Den Teepot

Brussels vegan-friendly restaurant. Menu of day plus sides and a soup of day. A good veggie natuurwinkel. Not all cakes are vegan. NOTE: there is a shop downstairs from the restaurant that sells some vegetarian-friendly foods and health foods. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Macrobiotic, Japanese, International

First Review by scallymuffin
Winterdragon
Winterdragon

• herbivore

Good store, obscure restaurant

3 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

Nice store with good assortment of vegan things. The restaurant was so obscure and had inconvenient opening hours, so I never managed to visit it.

bobbyrudy
bobbyrudy

peaceful place

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

just recently they started to have buffets and you pay per weight of your food, which is better than when they have been a regular restaurant. there were 7 different dishes, a salad and a soup. food was excellent, fresh and tasty and it did taste the same.

Pros: many varieties of food, peaceful place, helpful staff
Cons: a bit costly, hard to find, more desert options needed
Babai
Babai

Cosy place

3 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

Good food, very healthy, I liked the calm atmosphere and the relaxed mood. Maybe a bit too relxed in the sense that we had to wait too long, but it's OK for a place that is clearly not intended to be a mass diner.

Pros: Atmosphere
Cons: service a bit slow
starcide
starcide

Highly Recommended

5 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2013

I believe this place has changed a little, it's still only open 12-2, but has become a pay by weight buffet. Also a couple of the deserts aren't vegan but the buffet fully is. The food in the buffet was interesting, a good mix of what I'd call Vegan Healthfood, I had sticky rice balls, a seitan steak, vegetables done in a nice sauce and a good salad. The meal wasn't cheap but worth the price, about 18 euros in all with a cup of tea. The lady on the till was really nice and helpful and spoke really good english after I inquired.

Pros: Great food
Cons: Not cheap, Note the opening hours
iheartmyself
iheartmyself

Friendly - Quality - Simple

4 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2013

I love to eat at Den Teepot!
It's a clean, genuine and friendly place.
The ingredients are always fresh and the staff is always friendly.

Pros: Good honest food, Good value
Mu
Mu

sad

2 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2012

I've been there several times since it's now the only vegan place left in Brussels.
The menu is disappointing and boring, and the plates are rather small indeed.
But what I dislike the most: the staff is cold and unhelpful, and makes you feel unconfortable (definitely not something you'd expect when going to the restaurant!?)
The last time was one too many, I don't think I'd go back there :(

Pros: organic ingredients
Cons: service, unimaginative, poor opening times
Tara HD
Tara HD

Decent vegan food for Brussels

3 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2012

I've been there twice so far. It's certainly not the greatest vegan food I've ever had. The ingedients are good and fresh but the food seriously lacks salt. For Brussels' standards it's fine though - you don't actually have that much choice as a vegan. I would go there again when I'm in Brussels.

Pros: vegan
Cons: food lacks salt
CaroSamsa
CaroSamsa

Vegan and good, but not perfect

3 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

My boyfriend and I were relieved about the fact that we found a vegan restaurant in Brussels because being vegan is not that easy in this city as a tourist who has no own kitchen(unless you always wanna eat Falafel and French Fries). The staff was friendly and the waiting time was really short. But we were disappointed when we learned about the opening hours (only from 12-2 in the noon from Mon. - Sat.). Furthermore, there is no big variety of food. There is actually always the same (rice and vegetables) and you can only add or leave out some stuff.

Pros: 100% vegan, friendly staff, no long waiting time
Cons: opening hours, No big variety
Rosa and Joe
Rosa and Joe

Nice old-fashioned veggie food

3 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

Den Teepot is a bit like veggie cafes in England used to be - brown rice, veg, salads, various grains. Probably perfect if you're a very healthy wholesome sort of eater! Normally we prefer more exciting food but because we found very limited vegan food in Brussels, especially in August when some places were shut, it was a welcome break from falafel and chips.

Bit pricey for what it is (I think we paid over 40 euros for 2 ppl including main meal, soup, and we shared one beer). Friendly nice service but very haphazard, had to wait 20 minutes for tea, although we weren't really in a hurry so never mind. It's a really nice room overlooking a lovely street and they have excellent beers which are cheap (we recommend the Saison Dupont organic).

ulpu
ulpu

• raw

Too small portions!

2 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

For a lunch I found the place expensive. The plates were very small, more like starter size. Ingredients were obviously of good quality but the result a bit tasteless. Service was nice and chilled, but after all I left disappointed and still hungry.

Pros: Vegan, Ingredients, Service
Cons: Very small plates, Expensive, Tasteless
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

Delicious food

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2012

I would eat here every day possible. Delicious vegan food. Good-sized plate at lunch.
Healthfood store on street level.

Pros: healthy food
Senficon
Senficon

Excellent and very fast

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2012

I had the menu of the month with the praised croquettes and a lovely tarte for dessert. The food was delicious and the kitchen was very fast, everyone got the meal of the day within five minutes at the most. Though others have complained about the dish sizes, I found them completely sufficient for lunch.

The only thing I would have hoped for was for them to have loose tea, considering the restaurant is called the teapot. But that doesn't detract from my overall rating, as everything else was perfect. The store on the ground floor has a great selection of freshly baked bread, vegan cheese, vegetables and lots of other stuff.

Pros: healthy cuisine, fast, nice atmosphere
Cons: no loose tea, small selection
mikebinos
mikebinos

Great spot in Brussels

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2012

Went here both times I've been to Brussels. The dagschotel (dish of the day) is always quite large and filling with grains, veggies, and some sort of protein. Expect 4 or 5 small components to the meal (grain, protein, pulses, salad, roasted veggie). No coffee available, only grain coffee substitute. Nice shop downstairs as well.

MMC
MMC

Queen of Quinoa

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2011

This was my second visit to this charming spot - the road is currently under construction so it is a little harder to find but is well worth the journey! Junko is the chef who specializes in macrobiotic cuisine and offers cooking classes on the third Sunday of every month.The daily menu had the most wonderful quinoa croquettes consisting of quinoa, rice and veggies - the chef's daughter said she eats four a day - just for breakfast! They are really something to crow about and are available for take out and fly away from the Bio Market downstairs.

Also for anyone in need of seasonings - the sesame salt available in small pots
is really something to peck at! Enjoy!

Pros: Staff and great food, Beautiful lighting and ambiance, Bio beer!
Joyatri
Joyatri

Centrally located with new menu

4 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2011

We went here in early June, when they had just re-opened and started offering their expanded menu.

The second-floor space is open and airy with pretty murals on the wall. The ordering and service were a bit chaotic, but they apologized and said that it was their first few days with the new menu. As the previous poster mentioned, they now serve more than one daily dish. The menu listed the rice and vegetables for 7 Euros, add croquette or seitan stew for 11 Euros, or add croquette and seitan stew for 13 Euros.

I got the rice and vegetables which was nicely seasoned, but nothing earth-shattering. That day the vegetables were fennel, celery and carrots plus a little green salad. My partner had the rice and vegetable and croquette and enjoyed it. Portions are a bit small so we felt that it was pricey for what you got.

Also on the menu are sautéed rice and vegetables for 9 Euros and pasta and vegetables for 10 Euros. They offered soup and two dessert options, plus wine and beer.

Den Teepot is the only vegan restaurant that is centrally located, so it is a great option for lunch.

Pros: friendly service, pleasant dining space, all vegan
Cons: only open for lunch, portions slightly small, a bit pricey
crazyg
crazyg

new menu

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2011

this is my lunch venue almost every day as I am lucky enough to live across the road from it-I have had withdrawal symptoms in the last few months as this restuarant was closed for about 3 months-Well great news it reopened last month and is better then ever-previously they had only one dish of the day which was always good-but now you really have to study the menu as they have at least 5 alternatives which is great-I am not an expert on food but I appreciate that this is macrobiotic food as opposed to a vegetarian food which would be more varied

Pros: good portions, excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: tired decor, not open evenings
kibber2004
kibber2004

Great fresh food

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2011

Just one course a day here, but almost invariably a delight. Good quality, fresh and tasty. Menus seem to get somewhat repetative, but that's fine as one also often eats the same at home:)
Speed of service can be a problem when in a hurry. Also, don't be discouraged if you don't immediately find it, go to the bioshop and dare your way up the stairs!

Pros: Tasty, Fresh
Cons: Speed, Hard-to-find
cyrano
cyrano

Perfection in Perpetual Progress

5 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2011

This is my home town, and my lunch favorite. Organic, season following menu. Small very balanced plates, whole rice anytime, always beans/tempeh or tofu. Theres a team of switching cooks, so everyday is a new creative experience.
the best place in town, lunch only place. best miso soup and grain coffee of belgium.

Pros: 100%organic, perfectly balanced menu, simple, creative, foods own taste, staff is divinely friendly and joyfull
Cons: only one plate of the day > very fresh, only open from 12 till 2pm., small plates, slowly eaten its perfect
hokusai77
hokusai77

A veggie heaven in Brussels

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2010

Brussels might not be the vegan-friendliest city in Europe, but Den Teepot is a really nice place to have lunch and to shop. Food is macrobiotic and vegan, portions are quite OK. I loved the cakes, especially the crunchy nut cakes, which are the ones I would recommend. The main con is their opening times, only for lunch.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 28, 2010

Pros: nice place , healthy, good food, health food shop downstairs
Cons: opening times - lunch only , pets are not allowed, not wheelchair accessible
gpcarlo
gpcarlo

• non-vegetarian

One to be missed.

2 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2010

At last got to try this and wish we hadn't. Food seems to be pre-prepared...despite that took awhile longer than it should to serve. Anyway despite that there are bigger issues here... food is bland and uninspiring (I am not a great cook and I could do better) and your choice is soup or plate of the day. If your doctor has advised a diet with no flavour then this is the place for you. Shop downstairs was the best part of this place.

Pros: Shop downstairs, Friendly staf
Cons: Bland, Uninspiring, Unimaginative
Schwalbe
Schwalbe

Great vegetarian restaurant downtown Brussels

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2010

Centrally located, lovely atmosphere, very friendly service. The "plate du jour" ("daily menu") offered a nutritionally well-balanced variety. I very much enjoyed the taste, even though the vegetables could have been cooked less and the cook could have added some spices.

Pros: Centrally located, Friendly service, Comfortable atmosphere
Cons: Lacks spices, Vegetables slightly overcooked
Forbala
Forbala

great food

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2010

A hardcore macrobiotic lunch place, VERY slow service but all the care for the preparation of the meal and the taste of it totally pay up for that...take your time...

Paopao
Paopao

Macrobiotic restaurant

3 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2010

The food is not so bad, considering this is Bruxelles and here veganism is an alien concept. Ok macrobiotic food. Unfortunately not all desserts are vegan. Lacks a bit of sexiness in the way the dish is presented but it's all in all worth a try. Nice organic food shop downstairs and maybe a bit too "bio hippie" on the clientele. It can be a pleasant place to spend your lunch time in a quite and relaxed atmosphere. Bring your chopsticks, you'll look like one of the crowd :)

Pros: Light macrobiotic
Cons: small choice
marcstevens
marcstevens

Oasis in veggie desert

3 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2009

Den Teepot was our first meal stop on a brief sojourn in Brussels, and hit the spot. Nothing to write home about particularly, but was pleasant enough. It made me realise how lucky we are in London having so many funky veggie/vegan joints to choose from.

Pros: All vegan, Filling, tasty, nutritious, Sweet staff
Cons: Limited choice, Slightly out of the way, Slightly shabby
ahuyton
ahuyton

Pleasant atmosphere

3 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2009

This is a nice, relaxed place to eat. There is basically one main lunch dish, which usually consists of a variety of salads, hot items. It's not out of this world, but is pleasant and filling. Not expensive, for Brussels. The staff are friendly. Downstairs is a health food shop with a good selection (sadly though I think I saw fish products the last time I was there).

Pros: Price, Vegan, Relaxed
Cons: Old fashioned food
Jo Kay
Jo Kay

Spring lunch at Den Teepot

3 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2009

I went to Den Teepot today for lunch with my parents, sister and young nieces - i was the only vegan, the others are all carnivores!
The cafe was on the 2nd floor of a wonderfully yellow building with a great organic health shop underneath also selling a selection of vegi cheeses, fresh bread and vegan and vegi cakes. We went up a stairway at the front of the shop, assuming it was the way to the cafe, as it wasn't signposted, and found the wonderfully airy and simply designed dining room.
The menu was tiny as they only did a dish of the day or soup...plus extras of rice, bread or salad. The kids ate the same as us but just smaller portions. What came was actually very tasty, lovely flavours all on a plate together: rice, pasta with delicious toasted seeds, endives, a small salad, a tofu-ey mushroom thing and a little pile of hot veg - sounds like alot but there was only a tiny portion of each. It was all yummy but i could have eaten a bit more! My family ordered some bread as they were still quite hungry, and the waitress popped downstairs to the shop and cut some organic brown bread for us, it was lovely but with no soy butter, balsamic vinegar or oil for dipping, in hindsight we should've ordered it to come with the meal.
Although i didn't have a dessert, they did look nice: vanilla and chocolate soy pudding and a cake selection.
So all in all, i enjoyed it very much and was very excited to have gone there. I would definitely go again, but order bread with the meal.
So my conclusions are: delicious and simple, although a little plain and not much choice.

Pros: Delicious, Great shop, friendly staff
Cons: Small portions, No choice, Expensive considering portion size
scallymuffin
scallymuffin

BEST in the West

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2008

As someone who travels a lot in Europe.. and has been to a number of vegetarian vegan restaurants and cafes in the various countries I can honestly say that Den Teepot is the BEST Vegan place I have been to! :) Not only are the meals filling, delicious and healthy.. it is COMPLETELY Vegan.

The Dagshotel or dish of the day is terrific so I'm never put off by the lack of choice. Your plate is always filled with about 5 different things so its like having 5 different meals in one! yum! Maybe its because they use the fresh organic produce from the amazing and vast shop downstairs.. but there really is something in the flavours.

Service is efficient - really quick! - and friendly. A popular place.. dont get there too late or you avoid dissapointment!
One thing to note tho is that their cakes, allbeit there are vegan options arent the best Ive tasted... for the best vegan deserts.. ever! head across town to La Tsampa in Ixelles. A little pricey but worth it.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Healthy, Delicious Food
Cons: not the nicest desserts, only open for a few hours at lunchtime

Dear Owner and Manager of Den Teepot: