Darjeeling- maybe closed

Serves meat, veg options available. This is a large kosher Indian restaurant near the Arc de Triumph, in the 17th arrondissement. Has a large vegetarian section on the menu, all of which is parve (no dairy or meat-products) Kosher-certified by orthodoxe kehillat, and all parve options are vegan. Instead of dairy cheese, tofu and soy cheese is used. Instead of ghee, oil is used. Most breads (even those stuffed with "cheese") are parve and vegan. Pleasant atmosphere, large and colorful. DEC 2012: reported closed/shut down, please verify and let happycow know. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out, Kosher, Non-veg
1 Rue des Colonels Renard
Paris, France 75017
0145720932

First Review by vegetalien
arherron
arherron

Tasty food at a popular pace

4 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2011

I ate here in May 2011 and really enjoyed the food. The range of vegan options was wide and they tasted really good. I would recommend booking as it was very busy, even on a Tuesday night. Service was friendly but getting the bill was very very slow. I would visit again.

Pros: Lots of vegan choices, friendly staff, prices are fine
Cons: slow getting the bill (30 mins!)
Parasol
Parasol

Just okay

2 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2010

We went here for lunch in July 2010. The atmosphere was nice though we were the only women in the place, patrons and staff included. Service was slow (not for food but slow for seating and very slow for receiving the bill).

We ordered "cheese" naan which lacked any comparison - flavour or texture-wise - to cheese and pappadums which you should avoid as they are slippery and shiny with grease - unlike any I've ever had. For our main courses we had black lentil curry and a paneer dish. They were tasty but nowhere close to great. The paneer is unflavoured chunks of firm tofu. A small plate of jasmine rice on the side was wildly overpriced as were the drinks. Our meal totaled 30 Euro. We would not return to this restaurant.

Pros: Atmosphere, Location
Cons: Terrible pappadums, Slow service, Overpriced for quality
vegetalien
vegetalien

Wonderful kosher vegan food

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2010

My partner and I went here a couple of weeks ago with some friends (some of whom stick to a strict, mostly vegan kosher diet), and had a great meal. We each ordered something off of the vegetarian menu, and also got a couple of different kinds of bread and rice--everything we ordered was very, very good. I was quite thrilled to find this place, since getting vegan Indian food can be so difficult (even the strictly vegetarian Indian restaurants typically put ghee in everything). It was a real treat to have some vegan naan and vegan malai kofta. I would give this place "5 cows" if Happy Cow allowed one to give a rating that high to a non-vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: Separate vegetarian menu, parve & vegan, Nice setting, Moderately priced

Dear Owner and Manager of Darjeeling- maybe closed: