Serving original and experimental dishes. Cozy with limited seating. Confirmed open May 2011. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by nitekrawler527
Mr Jefferson
Mr Jefferson

A restaurant on the rise

5 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2013

For its size, this is a place full of surprises, not least because we mistook the owner for a waitress. All in all the the food was fantastic and we had a thoroughly enjoyable night. As a rule of thumb, I judge a restaurant on whether I walk away with a copy of the cookbook. On this occasion I bought 3!

Dirt Candy is destined for greater things if they can find a premises more suitable to meet the demand.

Lasting memories are the rosemary candy floss.

Pros: Friendly owner, Innovative food
Cons: Very tight fit, Mushroom pate perhaps too rich for me
steveveg
steveveg

Original and creative

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2013

Dirt Candy serves highly creative dishes. Each item is themed on a plant and is totally original. We had each of the four entrees: parsnip, beans, broccoli and corn, and two of the appetizers: mushroom and cabbage. The mushroom was exceptional, especially the mousse. Dessert for us were an incredible Ice Cream Nanaimo Bar (with sweet pea, mint and chocolate) and the Popcorn Pudding - very charmingly sweet. The food was intensely flavored, and uniquely done. The only drawback was that I found, to my taste, some items overly salted. All items (except the tiramisu) could be made vegan. There were a number of gluten free choices as well. Service was excellent. The space was comfortable.

Pros: creative and original, highly flavorful, excellent service
Cons: some items overly salted
sglcklch
sglcklch

A MUST visit for any foodie!!

5 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2013

I'm really surprised that this place is not more popular on here, because it was hands down the best vegetarian/vegan food I've had in NYC so far. And I'm making this statement based on my previous visits to the other renowned vegan restaurants, including Blossom, Candle 79, Pure Food and Wine, Kajitsu, etc. From what I've read, the chef (Amanda Cohen) is not vegetarian herself, but she has enough guts to creative such innovative vegetarian food using no meat ingredients whatsoever, and it works out beautifully! No fake meat, no seitan, no vegan cheese, just vegetables.

Every dish we had was an excellent interplay of flavors and textures, nothing like what we've ever experienced before. Every bite really made our taste buds sing. The menu was small; some items had dairy/eggs, but we were told first thing after being seated that all items could be made vegan. The two of us started with the highly raved about jalapeƱo hush puppies, then shared two appetizers, two entrees, and finished with two desserts. We were totally, completely blown away by the food - the flavors, the textures, the presentation everything!! If I have to nitpick, I did find the popcorn pudding too sweet. They could have toned it down a bit and it would still be delicious.

Much like the menu, the restaurant itself was also tiny. There were probably only six or seven tables with a capacity of 20, tops. It was quite cramped, so be prepared to sit elbow to elbow. But then again, it's all about the food and it was absolutely worth it. Openings are hard to come by - you most likely won't be able to get a table without making a reservation well in advance, much less walk-ins. I simply can't wait for my next visit to NYC so I can come back again!

Pros: innovative menu, excellent food, vegan options
Cons: cramped setting, hard to get a table

shirley1
shirley1

great vegan food

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2009

we recently visited New York and went to Dirt Candy for dinner.Amanda Cohen is an innovative and very tasty chef.I was with my family of meat eaters and they said that they would visit Dirt Candy again on another visit to New York.
The waitress came to our table and asked how many vegans there were at the table, because they can make everything vegan or vegetarian.
We all had something different .the onion soup was delicious my family had the vegetarian version with cheese, but my meal was totally vegan . I had the salad with the candied grapefruit pops-I had never eaten anything like it before.It was so different and tasty I was tempted to ask for more. My family shared the jalapeno hush puppies and they said the maple butter was amazing.
Golden Beet Papardelle yogurt, pistachios and honey 18.00
Crispy Tofu With Green Ragout kaffir lime beurre blanc 17.00
Asparagus Paella artichokes, morels, saffron tomato broth 16.00
Stone Ground Grits pickled shitakes and a tempura poached egg 18.00
Everything On The Menu Can Be Made Vegan On Req
everything was tasty and amazing .

Pros: tasty, different, cosy
nitekrawler527
nitekrawler527

So, so, so good.

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2009

I had put off checking out this restaurant b/c I didn't see anything I would want to eat on the menu and then one day I decided to try it and was amazed at how good and gourmet Amanda Cohen's food is. Without a doubt, the food at dc is the refined and innovative in the city, among the best in the country, surpassed by only Millenium. The restaurant itself is small, and each dish is carefully prepared for the diner. The service is incredible. The food is out of this world. A melody of flavors, each complimenting each other... the food was both complex and comforting. I had the greek salad which is basically chopped up tasty olives, ripe tomatos, and cucumbers with a delish creamy lemon dressing and topped with fried mushrooms; the parpadelle, which were tender and topped with the freshest, sweetest beets and creamy sauce, a nice glass of cava, and this incredible ice cream sandwich desert with choocolate cookie, sweat pea (a really refeshing green taste==not unlike sencha with agave), chocolate and mint ice cream. The mint was unlike anything I ever had. Tart, fresh, a true mint. As I was eating I spied other people's food: the onion soup (which is probably good if you like onion soup, the mousse, a complex dish of vegan pate, sauteed mushrooms, bread, and chopped peaches; the tofu, expertly grilled and perfectly firm on top of a collection of green vegatables, the paella, a wonderful collection of mediterrean vegetables shaped into a cake-like mold... Unfortunately, I didn't see the grits or the other salad. The beignet, corn fritters with a kick, looked awesome, though. Can't wait to go back for more. I've been a vegan in NY since 1995, and seriously, this is the most elegant and interesting (but not fussy) vegan fine dining option there is in the city. (And I have been to Blossom and Candle 79---Dirt Candy more hip, more interesting, a better experience, and much better value). Look forward to going back and hope Amanda keeps experimenting with different foods---we can use some new direction for vegan food in the city!

Pros: excellent service, innovative, tasty, and gourmet, good value
Cons: only open for dinner, 5 days a week, small, need a reservation

Dear Owner and Manager of Dirt Candy: