Cafeteria-style macrobiotic restaurant with its own well-stocked natural organic food store downstairs. The all vegan menu includes soups, grain and beans, vegetable dishes, salads, pickles and dressings, vegan sweet and savory snacks. Cooking classes, lectures and workshops offered throughout the week. Owner confirmed no fish is used in any of the food in the restaurant (June 2013), however the connected health shop does sell fish based items. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Macrobiotic, Western, Catering, Take-out

First Review by RayJulian
HappyCouple
HappyCouple

Ok but pricey

3 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2014

We went eating here on the last evening on our trip to Amsterdam. It was 5 pm and there was only take-away food left. It costed 13,5 euros for a take-away meal with vegetables in some sesame oil, beans and salad with a dressing. We thought it was far too pricey for such a small portion, so we didn't take it. My boyfriend ate a tofu sandwich instead, which wasn't really expensive. I began to feel so hungry that I bought the take-away meal after all, plus a sushi roll from the snack bar. The guy who worked there gave us a 20% discount on the take-away meal. I got some chopsticks to eat with, which was nice. My boyfriend asked for another pair before we left, so we could both eat with them at home. He got them for free. We ate at the restaurant, although I'm not sure if that was convenient now that lunch service was over. It wasn't a cosy place to eat. The food was tasty, we enjoyed it. The sushi roll was a little bit dry and there weren't much vegetables in it, but overall it was fine. It was weird we couldn't read anywhere that the restaurant was completely vegan, but maybe we just didn't notice it.
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 12, 2014

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff
Cons: Expensive, Not a fine place to eat
TMcC
TMcC

Good food, but overpriced

3 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

I had the tiny salad bowl for 5Euros. It was very tasty and healthy, but totally overpriced for what I got. The hot plates cost 13Euros for essentially canteen style food, which seemed a bit much. I also got a tofu sushi roll to take away, which was very nice. There's a good selection of vegan options and sweet treats.

Pros: Good selection of healthy options, Tasty food
Cons: Overpriced, Confusing menu/pricing structure
Kangzosa
Kangzosa

A bit expensive but good selection

3 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

The food upstairs as you walk in is okay, not the greatest, but quite expensive.

Downstairs there is a nice selection of packaged vegan foods, definitely worth having a look at even if you don't buy anything, I got some tofu hotdogs, if your on a budget it's probably best to go to a squat restaurant instead or just have a look at the store downstairs without buying.

Pros: Decent selection of foods downstairs
Cons: Expensive
NEPAveggie
NEPAveggie

Deshima -- not worth the money

2 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

Went to Deshima today and was so disappointed. It was self serve--there were no labels. I had no clue what a good portion of the items actually were. At this point, it was a guessing game as to what I was putting on my plate. No one assisted us in the process. There were no signs in English. For two of us to eat it was €51. This only included one beverage and two small desserts. Apparently you are charged for every dish you use to put food on. I did not know this, and so was charged a crazy amount of money for a TINY amount of food. The food was tasteless and the space was very crowded. They had an upstairs dining area which we attempted to get to-- but was closed. An employee saw us walking upstairs with our food trays and didn't bother to even tell us we couldn't dine there. Awful experience. I wanted my money back.

Pros: Vegan
Cons: Extremely expensive , Staff was unhelpful, rude, Food was tasteless
ESteele02
ESteele02

Great desserts!

5 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2013

Great location and easy to find (near rijksmuseum and vondel park), very convenient If looking for something to take away to eat on the move. If you would like to eat in there is a lot of space, a few tables by the counter and another floor upstairs. The hot food seemed quite expensive for what it was (rice / curry mixtures ) priced at around €15 for a large plate, and a little less for a salad bowl. We opted for the pre made pumpkin tart as a savoury snack, which was lovely. For desserts we couldn't decide so we picked 3, a raspberry cheesecake, tiramisu and a chocolate pudding. All were lovely and surprisingly vegan! The man was very helpful, explaining what was in each dessert and explaining everything was completely vegan. 1 tart and 3 desserts came to €10, very cheap!
The restaurant was very clean, and the staff were friendly and willing to help.
Definately worth a visit if you are near and craving some vegan food!

Pros: Price, Location, Lots of room
Cons: Expensive hot dishes

Veganbogey
Veganbogey

Vegan cake!

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2013

We were visiting Amsterdam for the day on a cruise ship trip. The food on the ship was pretty dire but that's another story! We didn't need savoury food, we just needed desserts! This cafe was an excellent find for us. We had 3 slices of cake between the two of us ( greedy!) and had two wrapped brownies to take back with us. These weren't expensive at all but the savoury food looked very expensive and not particularly appealing.
The desserts were gorgeous. It is worth going just for cake.

Pros: Lovely desserts, Inexpensive
Cons: Felt a bit like 'outsiders'
idjuv
idjuv

Plain, boring expensive food.

2 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2013

Two persons, 2 small plates and 2 small bowls of soup, and a bottled smoothie each.. We payed around 40 euros for that. The food looked really boring, no yummy colors at all (Where's all the bright colorful veggies!?). It wasn't appealing to the eyes but we were hungry so we thought we would try it anyway. So we sit down to eat and it tastes like.. NOTHING. The only thing that had some taste was the bottled smoothies.
Maybe I didn't understand what kind of food this was, but are you not allowed to use any kind of spices? I can't even say it tasted bad, because it really didn't have any taste at all.
We were really dissapointed paying so much money for something so plain and boring. We didn't finish our plates, we just left after picking the food with our forks trying little bites of food.
I think vegan food is supposed to be fun and tasty! This didn't live up to my idea of food and all. I just hope that people that are eating a vegan meal for the first time, don't go to this restaurant because it doesn't do vegan food any justice.
It was like eating dinner in a poor eastern european hospital. Brown beige sloppy food with no appeal at all.
I should have bought some fruit instead.

Pros: vegan
Cons: expensive, plain
Bianca24
Bianca24

Blissfull

5 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2012

We ate the first time at the Deshima and we loved the food:
All healthy, fresh made, organic, macrobiotic , vegan stuff!
There are to different sizes of plates and you can choose from
a buffet with soup, salads, and warm dishes: all really good and healthy!
The place where you can sit to eat is very simple and calm.
The Deshima is a must visit in Amsterdam, it's like a little macrobiotic oasis!
And last but not least: you have to try the oatcookie, it's awsome!

Pros: Healthy, Mostly glutenfree, Friendly staff
dkinjer
dkinjer

Good cafeteria-style vegan restaurant

4 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2012

We ate in Deshima two times. One time we arrived after 3pm and therefore the lunch hour was over (this should be posted in the description of the restaurant), so there was no hot food or soup left, but we still could have a plate of food from the cold food. We had enough selection. Though it is cafeteria-style, I would say that the price is a bit high for what you get. But the food was tasty, pleasantly presented (you serve yourself), the restaurant was clean, and the staff was super-friendly. We were told that everything there is vegan.
The second time we came there, we came during the lunch hours and we had some of the hot dishes. We were pleased - all very tasty, and once again found the staff very friendly.
The tables/chairs are very simple, but the place is clean and orderly and gives a cheerful and pleasant feeling.

Pros: Tasty food , great for vegans, very friendly staff
Cons: limited hours
emilysbread
emilysbread

Wonderful.

5 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2012

I love this place. Great and healthy food, friendly and helpful staff, delicious tofu sandwiches and tofu and tempeh sushi, wonderful desserts ("Hazelnut dessert" is absolutely incredible), cakes and cookies.

mikebinos
mikebinos

Way too expensive for what it is

3 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2012

OK, so it won't break the bank, it's not the most expensive meal in town, but at 13 euro for a plate that's a bit much for, essentially, vegetables and a grain. Amsterdam has a huge lack of organic shops with cafes in them (taking the train 2.5 hours to Brussels and you have at least 4 or 5 type places), and Deshima is, as far as I know, the only one of its kind in the city. That makes you want to go there often, but with the price of a plate at 13 euro it's hard to do that, especially since it's only eat-in for lunch. You can get a smaller plate or a bowl for less, but at that point I'd rather just make a salad. If you don't mind the price then the food itself is good, I will give it that, but with vegan dinners in Amsterdam available for around 5 euro at places like MKZ and De Peper, a 13 euro lunch is pricey.

Aya
Aya

Lots of healthy stuff

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2012

This place is definitely unique, the selection of food is good and the staff are friendly. I guess this place is good for a healthy snack, but I wouldn't go here if I wanted to have a nice lunch/dinner with friends, as seating is quite uncomfortable.
Also, food is quite expensive. However, if you are into macrobiotic food, this place is definitely worth visiting.

Pros: Tasty and healthy, Quite small
Cons: Expensive.., Could be cozier
Ton
Ton

• raw

Great vegan place.

4 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2011

Great place. Self service. Place also very suitable to eat alone. Vegan organic food. Come early afternoon, when the food is just freshly made.

sglcklch
sglcklch

Tasty food but not worth the price

3 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2011

Food was pretty good, so was the variety of options. I was really surprised to find natto in the chilled section.

That said, their system was quite confusing. I thought small plates were for salad only and large ones for salad + warm dishes; but after we took our seats and started eating I saw someone grab a small plate and spoon everything on it, and I also saw somebody go to the salad bar for a second helping. Staff didn't seem to care. There was also a sign on the wall that apparently told people not to pile up their plates.. I mean, what are they thinking?

My partner and I just followed the supposed rules. He got a bowl for the salad and I got a large plate for the hot food and we shared. The total came to €24, which both of us found fairly expensive for what we got, and the size of the plate wasn't even that big to begin with. Overall it wasn't bad experience; but once is enough for this place.

Pros: variety, tasty
Cons: pricy, confusing system
hack_man
hack_man

Pumpkin Day

3 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

After a long walk following Prinsengracht on a cold rainy day we eventually found this large 3-levelled place just off Leidseplein. Probably wont be going back but that's not a bad thing. Nothing actually wrong with it, just a standard self service experience with no frills. The food was fine; lots of variations of pumpkin (roasted, soup, battered and grilled) plus various hot and cold dishes which are paid for based on the size of plate chosen (small, medium or large) - make sure you pile the food on to get your money's worth. Glad to have been and worth a punt if you happen to be in town. There appears to be a nice community atmosphere here and I hope it's there for many years to come.

Pros: ethical
Cons: location, food, plain
Lomedin
Lomedin

Expensive. Very.

2 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2011

This is a self-service establishment with 4 or 5 different choices plus soup. The first thing that comes to mind is the price for the buffet. Can't understand why it's listed as inexpensive. A dessert size plate is 7.50e, and from then it goes to 13.50e and 15.50e for a medium size, which is quite excessive. The food was kind of plain and didn't look that good, although it was ok once you start eating eat (nothing disgusting. Well, except for the miso soup, perhaps. My partner thought it was nice though, so it can be just me).
We were told that everything was vegan, although the sushi on display said vegetarian sushi(?).
Apart from that, I couldn't see any dried fish as warned in the description.
I guess the place is alright if you don't mind expending so much money for such little and plain food.

Pros: All vegan (or so they said)
Cons: Very expensive, Not that tasty
  • gutuater gutuater

I have worked there. The restaurant is ALL vegan (sushi included, with three fillings: tofu, shiitake and tempeh), but the shop downstairs has a couple of packaged fish products (tuna flakes and canned fish). Nothing that should scare off restaurant customers, anyway.

jodibenassi
jodibenassi

great food

4 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2010

This is the first time I've tried macrobiotic food and it was really good. I felt great the entire afternoon after having lunch there. I also liked the grocery store downstairs.

Pros: Great food, Good selection of entrees, good portions
Guest
Guest

Excellent Quality, but Expensive

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2010

It cost 13.50 euro for a buffet plate, which when combined with the bus fair, was a bit more than I wanted to pay (btw bus 10 drops you off right outside the restaurant). The food, however, was fantastic! They had lots of homemade choices and you can sample a little of everything. I went back 3 of the 7 days I was in Amsterdam and each time there were different kinds of food on the buffet line. Everything is 100% vegan, and almost everything was delicious. Would highly recommend going at least once if you're ever in Amsterdam. It was worth the 15 minute bus ride and the 13.50 euro each time. Also, they stop cooking at 4pm and only have takeaway after that, so go before 4.

Pros: 100% vegan, fresh, homemade
Cons: cost, hours
veggiewoman
veggiewoman

nice to see amongst the pasteryville

3 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2010

The prices of the plates are a bit high (around 12 Euros for cafetaria style at a super casual place, aka eat at a counter or one of 2 tables), but the ready made items are well priced. Nice to find in a sea of pastries in Amsterdam. I had a pretty yummy tofu sandwich.

Pros: tasty, health food store below
Cons: not huge variety
AgnieszkaZimolag
AgnieszkaZimolag

awesome place for nourishing food

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2010

I just love this place altough it is a bit expensive. The food is all vegan and macrobiotic. The stuff is very friendly. There is always a place to seat. You can choose from diffrent raw veggies and make your own salad. Then you have some grains most of the time is brown rice ( with sth) , tofu or tempeh, tempura sometimes ( very delicious), blanched greens, yummy soups, bean casserole. And desserts. They are the best on this world. Especially cakes . Some of them are also made without flour. Desserts are relatively cheap. Downstairs you have a tiny shop where you can find everything which macrobiotic practicioner should have. A wide choice of foods there is ground breaking. So genreally i do recommend this place for those who are new to macrobiotics because they can very easily fall in love with it.

Pros: macrobiotic, tasty, quiet
Cons: expensive
jill_1011
jill_1011

Limited and Bland

3 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2010

The people working at this establishment were very kind and helpful. However, if you are more interested in food than service, avoid eating here.

The menu is set up as a pay per plate size (small: 12.50 eur, large: 14.50 eur).
Self serve from a limited hot and cold table with food derived from a 70's cookbook. Bland and expensive.

I would not return here.

Pros: vegetarian, macrobiotic, lots of seating
Cons: expensive, limited options, not tasty
TaZ
TaZ

Wonderful vegan food

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2010

We ate there twice and went back to pick up food for our plane ride home. The food was fantastic. Although Happy Cow calls them vegetarian, we were told the food was all vegan and it certainly seemed to be.
There's a hot and cold buffet, which has good variety and a case of take-away food which includes sushi, sandwiches (the tofu sandwich was divine!) and baked goods.
My nonvegetarian husband loved it as much as I did.

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

i had no idea it was a macro biotic academy!

3 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2009

We hopping in to grab a bite and realized we'd already had their food at the BioMarket down the street. They make these giant sushi rolls! Also, in the basement there is a nice little biomarket. Best time to go is during lunch.

feorag
feorag

Tiny vegan haven

3 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2008

I visited at lunchtime, when €12.50 allowed me to fill a large plate from a selection of salads and hot items - a main course (stir fried tofu and vegetables) and a number of sides, including brown rice. Other possibilities included small plates or bowls for salads only. Soups, drinks and desserts were extra.

The space is tiny, with very little seating available. It was also not immediately obvious what the system was, or which end of the counter was which. The food itself is macrobiotic, and entirely vegan as far as I could tell. It was also solid and wholesome, although a little bland - though as we were there prior to a beer festival, this was an advantage.

The meat-eating partner opined that he was satisfied, though he wouldn't rush there himself.

The shop downstairs is full of interesting Japanese stuff, including kuruma-fu, which I've never seen outside Japan before.

Pros: brown rice, healthy food, vegan desserts
Cons: Not much seating, confusing at first, bland food
RayJulian
RayJulian

Deshima

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2008

Deshima is a self-service cafeteria which is in and part of the Kushi Institute of Amsterdam (which also includes a macrobiotic/organic food shop and macrobiotic courses). The food includes a section with about half-a-dozen appetizers, about 5 main dishes and a wonderful and sinnfull variety of freshly made desserts, cakes and cookies. The price is by weight. The food is made daily by macrobiotic cooks and covers a variety of ingridients and cooking styles and tastes wonderful. I could eat there every day!

Pros: Central Location, Great Food, Good variety
Cons: A bit cramped when full

Dear Owner and Manager of Deshima: