAIRY??!), Can get very crowded and unpleasant, Trendy and overrated
  • sfliberal sfliberal

Dosa offers a separate Vegan and other dietary restrictions menu. They have always been very supportive and knowledgeable when it comes to Vegan options.

diva
diva

suspicious

2 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2008

I went there for dinner twice. The first time was great. The waitstaff was very helpful when we told them we were vegan. The food was amazing. It was loud in there, but we had a nice table away from the bar and even though it was busy we did not feel rushed.
The SECOND TIME SUCKED. We were sat near the bar were we kept getting hit by drinkers waiting for a table. The hostess was very nice, but the waiter sucked. We made it very clear what we ate and did not eat. The hostess gave us a special vegan menu. BUT...after we ate our "VEGAN" dinner, we both got stomach aches. (you know the kind when milk has been slipped to you). We are bummed cuz the first times was so great, but we will not be going back.

Pros: NICE HOSTESS
Cons: DAIRY in our "VEGAN" food
  • sfliberal sfliberal

I am a Vegan and go to Dosa quite a bit. I've never had any of those issues. They have always been very good when it comes to Vegan options (they have a separate Vegan menu)

Dear Owner and Manager of Dosa - Mission District: