Serves meat, veg options available. Cafe and music venue. Reported no longer serving vegan cheese for pizza, Oct 2014. Only frozen pizza. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Pizza, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
107 W Cook St Ste G (Vinegar Hill)
Springfield, Illinois 62702
217-523-5300

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by XVeganSxeX
ohheynasaurus
ohheynasaurus

No more vegan pizza

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2014

Donnie's has gotten rid of their menu and now only has frozen pizza, which last time I checked a few weeks ago, none was vegan. They still have hummus and pita, I believe.

LaurenV
LaurenV

Amazing Place!

Posted on 04 / 18 / 2013

What a great find as we were driving to St. Louis! Excellent and varied menu; something for everyone. He had the southwestern black bean burger and I had the sweet potato chickpea pita with coconut curry. Just spicy enough and very flavorful! Cool location and we'll be back! Ashley is a doll!!

Pros: location, outdoor seating, live music
veganmiss
veganmiss

Awesome Vegan Food and Live Music

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2013

Donnie's is very vegan friendly with many appetizers and entree's to choose from. The menu is marked with vegetarian items (which there are a lot more to choose from if you are not a vegan but a vegetarian). To start, one can get the vegan antipasto. I've gotten this twice now. It's a big appetizer, so be prepared to share. It comes with garbanzo beans, olives, giardiniera, tomatoes, garlic, spinach tossed in a pesto vinaigrette served with hummus and pita. Other appetizers include hummus, chips and salsa, and chips and guacamole.

There are two burgers on the menu, but I have not asked if they are vegan since I normally get pizza here. They include a veggie burger and a black bean burger (get both without mayo and cheese if it's vegan!). Donnie's has a number of wraps too include a hummus wrap, a Indian curry wrap, and a falafel wrap that are vegan. On their lunch menu, they have a BBQ tofu wrap as well. I've had the Indian curry wrap and the falafel wrap. I preferred the falafel to the curry wrap. I kind of was overwhelmed with the curry wrap and felt like I should be eating it with a fork as curry is intended. The flavor was good, though, as was the falafel wrap.

Now, for the exciting part: the pizza. Donnie's has Daiya vegan cheese! Be warned, the red sauce has Parmesan in it, so ask for the vegan pizza sauce. I like to build my own thin crust with a variety of veggies like tomato, spinach, garlic, basil, artichoke, mushroom, onion, etc. I'm not sure if they can make a vegan deep dish. It would be worth asking! Next time I'm in, I'll ask. For dessert, there is a vegan carob brownie!

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2013/01/vegan-springfield-il-part-three.html

Pros: vegan-friendly, vegan cheese, live music

XVeganSxeX
XVeganSxeX

good food and good tunes!

Posted on 11 / 05 / 2012

This is a really cool restaurant. It's a lot more than just your regular pizza place. They are working every week to win over vegans! Vegan milkshakes, brownies and pizza! Different specials weekly! Also great bands play here. They are open late 7 days a week.

Pros: atmosphere, food, location
Cons: sometimes cover, servers knowledge of menus

Dear Owner and Manager of Donnie's Homespun: