English spoken and on the menu. Over 60 Chinese dishes. Directions: Trains to Lombardijen in Southern Rotterdam take 10 mins from Centraal stopping on the way at Blaak. From Lombardijen station take the Western exit and walk approx 300m along the main road. Turn 1st left over the canal and then 1st left again into Pliniusstraat. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out
Pliniusstraat 18, Lombardijen (10 minute walk from Lombardijen train station, South Holland)
Rotterdam, Netherlands
+31-010-4327420

Open daily 16:00-22:00.

• Cash only

First Review by Annelies

At last Babi Pangang again!

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2014

This is a great tip and worth the travel, because it is quite far from the city centre of Rotterdam. Clean, friendly and a lot to choose for vegans, including dishes with a lot of vegetables. They told us everything without egg in it is vegan, they have just a few dishes with egg like Fu yong hai and Nasi with egg (but they also have nasi without egg!). We ordered Babi Pangang with vegan nasi and a dish with saté and a lot of vegetables with bami (always vegan) as a side dish we ordered the saté with peanutsause. While the saté with vegetables tasted very baked the one with peanutsause not, we prefer the first one and also the sauce wasnot that great. The other dishes were suberb and we highly recommend a visit to De Oude Plek. The chinees beer and the aloe vera drink were yummie. As desert we choose for the cocos ice of course; a sorbet and ice with ginger. Both very good and we were glad not that big because we didnot have space for it. All together it was 51,20 euro's. Next time we try something else.

Pros: healthy friendly delicious vegan
Cons: saté with peanutsause

Variety of Chinese dishes

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

Tried out quiet some dishes. Some I like a lot, some less. There is always enought to choose from. Maybe some (more) vegetables with the dishes.

Pros: Vegetarian, Close to Ahoy, Variety of dishes
Cons: More vegetables

De Oude Plek

5 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

This restaurant is very vegan friendly, except for a few dishes, all the food is vegan. Service is great and friendly.

Besides the regular evenings, De Oude Plek facilitates quite a lot of charity dinners. Most of them to help improve animal welfare.

I've went to this restaurant quite often and the quality is always consistent.

Pros: Good food, Friendly service

Go East

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2014

Without any doubt this is the best Chinese vegetarian restaurant I have ever had the privilege of eating in. It's a little bit out of the city centre, but you can get the Dordrecht bound train from Blaak getting off at Lombardijen which only takes a few minutes. You may have to Google Street View or GPS to find it but it's definitely worth the effort. The food here is everything you could expect from a Chinese restaurant but all vegetarian. Scary how what we were eating was not actually meat but succulent and delicious mock meats in wonderful authentic sauces. The welcome and presentation were simply awesome, the atmosphere special and the price very favourable. We went for a banquet consisting of soup to start, spring rolls and battered vegetables followed by a selection of main courses served with rice and noodles. The 'pork'. 'beef' and 'chicken' dishes were just sublime. These guys are the kings of meat free Chinese dining from all of my extensive European travels. The only place to come close is Soy, funnily enough also in The Netherlands in beautiful Utrecht.

Pros: delicious food, friendly, fair prices
Cons: not easy to find

De Oude Plek

4 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2013

I'm not particularly a fan of Chinese food, but I visited this place with family who do. The menu offered a wide variety of choice, although most dishes included meat-substitutes (fake meats). Still, for a vegan who doesn't eat fake meats there's plenty of options left. The staff was very friendly.

De Oude Plek, Rotterdam

4 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2013

I've been here a few times, and every time it's been a lovely experience. On the 3rd Saturday of the month, they have an all-you-can-eat buffet (reservations required), which is ideal if you want to sample different dishes. I've been here with several omni family members and they were all pleasantly surprised. Though it's outside the city centre, it can be easily reached by public transport. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

Note: you can buy some of the ingredients they use frozen to use at home. I bought a package of the faux chicken pieces they use and noticed that, while lactose free, they do contain milk protein and are therefore not vegan.

Pros: extensive menu, good value, friendly staff
Cons: location, some vegan dishes may not be truly vegan

Delicious!

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2012

This restaurant was lovely. The place was clean, the service was friendly and the food was delicious! We had the veggie satays and the pineapple chicken which were very tasty. I would return to this place any time. :)

Legendary!!

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2009

"De Oude Plek" is truly a legedary place in Dutch vegan terms! I've heard about it for years and it sounded like a myth; a vegetarian Chinese restaurant outside of the city-centre of Rotterdam with tons of vegan options.

I wanted to go there for ages but I never had the time... untill last weekend! And everything they said about this restaurant is true, even better!

It's a small Chinese restaurant like any other Chinese restaurant. The staff friendly welcomes you, brings you to your seat and give you the menu. You open the menu and than it hits you in the face: all these options... where to start? What to choose? Vegan chicken, babi-pangang and squid?!? Holy molar...

It took me 20 minutes to decide what I wanted and I really enjoyed my meal. Nasi with sateh and fried vegetables with chicken, squid and sausages. I wasn't a big fan of the squid (it was okay but kinda spungy...) but that's the only tiny con about the meal.
And I guess you can pick whatever from the menu, it all seemed really good.
The staff is really friendly, they're doing this with passion.

Funny (or akward...) to mention: it's next to a helal-butcher with gigantic letters: VLEES EN KIP (meat and chicken).

Pros: all the options!, great staff, not too pricy
Cons: quite far from the centre

Babi Pangang - yippee :)

5 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2009

My husband loves babi pangang and this was the one meal he would miss as he went vegetarian... until now... we found this resaurant and loved it... we've even been back a few times with family and they can't believe it's vegetarian - they are totally fooled by the texture of the meat substitute and my family said convincinly - "maybe we COULD GO vegetarian, too!" We even get take-out the same night we go b/c it's that good we have to have more the next day. It's a drive for us to go there as we live in Eindhoven... but it's well worth it :)

Pros: yummy food, good prices, yummy food

Oh yummy - i'm in heaven :)

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2009

I wanted something special for my one year anniversary of going vegetarian - it also happened to coincide with our wedding anniversary - we chose this restaurant and we were not disappointed at all... we were only disappointed that we didn't order any take-out to take home and enjoy it again. It was so delicious! My husband ordered his favorite thing he always gets or use to get at chinese/indonesian restaurants and that is Babi pangang - and that is what he ordered here and it was exceptionally good - and so we don't have to worry about that - we also plan to go again to take our omnivore family - so we can try and switch them over to our side :) They also had a choice of vegan desserts - i had regular ice cream that night - but next time i'll try and go vegan

Pros: excellent food, location, healthy cuisine

De Oude Plek, Rotterdam

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2007

This place is a good spot. It's outside the city centre but easy enough to reach with a 10 min train journey from Centraal or Blaak. Plenty to choose from and an English speaking waitress who was more than happy to explain to me what I could have as a vegan veggie. Very tasty food. Recommended. A shame it's not open for lunch.

Pros: Vegan veggie friendly, Tasty food, Helpful staff
Cons: Not the most central, Closed lunch times

Very nice!

5 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2007

Vegetarian Chinese food. Tasty, staff is very friendly. It is indeed out of the city centre, about a ten minutes walk from train station 'Lombardijen'. Its worth it!

Pros: Excellent food, Nice staff, A lot of dishes
Cons: That there isn't, a place like this, in my town

Dear Owner and Manager of De Oude Plek: