Darshan Vegetarian Restaurant

A simple small restaurant with 3 tables, located in the center of Iquitos. Offers vegan options. Breakfast (7-10am) is a blender-juice drink with 10-15 different fruits. Lunch (2-4pm) and dinner (7-9pm) are set plates for a fixed price. Sometimes open on Sat. closed Sat-Sun. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, International

First Review by maynard7
maynard7
maynard7

Food not that great

2 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2012

I try to always leave at least a 3-cow rating for any veggie restaurant, since they are providing a needed service. In this case, I can't, as the food just wasn't good on the day I went.

I have been in Iquitos 4 times and each time I was told there was no vegetarian restaurant in town. This time I met a new friend who told me about this place and one other in town. That day I went with three people, two of whom have eaten there before. The set menu of the day was squash soup, tomato-radish salad, rice, soy meat, quinoa, and a weakly flavored beverage I couldn't identify.
Every item served had very weak flavor and needed "something". They apparently don't add salt to anything, and if you ask for salt, they bring you a salt substitute which doesn't taste like salt. If they could have just added garlic or onions or some other flavor, perhaps the food would have been good, but it simply wasn't. Furthermore, most of the items served were grains, not vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, celery, etc. It cost them probably 1 Sol to put together that meal, and they charge 10 soles for it. A very disappointing experience overall, and I'm sorry, but I can't recommend this place. My friends told me that the restaurant has been there for 5 years. They have talked with the owner about adding more flavor to the food, but he just doesn't. The place has three tables, so I guess there are people in town who like it. You can decide for yourself.

Pros: Location
Cons: Little to no flavor, Lack of variety on plate, High price for items served

Dear Owner and Manager of Darshan Vegetarian Restaurant: