An organic restaurant, added a raw food menu in late-2013. Also is a shop and bakery selling products that are vegan, organic, and support fair trade. Closed August month. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Italian, Raw, Beer/Wine, Bakery

samlove0134
samlove0134

perfect for travelers

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2014

Can't believe I was lucky enough to visit this place. Great desserts and ravioli. Plus the people are extremely friendly. Self serve

lauraXsynthesis
lauraXsynthesis

Excellent vegan resource

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2014

Dolce Vegan had the best selection of vegan desserts I found in Florence - including tiramisu. The little shop was the only place I found Musculo di Grano seitan for sale so it was great to stock up before I left Italy.

Pros: Desserts, Choice, Shop
Cons: Location - a bit remote, Expensive, Not open late afternoon
toolwins
toolwins

Excellent!

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2014

The food was wonderful, between the two of us we got three plates all were very, very good. So far this would have to be our favorite vegan spot in Florence (admittedly we've not hit them all yet, but don't worry we will). The girl at the counter made an excellent recommendation upon request - it was a pasta dish with seitan-based sauce; the eggplant parm was also VERY good. Also, it seemed like the food was ready before we even got to sit down. Highly recommended.

Pros: Great food, Great service, Friendly staff

VeganDakini
VeganDakini

Great vegan take on traditional Italian favourites

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2014

This lovely modern cafe and shop has a great menu of vegan takes of traditional Italian favourites including lasagne. The desserts are divine - try the tiramisu.

Pros: Excellent food
Cons: Few tables
alx
alx

Good, but strange service.

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

Great food, interesting selection of Italian classics (i.e. ravioli) and nice looking place - but the amount of food could be better. I am very happy i ordered both 1st and 2nd course, something i normally never do.

If you're on a budget such as i, you probably would consider this place somewhat expensive. At least in the higher end of mid-range.

As mentioned in a review further down, the service of this place is somewhat weird (half self-service, half restaurant). I'm sure Dolce Vegan has made this choice for some good reason, but if they just changed that little thing, i'd definately rate it 5 stars instead.

Pros: Great taste, Great menu, Good location
Cons: Weird service
earthville
earthville

Great food, divine desserts

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2014

I visited Dolce Vegan twice during my brief stay in Florence, and wish i could've gone more. The menu offers a refreshingly diverse array of options, from raw creations to classic comfort foods. Personally, i appreciate both, and i enjoy having the option to mix and match. On this count, out of the many good veggie restaurants we tried in Florence, Dolce Vegan wins for variety.

For those of you with a sweet tooth, i'd recommend both the 'cheese'cake and the tiramisu.

Note that, though HappyCow states they are open till midnight, they only take orders until about 11:30 (maybe earlier).

Enjoy!

Pros: all vegan, Good variety, including great desserts, reasonable prices
kirsten22
kirsten22

Great take away

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2014

We stopped here on the way back to our hotel, and were pleasantly surprised. The server was friendly and very helpful. Their menu is really big! Everything is vegan, which is always a huge plus. We had cheese, salted veggies, fettucini and lasagna. Everything was really good. The cheese was a bit pricey, but the other food seemed to be fairly priced. One thing important to note- if you get take away and are staying in a hotel, they do NOT have plastic silverware! However, the little shop next door does :) We definitely recommend stopping here!

Pros: Great food, Helpful staff, Good location
Cons: Prices a bit high, No plastic silverware for take away
borovnica
borovnica

Good food

4 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

I was there twice during my stay in Florence. The food was very good, especially the desserts. The second time I was there, I had the Vegan cheese burger, which was very tasty but a bit small.
But all in all, I liked it a lot, I am always happy to find all- vegan restaurants. And the staff was very friendly :)

*It's not possible to pay with card under €10- a definitive minus
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 30, 2014

Pros: Palm oil free, Gluten- free options, Very friendly staff
Cons: Can't pay with card under €10
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Excellent vegan gnocchi

4 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2013

We first came to Dolce on a Friday night without a reservation and were simply told "it's not possible". I didn't see any mention of reservations on their website, but perhaps I missed it. Not to be too deterred, I tried again for lunch the next day and found it much less crowded. The gnocchi with seitan ragu and vegan parm was excellent. The portion size was just right (I could maybe have eaten a little more, but probably shouldn't.) It came with a basket of bread that was OK. The price was very good as well. I would definitely visit again for lunch.

Pros: inexpensive, good italian food
Cons: limited seating
Tara HD
Tara HD

Delicious

5 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2013

I went there twice during my stay in Florence and just loved the food. It was also nice to have the opportunity to have a veganized version of a typical Italian dinner: Antipasti - First course - Second course and Desert.
The only thing I ordered and would not recommend was the Tiramisu. It had no taste (other than coffee) at all.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 19, 2013

Pros: delicious food, 100% vegan
Cons: flavourless Tiramisu
JenniferKoukla
JenniferKoukla
  • herbivore

OK Food, Strange Service

3 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2013

I have eaten at many vegan places around the world, and I have to say, this place was just ok. I am very happy there is a vegan restaurant in Florence so I don't want to be too negative, but the food did not blow me away. I have had better. The thing that I found most strange was the set-up. It is a self-service place in the sense that you seat yourself, you have to get your own menus, you have to get up to place your order at the bar, you have to get up to retrieve your food or drink etc. Very cold. At least if the owners wanted a self-service style they should do a buffet or open-style kitchen where you approach with your tray, get your food and find a seat. I found it all very confusing. Even as we had finished our meal and was chatting with the table next to us, the employee told us if we were finished, we had to leave. Overall, a very cold experience but I am still glad that there is a vegan restaurant in Florence so you should still try it, just don't expect any service.

Pros: Vegan
Cons: No service, Location a bit far out of center
  • alx alx

I agree with your review, however they didn't ask us to leave when we where done, so that bit might have changed since your visit. Still a very strange way to run a restaurant.

Yon223
Yon223
  • non-vegetarian

Great food

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

We ate here twice while visiting Florence. It's a fair walk from the tourist area but if you take the C1 bus, one of the small runaround buses that run every 20 minutes, you get there easily. the English menu helped a lot and the menu was varied and the food was great. The choice of main courses and deserts and drinks is very large and the food was superb.

Pros: Excellent food, Large varied menu, Good value
Marco Vegano
Marco Vegano

Delicious and very charming

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

My wife and I were only in Florence for a few days, but after eating once here, we had to return two more times! The dishes were very creative and delicious, and the place itself was very charming.

The store in the back is pretty cool too.

a sweet vegan
a sweet vegan

A restaurant for all diners

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2013

We went to Dolce Vegan on a Friday night without a reservation and were fortunate to be seated. The tables were all reserved. The entire menu is vegan which is unusual for Florence. Most restaurants we have been to had both vegetarian and vegan options. The menu is in Italian but the owner was very helpful in answering questions. The restaurant has wifi so I was able to translate some items on my phone translator. You order the food at a counter and when it is ready , you bring it to your table. You also pick up your own placemat and silverware. I found all of the prices to be very reasonable. Costs might be kept down because the owner and the chefs were the only workers I saw. I find this approach creative and it works positively for the customer. I found the set up appropriate for a vegan restaurant. It is very clean and neat and the decor pleasant . There is a large TV screen on a side wall that shows 3D nature scenes which are amazing. My husband ordered the seitan lasagna and I had a plate with tofu, salad and brown rice with vegetables. All of our food was excellent . Nothing was bland which vegan food can be. They also have condiments such as nutritional yeast, mixed herbs, and different types of vinegars. My husband could not resist dessert so he ordered a combination of two half orders of tiramisu and cheesecake. I shared the desserts with him and definitely recommend the tiramisu. The cheesecake was somewhat dry. We ordered a large bottle of still water. The organic wines looked good as well. We also had decaffeinated expresso which came in a small paper cup. I highly recommend this restaurant for all diners who are looking for healthy, tasty food with an excellent presentation in a pleasant atmosphere. The fact that it is vegan is a plus for us. We will definitely go back again. You really can't go wrong with anything on their menu. I recommend making a reservation. There is also a small store in an adjoining room with pamphlets and organic products to buy and which also has additional tables for diners. Dolce Vegan is open daily from 12-2:30 and 7-10:30.

Pros: good value, delicious food, pleasant atmosphere and owner
michaeltait
michaeltait

Very good in most respects

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

Small modern and clean is the first impression. The menu has range of vegan foods, from starter palatter, thru several courses, then deserts. Wines and beers are modest, many are gluten free, and the Asti Moscato was excellent. Meal sizes are modest, but then again so was the price (1.5 botles wines, starter x1, 2 x mains cost E43. Mock meats are very good, food was served hot, and ingredients were fresh (apart from bread which was day old. Authentic Italioan cuisine
Serve yourself from fron counter I guess saves on wages, and one front-of-house woman managed all service, and did it well. Clean up after yourself. Friendly!
I am confident first timer would not be disappointed
Michael Tait August 2013

Pros: Food, Cost, ambience
Cons: Not cool enough for summer heat, Stale bread
bencamps
bencamps

The Best Menu I Have EVER Seen!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2013

I am a bit bias as Italian is my favourite cuisine but this was pure torture! The first visit (28th June) my partner and I popped in during the day so she could get a cake to take away (Tiramisu), she loved it. We went back that evening and I had the mixed appetiser (vegan cheeses, meats, marinated tofu, saitan and tempah) and ravioli with saitan ragu. My partner had the carbonara. Both were orgasmic. We washed it down with half a bottle of local wine which at 6 euro is cheaper than a glass in most of Florence. We had to go back the following night, I had lasagne and my partner the gnocchi with saitan ragu plus a cake to take away, again all was excellent. The place itself has a large 'fishtank tv' (a tv with images of fish swimming around, rather relaxing), is clean and modern yet dimly lit and cosy. They are quite strong on the vegan message without being too forceful/over the top. Menus are available in both Italian and English. There is no waitress service but this probably helps to keep the price so low. We left very satisfied both nights, the first night €31, the second €27, for the quality of the food this represents amazing value! They also sell vegan meats, cheeses etc. to take away. I couldn't recommend Dolce Vegan enough!

cammies
cammies

AMAZING

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2013

I had never been to Italy before, and I was basically resigned to sticking to a few staples (pizza, spaghetti, bruschetta) for the extent of our 6-day trip in Florence. When I found this restaurant on Happy Cow, I was thrilled there was vegan food within walking distance from our hotel. I didn't even care if it was good or not, it was just a relief to not worry about conveying "no meat or cheese" in a language I can't speak. But HOLY COW this place is amazing. We probably tried about 2/3 of the menu, which is fairly extensive. We ate here for every dinner and two lunches. The owner was really nice, and the atmosphere was clean and cozy. It was small but that added to the charm, one night we shared a table with a couple from Brazil which made excellent dinner conversation. I'm writing this review almost a year after our visit - Dolce Vegan is still on my mind and I miss it dearly! - so i can't quite remember everything we ate there. I do remember the ravioli which was absolutely the best ravioli I have ever had...it reminded me of pre-vegan days. I also remember the seitan "pot roast", i can't remember if that's what it was called but it was served cold and totally amazing. We got the tiramisu every single night, and would also order extra sandwiches to pack for picnics the next day. My husband and I love to eat, and eating while traveling used to be our favorite thing to do. Dolce Vegan filled a huge hole that we usually feel on vacations since going vegan 6 years ago. We were able to completely indulge in delicious food without worry of hidden ingredients. Our trip to Florence would not have been nearly as enjoyable if not for Dolce Vegan. I would love to go back to Florence, just to eat there again :)

Pros: delicious!!!, cozy, friendly owner
BridgetAnne
BridgetAnne

Delicious Authentic Italian Vegan Food

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

After searching for Vegan fare on Happy Cow, we decided to try this restaurant because it was pretty close to where we were traveling that day. I guess luck was on our side because the food was DELICIOUS. We went out of our way to go back the next day. I had the Ravioli the first visit, and the Lasagna the second, and both were fantastic. Also, the Tiramisu was heavenly.
The restaurant is cute and modern and very clean. The woman working at the counter was very friendly and helpful. I wouldn't describe the prices as inexpensive, but the portions were good and it was well worth the money for the fantastic food.
This was one of the highlights of our trip to Italy. I highly recommend a visit to Dolce Vegan.

Pros: Delicious food, Cute clean atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Closed in afternoon until 7
priya108
priya108

Delicious

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

The food is amazing! The Ravioli exquisite.
However, no table service at all, which on the positive side dose reduce price.
Not sure if you can reserve tables, but definitely worth trying, because unless you are lucky and come when someone is leaving you could end up waiting for a while, and quite awkwardly too!
As for portions, this is Italy where you buy courses, so if you are hungry order more than one course.
Otherwise relax, take your time, and savor the delicious food :)

Pros: Amazing food!, Prices reasonable, Healthy
Cons: Seating, Not very user friendly for first-timers
Tofupower
Tofupower

Amazing.

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2013

I visited Dolce Vegan a couple of weeks ago after reading the other awesome reviews on Happy Cow - I was not disappointed. It was amazing. So many different options that I hadn't seen on a vegan menu before. I got a ravioli with a seitan Ragu sauce.. It was mind blowingly delicious!! And the tiramisu was amazing! My non vegan sister got a cheese burger was really enjoyed it too. Can't wait to go back here - even if the service was a bit odd and the waitress seemed to be having a bad day..

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent organic wine, Easy to locate
Cons: Strange waitress, Confusing self service, Slightly small portions
Eike
Eike

The Best Vegan Restaurant For Us

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

This wonderful vegan, organic and fair trade restaurant is by far the best we've come across on our travels around Europe. The menu offers a wide range of dishes from appetizers, first courses and second courses to combination plates, salads and desserts. (Be warned the Tiramisu is highly addictive and you’ll find yourself wanting to go back for more.) More often than not, vegan and organic food costs a bit more but we were pleasantly surprised that the cost of this non-violent, eco-friendly and healthy is very reasonable.
The menu comes in both Italian and English and explains why Dolce Vegan was created.
We highly recommend Dolce Vegan to anyone visiting Florence.

Pros: excellent food, vegan desserts, menu
DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

Probably the best vegan desert on Earth

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

This place is just amazing. I had great expectations about it after reading the happycow reviews and I was not disappointed.
I had pasta with vegetables and a vegan cheese that was really good and my girlfriend had another one with a delicious sausage.
But the deserts made the night complete. Their cheesecake are just PERFECT and the tiramisu is just HEAVEN. And there is another one called "milifolia"(or something like that) that is also amazing. If you're vegan, forget about the other restaurants in Florence(unless for the pizzas) and go to Dolce Vegan more than once.

Pros: Delicious, Nice atmosphere, Best desert ever
L_Almo_Clelarco
L_Almo_Clelarco

Cozy, lovely Vegan restaurant

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

I had the chance of having dinner at Dolce Vegan during a stay in Firenze.
The place is really nice, run by a super energetic vegan girl.
There is no table service but the fact didn't bother me: the place is nice yet familiar, so it was ok.
I had a wonderful serving of ravioli filled with vegan cheese and dressed with a vegan ragout, really great.
I then had lasagne, which were really good, not exceptional.
Very interesting desserts.
As a whole, I strongly reccomend visiting Helena's restaurant: you won't be disappointed.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Helena's friendliness, Ravioli!
Lyon
Lyon

Vegans' heaven!

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2013

I wanted to try this restaurant soooo much because HappyCow's review was very good, and my expectation was not betrayed. I ordered vegan carbonara, divine Gnocchi and some other dishes which I shared with my friends. The gnocchi was truly divine!!! Everything I had here was simply so superb. We also ordered some desserts - I had tiramisu, which was commended by so many reviewers. And it was THE right choice, although all other desserts also looked ever so good. It was a shame that I could dine there only once while I was in Firenze. Although the restaurant is slightly far from the central part of Florence, it is worth a visit for every vegan. I will definitely go there if I have another chance to go to Florence.

Pros: Excellent food!, English menu, English speaking staff
Asleep On A Sunbeam
Asleep On A Sunbeam

Very enjoyable

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

The restaurant looks like it should be soulless. Big fat Tv on the wall. Clinically clean. Straight lined tables. Black and white.

But the decor works. The place is small and very charming. Though the plants were fake they weren't tacky. The place mats and cutlery you get yourself, all are identical. And all talk about the animal industries in Italian. The bathroom is filled with vegan stickers. Nothing is graphic.

The TV plays cute animals mainly in the wild. Nothing bloody though, so your meal won't be ruined!

The music is chilled. Lots of kings of Convienience, music that I quite enjoy.

The food was high in quality and low in price. The cheese burger is wonderful and addictive (I think vegusto was used).

The gnocchi was filling and lasagne a rare treat for us.

The best dish was the ravioli at the bottom of the menu (not that we tried it all, but we ate a lot of their food.

The deserts however we underwhelming. We only had them 1/3 of our visits.

The main courses are small however, so buy 2!

The food we bought in the shop was awful though. We bought some fake meat casserole and did not enjoy it.

The menus are mainly in Italian.

Pros: price, quality, atmosphere
Cons: shop food, deserts, portion sizes
Rahoul
Rahoul

Excellent restaurant!

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

Really enjoyed my experience at Dolce Vegan, which is in the centre of Florence not far from Piazza della Libertá. The ambiance is relaxed but fairly stylish and the clientele is a mix of savvy locals and tourists. Everything my wife and I ordered was excellent and, as others have mentioned, the tiramisu is superb! Definitely worth a visit or two or three next time you are in Florence!

***

Un bellissimo locale nel cuore di Firenze, nei pressi della Piazza della Liberti. Atmosfera tranquilla ma alla moda. La clientela comprende Fiorentini e turisti ben informati. Tutto quello che abbiamo ordinato era buonissimo e, come hanno detto altri su questo forum, il tiramisu e magnifico! Vi consiglio di visitare subito questo locale!

Pros: Great food, Fully vegan, including wines, Lovely atmosphere
Cons: None!
Phoegan12
Phoegan12

Tip top

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

So hungry & eager to fill my stomach with such delicious sounding vegan food.Menu in italian, ordered a starter of raviolli with a cheese & vegan meat filling & vegetables with a white sauce- OMG, the flavours danced on my palette, for main i had a tempeh & vegetables for protein- pretty much flavourless but nutritious, my mum liked it though so swapped with her vegan cheeseburger- wonderful another tick from my tastebuds, for dessert ordered a cheesecake with berry jam on top,& a tiramisu for me-not the best ive had, the cheesecake was nice though. By this time i was full but the chocolate cheesecake looked so delicious i had to get it shared it with mum chocolate was melting in my mouth, good little store outback - many options, nice atmosphere. A must go to for a huge variety & vegan sensation

Pros: Beautiful food, Good value, Kind staff
Cons: Had to order, get food, from counter
sokristina
sokristina

best vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2012

Everything we ordered was amazingly delicious, seriously! The best food ever, it is worth returning to again and again! We had the vegan lasaña, vegan cheese ravioli and seitan in sauce with roasted potatoes, tiramisu, etc.

Pros: VEGAN, EXCELLENT FOOD, FRIENDLY STAFF
Cons: SMALL RESTAURANT
JohnMcNally
JohnMcNally

Memories...

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2012

I wish I live in Firenze for this place alone. The service was friendly and warm, the food was delicious. I had a Lasagna which the memory of it has me almost salivating.

The Cheesecake that followed was divine and the vegan whipped cream topped it off!

Then the two croissants I took away... So annoying I only visited the city for a day from Rome.

Open up a branch in England!!

Pros: Taste, Cost, Custom
Cons: Only based in Florence...
Austinthevegan
Austinthevegan

Filling and delicious

4 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2012

You won't even know its vegan. I had the spinach and cheese filled ravioli, it was delicious and very filling. My girlfriend had pesto gnocchi which is never vegan at any other restaurant. We both walked out full and very happy satisfied customers. We will have to go back before we leave Florence to try some desert. We were very grateful to have a vegan option like this in italy. There is a lot to choose from on the menu

Pros: Diverse menu, Classic Italian cuisine, Friendly owner
burbruji
burbruji

20 points out of 10!

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

I was amazed by this restaurant.

Great menu with all the delicious Italian dishes you'd expect to taste in Italy, amazingly turned vegan. Great selection of deserts, pity I was so full that I could just try a tiny bit of sweet!

The service is excellent, very friendly and willing to explain with passion all about their restaurant as, and I remark as wrongly stated in many reviews, the disposable glasses and cutlery: if you're curious or shocked, you just have to ask! Everything is made out of corn, meaning that is 100% biodegradable. Still, I'm not sure it wouldn't be more ecological to use reusable cutlery and clean it with ecological products, but at least it's way better than plastic.

My boyfriend, as and omnivore had, according to his words: "the best cheeseburger he has ever eaten" :)
They also sell some interesting stuff such as few vegan eatables, interesting books and even shoes of the "vegetarian shoes" brand (hard to find to my experience).

When your order is ready you'll have to go pick it up when they call out your name. To me, the fact you're also doing something and not just being an "accommodated customer" is even a plus, as you get more interaction and you get a friendlier feeling of the place.

We ate until we could no more, and if my memory doesn't tell me wrong I don't think we paid more than 30.

Only little thing I would change, but this just a personal point of view: even if the music is correctly in a low volume, I think it would rather suit better the kind of restaurant an atmosphere relaxing music than the kind of "electro-lounge" I just couldn't not notice that night.

All in all, I recommend this place 100%. Central, friendly, delicious, inexpensive...

Bellissimo!!! :)
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 11, 2012

Pros: excellent food, unexpensive, friendly
mojri
mojri

A lot of vegan options

3 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

There are a lot of vegan options in the menu. Tortellini was very tasty, tempeh with vegetables a bit creasy. The owner speaks English and they accept credit cards, so the place is good for tourists also. We did not need a reservation in Saturday evening.

Prices were in a reasonable level. I do not understand disposable plates and glasses, they felt like eating in MacDonalds.

veganmamma
veganmamma

Fabulous

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2012

We were so happy to find this place. We ate there 3 times in 2 days. Long hours, some of which they have a smaller menu. Homemade pasta was wonderful. It's not so easy to find vegan food in Italy, so we were so excited about this spot.

desmoinesvegan
desmoinesvegan

A Must for Vegetarians/Vegans

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2012

Dolce Vegan has a big menu including salads, sandwiches, pasta&gnocchi, and even vegan cheeseburgers. the prices aren't too high, and the food is really good. It's informal, and you can also get take away if you want. They have a nice little section in their restaurant that has vegan grocery items (i.e. agave, vegan cheese, pasta, soy milk). They're always very helpful and friendly. The best vegan food that I've had in Italy! It is about a 20 minute walk North from the tourist center, but well worth it.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Healthy cuisine
TSkidC
TSkidC

Simply awesome

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2012

We have just finished an amazing meal at Dolce Vegan. The entire meal was very tasty and the desserts were incredible. We will definitely be back. Probably tonight for dinner!

SnuggleBear
SnuggleBear

Excellent food, a fun time, and a great welcome

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

This was the first Happy Cow destination I had on our trip to Italy and it was wonderful.
We walked in on a Saturday evening and took a table as it was empty save one other person. We were then asked if we had reservations which was odd because it was essentially empty. Within an hour, the place was completely packed (it is one relatively small room with about ten tables), with people waiting to get a seat.
That Saturday night we ordered about four courses starting with three large raviolis that were filled with a faux meat and great cheese substitute. For an entree, I had a breaded seitan that came with a side of fresh seasonal vegetables. and, for dessert, we had the chocolate cheesecake. The desserts seem to rotate frequently and the menu, overall, was wide and varied enough that it would take weeks to get through everything I wanted to try.
We had such a great time that we ended up making reservations for the following night assuming that no other place in the area could possibly compare! The next night we had sandwiches. I had a breaded seitan-like burger that was great and similar to my meal the night prior but on a burger setting. The seitan here is unlike seitan that I have ever had or made myself. It was extremely moist and tender, very good.
I would highly reccommend this place to any vegan, vegetarian, or anybody who wants quality fresh food and is visiting Florence. One of the common complaints on here is the use of compostable materials for dining, but I don't know enough of the specifics to know why that is used as I know that it may be an issue of space and, in the end, may use less resources as this is not the only environmentally-conscious restaurant that employed the same policy on silverware.
I will conclude with the final highlight of the meal which was a tiny cup of espresso topped by a non-dairy whip cream. As it is rather difficult to find soy milk at cafes in Italy, this was wonderful and a great way to end each evening.

This restaurant also has English-language menus and the owner also speaks very good English if that is a concern.

Pros: excellent food, wide menu, positive atmosphere
Sprout
Sprout

Prepare yourself for vegan heaven in Italy!

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

I ate here 3 out of 4 nights in Florence. There's a huge menu of traditional Italian dishes, plus things like burgers, etc. You can have a multi-course meal, Italian style, or just get a sandwich. The menu is quite extensive, and between the two of us over several nights we were able to sample a lot of the offerings without coming close to exhausting the menu. The lemon seitan melts in your mouth, and I'm still dreaming about the gnocchi and tortelli first courses (both with pesto.) The desserts were sublime, but having tiramisu for the first time since going vegan was a real treat. You can't go wrong with anything on this menu and the portions are enough to leave you satisfied. Between two of us we shared an appetizer, a first course, chose two main courses, and then shared a dessert, and we were actually a little too full. I had the vegan red wine which was delicious. Oh, the cold cuts and cheeses appetizer is kind of awesome. American companies haven't figured out how to replicate salami, but the Italians certainly have.

The young woman at the counter was incredibly friendly and helpful. She speaks English, and on our second night she had just finished writing up the English menu. The place is smallish but a very nice and comfortable space. We stayed a couple of hours each time and just enjoyed the meal and atmosphere. It's past the tourist trap district so you get a more authentic feel for the city. There's also a small vegan shop inside. You might want to make a reservation if going on a weekend. We didn't realize this on our first night, but she was able to give us a table anyway which was nice.

I can't recommend this place enough. I found the prices fair for the food received and it's just a nice place to hang out. I didn't realize the first night that you order at the counter, so take note of that. I look forward to returning some day to sample the rest of the menu.

Definitely go here and enjoy a splendid vegan meal!

Pros: excellent food, large variety, nice space
emilyt_w
emilyt_w

Nice

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2012

Great little spot, well worth the time I got lost getting there (although not because of distance - only because of my poor sense of direction and map reading skills!). Very close to main area (near Duomo). Big range of food and all organic too which is bonus, aswell as recycled/biodegradable utentils etc. Deserts are fab and super fresh!! and finally, soy cappuchino in Italy (my first - impossible to come by!!). Not cheap, but not expensive. Good portion sizes (not overly big or overdone with oils etc like traditional italian places around). Full italian traditional menu including vegan pasta (with cheese!!!) and all the healthy lighter stuff I normally have at home like brown rice, chickpea etc sort of dishes. A very good menu and mix - going back tomorrow again to have more!! If you're a vegan, vego or a meat eater (seitan on the menu and awesome vego burgers) you will thoroughly enjoy it!

Pros: light, fresh, wide variety
AlyssaMiller
AlyssaMiller

Amazing!

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

I am in love with Dolce Vegan. The food is amazing. I go into NYC often, and Dolce Vegan is just as good as the vegan restaurants there. They often a wide range of Italian dishes and then some classic vegan options such as a cheeseburger or seitan and vegetables. And the desserts are amazing. The staff is always really friendly.

There is a small store in the back where you can buy basic groceries and a few things with as vegan cheese, tofu, seitan, soymilk ect.

It is a little out of the way compared to the main tourist attractions (10-15 minute walk), but worth it. I've had my best meals in Florence here!

Pros: Amazing food, friendly staff, grocery store
wyrd
wyrd

Good vegan place

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2012

Dolce Vegan is a small vegan restaurant in the centre of Florence, within walking distance from the main touristic attractions.

There are a number of lovely pastries and cakes 100% vegan, and I love that. Plus, the main dishes are original (seitan, soy cheese, tofu...), although portions are not that generous. Prices are fair, not low.

The lady who's usually there is really friendly, and her dog is amazing!

Pros: Original dishes, A lot of cakes and pastries!, Friendly staff
emme emme
emme emme

Good food but don't be in a hurry!

4 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2012

This nice restaurant is only a ten minute walk from Piazza Duomo. It's very small and there's no table service, so you have to leave your order at the counter, where a very friendly young woman will call you when it's ready. I ate here one time during a very busy Sunday. I didn't have a reservation which is very reccomended. I waited a really long time (almost one hour!) before being served. At the end the food was delicious, maybe not the best but, quite good. I had "cotoletta alla milanese" with roasted potatoes with a salad as a side dish, really tasty and fresh. The portion was a little small so I was hungry, but didn't want wait again for something more. They serve some delicious-looking cakes, but I didn't try them. There are two small dining rooms. You can buy some vegan products and books, and you can find free magazines about vegan and vegetarian news. I will go again but not on Sunday and I'll try the wonderful cakes. It wasn't very cheap, but everything is expensive in Florence. (P.S. in Italy olive oil and vinager is usually the only salad dressing that you can find in restaurants, so don't complain about it and wait to return home for French dressing and others that are even less healthier.)
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 02, 2012

Pros: healthy cuisine, very friendly staff, 'Plastic' cutlery
Cons: small, slow service
artilibere
artilibere

Best vegan cakes ever!

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

If you are in Florence, you must go there.

The funny and quiet dog is a plus of friendship.

Pros: marvellous cakes, joyful tastes, smiles
TofuCelt
TofuCelt

'I felt as if I have just been robbed'

2 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

I have travelled the world, to well over 50 countries, and in most countries, I have tried and tested Vegan or Vegetarian restuarants. This has got to be, by far, the worst that I have ever travelled too, mainly just because of the terrible value for money. Even for Italy, which is normally very expensive, this was outrageous value. As my partner said when we came out: 'I felt as if I have just been robbed'. To start off with, this place is a good bit outside of the centre of the town, so it involves a good walk, which is the last thing you want to do after a heavy days sight-seeing. Besides, the walk is not worth it and you will be dreadfully disappointed. The only positives I can say about this place is that the staff are fairly friendly and the place is clean...but that is where the positives start and end. You have to go up to the counter to place your order. The service is also extremely slow. We only ordered a burger and two so-called hotdogs and a salad. The salad was the worse salad I have ever got in a restuarant. We even had to flavour it ourselves with the only choice they had - olive oil and vinegar. So basically they just through a few veggies into a bowel. When we finally got our meal, we were disgusted with the size of it. It was tiny. Rabbit food comes to mind! In fact, I don't think a rabbit would find it filling. The so-called veggie hotdogs were the smallest I have ever seen, about the size of a your pinky finger. It is just as well we ordered two!! In fact, we first ordered two burgers, but even though the place was empty and we were early, they had said they only had one burger left. Ridiculous! We asked about the size of the hotdogs, so that is why we ordered two. Our food, which we had to collect at the counter, was given to us on paper plates with plastic cutlery, apparently recyclable. Do they know how much water, engergy, etc. it takes to produce these in the first place?? Is it really so much effort to use human energy and wash decent cutlery? I won't use my partners full wording to it involved the words 'Lazy....'. And to add insult to injury, we got the bill. A whopping €28 for just a tiny bland burger, miniscule hotdogs, tasteless salad and 2 soft drinks (the best of the lot). Never again! Avoid like the plague. If you want to be robbed, just leave your purse open around the Doumo. At least you expect that. I am a strict vegetarian, but even I would not support this place ever again. Rubbish. If I could, I'd give this a 1 cow.

Pros: Clean
Cons: Very Expensive, 'Plastic' cutlery, Tiny proportions
garyelovitz
garyelovitz

Delicious!

5 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2012

Surprisingly good vegan food. Vegan variations on traditional Italian cuisine. Even my kids, who are very picky eaters, ate everything happily.

Leasy-lou
Leasy-lou

Incredible

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2011

The most amazing vegan food I think I've ever had. I ordered the seitan ravioli with pesto sauce and my parter ordered the lasagna, about 8 euro each. Although we were first underwhelmed with the portion sizes, we were easily full after the meal. They totally nailed the texture, smell and taste of the fake meat and cheese (my boyfriend (non vegan) said it tasted like the real thing); it was great to be able enjoy authentic Italian food! They also gave us heaps of free wholegrain bread and mineral water. We had chocolate cake and croissant for dessert, which were so good we went back the next day for breakfast.

The bakery was also awesome- I've never seen so many vegan cakes, pastries and biscuits in one place. Dolce Vegan is an absolute must for any vego or vegan visiting Florence- one of the most memorable food experience if my life!

Pros: Delicious , Bakery, Organic
trinitybourne
trinitybourne

Nice Vegan eating place in Florence

3 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2011

Visted Dolce Vegan this evening with my 11 year old son... it was a great hit! There is something for everyone here. The lady who owns the place was very helpful. You can eat in or take out one of the vast selection of cookies and desserts. The dishes are mainly Italian type i.e.raviolli, lasagne although there are other options. The desserts are mouthwateringly delicious. There is also a little health food store out the back. For a vegan in Florence (or anyone) it is a welcome addition.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 07, 2011

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food, ten minutes from town centre
fearless
fearless

a vegan patisserie!!!!

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2011

Who would have thought you would be able to have an all vegan patisserie and have it all taste great! We tried two of their pasta dishes with both tasting fantastic. We are now working our way through a number of the breads and pastries that we ordered for take away - they are great too!
As a testament to how much we enjoyed their pasta we are driving from San Gimignano back to Florence tomorrow to have another look at the city - and to eat more vegan pasta! yum yum!

Pros: awesome pasta, good prices, friendly
Cons: they are not open where we live!?
ali.seiter
ali.seiter

Room for Improvement

3 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2011

Dolce Vegan comforted me as one of the only restaurants in Florence where I didn't have to mutter the question "Che sono qui senza latte/formaggio?" (Is there anything here without milk/cheese?) My eating experience was not bad, though nothing special, either. I was pleased to find whole grain bread to munch on while waiting for my food (it did not follow the Tuscan tradition of no salt, which I've actually come to adore, however). My first course was a whole wheat tagliatelle with carrots, zucchini, and greens served with soy cheese on the side. Though a bit oily and salty (oily, of course, expected in Italy), the vegetables had good flavor and I'm always thrilled to find dark leafy greens served in restaurants. However, my second course salad proved a let-down, if not a bit insipid. Tomatoes, capers, raisins, baked tofu, and raw zucchini lay over a bed of lettuce with olive oil on the side. An odd combination of ingredients that did not work together well, plus I could have sworn that I had bought the very same prebaked packaged organic tofu at Naturasi (a health foods market), that very same week. Finally, I sampled a cookie made with spelt flour, sunflower oil, agave nectar, and coconut. Tiny, dry, and crumbly, I remembered why I gave up most baked goods. On the plus side, all the bakery is made with whole grains and no refined sugar. I'm reserving my final judgement for a later trip. Perhaps Dolce Vegan is one of those restaurants where they only do a few things well.

See pictures and more restaurant reviews at my blog: http://farmersmarketvegan.wordpress.com/

Pros: Friendly staff., Plenty of whole grains., Varietal but not overwhelming menu.
Cons: Mediocre salads., So-so cookies., Staff doesn't speak English.
  • Jonathan Smith Jonathan Smith

I reviewed this not long after it first opened and it was good. However, something has changed. The last couple of times I've been (Sept & Nov) I was shocked to get tiny portions of not very flavoursome food on (recyclable)plastic plates and wth plastic forks. It was also not terribly friendly. It's the same people as the first time I went, but something has changed.

• TofuCelt TofuCelt

I couldn't agree with Jonathan more. I was only here a few days ago. It is a dreadful place, with tiny proportions, and bland tasting food. Horrible place.

j.lee
j.lee

GO. MULTIPLE TIMES.

5 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2011

This was probably our favorite dining experience in Florence. We must've stopped by here three times just to pick up baked goods for the mornings, and the sit-down menu was outstanding as well. Hopefully we didn't annoy the staff too much with our pathetic attempts at Italian!

Pros: Vegan, Pastries, Relatively Inexpensive
bobbyarroyo
bobbyarroyo

It's a hit or miss

3 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2011

I'm always happy to see vegan restaurants when traveling, and even more so when they have vegan desserts. But I found the food to be a bit insipid and under-achieving.

My girlfriend and I were excited to see all the desserts on display. The desserts were good, but they weren't amazing. I found the chocolate-caramel cake to be a little dry. My pasta seitan with tomato sauce was great tasting and the vegan cheese topping was delicious.

One thing that stood out in this restaurant was the biodegradable eating utensils. I think it's a stupid idea to have them for guests eating at the tables. It would be a great idea for take-out, but I see no need for throwaway products while eating inside.

Overall, it's a lovely little place and I probably would go again to try out more of the meals.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 30, 2011

Pros: Friendly & helpful staff
Cons: Small Portions, Plastic eating utensils
Beckle
Beckle

Love IT ;)

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2011

Fab little bakery using biodegradable plates and cutlery - even their hand soap in the bathrooms is vegan.

I had the tagliatelli and my partner had the ravioli - was great to find typical Italian food veganised. It is simple but traditional Italian food is! The only feedback I would offer is to maybe add Zucchini to the tagliatelli as it would go perfectly :)

We also purchased some biscotti, croissant, doughnut, fruit pastry and some biscuits - LOVED them all. Devine baking - you cannot go here and not have the lovely love heart biscuits and some baked goods YUMMO

Service was fantastic and the owner is very friendly. Must visit this place when in florence. Some may think it is a bit of a walk but it is so nice to get away from the touristy area for great food and fab service.

When we were there a couple had returned for the second day in a row for their sandwich slice things so they must be good - sadly I didnt have the opportunity to try them as not there long enough.

Pros: Pastries, Stock for sale, clean and quick
Joyatri
Joyatri

A must for vegans

4 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2011

We admire the commitment and courage of the owner to open an all-vegan restaurant/bakery in Florence. According to the owner, most people who dine there are not vegan. But, there are plenty of vegan outreach materials (including the placemats!) so hopefully, some will be persuaded towards cruelty-free eating.
My boyfriend and I had the ravioli with pesto and the eggplant "parmesan" (in photos above). They were both tasty. Whole wheat bread was served as well. Portion sizes weren't huge, so they there was plenty of room for dessert. Cakes come with soy whipped cream, so be sure to ask for it on the side or not at all if you're not a fan of it (I'm not). The fig cake was a little dry but the blueberry cheesecake was tangy and rich. We got four types of cookies to go as well. The one with jam topping was the best.

We liked the fact that the cutlery, plates, glasses were all bio-degradable.

Pros: commitment to veganism, vegan "Italian" food, vegan pastry
Cons: a bit pricey, smoke comes in open front door, cookies hit or miss
aadams1217
aadams1217
  • non-vegetarian

Great place

5 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2011

Traditional Italian fare veganized. Don't expect to find the obscure ingredients vegan restaurants use in the U.S. Those ingredients don't exist here (ie. nutritional yeast, chia seeds, etc.).

Hearty dishes that are savory. And the vegan cheesecake...yum.

Pros: food, staff, dessert
earthdave
earthdave

Good to find Vegan

4 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2011

We were so happy to find a place that is fully vegan and so committed to offering a wide range of foods, drinks and products in their grocery section.
Breakfast of sweet treats and coffee was great.
Our dinner was OK, but not spectacular. Our ravioli filled with 'cheese' and topped with pesto sauce was a bit bland. Sort of one-dimensional flavouring. More depth is needed on the recipes. With a little inventiveness, they would be packed like the vegetarian place a couple blocks away.

Pros: fully vegan so everything is safe, Soy caffe lattes!, great pastries and biscotti
Cons: dinner dishes not so exciting
minigrisena
minigrisena

to a vegetarian I would scarcely recommend it...

3 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2011

I would have loved to recommend this place but I can't. The girl who served us was very nice and had a lovely smile. The food, we had lasagna and ravioli, was very nice but not delicious. Would've be nice with something green.

The things we did not like was the plates of paper-like material, the plastic cutlery and the plastic glasses.

The portions were to small to make us satisfied.

Pros: Nice personel , Good food
Cons: small portions, plastic cups, no sallad (green stuff)
nancydong
nancydong

Happiest Vegan day in Italy!

5 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2011

a small and serene space for desserts and a daily special meal- managed by mother and daughter team. Food was traditional italian veganized. Delicious and tasty (albiet for my taste just a tad salty). We tried 6 half portions between the 3 of us- Tortelli with pumpkin, roasted seitan with potato, tortellini with veggies, lasagna with besciamell sauce. Only the stracetti di soya (fried vegan burger in sticks-way salty) didn't rock my world.
Dessert was a dream come true! the chocolate cake and the coconut cake, the hazelnut cake, the spongecake with chantilly..OMG, i can't tell you how happy i was!!!
they also sell whole cakes to go, menu changes daily. I was so impressed i went back to say thank you to the chef, a jovial man who beamed when i told him how i enjoyed the food. The ONLY vegan restaurant in firenze. Worth a visit for vegans and non vegans alike. I'm putting both of my thumbs up on this place.
they use disposable plates/utensils..all biodegradable.

Pros: serene environment, wonderful owners, changing menu
Cons: slightly salty, address 92 is not a resto. it's 92R, too far from my house.
sangiyer
sangiyer

A gem in Firenze

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2011

Dolce Vegas is a cute bakery/restaurant in Florence. Everything here is vegan. The desserts are mind-blowing. They have multiple cheesecakes, mousse cakes, tarts, cookies, donuts, cream puffs and everything else you could think of. I was in awe at how beautiful everything was.

The food here was also excellent. The menu changes daily for every meal. I sampled the Tagliatelle with a Seitan Ragu which was phenomenal. I also had a very delicately made ravioli dish in a green sauce that was fantastic. They sometimes have savory crepes drenched in a creamy sauce. Also excellent. Their seitan based second courses (stracetti, seitan and potato/veggies) are just to die for.

Dolce is such a cute amazing find in Florence. There is a small grocery section towards the back of the store for your vegan needs.

Pros: Excellent Food, Great dessert selection, Friendly Staff
Cons: A Little Pricey
thecholl
thecholl

Sweet!

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2011

Went there last night with my partner as we were a little stuck for choices open on a Sunday night. We weren't disappointed! My partner had a crepe like dish with fake cheese and pesto (which I had a taste of and thought was lovely) and I had seitan with veg. As a huge lover of seitan and also that I had high expectation given the other reviews, I know they would do it justice and they did! The staff are very friendly and polite (spoke a some English). I had a chocolate cake for dessert (generous portion) and my partner had a lemony cake (also generous portion) and thought it was good. We also purchased some of their biscuits (there's loads to choose from!) which I can't wait to eat. For our brief trip to Florence (and indeed, Italy) I'm expecting this will have been the favourite meal.

Pros: Good value, Nice staff, Nice food
Cons: None, None, None
Jonathan Smith
Jonathan Smith

Fantastic!!

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2011

Open for only four months (at the time of writing) this is one of the best vegan places I've visited anywhere. The display of vegan cakes & biscuits would not look out of place in a classy Vienna pattisserie! We had a light lunch of wholemeal focaccia topped with slices of roast potato and rosemary. Such delicious herby savouriness required a sweet antidote which was provided by a generous portion of chocolate 'cheesecake' that rivals my own! All swilled down with a cup of organic fair trade black tea. You can either choose from the display of sweets and savouries or from the blackboard for heartier meals. Simple elegant dining room with a little vegan shop through the back. Very friendly and welcoming and very long hours too. I want to visit again to try their salads. Lunch for two came to €16 which is excellent value for a Florence eatery.

Pros: Completely vegan, Feast for the eyes, Stylish dining room
Guinea_Pig
Guinea_Pig

Je recommande !

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2011

Agréablement surprise de trouver le "Dolce Vegan" sur mon chemin, tandis que je recherchais le "Vegetariano", fermé, a quelques rues de la. Je fus tres bien accueillie par la gérante, avec qui j'ai pu échanger quelques mots, et par "Gentil" le super toutou de la boutique.

Une tres jolie vitrine propose de merveilleux gateaux et encas, tous plus appétissant les uns que les autres. J'ai également pu acheter quelques produits vegan c'té épicerie.

Quelques tables, déco soignée, propre, tranquille, bref, cadre parfait pour se poser et se régaler. Je recommande et je reviendrai !

Pros: Excellent !, friendly staff !, Nice dog !
Reki
Reki

Simply Amazing

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2011

I love this place. It was a little bit of a walk, but totally worth it. The menu was small, but the food was extremely delicious, and there were lots of baked treats to choose from. I went there twice during my stay in Florence, and I want to go back just to eat there again.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, great value
suzannaveganna
suzannaveganna

I'd move to Florence just to eat here every day.

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

It's hard being vegan in Italy, but this place was amazing. A fresh menu that changes daily, cakes, cookies and tonnes of small snacks for lunch or tea. A small shop in the back with vegan milks, cheeses and food to cook. I was staying in a hostel so took advantage of the meals and snacks. Everything is 100% vegan and the woman working there seems shocked when I confirmed. My friend with me isn't vegan and thought the food was amazing as well. Definitely recommend if you're vegan or not, it's simply a great place.

Pros: Vegan, Inexpensive, Delicious
Flora Fleming
Flora Fleming

Brilliant!

5 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2010

My husband and I spent a week in Florence, returning to scotland on 3rd December. We ate at Dolce Vegan several times and each time was a delight. The food never disappointed, far from it. Very highly recommended!

Pros: Great food, friendly people, very reasonable prices
Paddy
Paddy

A vegan's paradise!

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2010

I had been living in Florence for over 2 months before I found this little gem. Totally vegan, organic & fair trade. Their menu is small (daily specials mostly)....but everything was delicious & they have incredible fresh vegan goodies everyday. They also carry soy cheeses for sale as well as other hard to find vegan goods. I can't recommend this place enough. Inexpensive, friendly, and a god send in a town that is hard to find vegan food without worries. Support these great folx!

Dear Owner and Manager of Dolce Vegan: