Vegan catering and delivery service turned brick and mortar restaurant opened Sept 2013. Specializes in vegan soul food. Small place seats 25, could accommodate group dining up to 6 persons max (reservation suggested). Walk-in carryout orders stops 30 minutes before closing and is not available on Sunday. Park on street or in rear lot accessing from VanDyke. more-less
Vegan, Southern American, Soul food, Take-out

First Review by vegette
steisjam
steisjam

Amazing food

5 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2014

I've been here a number of times and I have never had a bad dish. The Catfish Tofu is amazing and their sandwishes are also great. The atmosphere is really nice. The only bad thing is that sometimes the food takes a little long to make, but the great food makes up for it. The servers are really friendly too.

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious food, Nice vibe
Cons: Service is sometimes slow
pammie
pammie

FANTASTIC FOOD IF YOU ARE ABLE TO BE SERVED!!!

2 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2014

I live in Alabama but I come to Detroit at least once or twice a quarter for business reasons. I had been looking forward to visiting this restaurant for months. On my first visit I had mac n cheese, greens, and the tofu catfish. Absolutely wonderful! It was a take out order so I did not experience the terrible service that it seems to be known for. I still recommended to two of my friends.

My second visit was on a Sunday. I called ahead as soon as my flight arrived in Detroit around 2:30 p.m. I was told that they could not take a phone order because they were backed up but I might be served if I came in person. I broke all kinds of speeding records and arrived at 3:20 p.m. I seriously wanted some delicious vegan food!!! I was turned away at the door and was told that they were not serving anymore customers period because they were backed up! Of course, I was pissed! I will give this restaurant only one more try!

Pros: Unbelievably delicious food, Seasoned well, Great variety
Cons: Slow or no service
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

My Apologies

5 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2014

My apologies to all the other fine vegan and vegetarian restaurants, past and present, that I have patronized, but this is my new favorite. My first visit was Friday night. My next visit was the night after. My third was the next afternoon. All told, I had 2 smoothies, 1 hot herbal tea, 4 meals, 1 appetizer/starter, 1 small cup of what one might consider tartar sauce, maple syrup, and 2 deserts. The total number of food items, not including the drinks and condiments, was 17. All items except one were amazing. My only problem was with the coleslaw that didn't suit my taste, and I only mention it, because it just doesn't seem fair that everything should be so perfect, or extremely close to it.

The wait staff and owners are as great as the food.

My third visit was with 2 friends, neither of whom are vegans or vegetarians. Both of them want to come back next Sunday.

I challenge anyone to find something that's less than amazing here.

I've been back several times since my previous review, and while it's still my favorite, they changed some recipes. The amazing sauce that they used for tartar sauce is now more like tartar sauces elsewhere. The coleslaw changed to one that I like.

The various cakes and muffins are by far the best anywhere. I do have one issue. Sometimes, someone in the kitchen is a little heavy handed with the salt shaker.

Angela Z
Angela Z

Delicious!

5 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2013

I went for Sunday breakfast and had the breakfast sandwich. AMAZING. I have never had vegan breakfast patties that tasted so good. Excellent service, awesome food and a good value. I will definitely go again.

Updated- I have been back a few times now and have enjoyed the soul platter, (although I found the green too salty on every occasion), the DVS burger was delicious, the Cesar salad is also yummy. I thought I'd like the BLT more than I did but the coconut bacon was too strong for me.

My husband and I love coming here and will continue to bring friends.

Pros: Friendly, Good value, Delicious food
Cons: Greens have been extra salty on every visit, Kitchen on the slower side
vegan4lyfe
vegan4lyfe

Amazing Food Experience!

5 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2013

We were in Detroit for just 2 days, but I wanted to make sure we checked this place out. So glad we did! The food was fabulous and our server was very attentive. I had the Soul Platter - can't believe how awesome the mac n cheez was and it's the first time I've ever had collard greens and they were wonderful. My mom had the BBQ tofu and loved it all. My daughter had the "catfish" tofu and it was spectacular! The tartar sauce was kick-a** - they could totally bottle and sell it! We will definitely go back the next time we're in Detroit!

Pros: Awesome Food, Attentive Server
Cons: Small Portions for Price
vegette
vegette

Future restaurant coming

5 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2013

I was at Detroit Vegan Soul's pop up in West Village in the fall. Currently DVS is closed for delivery services while they get ready to open a permanent location in the west village in spring 2013. Their foot was fantastic. I had mac 'n cheese, braised tempeh and greens. There was also a divine sweet tea with agave syrup. I am going to live there when they open. Get my cot ready!

• veganinvegas veganinvegas

Restaurant fully opened now (as of 9/28/2013)

Dear Owner and Manager of Detroit Vegan Soul: