Diwana Bhel Poori House

Another one of the veggie Indian restaurants on Drummond St, the small Indian enclave. Has an all-you-can-eat buffet at lunch time 12-2:30pm. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out
121-123 Drummond Street, London, UK (1 minute from Euston and Euston Squares stations)
North West London, England NW1 2HL
+44-020-73875556
OPEN NOW

Mon-Sun 12:00pm-12:00am

First Review by Jemima
RubyFriel
RubyFriel

Everyday indian, not special occasion indian

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2014

My friend and I decided to try this place while waiting to catch a train from Euston. It was a 2 minute walk from the station, so very handy location. It was around 7pm on a Thursday and the restaurant was packed, but luckily the waiter squeezed us on to a spare side table which was nice of him.

We both ordered the 'thali of the day', which I think cost us £7 each. This consisted of daal, potato & pea curry, basmati rice, side salad and 3 roti's. The food was delivered to us quickly. Everything was nice, and seemed quite healthy. The flavours weren't amazing, but a very similar style to the other indian places in this area. I prefer this home cooking style to the usual rich, oily, deep fried tendencies of a lot of Indian restaurants in the UK. It was every day food as opposed to special occasion food.

The only part of the meal I would say was exceptional were the rotis, they were cooked to perfection.

Be warned, they don't have a license but you can take your own bottle. An opportunity we sadly missed.

Would go again if waiting for a train, but would take a bottle too ;-)

Pros: Cheap, Filling, The perfect roti
Cons: Busy, Basic
Elvie
Elvie

Cheap and very cheerful

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2014

Having been introduced to Diwana by a friend about 8 years ago, I've gone regularly ever since, have tried the other restaurants on Drummond Street, but this remains my favourite. I fairly often travel through Kings Cross and to be able to nip along to Euston and pick up a tasty dinner for less than a tenner is fantastic. Tried their lunchtime buffet for the first time this week and it was great, massive selection, loads of tasty treats, less than £7. Check it out!

Pros: Good food, Good location, Great prices
Captain Mainwearing
Captain Mainwearing

Sublime food and excellent service

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2014

When in central London I head here - to my favourite eating place!

I have eaten in the restaurant many times and have always found the food superb. With so many mouth-watering choices on the menu it’s hard to decide.

The staff are attentive and can give good advice.

Pros: Vast choice, Great tastes, Value!

ashwinn
ashwinn

skip it.

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

You're in London. Go to an Indian restaurant in an Indian neighborhood or at least make an attempt to find something more authentic. This is not Indian food, trust me.

Pros: location
Cons: bad service, authenticity , gushing customers
Miggi
Miggi

Good selection

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2013

Popped in a lunch time and despite being fairly busy was able to get a seat immediately. Was pleasantly surprised by the amount and variety of the salads, as most Indian Buffet places I've been to seem to be very limited in this area. (I'm not usually a salad person). There was also a good selection of starters. It is worth checking which things are vegan as one of the salads had goats cheese in it, but I was told most of the food is vegan.
The main courses were a bit disappointing as everything seemed to be very coconut based. Where I enjoy a coconut curry usually, to find that nearly all the main dishes were coconut based made it a bit samey, although I was already quite full by the time I had tried all the starters, so it did not spoil it too much ;-)

Pros: Good Salads, Good starters, Mostly vegan
Cons: Main dishes too similar
gin_and_tonic
gin_and_tonic

Diwana Bhel Poori House

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2013

Another week, another lunchtime buffet on Drummond St. This time at the Diwana Bhel Poori House. Having tried Chutneys and Ravi Shankars, this was the next one along the road.

We arrived at about one and the place was bustling. We waited a little while to be seated, even though there were empty tables. It seems the staff were rushed, but then again we did arrive at their busiest time. The place is popular, but it's quite large so there were seats available.

As with other buffet lunch places you take a plate and dig in. There were 9 or so salads to get started with, about half a dozen cold dishes and another half a dozen warm ones. There were more salads than at some of the other places, but fewer warm dishes. The quality of food was reasonable, there was no one outstanding dish, but then again nothing negative to complain about. My two colleagues, who are both Indian, thought it was good value.

To drink, we got masala tea. Spiced with cardamon, clove and cinnamon, it was different and very nice. Some of the fruit drinks going to the other tables looked good, though we did not try them.

For dessert there were three types of barfi sweets: mango, coconut and another rose flavoured one in two layers. There is also the ubiquitous fruit salad.

One negative point was when I was paying the bill. There were three of us and we asked for the bill to be split into three, so we all had receipts. They couldn't do that, insisting that the bill was £25.50, rather than 3 lots of £8.50. This is a bit of a problem, if you intend to claim the meal as expenses. I asked for a receipt for my part, and they gave me a till receipt for £0.00, but with the figure written on it in pen. Not the best way to attract the lunchtime business crowd.

Overall reasonable food, on a par with some of the others on Drummond street and at a similar price. Let down a little by staff.

Pros: Good food, Price, Lots of seats
Cons: Can be busy, Receipts
nigeltart
nigeltart

Good, cheep Indian

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2012

Great, cheap Indian food. The bhel poori was excellent. My dosa (I forget which) was pretty good too.

My union HQ is nearby so I'm planning to eat my way along Drummond St. I'd have been happy with just Diwana nearby but the others look promising.

I'm slightly worried by the previous comment about the genuineness of their vegan items (half the menu looked suitable) so I'll question them more closely next time. That was a while ago though.

Oh and you can byo drink too.

I went on a Saturday evening. It was busy, but I got a table without waiting. Prompt, friendly service. I had a poori, a dosa and a soft drink for £15.

Pros: Great value, Good food, BYO alcohol
Cons: No Indians eating there
Stevie
Stevie

Diwana Bhel Poori House, London

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2009

I used to give this place a lot of business based on Drummond Street being next to Euston station, my principal entry and exit point when I go to London. They won't be getting any business off of me any further.

I used to always ask for a vegan edition of one of the thali's. The last time I went I got a different waiter and he told me that the only thing on the entire menu that they have ever done that is vegan veggie is a plain dosa.

Chutney's just up the street is a much better option if you are vegan veggie.

Pros: Non vegan veggie friendly
Jemima
Jemima

It might be better another time

Posted on 12 / 22 / 2008

Seating is in diner style arrangement but with wooden seats. It has possibly been a while since it has been refurbished as it looked a bit shabby. There was safety tape down one side area where there was a step. Toward the back of some tables on one side pots were stored.
The women's toilet was also unclean although this may not have been their fault as they cannot be expected to check every five minutes/ after every customer. It was also very, very small. Any smaller and it would have been difficult to fit a person in as well as the toilet and close the door. An obese person would have difficulty. Maybe there is another toilet, I just went to the first one I saw - older building situation - as opposed to custom built restaurant toilets area with no of loos lined up next to each other.

I had vadas which came in sweet and sour sauce and raita to begin with. Vadas were cold and tastless. Condiments sloshed in failed to enhance.
I had the rice and vegetable curry with raita special for main. The rice seemed like it had been cooked with excess water. The curry was on the watery side and I didn't taste any spice. The raita was decent.

There were a fair number of waiters around but they might rather have been somewhere else. Have met friendlier before. At times they took their time taking my order although I was served quickly enough overall. They had an extended argument omitting all attempt to lower their voices or remove themselves, right in my vicinity for much of my time there.

I thought pushing ₤11 was expensive for the above.

Pros: layout of dining area
Cons: food, service, bit shabby,tiny,(this time)dirty toilet
Guest
Guest

Bustling, hot and tasty!

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2008

Diwana offers à la carte and a buffet option. I opted for the latter and teamed if with an authentic mango lassi. Buffets can be difficult to negotiate when you're a vegetarian, so knowing you can eat everything is reassuring - and once you've gone up with your first metal tray you WILL want to try everything! The food is good, so this place is always busy - I'd recommend it to family and friends (no 1st dates!), since you can't be shy about hollaring for one of the busy waiters when you're thirsty! Prices are very good (especially for London) and the location could not be much closer to Euston station. Oh, I also recommend the cheesey things that look like skinny spring roles for those who aren't vegan.

Pros: food, price, location
Cons: difficult to seat very large groups

Dear Owner and Manager of Diwana Bhel Poori House: