CLOSED: Dig Foods Cafe

Opened in spring 2013, this cafe offers an all-vegan and organic menu with gluten-free options and rotating specials depending on what is available from local farms. Each day are five to eight dishes, including a mix of salads, sandwiches, and entrees. Inexpensive to moderate prices. Has wi-fi. JAN 2013 REPORTED SHUT and moving to different location - please let happycow know if/when it re-opens. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Take-out

First Review by Brian-Mid-WeekMarket
cassyb
cassyb

Crazy Good

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2013

We aren't local and were only in town for a limited time. Saw this place listed on Happy Cow and it was all vegan and close to where we were staying. It's only open for a few hours a day so I'm glad we fit it in early on in our stay or else we wouldn't have been able to try what might be the best vegan food I've had anywhere. I had some chickpea pie with a side of potatoes and my husband had a cornmeal crusted tempeh sandwhich. They were both amazing. If we were local we would eat here regularly. It's rediculously delicious.

Pros: All Vegan, Super Tasty, Cute Decor
Cons: Has Very Limited Hours
jnali
jnali

It's About Time!

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2013

I've known the owner for years, from back when he was the head chef at the unfortunately deceased Turtle Island Foods. Back then my wife and I would go every weekend for brunch and to get wonderful food from their deli -- not sandwiches and salads but great vegan meals like chickpea rolls, tempeh wellington, and hand-made lentil veggie burgers.

I've been bugging him to open a restaurant for years; he will confirm this when asked.

Now he has, and it is everything that I hoped for and more. Many of the old Turtle Island favorites are back and many new dishes have been added. There is a standing menu with daily specials. They have an arrangement with Jacksonville's first vegan bakery, Sweet Theory, for truly amazing desserts.

The location may seem rough, but consider it a temporary measure so they could start serving a desperate community of vegans.

The prices are not cheap, but they are lower than they should be for the incredible quality of handmade-from-scratch food that they serve.

If it's your first time, try the chickpea roll -- it's my personal favorite. Be sure to order dessert.

Pros: Delicious From-scratch Vegan Food., Excellent Pricing: Neither Too Cheap Or Expensive., First All-Vegan Restaurant In Jacksonville!
Cons: In A Temporary Location @ Underbelly., Meter Parking ($0.25 / 30min) On Street., Only Open For Lunch/Brunch Right Now.
Brian-Mid-WeekMarket
Brian-Mid-WeekMarket

Flavorful and inventive food, trend-setting vision

5 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2013

Dig Foods is coming into the downtown Jacksonville neighborhood by storm! Their grand opening was epic, and chef Sean Sigmon offered tastings of his creations, including fresh from the garden collard roll-ups, crispy chickpea crostinis, and a tempting italian style gnocchi. All three were tasty, looked great on the platter as well as on the plate, and succeeded in its goal of providing us with a remarkable sensory adventure.

Located in the coziest portion of a large historic downtown masterpiece of a building, that currently is The Underbelly - a hot night spot and concert venue, Dig Foods puts up a curtain that hides the the vast space behind it (usually filled after dark with savvy music types and others). This does a good job of making the lunchtime-only cafe intimate and inviting. This business model, sharing space and other resources, should be a source of pride for both Dig Foods and The Underbelly. More businesses should take note and get creative with how far they can take the idea of local businesses working hard with other local businesses in order to help each other succeed.

The cafe, jointly run between Chef Sigmon and Lenore Chestnutt, flexed it's local muscle further, to the delight of foodies in Jacksonville are hungry for new local businesses who are committed to sourcing it's food locally. For the grand opening, Dig Foods cooperated with farmer Brian Lapinski from Down-To-Earth Farm, which produces only organic crops. Intuition Ale Works and Sweet Theory also joined in on the culinary event by providing a local beer and a delicious lavender dessert bar. Grassroots Natural Market also helped Dig Foods with a good deal on the wine offering.

This food is top-notch. It is fresh, whole, nutritious, and downright delicious! What's not to love about that?! To top it off, this food is socially, environmentally and economically friendly. I'm sold!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Dig Foods Cafe: