Serves meat, veg options available. Primarily a vegetarian restaurant but does serve fish. Monthly cooking lessons. A small garden terrace for seating in the back of the restaurant in the summer. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Macrobiotic, Organic, Western, Non-veg

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Ruby X

My favorite

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

De Levensboom is my favorite restaurant to go to. There aren't that many veg options in Belgian Limburg so I'm really glad we have one like De Levensboom. Like the other reviewers said, this is not a vegetarian restaurant, they do serve fish. However, the quality of your vegetarian or vegan food will nevertheless be exquisite.
I almost always opt for the daily menu because these dishes are creative and full of different tastes that compliment each other. These are dishes like seitan stew accompanied by rostis and fresh vegetables, a quinoa burger with fresh veggies and a little raw salad, ... You can not go wrong with the daily menu.
The standard menu has a lot of great pastas (indeed, Pasta De Levensboom is heavenly and so is the pasta pesto) and the appetizers are lovely. As a first course I usually opt for the sesame pancake. This is a pancake filled with fresh vegetables and an amazing sauce that varies. You have to try this!
There is a great calming atmosphere in De Levensboom, because it is a wonderfull building and beautifully decorated. I've never seen such a friendly staff anywhere else, they will help you with anything you ask or prefer.
Highly recommended!

Pros: Amazing food, Vegan options, Friendly staff
Niels Van Och
Niels Van Och

The place for veggies in Hasselt

Posted on 10 / 20 / 2009

An awesome restaurant, and one that has saved me many times when eating out in Hasselt. The menu is half macrobiotic, half vegetarian, and all of it is organic. Note that in the following I will only be talking about the vegetarian part, as I've never tried anything else.

The food is just great. The dishes a la carte are all excellent and the daily menus are always interesting and tasty. The menu mainly consists of pasta dishes and salads, with some extras like falafel. The daily dishes vary a bit more.
There is also a wide selection of drinks, ranging from fruit juices to bio-beers. The pre-dinner drinks are especially great.
The dessert selection is also quite good, and varies from day to day.

The prices are average: not especially cheap, but not expensive for the quality you are getting.

The staff is lovely: my girlfriend and I have followed a few cooking classes there, and they are just great people!

When you are in Hasselt, definately check this out! If you're a vegetarian, it's the only place to go, and it's good enough to convert non-veggies. I agree with the above poster: this deserves five cows!

Pros: excellent food, great service, great drinks
Ruby X
Ruby X

My favorite restaurant in Hasselt

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2009

As far as I know, this is the only vegetarian restaurant in Hasselt. They do have some meals with fish, but call themselves vegetarian.

I've been here many times and I've never eaten anything less than excellent. Although I must admit, I do opt for the Pasta Levensboom quite often. Because it is just so damn yummy! I've taken some non-veggie friends here as well and they all loved it.

The staff is also absolutely lovely, enthousiastic and helpful. They are possibly the nicest people I know.

The little garden terrace in the back is quite charming and there are usually some cats to keep you company. A minor setback might be the noise of trains passing by, but it has never bothered me.

So, if you ever visit Hasselt, be sure to try the Levensboom. I'd give it 5 cows, but the site wont let me...

Pros: very yummy food, nicest staff ever, charming little garden terrace
Cons: train noise on the terrace

Dear Owner and Manager of De Levensboom: