De Vegetarische Snackbar

Veggie burgers, sandwiches, brunch food, cupcakes, and ice cream with many vegan choices as well. Located opposite to Hollands spoor station. Delivers. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, American, Dutch, Fast food, Take-out

Mon-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:30pm-9:00pm

First Review by Alynda
anonymuts
anonymuts

Vegan junkfood at its best

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2015

They have a lot to choose from. I have been vegetarian for so long that I don't even know what all these "things" (mock meats) are supposed to be like! Not every thing is vegan though, they have some things with normal cheese. But the bread and the garlic sauce are all vegan.

The one thing I have always missed since becoming veg is shoarma-meat, so I just HAD to try the vegan kapsalon, just because it is a vegan kapsalon. (for those who want to know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapsalon) It was big, nice and really spicy. YUM. The vegan cheese they use is good (I forgot to ask which one it was). A real junk food experience, which I do not get the opportunity to eat that often! I could have tried so much more, but I will come back some day, for sure.

Pros: Real snackbar atmosphere, A lot to choose from, Friendly staff
Cons: Maybe not so healthy, but hey!
yuvadm
yuvadm

Awesome vegan fast food!

Posted on 11 / 13 / 2014

This place is relatively new, but is very welcoming and has a huge variety of vegan options. They also make killer dutch fries (I asked for "french fries" and was refused politely). We tried the bacon-cheese-burger which was huge, filled with many vegetables as well, and tasted incredible.

The drinks are all organic/bio stuff, and they also own a huge stock of vegan ice creams in a dozen or more flavors.

The owner is a super friendly guy who apparently opened the place with an unemployment grant from the government. Sounds like it's going well for him!

Maksov
Maksov

My Go-to For Vegan Snacks!

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2014

I am their biggest fan :-) now seriously, they have loads of vegan options for snacks, and it's all very tasty. You should definitely try the vegan kapsalon! Also they have nice coffee. Only downside for me is the location. I don't like venturing in that side of the Hague, especially not in the evening.

Pros: Very Friendly Staff, Reasonable Prices, Their Kapsalon
Cons: Location

Jasmijn
Jasmijn

Best junk food in town

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2014

If you you'e craving junkfood, this is the place to be! My favorite is the Broodje Karma (pitabread with vegan shoarma, and vegan cheese if you like). I still need to try their Kibbuling (fried fish)... Oh and they also sell vegan icecream! Don't expect any healthy options though!

Pros: Good food!, Many vegan options
Cons: No healthy options
Dcf
Dcf

Tasty vegan junk food!

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

This place is definitely worth a visit just for the vegan kapsalon alone. While the dutch obviously love fried junk food, their obsession with majonaise makes most dishes very un-vegan. This place is a welcome remedy as they only serve completely vegan sauces.

Pros: Cheap, Vegan, Junk food
Cons: Junk food
food4ricky
food4ricky

The very first vegetarian snackbar

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2014

This is the first all vegetarian snackbar in the country, so I was really curious to what they were selling. My boyfriend - a vegan - ordered a 'Lupine burger'. He was really satisfied! I had a vegan cupcake and I must say that it was the best cupcake I ever ate.
The snackbar itself really looks like a typical snackbar, it could use some tlc.

Pros: great variety of choice, one of a kind
Cons: interior is a bit skimpy
Sarita
Sarita

Variety of vega(n) snacks

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

Good that there is a vegetarian snackbar for people who want vegetarian fastfood. I visited the snackbar a few times to taste different snacks, but was not very impressed by the broodje Karma and the Berenklauw. The vegan burger was better.

Pros: variety of snacks
Cons: not tasty, unfriendly, not cheap
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Tasty vegan fast food

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2014

I came here recently with my partner on a day trip to The Hague. We had the burger plates with vegan cheese, fries, and salads. We got the fries with vegan mayo, which was really tasty. The burger was quite delicious, though I thought the sauce was a little sweet (my partner disagreed). The man behind the counter was incredibly friendly and spoke English very well. We really enjoyed our visit and would definitely return.

Pros: good value, good burger, friendly staff
LaurieXB
LaurieXB

Great vegan fast food, very tasty

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

Picked up dinner here a couple of days ago; a vegan burger and vegan kapsalon. Yes, there now is a vegan version of this Dutch classic available! Wooohooo!

The staff were very helpful in pointing out what was vegan (vs vegetarian), and there was a separate sign with vegan items, even though I found the actual menu a little confusing.

The food itself was really tasty. It is fast food like burgers, fries, shwarma, etc, so don't expect anything too healthy.

What a great place!

Pros: Tasty food, Vegan / vegetarian classics, Friendly staff
acadiechick
acadiechick

I really, really wanted to love this spot..

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

...but our experience was left wanting. Maybe my friend and I caught the staff on an "off" day? We barely got acknowledged by the staff. The only time they perked up was when the owner walked in, who is quite a friendly guy. Aside from this, we waited an astonishing 25 minutes for our karma sandwich, and it wasn't even remotely busy. We even saw other people get served before us. The much-touted karma sandwich was OK. The huge hamburger-style bread was too much for our liking. I would recommend that they switch to a pita-style bread, as I think it would compliment the spicy karma pieces better. Otherwise, the flavour of the karma pieces get lost in the bread. Or perhaps give people the option to have a pita or the current hamburger-style bun?

Pros: Loads of vegan options, Close to the train station, Cute place
Cons: Service, Slow, Their signature sandwich needs tweaking
kuni
kuni

great fastfood

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2013

There aren't that many 'unhealthy' veg places, so when this typical Dutch snackbar opened we were curious to take a look :) The food is fantastic, most of it is vegan or can be made in a vegan version. There's also a good atmosphere with friendly staff.

Since it's right next to a big intercity station it's surely a good promotion for veg food and takes it out of the health corner.

In short: Go eat here if you crave some fat vegan fast-food sometimes, you won't regret!

Pros: great tasty food, friendly staff, location
Cons: can get crowded, not so cheap
liepy
liepy

Best fast food since ever

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2013

Maybe it's because I haven't been to many vegan restaurant just yet, but this is the best fast-food restaurant I paid a visit till so far!

Pros: mostly vegan
Cons: parking space
Maakun
Maakun

Fastfood heaven

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2013

When I heard there was a vegetarian snackbar opening, and they would a have a lot of vegan options I needed to go there as soon as possible :)

In the meantime I've been there a few times already. A lot of my non-vegan friends and co-workers always talk about how vegans eat so healthy. Well, now I can tell them I can eat fat fastfood just like them, hahaha.

I was really surprised how many of their options are vegan. A lot of meat substitutes sold in the Netherlands contain egg or milk, but De Vegetarische Snackbar tried to find some great ones that don't. They have fries, burgers, deep-fried snacks, sandwiches, icecream, cupcakes, organic lemonades and much more. Most of it vegan.

Yeah this is not a place you go to eat some super healthy food. It's amazing for what it is though, and reminds me a bit of some of the great places you can find in Berlin. They will be seeing me a lot here :) Very friendly owner and staff too.

Pros: Vegan fast food! YES!
Gudrun
Gudrun

Great place for a quick bite (and drink)

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2013

If you are up to a super-healthy, balanced organic meal with lots of fresh veggies: this is NOT the place to be. It is, as its name says, a snack bar, with fast food, a lot of which is deep-fried. But if you are after a delicious quick bite and you are ok with a "sin" once in a while, this place is just great. It is all-vegetarian and has quite a lot of options, among which many vegan ones. And as far as I know this is the only place in Holland serving French fries with vegan mayonnaise. A specialty, already mentioned here, is "Broodje Karma", a vegan shawarma version. And there are various burgers (yes, also the famous "Dutch weedburger" will soon be available here), sandwiches with vegan cheese, "hot chicken" or tofu sausage, soya smoothies, vegan cupcakes, vegan ice cream and many other things. And yes, also some healthy organic drinks!

The staff is very friendly and helpful.
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 11, 2013

Pros: Nice variety, also for vegans, Cheap, Friendly + enthusiastic staff
Cons: Could use a few more fresh veggies
Alynda
Alynda

Great addition to the city

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2013

It's great to have a place like this in my own hometown. They not only serve fries with vegan mayonise & peanut sauce, but they also have a variety of vegan snacks, burgers, fish analogues and of course the 'broodje karma' - a vegan version of shawarma. Also vegan cupcakes, cakes and other desserts. Enthousiastic owner and great atmosphere.

Pros: very vegan friendly, extensive menu

Dear Owner and Manager of De Vegetarische Snackbar: