Serves meat, veg options available. Menu includes a section vegan and vegetarian section with around 8 main items. Mock chicken salad and sandwich, veggie rolls, barbecue tofu, and pasta. Each main entree is served with choice of two sides which include collard greens, candied yams, and other vegan sides. Has vegan desserts. Previously named Java, Juice and Jazz Creole at different location prior to Feb 2010. Previously located on Florida St. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Creole, Soul Food, Take-out, Non-veg
51 S Main St (Crump Blvd)
Memphis, Tennessee 38104

Doggiedoc
Doggiedoc

vegan soul food...yum !

Posted on 05 / 22 / 2014

I love soul food, and this place is legit. It's amazing to have a whole plate full of southern deliciousness without sacrificing my health or ethics.

curlygirl
curlygirl

Really liked

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2014

When you first pull up it you wonder is this the place... and it is a small place. But the food was soooo good. I got the veggie burger and LOVED it. My sister had quesadillas i tried and bite and they were wonderful too. The service was great. We really liked this place a lot. We were just passing through but it was so nice to find a nice place with options for us other then just salads.

Pros: Comfort Food, Good Service, Plenty of Options
Cons: Small place
rmcrter2
rmcrter2

Cafeteria food

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2014

Maybe this place was having an off night when we went…but the food was down right sad. I knew it was a bad sign when the waitress brought our food out 5 minutes after we ordered. Clearly nothing was made fresh and had just been sitting in the kitchen and scooped out onto our plates. I had a veggie plate as I wanted to try all of the vegan sides. Everything tasted like it had come out of a freezer bag and been defrosted. I was really disappointed. Even the corn bread was bone dry. My husband ordered the mock chicken salad sandwich and he said it was "blah". We won't be going back.

Pros: Cheap, Large vegan menu
Cons: Awful beer selection, Bland food

Soul2Soul Educare
Soul2Soul Educare

Good Food in Not So Good Area of Town”

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2013

GWhen you drive up to Deja Vu, it's a little unsettling. The section of town looks shady. The restaurant has bars on the windows. The building looks run down. Once you enter the doors though, it doesn't feel so bad. The place is small but they have a large menu. The service was very good and friendly. It did take them a long time to prepare the food. The food was pretty good. The walls are filled with pictures of celebrities with their head chef who have visited this hole in the wall place. If you like creole cuisine, you'll like this place.

Pros: Good Food, Vegan/Vegetarian Options
Cons: Bad Section of Town, Crowded
no whey!
no whey!

Southern Vegan Food!

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2012

Do not be deterred by the sketch facade, the food inside is incredible! They have an awesome creole/ soul food selection and an entire page of vegan offerings. I would have considered "vegan soulfood" an oxymoron before eating here. I've loved everything I've ordered here, 100%. It's not uncommon for the chef to come out when time allows and personally greet guests. This place is unique and delicious.

Pros: Low prices, HUGE menu, Variety
Cons: Limited seating
Brie651
Brie651

Fantastic!

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2012

The location of this place is a little off-putting at first, but once you walk inside you will feel at home. The staff was fabulous and the cook, Gary, came out immediately to say hello! It was my birthday that day and they made me feel welcomed. My family, excluding my dad, are Vegans and we all ordered something different on the menu. I ordered the Vegan quesadillas and they were delish! My Mother ordered the pasta and it was, by far, my favorite dish. There is, however, a bit of confusion on the menu as to what is VEGAN and what is VEGETARIAN, so be sure to specify and double-check that what you are getting is a VEGAN meal. We had a nice long talk with the cook who greeted us afterwards as well and he is just great. Overall, my family enjoyed our experience and would love to go back again!

Pros: Veg Options, Good Food, Great Atmosphere
Cons: Confusion of Vegan VS Vegetarian Food, Tiny Place
sierralsantschi
sierralsantschi

Delicious Vegan Soul Food

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2012

Deja Vu was amazing and well worth the trip. We got there early since online it says they open at 10, but it's actually 11. Either way we waited outside at a small table because I was determined to get vegan soul food. One of the servers came out and brought us menus and water, which to me was above and beyond. Once it reached about 11 the chef, Gary, came out to greet us and seat us. He is one of the most unique individuals you will ever meet. If you go to Deja Vu, he WILL talk to you and you should be grateful.
I ordered the BBQ tofu with plantains and okra. Best BBQ tofu I've ever had, and I've had my fair share. Our waitress was adorable and so bubbly along with the rest of the staff. And the dessert is phenomenal. I ordered the vegan carrot cake.
Chef Gary keeps a warm and welcoming atmosphere in the restaurant and provides a quality meal for all dining types. A trip to Memphis wouldn't be complete without a stop at Deja Vu.

Pros: Vegan, Excellent Staff, Excellent Food
jennamichelle1
jennamichelle1

Good food, make sure you tell them dairy free

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2010

Deja Vu was a fun little restaurant with a great atmosphere. We went during the day and felt very comfortable with the location. I know an earlier user wrote they didn't have air conditioning, but they had added it to the old location when we visited.

We sampled the quesadillas, a lot of the sides, the pasta, and the mock chicken salad sandwich. All of it was very delicious. A little heavy, except for the sides, so come hungry and ready to eat a big meal! The restaurant owner was friendly and talked with us for a long time about how he felt the flavor of the vegetables was lost when you added meat and dairy, which is why he has so many vegan/vegetarian options on his menu. He was very passionate about cooking and it showed in his food.

The only negative is that there was some confusion about what was vegan and what was vegetarian on the menu. The menu says vegan, but some of the vegan items are actually vegetarian. This is easily fixed by informing the waiter that you would like a non-dairy, vegan meal. They were very friendly and helpful. We would definitely visit again if we were in Memphis. The food was flavorful and filling.

Pros: food, wait staff, atmosphere
Cons: menu confusion
randomgirl
randomgirl

Great food - vegan friendly!

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2010

There is a full section of vegan options clearly labeled on the menu. Everything I ate was pretty amazing!

My main reason to review, however, is to make people aware of the VAST differences between the 2 locations, as I ate at both. The one of Florida is in a slightly sketchy area, and the restaurant is very small (maybe 8 tables), has no A/C, has *zero* atmosphere (plain car tables, pay at the counter). It's worth it for the food, and I would go there again, but some people may be put off by it. However, the other location on Ridgeway is the complete opposite... very large, nicely decorated, A/C, servers wearing professional clothing, etc. To sum it up, I would have no problem taking my elderly parents to the new location, but there is no way I would want to bring them to the original one!

But at either location, the staff is great and the food is not to be missed!

Pros: many vegan options
Cons: old location is not very nice
Emily Hipsh
Emily Hipsh

Great Food-New Location Coming Soon!

Posted on 04 / 03 / 2010

DeJa Vu is a great place. The location near downtown is fairly small and pretty much not in the best locations. Some people may be put off by this, but I'll go anywhere to get a good meal. DejaVu does not disapoint. They have a great menu and are super friendly. This is a great place to take your meat eating friends. My husband and I went with a meat eating couple. They even desided to sample a vegan dessert and loved it! I was too full to even sample one more bite! All of us ate our fill and then some! Great creole samplings and a pretty great veggie menu! I will defiantly go back. Call before you go because their hours are changing. They are also adding a second location near Hickory Hill in April '10.

Pros: lots of choices, yummy food, friendly
Cons: small , location

Dear Owner and Manager of Deja Vu: