Vegan deli cafe in downtown with emphasis on global cuisine using as many local ingredients. Menu items such as wraps, salads, bean dishes, quinoa, pasta salads, breakfast burrito, smoothies, and baked treats. Became all vegan since 2012. Took over the location of the now defunct In Season Deli. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, International, Take-out

BrittanyShaye
BrittanyShaye

Giddy with Joy!

Posted on 11 / 04 / 2014

This place is seriously rad! I love the people and the food that they make! I was super impressed by how good the food was! This place is definitely a must!

Pros: organic, local, changes daily
Cons: they are too amazing
kzemach
kzemach

Really REALLY Good

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2013

Was way better than I was expecting, and I was expecting really good! Totally worth the trip. Awesome food, great staff. Excellent vibe.

Pros: healthy, delicious, creative
Cons: none!
Tuliza
Tuliza
  • raw

Love it

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2013

All I can say is LOVE IT! :)

krystallion
krystallion

Delicious Food!

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2013

I love this place! It's probably kinda hard to find, but it's on Mill Avenue, tucked in the back of the courtyard next to FatBurger.

The first time I ate here I was so amazed at how good it was and how great and full I felt after eating their food. They definitely influenced me to become vegan!

The menu changes daily so I check their Facebook to see what they are serving. They use as many local ingredients as they can. They typically have 2-4 types of hummus daily, 4-6 of types of salads with veggies, grains, mac and cheez, vegan bagels, and cookie bars. I think they even serve breakfast!

They only have outdoor seating at this time, but they have misters on the patio to help with the heat. Desert Roots Kitchen has a nice friendly atmosphere.

Jax2u
Jax2u

Yumm!

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2013

Just tried Desert Root today for the first time...thanks to Happy Cow. The staff was great...I tried a Chili Black Bean wrap with a side of lentil and dal. I was in heaven! The dal had almond slivers and dates...so good! This is a tiny location with plenty of outdoor seating. A great local business. I will be back!

Pros: Excellent Food, Good value, Friendly Staff
nsweeney
nsweeney

Very good

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2013

Had a very nice afternoon lunch at Desert Roots. It was a Friday afternoon and the weather was great so after picking out our items we sat on the patio to eat. The food was really good (everything was vegan :-)), prices were good and the service very friendly. They are definitely going to be added into my lunch rotations.

Pros: Menu varies daily, Vegan
Cons: Not open weekends
SkinnyBytes
SkinnyBytes

Cute litte Deli in Tempe. Tasty food, daily menu.

Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

Being a recent vegetarian, I'm always looking for new diggs to eat. I saw Desert Roots popup on HappyCow, and thought I'd give it a try. Overall, a cute little down-to-earth deli on Mill, with a small but tasty made-from-scratch menu which changes daily. No in-house seating, but there is a sizable outdoor seating area; there are cooling mist-ers, but in the summer you may want to just grab-n-go.

I had the Thai wrap with honey mustard potato salad, and I wasn't disappointed. The wrap was loaded with rice, beans, greens, and a touch of peanut sauce. The potato salad was not your run-of-the-mill either, with tasty bits of carrot and celery mixed in.

Since the website is still under construction, I was told to check them out on Facebook for the current menu: https://www.facebook.com/DesertRootsKitchen

Overall, a win for us vegetarians/vegans, with gluten and dairy free choices as well. Thumbs up!

Pros: Rotating Menu, Friendly staff/owner, Casual Deli Style
Cons: No indoor seating

Dear Owner and Manager of Desert Roots Kitchen: