David Bann Restaurant

Serves meals with influence from around the world. Menu includes vegetarian haggis and Jerusalem artichoke bake. Modern, stylish restaurant with deep aubergine walls accented in silver and dark, minimalist seating send a strictly "nouvelle" message. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, International, Beer/Wine
56-58 St. Mary Street (Royal Mile & Cowgate)
Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 1SX
0131-5565888

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Stevie
Webchem
Webchem

High End Veg Dining

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2014

This place is proof that vegetarian restaurants are hitting the mainstream. This is a very good restaurant, period, not just a very good vegetarian restaurant. The service, presentation, and atmosphere were top notch. We got in without a reservation, but I would recommend you get one, because it was packed well into the evening.

Pros: Haute Cuisine, Service, Presentation
Cons: Cost, Popularity
Veganswife
Veganswife

Classy but expensive

4 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2014

We are a vegan and a vegetarian and were visiting Edinburgh for the festival. This restaurant is centrally located and classy in its atmosphere. Filly vegetarian with many vegan options. The service was inviting and the menu quite exciting with plenty of vegan options. Wine and non alcoholics service. We did, however, find it quite expensive.

Pros: Fully vegetarian, Location, Effort to provide range of choices
Cons: Price
MinaMurray
MinaMurray

lovely veggie restaurant

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2014

We were in Edinburgh for the Fringe and found the restaurant through HappyCow, but it's also highly recommended by many guidebooks. Went there once, went back again a day later!! Fast and friendly service, quick food- important when you have Fringe or Tattoo tickets- and splendid food. Try the chips or hummus for starters, absolutely fabulous!

DIN8
DIN8

My favourite place in Edinburgh

5 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2014

I cannot stay in Edinburgh without eating at David Bann. I have been there quite a few times in the past years and have never been disappointed.

From my point of view, the vegan options are absolute sufficient with more than half of the starters and mains on the menu being vegan or vegan on request. Only the dessert choices are a bit limited but I don't care for desserts anyway.

Last time (this June) I had the Thai fritter of broccoli and marinated tofu as a starter and the stir fried vegetables with Udon noodles and smoked tofu as main. Both were as delicious as expected.

Pros: extraordinary food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff
Tiggy
Tiggy

Food OK but not quite up to the image

3 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2014

Despite a bit of ambivalence about the menu and the prices as we checked it out in advance on line, my friend and I decided to throw caution to the wind and book a table here. We turned up early and were seated immediately in the window, allowing us a little more light than we would have otherwise had in the dimly lit dining area. I had decided earlier to order the bean and cashew pie, but realised I also needed some tofu and so also chose the Thai fritter as a starter. I had been concerned about the fruity, sweet sauce accompanying this, as I'm not a big fan of sweet elements in mains, but when I discovered how (overly) salty the fritters were I wondered if this was intended to balance/counteract it. My friend had ordered the tomato and lentil soup, which I tried and it was a nice hearty soup but nothing out of the ordinary. The pie was a little bit squishy with it's shell of potato mash, but the bean filling was not too overwhelmingly 'beany'. (The menu appears not to have changed in years, so you can check the ingredients in detail on the website.) My friend's stirfry with udon noodles tasted something like I'd expect a Thai dish to taste (I sampled one small bite) but not hugely tasty and my friend reported it was salty. We shared the vegan chocolate ice cream for dessert and I found this delicious but the scoops were set on little sugary wafer bases, which were a bit overly sweet. There were only about two mains that appealed to me on the menu and I tried them both tonight. I wouldn't make a point of coming here given the prices (mains around £11) although the service was friendly.

Pros: Attempt at fine dining/creative cuisine
Cons: On the expensive side, Quality not as high as image indicates
_norvegan
_norvegan

Definitely going back!

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2014

Very nice restaurant, a place you'd take omnivore friends who are convinced your lifestyle is only for hippies ;-) Great atmosphere, great food, vegan options and options that can be made vegan are clearly marked and service is good. Our taxi driver casually mentioned this restaurant as we drove past it, described it as "A nice vegetarian restaurant, I've been there once with my family", and he didn't even know that we were vegan/vegetarian - so that's a good sign I gues! Definitely going back next time we're in Edinburgh.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Good atmosphere
Cons: Needs more vegan desserts!
Stephenveg
Stephenveg

Lovely restaurant

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

Really love this restaurant and the service, some of the food combinations are a bit odd, but there were good vegan options, and the marinated tofu is really good

christopherjboyce
christopherjboyce

I was really impressed

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

I've lived in Edinburgh for some time and hadn't got round to trying this restaurant until now. I had been a bit skeptical that they might not adequately cater for vegans, but I was pleasantly surprised. There were were a good number of vegan options that sounded good, and the food that I did have was really tasty too. I'd definitely recommend to someone who wanted to make a nice meal out in the evening in a pleasant atmosphere. Reasonably priced for what you get.

Pros: Good vegan options, Good quality food
Mimmi_t
Mimmi_t

I just love it!

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2014

Fantastic food, good athmosphere, good service. A chic restaurant but still very good prices! Perfect for a date och just to hang out with friends who enjoy vegeterian fine dining.
The owner is very helpful and helped me to send giftcards for a friend in sweden.
Just perfect: I loved Everything!

Pros: Food, Athmosphere, Prices
craigmc
craigmc

quality food

5 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2014

like many veggie restaurants bann's cuisine is a menu of geographical areas. in the past i have been to many establishments of a similar nature and have found them to offer lots of choice, but never master any cuisine and are disappointing. here is where banns differ. not only is there a good variety, but the food is very high end for vegetarian food. Staff are attentive and if you mention your eating preference, they are generally very aware of your requirements.
a goo quality setting, i have taken many people of varying needs, and no one has been unhappy. good wine selection. my only issue is the lack of change to the menu, living in edinburgh i feel it doesn't change enough.

Pros: food, staff, feels upmarket
Edinburghvegan
Edinburghvegan

Nice Atmosphere, Great Food

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

It makes a nice change to go to a "posh" veggie restaraunt with a nice interior and well presented plates. There aren't enough vegan options and it is a bit pricey, but worth it for a special occasion. The food is really great, service is friendly and efficient, but you don't feel rushed. I took my very much non-veggie dad here for dinner, and he loved it!

Pros: Great Food, Nice Atmosphere, Friendly Service
Cons: Bit Pricey, Not Enough Vegan Choices
JonJon
JonJon

Fine veg' cuisine

4 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2013

David Bann Restaurant is a very nice place to eat vegan or vegetarian in Edinburgh. Even if it could be a little expensive and they could offer more vegan choices, I enjoyed my vegan three course meal. Every dish offered interesting flavours and was really yummy. They also served me water perfumed with fruits such as strawberry. The atmosphere of the restaurant is pleasant with this simple style and the presence of wood from bottom to top.
Try it if you have time and want a pleasant dinner with friends.

Pros: fine cuisine, vegan(izable) choices including desserts, nice atmosphere
Cons: could have more vegan choices
Helster91
Helster91

Posh, fast, pricey

3 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

I enjoyed my visit here: it was very classy and good for a special occasion. However, I was a tad disappointed at the limited choice for vegans and it was pricey for the food.
They quality of food was good, but it wasn't the best I had, especially when considering the price. However, it the service was very very quick and the atmosphere was good.

Pros: Classy, Fast, Fully Vegetarian
Cons: Limited vegan choice, Pricey
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Where uppity/posh veggies complain about vegans

2 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2013

If you want to go somewhere and listen to a bunch of annoying, posh vegetarians talk about how much they hate vegans, this is a great place for you.

Otherwise, I'd go somewhere else.

The only vegan dessert: scoops of chocolate ice cream.
The amount of vegan entrees: 1. Others can be "made vegan."

I've eaten more food, better food, and cheaper food elsewhere.

You should do that, too.

Pros: All-veg
shanery
shanery

disappointing

3 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

If you're visiting Edinburgh this restaurant offers a very pleasant, classy experience.

If you're a vegan and live in Edinburgh it's disappointing - it becomes old quite quickly. The last time I was in, just over a week ago, there was only one set vegan option on the main course. There was a dish that had egg and cheese that could be "made vegan". When I asked about this, it turned out that making it vegan simply involved taking out the egg and cheese, without apparently adding any alternatives.

Most restaurants in Edinburgh offer vegetarian options, few offer set vegan options. It's a pity when a vegetarian restaurant can't do a better job of catering to vegans.

Pros: Ambiance - esp. in evening, The food is pretty good
Cons: Few good options for vegans
compassionatecook
compassionatecook

A very good, solid experience

4 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2012

David Bann is a vegetarian restaurant that has some vegan options, but I would have liked to see more vegan options and the menu marked better. There are lots of items on the menu that indicate they can be veganized, but not everything that can be is marked. When I said after a second visit that it would have been nice if the risotto could have been vegan, the server said it could have been. But, it wasn't marked on the menu as being vegan-izable! We went for dinner on our first visit, and the server was very new, and it showed, but the food was good. We didn't have dessert because I think their only vegan option was sorbet - not exactly ideal for a rainy day in Edinburgh. Why - oh why - are vegetarian restaurants clueless about vegan baking?? Nothing blew me out of the water, but it was a very good, solid experience. Nice ambience, the service and number of vegan options could improve, but overall, it was a good experience.

Pros: nice ambiance, good food
Cons: needs more vegan options, menu could be marked better, vegan desserts could improve
JudyOwens
JudyOwens

Gourmet veg at decent price

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2012

Foodie delight! Gorgeous atmosphere, slightly formal. Unlike some veg restaurants, we found no pretense or apology, no "meatless BBQ" or "To-furky" here. Instead we received hearty vegetable dishes that delighted the palate and tummy. The flavors were well balanced, meal was filling, overall quite yummy. Definitely a good value for the price.

Pros: Excellent food, Warm, welcoming, Very responsive service
veggieday
veggieday

Wonerful

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2012

We nearly didn't revisit this restaurant after reading reviews about the price and paucity of food (the latter wouldn't suit my teenage daughter!). However, having thoroughly enjoyed a meal here a few years ago, we decided to risk it. We stayed in Edinburgh for 4 nights and didn't eat here until our last night. It was by far the best meal we had (all were at vegetarian restaurants). I really don't understand comments about it being pricey. No it's not cheap but we eat out regularly, as we travel a lot, and in comparison to other places and taking into account the quality of the food, I think it is very reasonably priced. As to quantity, my daughter couldn't manage a pudding which is unheard of! I cannot believe anyone with a normal, healthy appetite could find the portions small. The food was imaginative, with lots of choice (very difficult to decide what we should have), well presented and absolutely delicious. The staff were exceedingly friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Our only regret is that we hadn't eaten here on our first night in Edinburgh so that we could have returned on the other 3 nights and tried many more dishes from the menu!

Pros: Imaginative menu, very tasty food, excellent staff
Cons: Busy so may need to book
kasia
kasia

Beautiful

5 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

The place is very posh and elegant, the service excellent. Food - well presented. Not many vegan options but the ones vailable are superb, in particular jasmine rice with tofu which I could eat every day and I will probably never find out how to make it! They also have great tofu chocolate icecreams.

Pros: elegant, great food
Cons: not enough vegan options
Tara HD
Tara HD

Very good upscale restaurant

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

David Bann certainly isn't one of those alternative veggie places where you get a mediocre meal for a few bucks. Instead, it's an upscale restaurant with inventive food, obviously cooked by professionals, and nicely arranged on your plate.

It was my first evening in Scotland and, like one reviewer before me, I found that the food could do with more seasoning. Later I was no longer surprised about this because I found that the Scots use far less salt (at least in their vegetarian dishes) in general than we do in Germany. Apart from this, I really liked the taste of the food and also the atmosphere. Service was very nice as well.

Pros: excellent food, friendly service, elegant but comfortable
Cons: upscale prices
Janeycat
Janeycat

More vegan choices please!

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

Really tasty food and plenty of it! Just my usual bugbear of not having more vegan choices.... Especially, as the reviewer before me said, in the desserts. There are so many exciting things they could make. Why don't they bite the bullet and go that extra mile?

There are also a lot more vegan wines available than they have on their list. It just seems a shame that they don't stock them. More choice is all I'm asking for.

The tastiness of the dishes we had was out of this world. I can't fault them on that. The service was also swift, friendly and knowledgeable.

I have been going here ever since they first opened about 20 years ago, up in Tron Square, and will continue to do so as the food is so tasty :)

Pros: Tasty
Cons: Not enough vegan choices
OneNightStanzas
OneNightStanzas

More vegan desserts please? But I still love you.

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

As a (newish) vegan who goes here A LOT, I can tell you: DAVID BANN'S IS HEAVEN.

Firstly, the service. In my experience the wait-staff are super awesome -- obviously there's some rigorous staff training because they all have *impeccable* manners. It's above and beyond, really great. I mean, they always make sure you have a replenished water jug on the table, you're never sat for too long with empty plates cluttered in front of you, and if you have questions about what's vegan, what contains nuts or anything else dietary, they *never* have to say 'oh wait, let me check' -- they are extremely knowledgeable about every single dish, all the wines... I genuinely have no idea how anyone can fault the service.

For vegans the choice is AMAZING. Seriously -- it's not just pasta with olive oil or a baked potato like we're used to. There are actually starters and desserts that vegans can eat! And wines that vegans can drink! The dishes are all creative and original and delicious. In other restaurants I'm sometimes a bit apprehensive about trying new things, but at Bann's I will try anything they put on the menu with total confidence, because I know it is guaranteed to be delicious.

My only faults with this place are: 1) that they could change the menu a bit more often. But then... my veggie partner was DISTRAUGHT when they took the chocolate souffle off the menu for a while, so maybe the old favourites stick around due to popular demand! And 2) there is only one vegan dessert, and though it's nice it's very sugary-sweet. It would be nice to have even one more on the menu so I could alternate. But otherwise...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE -- if you haven't yet, go there now!

Pros: So much vegan choice, Such amazing staff, Great atmosphere
Cons: Only one vegan dessert
malinolsson
malinolsson

Not priceworth

2 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2012

Fancy restaurant with friendly staff sure, but I'm very dissapointed at the food. The food was expensive and underseasoned and the portions were too small. We (two people) payed £30 for the main dish with small water+small beer and we didn't even still our hunger..! Sorry, but this place isn't as good as they say. Probably I could have cooked the food better myself, and that's not right.

Pros: Fancy interior, Friendly staff
Cons: Expensive, Underseasoned, Small portions
Sophiebeth23
Sophiebeth23

Most Amazing Restaurant Ever

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2012

I have to say this is the most amazing restaurant ever. The staff are very friendly and it has wonderful decor. The menu was wonderful it was so lovely having choice of ever thing on it! The starters we had were tartlet of blue cheese and slow dried tomato and Smoked mushroom and basil ravioli with tomato and basil soup. Both were a taste sensation. For mains we had Rice pancakes with spicy potato, cauliflower, chickpea and cashew & chilli filo tart with mash and parsnip sauce. Both were delicious. For desert we had Dark chocolate souffle and filo basket of warm orange caramel fruit with coconut rum sorbet. Wonderful from start to finish would truly recommend it!

Pros: Excellent food, Fantastic choice, Welcoming environment
Cons: nothing
hokusai77
hokusai77
+2074

A gastronomic experience

5 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2012

One of my favourite restaurants in Europe, David Bann is a true gourmet experience. Belonging to the Slow Food circuit, it offers inventive dishes with the freshest ingredients. Always crowded, it's better to reserve in advance. The cuisine varies from Indian to Japanese flavours, from Mediterranean to Thai dishes, without forgetting traditional British and Scottish food revisited in a vegetarian and vegan way.
The only minor flaw, if I have to find any, is the vegan dessert choice, not so large. Nevertheless, the vegan chocolate ice cream I had was scrumptious.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 29, 2012

Pros: fresh ingredients carefully balanced, friendly staff
Cons: not a large choice of vegan desserts
cprisacariu
cprisacariu

Nice, stylish, more upper class restaurant

4 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2011

Nice atmosphere with friendly staff. Good food, but more decorated and arranged in the plate. Kinda stylish interior and serving. Suited for more upper class people that like such style.

For me, I would like a more down to earth restaurant.

But everything else was ok. More expensive prices.

This just shows that vegetarian restaurants come in all styles; for the rich also. You don't need to go to a french restaurant... you can choose a vegetarian one :)

Pros: nice decoration, nice staff, good food
Cons: expensive, stylish
alimac
alimac

What shall I choose?

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2011

We had a good meal at David Bann's; it is a lovely restaurant which is designed to be a dining experience. Beautiful decor and welcoming staff. The menu is quite large and the choices feature local produce and a range of vegetarian and vegan options.. it is so nice to look at a menu and go "what shall I choose" rather than "what can I eat". Can highly recommend the dessert platter to share. Melt in the mouth.

Pros: sharing desserts, style of restaurant
Cons: busy
bendufeu
bendufeu

Best Meal at any restaurant in my life.

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2011

I think I can say this was the best meal I had eaten at any restaurant. The restaurant was also very nice. Every part of the meal tasted outstanding. Particularly the Main course which had lentils, mashed potatoes aubergine and tofu.

Pros: Food, Taste, Portions
Cons: ., ., .
Jaine
Jaine

Enjoyable visit.

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2011

Popped in for lunch after a really upsetting experience around the corner at Black Bo's the night before.
Luckily, David Bann's proved that there IS good vegan food to be had in Edinburgh. We had simple tasty chunky chips and broccoli fritters with home made dips. Dessert was a light and delicious filo basket with caramelised fruit and ice cream.
The staff were friendly and attentive. There are comparable places in Glasgow, but this was the best place we ate in Edinburgh.

Pros: Good food., excellent service.
alreader
alreader

Wow!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2011

My mother and I visited this restaurant tonight and it was amazing! I am uploading photos to show the food. We each had a glass of Organic Vegan wine, then we shared the Thai fritter of spiced broccoli and smoked tofu for the starter- fantastic flavors fit together so well. For our main courses I had the Udon Organic Udon noodles with ginger red pepper sauce and home smoked tofu- this was so amazing I stuffed myself even though I was full after the first half. The chef is genius. My mother loved her Chilli crepe with griddled potato and chocolate sauce- although she said she didn't know what to put the chocolate on. On the menu the food choices were clearly marked V for vegan and (V) if the item could be made vegan. The wait staff were friendly and helpful. I felt the price was very reasonable for the quality of the food and the environment. The price was no more than what we had paid the night before for Thai food. I did not find the cost excessive. I hope anyone with a 4 Star taste and a 3 Star budget will support David Bann in his restaurant. Congrats to the chefs! Oh- and did I mention the fresh crunchy rolls they brought out as an appetizer?

Pros: Excellent Food, Good service , Value for the QUALITY
daveharruk
daveharruk

Consistently excellent

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2011

We have visited David Bann many times and have always been pleased with the choice of vegan food on offer, the professionalism of the staff, and the imagination of the food presented to customers. For example, we had a christmas meal here in 2009 - not only was there a good vegan dessert (chocolate cake), but there were dishes which had ingredients combined together which seemed to work surprisingly and unexpectedly well together.

Pros: Imaginative food, Good vegan choice, Great customer service
Cons: Can be quite pricey
Alyson
Alyson

Sophisticated and tasty

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2011

My second evening meal in Edinburgh and the best! Loved the low lighting and sophisticated ambiance. Staff all very attentive and friendly. Food was great - really good choice for vegans with interesting and unusual dishes or twists on usual ones. The flavours were all lovely and the portion sizes good. Would definitely recommend if you feel like treating yourself. More expensive than other places, but worth it.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 28, 2011

Pros: Vegan choice, Taste, Atmosphere
Cons: More expensive than others
lovintheveg
lovintheveg

Delight in Edinburgh

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2010

While on vacation in Edinburgh, my aunt and I tried David Bann. I had the Grilled courgette, puy lentil with mash and gravy. She had Chilli with sweet potato and chocolate sauce.

The presentation was quite elegant and my aunt said her dish was the best she had the whole trip. The combination of food on my plate was very good and I was thoroughly impressed.

I also recommend ordering the homemade hummus. I am a hummus fiend and this stuff is amazing. So if you're in Edinburgh hunting for a veg restaurant, this is the place to go. It's near the Royal Mile so when you're tired from shopping stop in here for a nice meal!

Pros: tasty food, nice presentation
lewisjc
lewisjc

David Bann

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2010

Food:- good quality
Atmosphere and surroundings:- plush
Service:- 'professional' - but maybe a tad too slow due to the number of diners
Overall:- I like this place - it almost makes me feel guilty eating here as it feels somehow like it should be a meat eaters restaurant.
Rating:- 9/10

Pros: quality dining
Cons: hard to find parking
kittyfife
kittyfife

disappointing experience at David Bann

2 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2010

We sat in David Bann restaurant for about 30 minutes waiting to be noticed. It was Wednesday, August 25, 2010. We were shown to our seats and as the minutes ticked by the staff were wandering around and ignoring us. No drink orders were taken. We watched as others around us were also waiting, obviously for a long time. We got up and left. No one said anything about that either as we passed by 3 staff who watched us leave with blank looks on their faces.
What a waste of time!
The prices are inflated and the experience was brutal.
Gives vegetarianism a bad name.
Why can't we give this restaurant zero cows?
Updated from previous review on Saturday September 18, 2010
For a nice, friendly experience, go to Le Cafe Royale on Canongait. They have Veg options at half the price. The staff are friendly and the service was great.

Cons: lousy service, lousy atmosphere, lousy prices
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Fantastic Food in a Dignified Atmosphere

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2010

I made a point of stopping at David Bann's while traveling through Scotland because of the reviews on Happy Cow. It was my one night in the phenomenal city of Edinburgh and with so many must-check-out restaurants in town I had to pace myself. With that in mind:

The service here is exceptional. Waitresses were all very friendly (seemingly a trend when I dine alone) and the decor was modern and tasteful with pretty star-like lighting panels above and candles upon every table. Certainly among the fancier-looking veggie places I've been to but things are kept relatively casual.

I explained that I could only order a couple of starters which was no problem. Given gr8vegan's review below I ordered the chips (made vegan) with the truly outstanding apple-tomato ketchup and another underestimated dip which I cannot recall. I also ordered the smoked and fried tofu appetizer (ordered non-fried, as gr8vegan suggested) and it was completely out of this world!!! Never have has tofu tasted so good!!!

The meal was light but, being two appetizers, surprisingly filling. Food was ready quite soon after I ordered which, considering my hurry was nice. Even the couple across from me who each had entrees got their food in short time.

I will have to update my review upon my eventual return to Edinburgh when I can try more of the menu. As it is, I hold it in very high regard.

Pros: Smoked tofu starter!!!, Decor, Service and speed of chef
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

lovely!

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

came here for dinner. nice atmosphere and menu. again. don't remember what i had but it was excellent.

LeedsVeggie
LeedsVeggie

How vegetarian restraunts should be

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2010

I've been to David Bann a few times now and if I was rich and living in Edinburgh I'd probably go there every week.
The food is fantastic. I've had a couple of dubious options there but the last time I went I had what they humbly called a curry which was probably the tastiest thing I've ever eaten. Presented very well and amazing flavours.
The desserts are amazing and even the drink options (vegetarian wine and incredible cocktails) are out of this world.
The decor is understated and smart and the staff are always friendly.

Pros: Tatsy/stylish Food, Drink selection, staff
Cons: Not based in other cities
animalgazuk
animalgazuk

Poor vegan choice

2 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2010

Soup marked as vegan option but not available two of three times this month. Almost no vegan deserts. Disappointing choice compared to similar and cheaper restaurants. No longer on our regular Edinburgh list

Pros: good main course
Cons: Poor vegan choice, Pricy for lack of choice
  • animalgazuk animalgazuk

However it is deceitful to mark soup as VEGAN UPON REQUEST when 2 out of 3 occassions this last week, it has not been requestable. I would not describe a good vegan choice being accurate either as you only have to compare with even cafe type vegetarian establishments like Jack Spratts in Newcastle to see 7 to 8 vegan desserts out of 10, always a vegan soup and many other vegan starters and more than 5 main courses. At your prices, the choice for vegans should be like this or Terre a Terre in Brighton - it feels like you are falling behind as many ex veggies like me turn vegan (2 years now) and realise which of the veggie restaurants make an effort and which do not. After this week, I would put David Bann in the latter as it does look like a token occasional effort, not a genuine welcome for vegans. Vegans in Edinburgh are better served by the 2 excellent veggie Indian restaurants alas and, after 10 years as a 6-10 times a year customer of David Bann, I am sorry to say without a noticable improvement of vegan options and proper marking of the menu, I will not be returning

• David Bann David Bann

Although we serve a good choice of vegan food and are often listed in vegan guides I feel I must point out that we are a vegetarian restaurant and at no time have we advertised ourselves as anything else. I eat mostly vegan food myself but not exclusively. Please save your harsh judgment for a more deserving target.
    David Bann

hack_man
hack_man

Flagship Dining

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

A great place, slightly pretentious perhaps but nevertheless they take things seriously and vegetarian food is king here. Typical gourmet food prices, plush interior and efficient staff. Wine prices are steep but the selection is excellent and they are all organic. Food is served professionally with attention to detail as you would expect in a gourmet establishment. A must in Edinburgh if you want a special evening or want to impress friends

Pros: professional, food
Cons: prices
sheena
sheena

vegans beware

2 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2010

david bann is (sorry was) my fav place to eat however after a recent visit i feel that I can't possible eat there again which really makes me sad.
As it is quite an expensive restaurant I would go there for special times. Went for my birthday and everything was going well as usual until dessert time. The first mouthfull i tasted immediately wrang alarm bells. HONEY!!!!!! straight away I took it back directly to the chef's hatch and ws later told that the chef had ran out of golden syrup so she used honey instead. As a strict vegan who makes a real effort every day to avoid animal ingredients I thought I could depend on somewhere as professional as David Bann to get it right. Now I just cant trust them. After all , what else could have been slipped in without my knowing....milk, egg, etc. I dont like to complain but the head waiter knew i wasnt at all happy . An appology was given but no refund or offer of a free pudding which in my opinion would have been the decent thing to do. Vegans need to feel that they can trust the chef in these places. I would suggest you feel a lot safer at a little place called the engine shed who cater for vegetarians and vegans and are totally on the ball.

Pros: excellent servicde, good food choice, clean
Cons: not trustworthy on vegan menu, no kind gesture refunds for errors
  • David Bann David Bann

I have spoken with our pastry chef about this and he says he made a very stupid mistake putting honey on this dessert and is genuinely sorry. This is below our own standard. David Bann

maryb
maryb

my favourite!

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2010

the food was so amazing. lovely setting, great service, and the food was plated beautifully. will definately be going back! mmmmm

Pros: flavour, selection, atmosphere
nbuchana
nbuchana

The Best Vegan Restaurant in the Country

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2009

[Note: Contrary to the HappyCow description, this restaurant does NOT serve vegetarian haggis. The staff says that they never have served anything along those lines.]

This is a top-flight vegan experience. Every course on the menu included multiple vegan options. The theme was, for lack of a better term, "fusion." The staff was very friendly, and the atmosphere was comfortable. Food was served quickly (but not too quickly). I would eat here seven days a week, if I lived in Edinburgh. Absolutely fantastic restaurant. Make a reservation in advance.

Aloo
Aloo

Exceptional ambience and the food ain't bad either

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2009

I was overjoyed to find this place, opposite the Travelodge where I was staying. It is the kind of place you might have a celebration at, I wish I lived in Edinburgh just to go here! In terms of the attention to decor and customer service in a vegie restaurant, this is a step above the rest. The menu was varied and interesting and the meal was just delightful. I come Melbourne, which is one of the most Vegan friendly cities in the world I am told, we could certainly do with one of these in our town.

Pros: ambience, food, service
mrukz
mrukz

Great food

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2009

I am just visiting Edinburgh, and I have been looking for vegetarian places to eat. What a great choice of vegetarian places Edinburgh has to offer! I began at David Bann's, and I was not disappointed. The dishes were exciting, and the ones that I and my friends got were delicious.

Pros: Exciting dishes, OK price
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

How a top Veg restaurant should be!

5 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2009

I'm usually very apprehensive at going to a top chef vegetarian restaurant as a healthy vegan, usually I get sent on my way since there is nothing that isn't deep fried they want to alter for me, but David Bann was totally different! From the waiter to the chef everyone was amazingly accommodating, polite, helpful and just all around wonderful! The dishes were extremely creative in so many ways! For a starter we had the baby potatoes and instead of the honey dressed we asked for the Apple Tomato Ketchup they made for the chips, it was so GOOD! Who would have ever though of apples and tomatoes? Seriously, you are seriously missing out if you miss the Apple Ketchup. They did the potatoes perfectly as well! They were amazing, we even ordered another batch. For our main we had the Udon, but asked that nothing be fried, ie the smoked tofu just put on plain and they put it together and heated it up w/o using the oil and it was AMAZING! The smoked tofu had so much flavor, I wanted to order a side of bread just to soak up the last bites of the tangy sauce that accompanied it as well. Great selections of wines and beers in a large modern setting. Again, our waiter was awesome!

Pros: will accommodate healthy vegans, apple ketchup, top notch service!
Brainy
Brainy

Away from the World's End

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

Stranded in Edinburgh and surfing the net in a nearby hostel when I came across David Bann. It was 5 minutes around the corner where I was staying and I was staying next to the World's End pub. I dragged a friend there for brunch and the guy is the biggest carnivore I know and even he found the place amazing. It's classy, it has delious food and a great selection of wine. You didn't wait too long or too soon and they served up the best desert. The staff were exceptionally lovely and very considerate to the vegan needs. David Bann was certainly a great find and I'm craving that ice cream they served up.

Pros: Great food, friendly staff, Good value
Bettina
Bettina

Possibly the best veg restaurant in the world!

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2009

I swear to God, this is probably the best vegetarian restaurant in the whole world. 5 stars! The food there is proper haute-cuisine, inventive and just dead tasty. Food does not get any better than this..! A+++++++++++++++++

Pros: excellent dishes, interior, healthy
Cons: none
jamber79
jamber79

beautiful restaurant

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2009

Very nice ambience, very upscale and trendy looking. Pretty big in size. Went in without reservations and the hostess seemed quite annoyed with us, though there were plenty of tables, and it never filled up once while we were there. Wished she had been more friendly which would have made our experience better. Food was excellent. Had the olives appetizer (best olives I've had), and a beet souffle dish which was excellent. Good vegan drinks too.

jmw5577
jmw5577

Delicious and affordable

4 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

Beautiful and upscale but very affordable. I had the mushroom risotto, which was delicious. Very good selection and very vegan-friendly. It's a wonderful place to stop in after a day of sightseeing, but it gets quite busy on the weekends. We managed to squeeze in early (around 6pm) without reservations, but if you're going to be much later than that I would recommend calling ahead.

Pros: Excellent service, Great ambience, Delicious food
Dilettante
Dilettante

Delicious and cozy

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2009

On a cold windy night we went into this nice candlelit restaurant and got very good meals. My husband rated it as "Quite good", whereas I got the best vegetarian meal I have ever gotten in a restaurant that night. Good service, too.

Pros: Delicious, Good service, Nice decor
Helenw
Helenw

Fantastic

5 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2008

We found out about this place through a non-veggie friend who highly recommended we visit here. I am very glad that we did follow his advice! We had a three course meal consisting of thai fritters (yum), chilli & chocolate tortilla with sweet potato mash (excellent!) and a strawberry pancotta (melted in my mouth). My boyfriend's food looked just as good. There was a good selection of wine on the menu and the merlot we went for was really drinkable. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant itself was nicely decorated and had a good atmosphere. I thought that it was all reasonably priced and our three course meal with some hummous to share, wine and a coffee and a baileys plus service came to £70 which I thought was really good considering how much we had eaten. If I am ever back in Edinburgh I shall go again as there were lots of other things on the menu that I liked the sound of...

Pros: Excellent food, Good wine list, Staff
Cons: none
natz
natz

Fantastic - highly recommended

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2008

Booked a table for Thursday evening then we phoned up to change the time, unfortunately they hadn't got our original booking so we had to eat there later than we wanted. However, the restaurant manager phoned me up to apologise before we'd arrived and they also deducted 10% off the final bill for the inconvenience! This is top quality dining service and what you'd expect at fine dining restaurants in London so it's fab that a veggie restaurant sets such a high standard. The place was full, gorgeous modern surroundings, fantastic wine and a massive choice of veggie and vegan options. They even brought out vegan "butter" as well as usual butter to go with the bread rolls! I took three meat eaters with me and they were highly impressed and took ages to choose as the menu was more varied than they're used to! We had three courses and all were fantastic, can't recommend it highly enough!! Check out the menus on their website but i'd recommend the vegan choc ice cream as a must! Lots of vegan options in May 08.

Pros: Gorgeous food, varied choice, high quality service
Deano
Deano

Bann-tastic

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2008

I've been to a few up-market vegetarian restaurants. Sometimes I find they are too much style and not enough food on the plate. But David Bann has got it just right on all counts.
It's in a great location, the decor is modern and stylish with seductive lighting, the food is excellent, the staff are friendly and there's a decent choice for vegans (apart from the desserts).
It's not cheap, but it's not overly expensive - I think the quality of the food easily justifies the prices.
Book early because it can get very busy.

Pros: Just about everything
brzlian
brzlian

EXCELLENT!!!

5 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2008

I visited this restaurant twice in January 2008 and loved it each time. The food was excellent and the staff very friendly. A little overpriced but aside from that I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. I will certainly go back there when I visit Edinburgh again.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: a little overpriced
am22ssj
am22ssj

AMAZING

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2008

I had the Thai fritters and spiced udon noodles and home smoked tofu. So delicious. I was the only vegan and everyone loved it. Great location, posh atmosphere. Great for a nice, upscale experience.

Pros: Excellent Food, Nice atmosphere, Friendly-staff
gasman
gasman

Fantastic High quality Restaurant!

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2007

Hi, we visited this place end Sept 07. We'd visited without booking and were suprised that it was so full at 7pm on a Weds - luckily there was one table free! Food and service absolutely impeccable and at a very reasonable price. They had local bottled beers to savour and an excellent pudding for two(approx £8) which had a selection of puddings on it, to try - highly recommended and I would have no hesitation eating here again

Pros: Food gorgeous, efficient, very reasonably priced
Cons: Background music would have been great
MissAnthropik
MissAnthropik

truly scrumptious

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2007

I have only been here once, but if ever i find myself back in edinburgh i will definitely be going back. This is far and away the best vegetarian restaurant I have been to - swanky decor (much better than it looks from outside), "posh" food, lots of choice, friendly service and all at a reasonable cost. It took me forever to decide what to eat. A relative had been before and given me some recommendations, but they were no longer on the menu so i can only assume the menu the menu is changed fairly frequently. I enjoyed every last mouthful!

Pros: choice, excellent food, nice decor
Mimi
Mimi

Good Food

3 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

I usually eat at Banns if I am in Edinburgh, through lack of other options. Banns has little variety for vegans, and the menu has hardly changed (and not improved) in years. The portions are city size (that is on the small size). But the food always tastes good.

Pros: Tasty Vegan Food, Dessert, Soya Milk
Cons: Small Portions, Poor Choice for Vegans
Guest
Guest

Incredible food!

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2007

I realize the Castle is quite impressive however equally surprizing is David Bann's excellent restaruant. What a wonderful treat to find such exqisite food and lovely decor. The tart alone is worth a trip to Edinburgh. Richard

onejamie
onejamie

4 Stars

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2007

We had an excellent meal on Saturday 22nd Jan 2007. The restaurant was full, but even so we had fast and attentive service. The shimmering moon display is stylin' and I would have liked more artwork like this. The food was supurb - the Beetroot salad was my favourite - and the portions were a good size. The price-tag was a bit on the heavy side, but you get what you pay for.

Pros: Delicious Food, Good Service, Style
Cons: Expensive
bungybunny
bungybunny

A bad night or a trend?

2 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2006

Having dined at Bann's earlier this year I was extremely disappointed with the meal last Saturday night. Of the first course "Warm beetroot, radish and apricot salad" both the beetroot and the radish were insipid and flavourless. The "chunky chips" served with the main course Galette were oozing with oil. The vegan dessert options pathetic. On the plus side the service was good, but that can never make up for the poor quality of the food. Overall it felt like there was no passion for the food coming from the kitchen.

Stevie
Stevie

David Bann, Edinburgh

4 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2006

Contemporary food in a pretty stylish sort of restaurant. No probs for me as a vegan at all. Centrally located in Edinburgh's old town.

Pros: Vegan options, Central location, Nice surrounds

Dear Owner and Manager of David Bann Restaurant: