Serves meat, veg options available. Organic eatery with lots of veg options, vegans please inquire. Located close to the beach opposite White Church at Andreasplein. Closed Sun-Tue. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, International, Dutch, Non-veg

Wed 10:30am-6:00pm, Thu-Sat 10:30am-10:00pm

First Review by Gudrun
RODI_ON
RODI_ON

Very nice and informal place to eat and drink

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2014

I was very suprise to find an eetcafe (bistro) in a place like Katwijk aan Zee. Organic and vegetarian food are not very well appreciated by the locals in this fishing village.

De Bonte Kraai has a lovely informal atmosphere and super friendly owners. The food is great. As De Bonte Kraai is an eetcafe, you can also just have a tea, a coffee, a juice or a beer. The beer I can recommend is Gerardus Dubbel.

This place doesn't have a fixed menu: the just make some good yummie dishes from the organic ingredients they can get on that day. This means there are not many vegetarian dishes you can choose from, but in my case (I like almost anything as long as the quality is good) that is not a problem at all!

We had to make a detour to get to this place (we could find a vegetarian restaurant in Leiden) and we are happy that we drove all the way to De Bonte Kraai. We would do it again.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 02, 2014

Updated from previous review on Sunday February 02, 2014

Pros: Atmosphere, Creativity, Good place to eat and drink
Gudrun
Gudrun

Yummy organic food in Katwijk

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2013

After we saw this place mentioned in the Dutch Vegan Society's newsletter, two of my my friends and I decided to check it out. We reserved a table and mentioned we were vegans. When we arrived the cook came to offer us three different vegan dishes: a mild curry, a Mexican dish with a local twist and a pasta dish. We were a bit surprised that we had a choice - which is not really common in The Netherlands, especially not outside of the big cities.

We all went for the "Mexican" dish. It took some time until it was served because it was made from scratch - and with fresh (and organic) ingredients. The waiting time was worth it. The food was delicious! The combination of red beans with mock "chicken" from the "vegetarian Butcher" in the Hague and typical local ingredients like Brussels sprouts was interesting and surprisingly good. We had tasty soy ice cream with some sort of syrup and fresh grapes as a desert, and soy cappuccino after. We did not ask for a starter but I believe it would not have been a problem if we had asked for it. The owners were extremely friendly and really wanted to know if we liked the food. They understand the concept of veganism and will try to add vegan options, like vegan cake, to their standard offers (their cakes look really yummy!).

At this point in time vegans need to call ahead, since the demand for vegan food is not (yet) that big in this place.

When we were here - on a cold and rainy Saturday evening - it was quite crowded and I believe everybody except for us were locals. The interior is cozy, many nice little details with local flair. Occasionally there is life music.

We really loved this place and will certainly come back.

Pros: yummy food, nice people, organic, local, seasonal, creative

Dear Owner and Manager of De Bonte Kraai: