CLOSED: Demuths

Small veggie restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, tea, cakes, and dinner. Has a children's menu. Non-smoking. AUG 2013 REPORTED OWNER SOLD, AND RESTAURANT BECAME ACORN VEGETARIAN. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Beer/Wine, International
2 North Parade Passage (Abbey Green)
Bath, England BA1 1NX
01225-446059

Open Sun-Thur 10am-5pm, 5:30pm-10pm, Fri 10am-5pm, 6pm-10pm, Sat 9am-5pm, 6pm-10pm.

• Reservations required

First Review by Sernicki
RealGandy
RealGandy

Demuths has been sold

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2013

Demuths has been sold to two members of staff and has changed name to Acorn Vegetarian Kitchen.

Head chef, Richard is one of the new owners and so it will continue to deliver fresh, seasonal vegetarian dishes.

See press release here on local paper website:

MeiLi
MeiLi
  • herbivore

Divine!

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2013

I've dined around the world and this is my absolute favourite for fine dining in the world. I only wish I could afford to go there more often! I'd also like to see more vegan options in the future!

Pros: creative dishes, gorgeous presentation, new flavours to discover!
Cons: expensive, book days in advance, small space
CatherineM
CatherineM

Excellent friendly service

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

I ate here at lunchtime, and had to wait 45 mins to get a table, as it was busy. But it was worth the wait. I had 2 courses for £12.50. Both were excellent and the staff went out of their way to be helpful.

Pros: Good value for lunchtime, Great staff, Central location
Cons: Can be busy

veggie4eva
veggie4eva

Good quality food and great menu!

5 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2013

My husband and I visited Demuths for dinner for a special occasion. The ambience was just right and the staff were very friendly.

The menu had a great range of high quality dishes with generous portions! Presentation was excellent.

Would definitely recommend!

alia_801
alia_801

A good place for a 'posh' meal

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

Having eaten at Demuths a few years ago, we detoured to go there again as we wanted something a bit different from the 'normal' vegan options we'd been eating on our trip. We weren't disappointed. Service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. The food was fantastic - smoked potatoes were our highlight, and the chocolate ganache was out of this world. Worth a visit if you want a change - but be prepared to pay for it.

Pros: Friendly, attentive service, Classy food, A dining experience, not just a quick meal
Cons: A little pricey - but worth it
spacehopper
spacehopper

Excellent dining when in Bath.

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2012

We just spent a gorgeous week in Bath and ate at Demuths most days, very accomodating and the superb food was creative and delicious, well done we will be back soon.

Pros: Excellent food, Superb polite staff, Gorgeous surroundings
vegan frog
vegan frog

Best in Bath

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

A small vegetarian restaurant in Bath town centre, Demuths had lots of vegan options clearly marked on the menu. I ate there several times on a visit to Bath a while back and enjoyed every single dish. I bought the cookbook which is not fully vegan but has great recipes, including a delicious date cake.

Guest

Delicious and great value for money

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

My husband and I had dinner here on the 11th May 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

As vegans, there were plenty of options on the menu.

We started with some bread followed by the pumpkin soup and mike's cauliflower (which is now vegan). The pumpkin soup was good but the cauliflower was the winner.

For our main course we had the king Edward ballotine and the purple sprouting broccoli. Both dishes were very tasty but the ballotine was incredible.

We finished up with the chocolate dessert and the pineapple dessert, both of which were good. Again, the pineapple was the best with an amazing vegan mascapone style 'cheese' on the side.

I had buckwheat tea with my dessert, which I'd never tried before and I really enjoys it.

The staff were friendly and helpful but it was busy so the service, although acceptable, could have been a little quicker.

There is a nice atmosphere, which the photos don't portray.

I will definitely eat here again if I am in Bath (we're based in London).

We felt that the food was excellent value for money - large portions of well presented, delicious mains for around £15 each.

Pros: Excellent food, Great value for money, Friendly staff
bristolwhite
bristolwhite

Extremely over priced

2 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

I have visited this restaurant twice now with my family, first time was ok though expensive second time was pretty disappointing to say the least, small portions and again very expensive and the food was not that great, in fact both my daughters left most of what was served to them which when you consider the cost of food here i was not best pleased. The staff are friendly enough but this does not compensate for what we thought was over priced disappointing food. Had the food been tasty then i may have been more excepting of the cost.
Expensive clearly doesn't mean great in this case and i would be interested to know how the owners can justify such a high price? My whole family are veges so to be able to visit a place that caters solely for veges is a pleasant change, however i doubt we will be bothering with Demuths again which is sad in a way because we like to support vege restaurants but not at any cost. My advice is look around Bath if you are vege as there are some great cafes and restaurants who offer some great vege options at a lot less cost.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: very expensive, small portions, food not that great
Claire Bear
Claire Bear

Lovely lunch

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2011

I've been going to Demuth's (and Rachel Demuth's Vegetarian cookery school) for many years, but infrequently as I don't live that close to Bath. It did go through a phase a few years ago when I felt it wasn't as good as when Rachel was the Chef, but at my last visit it really was back on top form. My husband and I were meeting a friend who was a bit late and so we ordered a side dish of saute new potatoes to share, which was huge and yummy. So when our friend arrived, we decided to share a sandwich and then share a pud. The sandwich we chose was lush wholegrain toasted bread on mixed leaves with some kind of delicious spicy hummus with preserved lemon oil (mental note to get some of that!) and roasted squash slices. Purrrrfect. Pudding was a choc mousse (nice and dark and not too sweet) with a pink peppercorn tuile (whatever that is but it tasted good!). I would highly recommend this place - staff are charming and it is pricey but portions are large so you can share! Also would recommend Rachel Demuth's fantastic cookery books - available from her website if you google her name.

Pros: creative food, Hearty portions, Charming staff
Cons: A bit pricey, No biscuits for sale to go with coffee!
Vegmers
Vegmers

Fabulous meal

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

My husband and I had dinner at Demuths with a friend. We invited our friend at the last minute and the restaurant was more than happy to accommodate an extra person at our table. The food was excellent (lots of vegan options), and the service was friendly. The server was able to answer questions and was present without ever making us feel rushed or that he was hovering. We enjoyed a leisurely meal and would return if we find ourselves in Bath again.

Pros: excellent food, great service
Cons: pricey
evilfrozenpeas
evilfrozenpeas

Great For A Treat

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2011

Lovely well designed and seasonal foods, but of course a little on the pricey side. Great for a treat, just don't go every week!

kimward8
kimward8

Really tasty

4 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2011

This place is easy to find right near the touristy area in Bath. I had the soba cashew noodles for lunch and they were delicious (it was actually made with udon noodles). I had some sort of coconut cashew praline with berry sauce for dessert, which tasted like it was a raw dessert, which I'm not that fond of. But I had a side of swedish glace soy vanilla ice cream and that was delicious! Next time I would probably just go for the ice cream for dessert. It's a pleasant little place, which could only be improved by more vegan options.

Pros: Good quality food
Cons: Needs more vegan options
  • Caryne Caryne

I had the coconut praline dessert when I was there a few weeks ago and it was the most divine thing I have ever eaten in over thirty years of being vegan. All tastes are subjective but I do suggest that every vegan tries this desert at least once in their lives.

artsandcrafts
artsandcrafts

wonderful

5 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2011

We have eaten here on a number of occasions and will always go back. I have also been to the cookery school. What a treat. Very informative

Pros: good cuisine, helpful staff, non smoking
VeganJenJen
VeganJenJen

Wonderful, especially for vegans

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2010

Really loved this place. I'm a vegan and my partner is veggie. The menu had plenty of vegan choices, including two desserts. I had chickpea fritters, nut roast, and cashew and coconut praline; all 3 courses were amazing. Really special food. The staff were lovely and the atmosphere was really nice. I would highly recommend this to anyone going to Bath, regardless of their diet.

Pros: amazing food, lovely staff, reasonable prices
super8J
super8J

Demuths

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2010

A lovely friendly restaurant with a nice atmosphere and quite a few vegan options. Delicious food and reasonably priced. Definitely recommend.

Pros: great food, reasonable price
Cons: could be more vegan options
lovintheveg
lovintheveg

Good veg food

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2010

My aunt and I ate here during out stay in Bath. I've been a vegetarian for over 14 years and she's leaning in that direction.

While the food was pricey (majority of veg restaurants/foods are), it was very good. I've yet to really meet a veg restaurant I did not like. I do enjoy my food!

We started out with thoughtful bread and the portion was rather large. I had a kind of Asian salad (I forget the name and I didn't see it listed on the website). I enjoyed a Whole Earth sparkling delicious cola and she had Frank still spring water. I would eat here again.

Pros: good food, nice location
Cons: pricey
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

excellent!

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

i had a super lunch at demuths while in bath. i had a plate with hummus, salad and a few other things i can't remember. but i do remember that it was yummy!

Lucylu
Lucylu

Yum, yum, yum......

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

I would totally recommend this teeny little restaurant. Despite the size, Demuths doesn't feel overcrowded; you don't feel like you are sitting to close to your neighbours!

The caramalised onion and rosemary bread was divine (my date stole half!). The stuffed courgette flowers and Upta main courses were both seriously yummy. I felt completely full, but being the glutten for chocolate cake that I am, decided to order away! Our lovely waitress advised me to go halves as it was huge and I was full! She was so right. It was totally gorgeous, but I wouldn't have been able to eat it all on my own (I would have given it a valiant try, I assure you!).

I would recommend going here if you are in the area. I actually travelled from Brighton (the vegan Mecca of the UK). It's not the cheapest place in the world, but we felt it was well worth it.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly/helpful staff, Delectable cake
Cons: A little small
hack_man
hack_man

Muth't Visit

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

An absolute must in Bath, this is highly creative and impressive vegetarian gourmet dining. A definite contender for one of the best vegetarian dining experiences I have had in the UK. The meals are unlike what you've had before with unexpected creations and ingredients. Yes, it's pricey and you MUST book ahead. We have been turned away here even on a night when it was lashing down with rain and we explained we came especially. How could they do this to us but they did. For this reason I give 4 cows instead of 5.

Pros: gourmet, wines, cosy
Cons: prices
  • Caryne Caryne

If a place is full then it is full whether it is raining or not! It seems a bit mean to mark a busy and popular place down because you forgot to book in advance.

Mr Jefferson
Mr Jefferson

Tasty

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2010

I have been to Demuths twice. Both times I left with a smile on my face and a cookbook in my hand (which I have to recommend more highly than the food as I've gotten greater pleasure from trying to recreate the dishes, especially the white choc cheesecake and jerk kebabs!).

Pros: Great food
Cons: Small
Stephamoose
Stephamoose

Completely wonderful!

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2010

I was in Bath for two days with my boyfriend last weekend and we popped into Demuth's on the basis that they had a vegan chocolate fudge cake on the menu. How could we resist that?! We were greeted by a friendly and accommodating waitress and led into the tiny restaurant, which is beautifully decorated and very cosy. We ordered the cake and I plumped for a vegan frappe while my boyfriend went for a vegan cider. When the cake arrived we were not disappointed. A huge slab of vegan chocolatey goodness, doused in fudge sauce and accompanied by a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream was placed in front of our wide, hungry eyes. It was completely amazing and I'm ashamed to say I couldn't even finish it!

We returned the next day for assam tea and more cake, which the waitress (another genuinely lovely and friendly one) managed to get us despite the menu having changed from lunchtime to evening and they weren't really supposed to do cakes and tea at that time.

I wish we could have stayed in the city longer, just to try out the extensive selection of vegan wines and some of that delicious (non-cake) food! Next time, for sure.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Large portions
Cons: Small
lucyday
lucyday

Demuths

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2010

Demuths has long been a family favourite, we have relocated to Oxford but came back to Demuths a few weeks ago and it was as good as ever... The options seemed a bit more modern which was refreshing. No moussaka, burgers or lasagna here!!!

mattf
mattf

Service leaves much to be desired

2 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2010

My wife and I popped into DeMuths on a recent visit to Bath for a cuppa and cake. Apparently we chose to arrive at a time between two menus, and one member of staff told us we could choose from either menu and the waitress who took our order was not reticent to show her displeasure when we tried to order from "the wrong one".

30 minutes later (and food being served to several diners who had arrived after us) our tea and cakes arrived. No complaints about the food, but the service was just awful.

I decided to give them another chance and book for a party of ten. The girl on the phone who took my call was unpleasant and unhelpful, interrupted me abruptly to serve a paying customer (fair enough, but be polite about it), and just confirmed that our previous experience wasn't a one-off.

Such a shame, as the options for veggies and vegans aren't bad.

Pros: Nice menu choice
Cons: Awful service
ali parr
ali parr

Disappointed

2 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2009

Found it to be over priced and sadly over rated, Very expensive starters/light Lunch, tiny portions and felt very let down, was expecting sensational taste bud tingling food, in fact found the food to be rather bland, and could mainly taste olive oil, Chocolate cake was ok served with a dollop..rather small dollop of what I presume was just swedish glace, had a glass of white wine,cold glass but the wine was not chilled, dis-interested waitress, husband did not want me to leave a tip saying we get better service when buying a tin of beans in the local co-op, service wasn't rude just nothing special, have eaten at better places with fairer prices that deserve more recognition , Demuths did not live up to the reputation I thought it had, went there hoping the prices would justify excellent experience it did not happen, would not bother going again and when we go back to Bath in October with friends will try some where else, real shame Demuths you have lost future custom and good word of mouth which is always valuable.would have rated zero but this system here gives 2 as lowest possible

Pros: could get a table, bright
Cons: pricey, small portions, nothing special
marnia
marnia

Gave it another chance

3 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2009

This is our second review, our first said we wouldnt go back butmy partner complained to demuths and we got a voucher, and tried to give it a second chance.
We enjoyed the food this time but couldn't see how it related to the cost, if we didn't have the voucher.
My Thali was nice, but not like any Thali I experienced in India, we know they can do authentic indian food as the ran a days cooking course in indain food that my partner attended and it was apparently fantastic.
It wasn't horrible, just could have been better.

Pros: tasty
Cons: over priced
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

many negative reviews, vegans avoid, go to the pub

2 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2009

We knew before going here that it wasn't going to turn out well when it was empty and they said it was full for the night so we made a reservation 2 days later. The service is horrible and they messed up both things we ordered. We basically paid 41 pounds to drink a beer and eat a shaved carrot. If you live in Bath sure try it out. If you eat cheese, then by all means, but if you're a healthy vegan looking for inventive food go to Porter Pub and you'll get very accommodating chef& server for a 4th of the price. There are also many other places that are vegan friendly in town such as the Japanese restaurant behind Porter Pub. In 100s of veg restaurants I've reviewed Demuths secured the 3rd slot from the bottom amongst all my reviews with only two others measuring worse! Charming space, though, we probably would have had been less negative had our waitress gotten any part of our order correct despite having her ask the chef... my girlfriend accidentally bit on a piece of cheese thinking it was tofu and was really bummed out. This is more a restaurant for meat eaters who think its fun to eat Veg out one night a month than anyone concerned with healthy vegan eating.

Note the many other negative reviews amongst the 5 start positive. 2 happycows is the lowest one can give, but this really deserves a 1.

Pros: cute locations
Cons: nothing vegan healthy, bad service, really bad service
cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Expensive, Dull

2 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2009

If you are vegetarian and stuck in Bath, then you will find yourself here at least once. Given the limited options in this tourist-trap, it's not bad, it is nothing to rave about however.

It is super expensive in relation to the small portion sizes. I decided we were holidaying and that I might as well go all out but I wished I had saved my pounds. The food was ok, and they had a very good apple chutney that came on the side, but the dishes themselves were plain. If the prices were half what they are, I would have said this place was great.

The service was incredibly slow, especially as the restaurant wasn't that busy and the dishes we ordered were simple. Even the soup took at least 20 minutes to come out.

We were so unimpressed we didn't even try the desserts.

I'm not sure what else to say, a nice place for a chat with a friend over a small, expensive lunch. If you're hungry, you'd do better at one of the pubs or another non-veg restaurant in Bath.

Cons: expensive, slow, plain
platyfrog
platyfrog

Pricey and stunning

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2009

I was taken to this restaurant as a late birthday present, and I was absolutely blown away by the selection and quality of my three course vegan meal. From the seriously divine rosemary flat bread starter, through to my Middle Eastern Mezze main, and on to my sticky toffee pudding with non-dairy ice cream... it was fabulous. I was almost in tears by the time I had to pick from a whole host of vegan sweet options!

My meal had lots of dill on it, which heretofore had always been a total no-no for me. I just have never been able to stomach dill... until now. Maybe they have a magic touch, or maybe my palate is expanding. Either way, serious props to the kitchen on that one!

I find it interesting that another reviewer said it was "too healthy" -- as my meal certainly tasted indulgent enough and from I could tell there was not one iota of nutrition in that scrumptious pudding (not that I minded; I didn't order sticky toffee pud and ice cream for my health!).

Still, it was quite pricey. I was and am delighted to have received the meal as a treat, and I think that IF I could afford to go there on my own budget, an if I lived in the area, I would make it a regular thing.

We sat upstairs and it was not crowded whatsoever. I also made my way downstairs through to the loos, and I didn't notice any cramped or crowded-looking tables. Perhaps they have reorganized and improved their seating..?

Pros: TASTE!, Vegan selection, Large portions
Cons: Price
dwc840
dwc840

absolutely fantastic

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2009

found demuths after being listed in "the top 10 vegetarian restaurants in britain" in the london times.
it definitely lived up to the hype. quite honestly, BRILLIANT! can't wait to go back to bath and eat again.
had the beetroot filo pastry. i hate beetroot, but not anymore. didn't think i could like beetroot but i guess i should reconsider everything now...

Pros: food, price, atmosphere
Shockingfish
Shockingfish

Good food

4 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2009

We went on a sunday afternoon and the service was slow. But the food was great. Would have to say that I would give it 3.5 but due to happy cows rating system am going for a 4.

Pros: great selection of vegan food, the vegan fudge cake
Cons: slow service
zoltan louis
zoltan louis

Top class food

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2009

I've visited DeMuths a couple of times now and I'm a huge fan. The food is tasty, has variety and shows invention. Plenty for us non dairy vegetarians to eat and desserts do not disappoint. My wife has bought two DeMuths recipe books since our last visit and now I'm about a stone and a half heavier than I should be. The best thing about DeMuths is the conbination of good food in a tasteful/ well presented setting - lots of veggie places serve nice food but are a bit rough and ready. There's nothing wrong with that but it is nice, for a change to enjoy and indulge and not have to rough it. DeMuths is a little expensive - but well worth a visit if in Bath.

Pros: Great Food, Great Setting, Puddings!!!!
juliej
juliej

An Amazing experience

5 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2008

My partner & I went for a trip to bristol & Bath. We ate here on the Saturday night. We booked a few weeks ahead as I seen on here it may be a little difficult to get a place, so I cant see how others couldnt have done the same. There is a website which tells you all the prices. We had the Christmas 3 course lunch each & a bottle of wine which came to £70.
The food was a taste explosion in every mouthful. It was nice that there was alot of thought put into it instead of just pasta & lasagne which you find in alot of veggie places. For starters we had 5 different types of beetroot with mascarpone goats cheese & pumpkin souffle with celeraic chips, gorgeous. For main the italian stack with goats cheese with savoury scones & The moorish meze with different squashes which melted in your mouth, flafel & salad. For dessert a delicious cheese cheese board and a german choc cake with coconut ice cream.
I would recommend this place & I am not sure why the reviews are so bad. It has already been recommended to book ahead. The staff were very friendly & helpful. The food was nothing like I had in a veggie place before. There has been real imagination & creativity put into it.

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, nice surrondings.
tinkerbell
tinkerbell

long wait

2 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2008

We tried to book a table the day before but we were unable to. After an hour wait ,we had to separate into 2 groups- my husband sat with 1 child,whilst I sat with the other. He had to sit downstairs;far from us;otherwise,we were told we may not get a table for ages. 6 mins after we had to sit on different tables- a group of 4 were given a table-they seemed very disorganised.They took an order for another group before us-despite them arriving much later. They forgot to even tell my husband there was a children's menu, so they had to order a more expensive meal for my 10 year old. The food wasn't special- as they reviews and website tell you. It was however expensive for waht it was. £7 for a dessert is more than we pay for in the centre of London. My soup was full of very large chunks of parsnip - not pleasant at all. The front door was left open whilst people trudged in and out through the tables with the delivery of veg, great in Nov; known for it's need of blast of freezing air over us and the food.The service wasn't great either.I won't be visiting here or recomending it at all.

Cons: not able to book, disorganised service, over priced
exeterphil
exeterphil

Expensive and indifferent service.

2 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2008

I visited Demuths for the first time in September 2008. As a lone diner I was shown to a small table in the basement opposite the kitchen and next to a door to the outside world through which staff seemed compelled to travel at frequent intervals. Other tables were available when I arrived and left.

The food was good. The ingredients were fresh and of very high quality. There were cooked well but the overall dining experience was far from 'special' and for what it was, far too expensive. My starter, main course and two glasses of wine was an eye watering 36 UK Pounds.

The staff were pleasant but appeared to be mostly casual employees. I have no problem with casual staff at all but for that sort of money I want linen table, planty of room and a good head waiter in evening dress.

I doubt I would visit again.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Good food
Cons: Too expensive, A little cramped
mcoles
mcoles

INVENTIVE

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2008

What a find - so much more than the usual vegetarian fare of pies, curries or bakes. We had the lunchtime special of 2 dishes for £10.50, sharing 4 between the 2 of us. The pea and mint fritters with beetroot tsatsiki were out of this world and the autumnal pate close on their heels. Couldn't have eaten another thing. As the ground floor was full we were taken downstairs near the kitchen, not cramped at all. Pleasant helpful staff and good service. What a shame we didn't have enough time in Bath to be able to return for an evening meal. Will be buying the recipe book.

Pros: Inventive food, Good value, Friendly staff
camerongreen
camerongreen

Great Food!

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2008

Demuth's is one of the best vegetarian restaurant's in England. It also is the sort of place you can have a special dinner, date etc.

I had an entree which was some sort of beetroot fritter. Was reasonably good, great colour :) It was my main that really blew me away. I can't remember the name and it's not on the menu anymore, but it involved layers of different ingredients, each one sumptuous, and all complimenting each other. Looked amazing, tasted amazing, made the visit.

So I will definitely be visiting again next time I am in Bath. Should be on any tourists list along with the Roman Bath's and the Abbey.

Pros: Great Food, Nice Setting, Centre of town
smartheidi
smartheidi

Gorgeous food, lovely atmosphere.

4 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2008

We went here one evening in November. It was fairly early, so pretty quiet. The food was stunning - we had pate to start, followed by a risotto, and then cheesecake. All were absolutely delicious and adequately sized portions. The staff were very friendly and accomodating, and the atmosphere relaxed. We thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely go back next time we're in the area.

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, intimate and relaxed atmosphere
Diane
Diane

Taking Advantage

3 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2007

When I visited Demuth's at the beginning of December with my mother the door was open and the board was outside but when we went in, we were told they weren't open yet and to come back in ten minutes. That wasn't particularly a problem, so we did. The waitress was pleasant, the decor tasteful, but the food was expensive for such small portions (£14.95 for a main course that would barely have filled a ramekin). The rest of the empty space on the plate was adorned with a swirl of sauce and five marble-sized pototo cubes.
What we had was delicious, but after a starter, main course and coffee we were not exactly full! We felt rather disappointed and won't be going back. The Metropolitan on New Bond Sreet (above Bloomsbury) was much better.

Pros: Pleasant ambience, Good food
Cons: Miniscule portions, Expensive
aclasse
aclasse

Just the place for a special meal

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2007

I couldn't afford to eat here every day but we went for dinner to celebrate an anniversary and had a great time. Everything I had was delicious (pate, salad and especially the black rice pud). Service was fine and where we sat (upstairs) was not over-crowded. Only carp was that there was a constant flow of hopefuls trooping in after closing time (despite "closed" sign) and having to be turned away - perhaps a barricade would help!

Pros: lots for vegans, inc. pud, food tastes ultra-fresh, well-presented
Cons: better book ahead, through traffic!
onejamie
onejamie

Excellent Lunch

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2007

We visited this place on a Thursday for Lunch in April 2007. The restaurant is pretty small, but we didn't feel cramped. The atmosphere was clean and comfortable, but not special. The service was friendly and swift, and the food was excellent - full of flavour and reasonable portions. They were fairly busy, and I noticed that at one stage people were turned away because there were no free tables - Book In Advance.

Pros: Excellent Flavours, Great Service
blondiecoco
blondiecoco

Guaranteed perfection!

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2007

I worked for Demuths for about 18 months and hated leaving, I wish i was still there. My best friend is the assistant manager and I am very good friends the the manager and all the staff. It is the best veggie food ever, and I can gurantee that the kitchen is always very clean and the vegetables are all organic and washed prior to being served. All staff take pride in their work and work extra hard to ensure that all customers have a good time!Tell the staff i sent you if you go again!(which you should)

Pros: staff!!!!, non smoking, no mobiles

Well worth the dosh

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2006

This place is great for veggies/vegans and the food is of a very high quality. Some people complain about the price and the waiting time. We are so used to cheap fast food that some people forget that sitting down and enjoying the whole evening and chatting inbetween courses is what it should be like. If half an hour is a long wait to get another portion of food then maybe you should visit a chip shop.

Pros: High quality, Top nosh, friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Demuths: