Casual setting, order at the counter. Offers breakfast items until noon, veggieburgers, salads, stir frys, Mexican plates, pasta, and more. Has a children's menu. Gluten free options. Also known as McDharmas. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, International, Catering, Take-out

First Review by Delmar831
mimibutters
mimibutters
  • raw

Great, friendly, casual eatery.

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

Dharma's is a great place to take people who aren't technically a fan of vegetarian/vegan options. Its menu includes comfort food, familiar classics that have been made vegetarian, and also has gluten free options as well. It is a good place to go with a group as well as you can pay separately at the counter, or all together. One of the only places in Santa Cruz where you can always get kitchari soup, an Ayuvedic cleansing digestive-friendly soup, as well as the best salad and lemon-tahini dressing in town. The tempeh reuben is a delight, as well as their tofu scrambles. The pancakes (vegan version uses corn) are as big as your head, or a dinner plate. Be sure to bus your own tables!! Also has a delightful vegan shortbread tart with raspberry jam. Hard to find vegan shortbread!

Pros: huge options, casual vibe, great food
Cons: not too many raw options
robivore
robivore
  • herbivore

I eat here way too much

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

Love everything I've tried on the menu. Favorites being Bo Thai, vegan pesto pizza, the BBQ bluff, and Sichuan tofu . The specials are often awesome as well - "the beast" was my favorite (I wish it was a regular thing on the menu)

Pros: good food, nice staff, lots of vegan stuff
Cons: some things can't be made vegan
akirksey
akirksey

California Adventure

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

The curry tofu scramble might be the best thing I have ever eaten. EVER. We visited Dharma's five months ago and I am still dreaming about the tofu scramble. Portions are ginormous-the kids had huge pancakes. So much good food.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, large portions

JudyOwens
JudyOwens

Yummy Yummy in my Tummy

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2012

We are 3 teens and a meatavore mom. These are our House favorites: Kitcheree soup with salad, house dressing.
Tofu Ranchero. Greek mac-n cheese. Veggie lasagna.

Yummy food in informal restaurant. We usually just call in an order to pick up and eat at home.

Pros: Yummy food, Not too expensive, Repeatable dishes
Cons: conspicuous lack of atmosphere, hard to understand microphone, massive portions
CKay
CKay

Good stuff..

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

Just went here for the first time, and thought it was great. Yellow curry tofu scramble was delicious. Prices are decent, the breakfast portions are large, the and staff was friendly. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the area..

Pros: Tasty, Large Portions, Good Value
norcal girl
norcal girl

in my top 3! :)

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2012

This cute little place is at the top of my list of favorite places in ca to get delicious vegan food. prices are moderate, setting is laid back/hippyish which i like, and the food is sooo good, and generous size portions. I'd list my favorites but then id be here all day. love this place!

Lotusgirl
Lotusgirl

Best Vegan Breakfast/Brunch in Cali!

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

I really love the food here and even my skeptical partner was baffled and awed by his brunch this weekend. By far the best veg brunch I have ever had and I go to lots of veg places around the state. The tofu scramble is a must. I always get the ranchero (wow) but my partner was more adventurous and ordered the thai scramble. OMG! Amazing! Please also order a side of the potatoes--you'll thank me later. Extra large portions means you'll have lots of leftovers, which equals good value for great ingredients. The decor is depressing cafeteria with some new-age touches, but if you can get past the ugly flooring, tables, and chairs, then you will have a great meal. Also, the man at the counter was indifferent and almost rude, but who cares? YUM! However, if the food wasn't so good, I'd give it a much lower rating.

Pros: best tofu scramble, lots of vegan options, new-age touches
Cons: ugly strip mall, depressing cafeteria decor, self-serve cafeteria
callrcg
callrcg

Good Food - Great Prices - 100% VEGETARIAN

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2011

I've been going here for years. Food is great and 100% vegetarian. Fast, friendly service - and inexpensive, large proportions. Great for large groups and parties. We usually take home an entire extra meal as leftovers. They even cater to food sensitivities.
Desserts are absolutely fantastic! Some of the best are raw and vegan.
Cons: Avoid the coffee, if you are a coffee "snob" as it is marginal. Pizzas are ok for kids, but not very tasty for adults. Fairly busy atmosphere...look for the seating on the left side behind the wall if you want a more relaxing meal.
Get on their mailing list to receive coupons!
HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros: 100% VEGETARIAN, Great variety of food, Great price
Cons: Loud - not a place for romantic dinners, Specials aren't much different than menu, coffee and pizza are marginal
halrhp
halrhp

One long time staple for local vegetarians

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2011

Formerly McDharmas, but McDonalds sued and when you are a big fat bully, you usually get your way. When you eat a lot of Big Macs, you will more likely be a big fat bully than the gentle folks who eat at Dharmas where there is a highly diverse menu, always good.

Pros: variety, quality
Cons: stand, order and wait, crowded at times
veganmadre
veganmadre

Cozy Spot in Capitola

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2011

I'll just add to the "dharma's is tasty" reviews. It is. I like the wall heading towards the rear of the store loaded with staff/family photos. This is really the place to go if everyone in your group is jonesing for something different. There is a wide array of foods at any given time. Bring a newspaper and kick back while you enjoy your meal. The vibe here is casual, local and established.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 20, 2011

Pros: Variety of Food, Vegan Dessert, Family Friendly
Cons: Not 100% Vegan, Can Get Pricey
vegboy2009
vegboy2009

Been a fave for years...

4 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2011

When I used to live in Santa Cruz, I went here all the time and loved it, but although still pretty good, the quality and attention has slipped a bit. I really miss the air fries, and regular sunflower sprouts.

Pros: Quality food, Good selection, Happy, peaceful ambience
Cons: Air fries gone ;'(, Sunflower sprouts not always there
AmandaUCSC
AmandaUCSC

To the point

5 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2010

Ok, I've lived around the world and I spent 3 years in Santa Cruz. Dharma's is, hands-down, the only mostly vegan (entirely vegetarian) restaurant I've *ever* visited that has many dishes it does quite well (not all are terrific: I would recommend the "Asian-style" dishes for vegan Pad Thai and I LOVE the dan dan noodles, but I was only so-so on the vegan pizza). The Mexican entrees and Italian ones aren't bad either, but I was most impressed with the Asian-style and the salads. The salads are not just fresh and very green, but have a variety of ingredients in them so you won't get bored. :)

But here's the best thing this restaurant has: dairy-free 'milk'shakes with about 8-12 different flavors!!! It may cost a lot (I think $5+) for the shake, but you get a pint glass of dairy-free heaven, I am not kidding you I have travelled to Dharma's just for the mint chocolate chip shake, and I've even just ordered a single slice of pizza or small salad in order to save room for it.

The other big item on the dessert menu are any of the cakes they have that day made my Black China bakery - vegan double chocolate, vegan German chocolate ETC. You won't be disappointed. I tasted BC here and then called the company to order my wedding cake.

The major problem with Dharma's is that it's too expensive (please charge me half the cost and give me half the food!) and it's out of the way for those without cars. I lived in downtown Santa Cruz with a bike and no car, and public transport is kind of backwards (often inconvenient and behind schedule), so I wished it had been closer. It makes for a nice afternoon bike ride, but it's definitely not the kind of place you want to be traveling to in the dark on a foggy or cold night in SC (which is often).

Still, I have to say, I have yet to find its match anywhere else I've been or lived (several places in Europe and East Asia).

Note to gluten-free people: they have vegan, gluten-free pizza on the menu.

Pros: lots of variety, fresh ingredients, can share big portions, the dairy-free shakes
Cons: the prices, location
goodeaten
goodeaten

The best resturant ever in the world

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2010

I tell my friend im visiting him in Santa Cruz but really im going there to eat here. All of the breakfast and lunch items are amazing.

Pros: good tasting healthy food
Cons: expensive but well worth it
Mangola
Mangola

Awesome food in a friendly, family atmospere

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2010

The food here is quality and consistent. Dharmas is a cafeteria style restaurant with a great selection of different foods and tons of good vibes. Food is on the pricier side but the servings usually yield two meals. The sandwiches are DELICIOUS!!! They also have an extensive gluten free menu and will sub in vegan options for no additional charge which is kind of a rarity. There is art on the walls, warm lighting, and great folk working there.
Try the artichoke portabella sandwich or the tempeh ruben. The raw vegan cheesecake is expensive but so worth it.
Dharmas is one of my absolute favorites in Santa cruz

Pros: Good Food, Great Service, Family atmosphere
Magpie
Magpie

i

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2010

Dharmas is really good. All their food is delicious.

Pros: healthy, vegan-friendly, nice people
Cons: nothing bad to say
Sangita
Sangita

Something for everyone

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2008

Dharmas used to be called McDharma's but McDonalds sued them and they changed the name. This restaraunt always has something for every taste from mexican to asian to italian inspired dishes. The food is very good and the portions are gigantic. The atmosphere is really relaxed but it is important to know that they don't allow use of cell phones inside the restaraunt.
The only downside are the prices which can be really high.

Pros: variety of vegan and vegetarian dishes
Cons: Pricey
EscapeFromSF
EscapeFromSF

Capitola classic

3 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2008

Yeah, Dharma's.

Everybody (from around here) knows about Dharma's. It's been here since 1981. It's an institution.

So it is not surprising that on a Monday night, I found a line for dinner when I went in. Neither should it be surprising that parents are bringing in their toddlers, who of course, were running amok.

Yet, cell phones are forbidden. You can't miss the signs; they're all over the place.

As one who brings neither form of annoyance, I was bemused by the preference. I also noticed the menu seemed to favor lunch and breakfast items over dinner items.

So I came back on a Tuesday afternoon and had a Brahma burger. At this writing, there's a salmonella scare on tomatoes; the burger came with only lettuce and a bun, accompanied by what appeared to be boiled potato wedges. There was still a line, but it wasn't as long, and this time, the toddlers were no where in sight. This was a much more pleasant experience, but the burger seemed dry--I really missed the tomatoes.

Guest

Extensive menu, huge portions, lacks ambiance

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2008

Dharma's has a huge menu with tons of veggie options to suit anyone's mood, great if you're in the mood for thai, your boyfriend's in the mood for a veggie burger and your friend wants mexican. . . all will be satisfied here. I usually get the brown rice, veggies, tofu+ tahini sauce. I would prefer cheaper prices and smaller portions, but you come here and take half the meal home. Also the ambiance is cafeteria-like.

Pros: Options/ Menu, Value
Cons: ambiance
groovyvegan
groovyvegan

Consistently Delicious :-)

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2007

Dharma's has a large selection of food choices, about 95% of which are already vegan or an be made vegan upon request. Their food is not gourmet, but consistently delicious home/deli-style cooking. I've eaten here more times than I can count, and never had anything that was less than 3 stars on a 5 star scale. Most items are 4 or 5 stars. A worker there told me 95% of ingredients are organic.

Menu categories are Burgers & Dogs, Sandwiches, Mexican Naturals, Salads, Soups, Side Orders, Pasta, International Saute's, Breakfast, Beverages (over 30 choices), Desserts, and New Items. In addition, there are always specials on the board. I especially like their blueberry pancakes, pestoroni (pesto-vegan pepperoni) pizza (a special), bo thai saute, aloha burger, and any salad with tahini lemon dressing. Salad ingredients are always quite fresh. I'd give their soy mint chocolate shake 3 stars, and their Mexican corn bread about 3 1/2.

You wait in line, order at the counter, and pick up your meal when your name is called. At prime meal times, the line can be long. There are lots more seats than a typical vegetarian restaurant, and some outdoor seating where people often eat with their dogs along. Non-sandwich meals often cost in the $10 to $12, but portion sizes are HUGE. I can easily split meals here with my 6'5", 250 lb partner, and we both get plenty to eat. Order takers have never messed up my order.

I really don't have any complaints about this Dharmas. My suggestions are: add some raw foods items, expand the dessert menu to include some vegan chocolate mousse and fruit pies other than just apple, make the nacho's vegan, and expand the fresh juice options.

Pros: Lots of delicious vegan choices, 95% organic, Lots of parking
Cons: Nacho's can't be made vegan, Sometimes a long line, wait
Delmar831
Delmar831

pretty good

3 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2007

The fact that the menu specifies what items can be "veganised" is very helpful. The food was relatively okay. I really appreciate that they make so many vegan options for things like Mexican Mole.

Pros: Vegan options
Cons: Prices

high price, quality issues

2 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2007

The lunch specials are $13.75. it costs us 27.50 for two sandwiches, a no alcoholic beer, and a piece of cake. the food was thrown together (supersize portions). the sandwich made me sick. I think the ingrediants were old. the cake was good.

Pros: nice building
Cons: price, sloppy cooking
Guest

Amazing food... I drive 6 hrs for it...

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2007

Dharma's is a dream come true. My husband, baby, and I live in southern California and we vacation in Santa Cruz often. A huge reason why we love going there is to eat at Dharma's. I love this place. Portions are out of this world, the food is beyond delicious, and the people are great. I often dream about Dharma's after visiting. I cannot wait to go back.

Pros: AMAZING FOOD, OPTIONS GALORE, AWESOME PEOPLE
Cons: None...... It's perfect!

Dear Owner and Manager of Dharma's: