CLOSED: Der Kleine Buddha

Serves meat, veg options available. Vegetarian friendly organic bistro and health food shop with many vegan choices. Offers salad, soups, cakes, and alternating dishes such as falafel platter, pasta, spelt crepe with vegetable or sweet filling. All-day breakfast. Hot food available from 11am-3pm and 6-9pm. Prices range between 3 to 10€. There is a weekly culinary theme e.g. Arabic. Has wi-fi. Previously reported to be all veg but no longer, Oct 2012. Previously located on Mareschstr. MAY 2014 REPORTED IN ACTIVITY AND LIKELY CLOSED. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, German, Western, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by wildfang
mumintroll
mumintroll

Dropped in while in Berlin for business

4 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

Stayed at a nearby hotel for some business, and after a full day of, after all, somewhat generic hotel food, I ventured outside the hotel complex for fresh air and a relaxing place that offered vegetarian food. Little Buddha was the most proximate place, and I had a very peaceful, yummy dinner there. My choice was their cabage curry, which was delicious, and their grain coffee, which came with just the right strengt and tardiness. The place is cushy and I spend some time after the meal, sipping on my coffee and reading about metalogics. In essence, I had a perfect time there. If you look for a simple place offering good food and a relaxing atmosphere, you should definitely give Der kleine Buddha a try.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 25, 2012

Pros: Yummy food, Relaxing food, Adjoined store
wildfang
wildfang

Der kleine Buddha

3 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2011

Der kleine Buddha is a nice café and organic food shop situated in an area of Berlin where it's still hard to find vegan and vegatrian options, so it's defnitely worth a visit. They have a daily changing menu which when we were there consisted of different curries (pepper, aubergine...) and soups (onion, beetroot...). A soup cost 3,6€, a curry was 7,9€ - not very cheap but you have to consider it's all organic and prepared fresh.
We ordered the onion soup and the aubergine curry which came with a tasty salad and basmati rice and was tasty and filling. The soup was good as well.
Our hot chocolate with soya milk was diasppointing, though - it basically tasted of hot milk, hardly any chocolate in there at all - and with so little taste quite pricy for 3€. And here again: Why do I get punished for being vegan and have to pay an extra 20 cents for soya milk instead of cow's milk? Dear owners: Please stop discriminating people who have chosen to do something good for the animals and the planet by cutting out dairy from their diet. Thanks.

The place is quite cosy with old stylish sofas to sit on.
I also found vegan Schweineohren (heart-shaped puff pastry; tips dipped in chocolate) at their bakery - something you hardly ever find anywhere, which made me totally happy. If I'm in the area, I will visit little Buddha again.

Pros: all organic, friendly staff, opening hours
Cons: extra charge for soya milk, bland hot chocolate

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Der Kleine Buddha: