A comfortable vegetarian cafe serving pizza, curry and rice, sandwich, salad, veggie burger, caffeine-free drinks, juices, non-alcoholic cocktails, eggless baking, and other sweets. Also a shop. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Macrobiotic, International
2-14-7 2F, Kichijoji-Honcho, Musashino-Shi
Tokyo, Japan 180-0004
04-22216220

Open Fri-Wed 11.00-21.00, closed Thur.

First Review by KelseyApple
umebossy
umebossy

Great veggie food in popular Kichijoji

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2014

Living locally I visit devadeva fairly regularly. I am a big fan of their Yogi Burgers (although perhaps not so much the bun) and like that you can choose between potato wedges and salad (or have both) to accompany it. They overhauled their menu in 2012 and several of the different burger options unfortunately vanished but this has pushed me to explore more of their other offerings!

Although slightly pricy at 1600 yen the Deli plate is a good option if you're not in the mood for a burger - you get 2 different dishes that change daily, salad, soup and a variety of breads that will be replenished upon request.

They have a good range of veg/vegan cakes and tarts etc that change regularly, and also offer a small selection of organic/vegetarian cooking supplies and snacks.

If you are in the area (the Ghibli museum is a 20-minute walk away) definitely drop in for lunch!
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 03, 2013

Update - August 2014

Visited for the first time in a few months, and saw that the menu has been revamped since we last visited. Now you can choose between the original veggie burger or a faux-chicken burger and select your toppings. Also on the menu is a "Tofish" burger with tartare sauce which I went for. It was fine, did taste vaguely fishy but overall lacked in flavour and was a bit lost in all the sauce that was on the bun (the bun has changed, far prefer this new one!) Not sure I would order it again. The burgers now all come with chips as standard and you can add salad or soup for 200 extra.

The deli menu option has also changed slightly, the offerings no longer change daily but there are more to choose from than before.

Pros: Delicious burgers, Relaxed atmosphere
Cons: A bit out the way, Slightly expensive if you add drinks/desserts
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Not fussed

3 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

Not sure why this place has so many raving reviews. We'd had it on our 'must visit' list for ages but never seem to get out Kichijoji way, so one day we decided to make a special visit. Turns out it wasn't really worth the trip.

We ordered burgers because they appeared to be the specialty. Maybe we've been spoiled from having traveled around America sampling all their great burgers, but these were small and not all that great... the teriyaki burger was close to inedible, so I took a few bites and left it (flavours were way too strong). Heavy on fake meats too.

We got there about 30min before closing time (which is still quite early) and the staff made us feel very hurried - they clearly didn't want to hang around to allow us to enjoy our meal as we would have liked - it seems you're supposed to finished eating by closing time so service was very minimal and rushed.

We sampled some of the desserts and they were ok but nothing out of this world. The drink menu failed to inspire.

This is definitely a place that would be useful to have close by for those odd junk food cravings but we won't be going out of our way to get there again, it's not a destination spot. Given all the healthier Japanese options in Tokyo you're much better off eating local macrobiotic food.

Pros: western food menu for those cravings..., desserts/cookies/muffins were nice
Cons: portions are small, service pretty average, taste profiles are lacking
poopixie
poopixie

fantastic place, wish we'd come again!

5 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2014

If only it wasn't in kichijoji (a long way from where we were staying in Tokyo)we would have visited many more times. Absoultely loved this place, menu was great and loads of yummy looking cakes we couldn't choose between. peaceful atmosphere with cool music. really nice.

hokusai77
hokusai77
+2074

excellent vegan organic food, and wonderful cakes

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

Lacto-vegetarian restaurant, they offer a lot of vegan options, all tasty and very good. They offer vegan pizza, bean and vegetable curries, and a good selection of veggie burgers. It is also possible to have vegan birthday cake upon reservation (allow 10 days). I had a tofu tonkatsu (divine!) with vegan cream, mixed leaves and a selection of German bread rolls. As a dessert, a wonderful banana-chocolate tofucake, one of the best I've ever had. Definitely worth trying. They also have a selection of organic snacks and products made in Europe (Germany and Italy), that the owner personally selects during her trips to Europe.

Pros: very friendly staff, excellent food
Cons: not so easy to find
veganmiss
veganmiss

Vegan Birthday Cake

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

DevaDeva Cafe makes vegan birthday cakes to order (place your order 10 days in advance). The trip to get this cake was a great adventure. I had to take several trains waaaay on what seemed like the outskirts of Tokyo and then go on a hunt for this cafe. Street signs in Japan are not marked well (or at all sometimes). After wandering around for almost three hours on many side streets, I found this place. It was on the second level. Of course. I wasn't looking up for a sign; I was looking at the ground level. I remember I took a Starbucks break in this long hunt and ended up having an early dinner at DevaDeva because it just took so long to find! The cafe had quite a menu and they sold little snack foods (pre-packaged and baked goods they made) at the cash register.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/11/vegan-tokyo.html

samneko
samneko

Absolutely Delicious!

5 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2009

I am thrilled that I had the opportunity to eat here during my recent visit to Japan. The food and service were fabulous! The menu is in Japanese and English, and English is spoken, which made things a bit easier for me.
I ate here with my family two days in a row.
The first day we had a vegan pizza topped with "cheese", tomatoes, corn, and potato, and an avocado yogi burger with French fries. The next day we ordered the avocado Yogi burger with fries and salad, the Yogi ginger "pork" burger with the fries and salad set, vegetable pizza, and the vegetable curry. All were quite tasty.
After our meal, we tried their caffeine-free herbal coffee, which was also quite good.

Pros: Tasty food, Excellent customer service, They understand what
Cons: closed Thursdays
Baza
Baza

excellent

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2008

I loved the food and service. Will definitely go here whenever I'm in Kichijoji.

Pros: delicious, atmosphere, vegan
Cons: location, open hours
Sapna
Sapna

What a tease!

4 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2007

Man oh man,
When I first read about this veg restaurant in Kichijoji, I was really excited to try it because I work around there. The first time, it was pretty hard to find cos the streets are all small and the numbers are scattered. Once I found it, I started thinking of biting into a yummy veggie burger but when I got up the stairs it was CLOSED! They are closed Thursdays which I missed. So, went again a few days later with my boyfriend(who does eat mean) but we both loved the yogi burger. For a starter we had the "snobby salad" which was good but a little pricey (650yen)compared to the other prices. I ordered the mozzerella burger which to my amazement and delight, had real buffalo mozzerella (bocconcini) which is quite expensive in Japan and still the price was just 950! Burgers were quite big and really yummy. The side of fries I found too dry but my bf liked them (he's English so I guess he's likes all fries that are fresh cut). So, went back again on Tuesday around 7pm and guess what? It was CLOSED! Why???!!! It's such a tease!!! I don't know why but maybe it's cos it was after a national holiday? In any case, I wouldn't normally go back to a place that closed whenever they felt like it, but the food was so good, I am almost ashamed to say that I will!! over and over until I try everything on the menu. The place is really cute and feels comfortable. The waitresses know when to come to the table and also when to leave you alone. I love this place.

Pros: Great food , Good value for mains, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Seems to always be closed, Dessert selection limited, Pricey salads and drinks
selena
selena

Wonderful!

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2007

Went there for a birthday dinner and they really made it special! I did not find the portions to be small at all - I ordered a burger, and it was generous and filling and came with a nice side of fries for less than 1000y. The vegan birthday cake was wonderful and had fake whipped cream that fooled me. The staff was super attentive and friendly.

Pros: Great food, Nice atmosphere, Super staff
mprescott
mprescott

Cozy vegetarian place

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2007

A cozy restaurant in Kichijoji serving western vegetarian/vegan food. The curry and tofu cutlet are quite tasty. They also sell a handy pocket guide to Vegan Restaurants in Japan, which I have found immensely helpful. Portions are just enough to fill you up, without leaving any leftovers.

Pros: nice staff, cozy atmosphere, tasty food
Cons: western food not Japanese
Guest
Guest

wonderful

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2007

had a delightful evening at this great cafe/restaurant. i had the veggie burger, and it was yummy!

KelseyApple
KelseyApple

Honto?

2 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2006

I am surprised to read such good reviews for this restaurant. I found the portions tiny and prices steep (1200 yen for a small slab of burg with 5 string beans and about 3 Tablespoons of salad). The taste was also bland and not very good. The service was unsatisfactory and the server I had (although a gaikokujin) definitely was not fluent in English. Luckily I went with a Japanese friend who could translate for me. While I was there I did see other people who had ordered the curry dishes and they seemed to be much bigger portions and smelled much better than what I had. And they did tell us where the closest health food store was. Overall, I was not impressed and would never recommend this cafe to anyone.

Pros: health foods sold here, helpful staff
Cons: expensive, tiny portions, service slow
  • selena selena

Why should they be fluent in English? The foreign guy that works there is from Europe - and his English is quite good, if not perfect.

Dear Owner and Manager of DevaDeva Cafe: