Vegetarian Indian restaurant serving both North and South Indian food. Prices for main dish from 70-200 baht each dish. Price: Expensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Take-out
153/7, Sukhumvit Road, Soi -11/1 (35 meters inside Soi-11/1)
Bangkok, Thailand 10110
+ 66-02-6511700

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Yashodhara
Baldwin471
Baldwin471

Good, tasty Indian food

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2014

Firstly, this place isn't nearly as bad as some of the comments make out. Well, not in my experience anyway.

I'd recommend the potatoes cooked in tomatoes, cumin and onions. Vegan and really tasty. Ordered medium spice last time and it nearly blew my head off, so will go for mild next time. I don't exactly have a good spice threshold though, so bear that in mind.

Easy place to get to, with entrances on both Soi 11 and 11/1. Fairly cheap, not by Bangkok standards, but way cheaper than anything back in England would be for me.

Overall I'd recommend this place if you're within 3/4 BTS stops away, but I wouldn't say you should go out of your way for it.

Pros: Tasty curries, Excellent breads, Good location
Cons: Quite a long waiting time for food
kiki sound
kiki sound

not bad, not great

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

went 2 times to try out different dishes, first time I had nice food, but found it kind of overpriced considering the price of a meal in Bangkok, and the quality of the food.
second time I went I was completely dissapointed, with the service, and with the dishes I ordered this time, never went back...

Pros: open all day, open till late
Cons: not great food, overpriced
aradhakr
aradhakr

Dosa no good for place called "Dosa King"

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2014

For a place called "Dosa King" I expect to be wowed by the dosas. I ordered two plain dosas which came with a couple of chutneys and sambar. The dosas were small and a bit too thick. The sambar was good but the coconut chutney was a joke. I'm of South Indian background so I know how this stuff should taste.

Cons: expensive

jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Meh

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2014

We ate here on a recent trip due to its proximity to our hotel. We were happy to see the clearly-marked vegan options on the menu. Unfortunately the food was just OK. Given the name of the restaurant I suppose we would have been better off trying the dosas. The dishes we did try were incredibly bland. We asked for them spicy and they came out the least spicy of any Indian dish I've ever had. In fact they were almost entirely devoid of any spices at all. We mostly tasted tomato sauce. This was disappointing since we paid quite a bit by Bangkok standards. Given that there were a lot of other veg Indian restaurants nearby, I'd have to recommend trying one of those first.

Pros: vegan options
Cons: pricey, bland
Wansaree
Wansaree

Tasty Indian dishes in the heart of Bangkok

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2014

Conveniently located near a BTS (Nana Station). No parking, I would say. When I eat there, I park at Villa Supermarket building and buy some grocery to get free parking.
Worth a try.

Pros: Easy to get to
Cons: A bit pricey, No parking
HPL1977
HPL1977

Good Dosa a little Stingy on inner fillings

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

Best dosa I've tasted in Bangkok, OK you might need two if you have a big appetite but the other food is good too, if your a backpacker on a budget treat yourself, if your on a proper holiday make this a regular spot if you like Vege Indian food from both north and south

Vgan
Vgan

mediocre

Posted on 11 / 24 / 2013

For a place named after the dosa, I expected my masala dosa to be bigger, better and crispier. Expensive for what it is, and I resented the mandatory 10% service charge (always wonder if the money goes to staff or management). Big plus is that vegan items are clearly marked on the menu.

Pros: vegan items indicated on menu
Cons: pricey by Bangkok standards
Pawness
Pawness

Good food, a bit expensive

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

We have visited Dosa King a few times as a treat. The food is good and fresh and we enjoy the big selection on the menu. We have gone with friends to introduce them to this cuisine and they enjoyed the food very much.

Cons - The atmosphere feels like a "real" restaurant but the staff seems stressed out and are not friendly - very efficient and they appear to be micro managed and worried about their superiors' eyes on them. As a diner, that isn't a pleasant thing to notice. Also, it is overpriced - a dosa shoildn't be so expensive. It's just lentil flour and some onions and potatoes!

Pros: Good food, Quick service, Nice environment
Cons: Stressed out, unfriendly staff, Overpriced
AmericanPhil
AmericanPhil

ok

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

Good place but very overpriced. Won't return just based on the pieces here. It's Bangkok not hongkong

Pros: good food
Cons: expensive
Miggi
Miggi

Vegan-friendly dosas and curry -yummy!

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2012

We were going to go to another veggie Indian place but were recommended Dosa King by someone at our hotel so thought we'd give it a go - if we'd read some of the other reviews here we probably wouldn't have gone, but we enjoyed it.
The menu is all vegetarian with vegan items marked clearly.
We had a Mangalore Dosa, regular dosa and a side of dahl. All the dishes had good flavour and the dosa pancakes were crispy. We also had fresh pineapple and watermelon drinks which worked well with the food.
I can see what others are saying about atmosphere - this is more a cafe / diner than a restaurant. Also value in terms of portion size. We were full without a starter or dessert, but did have a side as well as our mains. The whole meal cost about 700 baht for 2 people, which isn't cheap for Bangkok but not extortionate either.
It'd be great to have some music on in the background, slightly more enthusiastic service (though there were no problems) and a vegan mango lassi would perfect it for me!

Pros: Dosas, Flavou, Easy to find
Cons: vegan lassi please!
w11guy
w11guy

Decent restaurant with vegan options

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2011

The food here is decent, but isn't as good as many other vegetarian Indian restaurants. I've only been at lunchtime and while the service is pretty fast, the restaurant lacks atmosphere. Ok if you're in the area, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat they. Vegan dishes are marked on the menu, which is a definite plus point.

Pros: Vegan dishes marked on menu
Cons: Not much atmosphere, Staff could be a bit friendlier.
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Average dosas, interesting drinks

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2011

We popped in here for a quick snack after our self-made raw smoothies. Ordered a paper masala dosa, a mixed vege dosa and a paneer naan. The paper dosa was really big and crispy but empty - came with a potato mixture, 2 chutneys (coconut and coriander) and the usual rassam type soup. The rassam was pretty average - not nearly as good as the one we enjoyed at Saravana Bhavan in Singapore last week. Neither of the chutneys had much flavour. The mixed vege dosa was like a crepe folded in half, soggy from the veges (mainly carrots and peas) inside. Not particularly exciting really and really difficult to eat. The naan was a bit heavy and oily, not fluffy like I like them.

Whilst nothing was 'bad' it certainly was nothing to rave about. Probably among the lower ranks of the dosas we've tried so far. Enjoyed our drinks more - I had a tamarind juice and my partner had a cumin and mint drink which was quite spicily random but exotic and something different from the usual.

Would we go back? If in the area and seriously craving a dosa, perhaps. But probably not likely.

One thing I will say is the place was FULL of indians.. couldn't help wondering what they thought of the place ;)

Pros: clean, pleasant environment, prompt service, interesting drinks
Cons: food was average
enRoute
enRoute

Meh... edible

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2010

Not awful, though I did think the sambar was pretty bad and couldn't get anywhere with it. Dosa was just so-so, coco chutney was alright, kind of strangely thick. Free wi-fi is offered but it's mega-slow.

Pros: edible, air-con
Cons: not great, weird service
Molton
Molton

Tasty and pricey.

Posted on 03 / 27 / 2010

I ordered the spinach and cottage cheese main dish (Saag Paneer) for 160 Bath. I've got some tasty food in appetizer size. Luckily, the neversmiling waitress was asking me, if I don't want some rice or bread along with it. So I was taking a Tandori-Roti for 20 Bath. The Mango-Lassy for 100 Bath was delicious. Clever that they don't show the food-prices on their website, they would have even more empty chairs. I felt a bit uncomfortable, like always when I pay too much for what I get. By the way, in Soi 3 (left side when you enter from Sukhumvit), there's an Indian Restaurant which offers a hole Vegetarian Thali (plate with lots of different dishes) for 300 Bath including bread and tea.

Pros: Taste, Location
Cons: Price, Size of dish
JesseD
JesseD

Good, Clean, Tasty Indian Vegetarian Food

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2009

I went here twice while in Bangkok last week and have been several times since it opened at its new location at Nana.

I can't understand the huge range of reviews here. I can't say it's the best in the world (I've had better in New Zealand, and India of course) and think some of these reviews are a little over the top; before it closed Taj did a very similar Dosa for a much lower price. However, it does serve great veg Indian food, has friendly and efficient service, and for its convenient location (very close to Nana skytrain station), prices are more than reasonable - comparable to a Subway sandwich up the road. Even better, the menu clearly labels vegan dishes. Especially with Taj closed, this is now my favourite restaurant in the Sukhumvit.

I don't know why someone said "partly veg, partly not veg". When I went (last week) I thought it was all veg, but I didn't specifically ask or check. Perhaps someone could confirm?

The Masala Dosas were especially good. Recommended!

Pros: Great food, well priced for Sukhumvit, Good location
Krsnamayi
Krsnamayi

Not the King of Dosa

Posted on 04 / 12 / 2009

I've lived in India for 8 years, and I have to say that Dosa King....is certainly not the King of Dosas. It's not that they were bad....just simply nothing special. Very average Dosa for a not-average price. I've had a million better dosas for one tenth of the price of these. Also the coconut chutney was pretty lame, and the Sambar was not spicy.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Nice decor
Cons: average food, expensive, small portions
NeilFoodie
NeilFoodie
  • non-vegetarian

Exceptional dosas, excellent service

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2009

While on business this year in Bangkok, I had the pleasure of dining at Dosa King perhaps 20-25 times between January-March of 2009. This was far and away my favorite restaurant in Bangkok. The service by the staff is extraordinary. I would usually walk in, nod to the owner, and immediately they would remember that I loved dosas with Diet Coke. In addition, they remembered that I liked my dosas less crispy.

I was very impressed by this level of service and attention. The food here is amazing and the air-con and decor is a good escape from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok's Sukhumvit Rd. I look forward to my next trip to Bangkok and more dosas and Diet Cokes at this top level restaurant.

Pros: Excellent, friendly staff, Delicious dosas, Nice air-con and decor
Cons: Pricy for Thai people, No alcohol avail
ashrz
ashrz

Dosa King is a decent place!

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2009

I agree with Andrew largely.Can't say its the best in the world but definitely in Bangkok its a very decent place for a good vegetarian Indian meal, good ambience, clean - slightly overpriced though.Safest bet so far.Do try their gol gappa's as a starter :)

Andrew Clift
Andrew Clift

The Best Indian In Asia / the World

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2007

How this restaurant scores only 2 out of 5 defies us. We have lived in India and Asia in general for years at a time and have never experienced such outstanding quality and service as that provided by Dosa King. When the first restaurant closed we were most upset. Now that part 2 has opened the universe is back in order. If anything, the quality in the Soi 11/1 site has improved. There is definitely no better quality vegetarian OR Indian restaurant in BKK, and I defy anyone to name another restaurant that is so consistently good. My wife and I spend significant periods each year in Europe, the Americas, Asia and Australia and know of no better vegetarian establishment (the only place that comes close is Restaurant Prinz Myshkin in Munich (www.prinzmyshkin.com) in terms of quality of food, service, quality and general experience. Also worth mentioning is Dosa King's ability to prepare such outstanding traditional food with very little oil. In summary, Dosa King is the best vegetarian restaurant on earth. My wife and I have dined there on at least 100 occassions and have NEVER been served a dish we would rate under 8/10. Do yourself and your family a favour and drop in (several times) to this gem of a restaurant.

Pros: Food, Service, Consistently
Cons: none, none, none
Yashodhara
Yashodhara

lost its mojo

Posted on 12 / 17 / 2007

tis restaurant, after its move, has lost its mojo and is not as good as it used to be. If you want a really simple place, but rock hard idlis and sometimes cold and sometimes warm food, maybe this is your thing ut I was severely disappointed

Pros: vegetarian, nice owners
Cons: so-so food

Dear Owner and Manager of Dosa King: