De Frietketel

Serves meat, veg options available. Belgian fries shop, has veggieburgers and snack foods. Ask if uses a separate fryer for veggie foods. Closed weekends. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Belgium, Western, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by XspeedyX
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Amazing vegan fast food!

4 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2014

I came here this week with a group of friends and was blown away by the range of vegan options available here, all clearly marked on the menu. I went for a vegan burger with tropical sauce and pineapple (the Crispy-Hawaii), although it took me a long time to choose with so many delicious-sounding options available, especially the hazelnut burger. My friends also had a number of different vegan and vegetarian options, and everyone really enjoyed it. The chip portion sizes were huge, so we ended up sharing one small portion of chips between two people. I would definitely come here again for another fast food vegan burger!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Friendly, helpful staff, Tasty food
Cons: Not 100% veg
Petesternz
Petesternz

Well worth your time

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

I like this place very very much. First and foremost, though the menu is entirely Dutch, they were one of the few places in Ghent that clearly identified all of their vegan options. You can actually find vegetarian "frites" places all over the city, and it is easy to find veggie burgers, but very few of these are vegan, and it iis only this restaurant that clearly identifies these with a star on the menu, which made purchases easier. I also loved that for all the vegan burgers (which were good, though hardly the "best" ever as a previous reviewer said - all veggie burgers in Belgium are commercially frozen burgers sold en masse, and tasty, though hardly "amazing") they come with special vegan tartare sauce (delicious) and on turkish pide bread. Yum! The fries were very good, though not the best I had in Belgium, and for god's sake, order the small. The portions are incredibly generous. A small here is the equivalent of an extra large elsewhere. Very reasonable pricing for what you get, which explains why there is often a line. I would definitely run back here. Get the Hawaii Burger, which, as you'd imagine, comes with grilled pineapple.

Pros: Great value, Menu clearly identified
  • Petesternz Petesternz

Please keep in mind that Happy Cow limits Vegetarian friendly restaurants to four cows - a policy I disagree with. Otherwise, I and the other reviewers would undoubtedly have given this deserving spot five.

Gobbledock
Gobbledock

Best vegan burgers ever!!

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2012

If you want cheap, tasty vege/ vegan fastfood then De Frietketel is your place! Although this places serves meat, the vege menu is much larger than the meaty one. There are around 20 different vege burgers/ snacks. So far I've tried only two burgers, and they were both really delicious, and the fries were great too (also a very generous portion!) Also, the vegan items are marked by an asterisk.

All in all I've tried a lot of vegan junk food and burgers, and I can say these burgers are the best/ most authentic I've tasted. Don't go to Frietketel however if you like 'healthy' tasting vege burgers. I think everything here is deep fried :)

Pros: YUM, CHEAP, Large vege menu
Cons: Not open on weekends
hippublican
hippublican

Perfect take-out!

4 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2011

Normally when I travel to new and exciting cities, I don't like to eat at omni restaurants if there are veggie restaurants available. I made an exception for De Frietketel, however, and I'm glad I did.
The veggie options greatly outnumber the meat options. We ordered 3 burgers, a mountain of fries, and some meatballs. This was the perfect kind of food to take back to our comfy hotel room and eat in our pajamas.
The burgers were amazing. I loved the vegan tartar sauce. The fries were wonderful as well, and there were a TON of them. The only thing I wasn't wild about were the meatballs. They come with 2 different sauces and I chose stew sauce. Perhaps ketchup sauce would have been better.
I'll certainly miss this place now that I'm back home!

RachelLouise
RachelLouise

Huge selection of veggie burgers!

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2008

The Frietketel is a great place to go for veggie burgers and fries. The portions of fries are all huge. They have a large selection of veggie burgers, although not all of them are vegan. Ask the staff which are vegan. My favorite is the Crispy Hawaii burger (ask for vegan sauce since the cocktail sauce isn't vegan). Most vegan burgers come with vegan tartar sauce. They make vegan burgers on special vegan bread, so make sure to tell them if you're vegan. They also have some non-burger items, like soyanuggets and stoofvlees (Belgian "beef" stew). I believe all the staff speak English, and they are very friendly. It can get very busy at times, so be prepared to wait.

Pros: Veggie Burgers, Fries , Great service
Cons: Sometimes crowded

Dear Owner and Manager of De Frietketel: