Serves meat, veg options available. Popular brunch spot, busy on weekends. Vegan biscuits & gravy, tempeh reuben, tofu scramble, fresh orange juice, and more. Non-smoking. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by thrulooknglass
VeganNeppy
VeganNeppy

The Darby's Experience

3 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

The place is nice to know of if you are in the area. I am not opposed to going again, but the waiter hardly even talked and made my partner a bit uncomfortable. In fact, I heard more talking from the cook the whole time and I never saw her. The food seems a bit greasy to be fully vegan, but I did not get sick. The place has a groovy Wizard of Oz theme going on and some little froggies, but is ultimately kind of dingy.

You are going to spend a buck here, but pretty standard rates for the area. Vegan bloody mary mix is a nice touch, and the biscuits and gravy are decent. Good flavor, but a little on the cold side.

Pros: Tasty Food, Decent Booze, Groovy atmosphere
Cons: Uninterested waiter, Pricey, Dirty/greasy/questionably vegan
Treefriend
Treefriend

Terrible

1 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2012

Darby's is one of the worst eateries in Olympia. Nothing worse than having cashiers and wait staff, who look and dress like homeless bums, snub and ignore you for as long as they can. Wait, the unventilated, smoke filled dining area is worse, actually. The mediocre food, most of which you could make better for yourself at home isn't worth the money, and someone should tell the tank-top wearing hirsute waitresses that long arm pit hairs should not be considered a garnish. I wonder why the health department lets them stay open. Mostly its the terrible service and attitude of the people who work there that makes the place unbearable.

Cons: Mediocre food, terrible service, smokey dining room
robocop
robocop

May be vegan but not healthy

2 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2012

We decided to try breakfast at Darby's and were a bit disappointed. The Tofu scramble with vegetables was OK but came with a pile of very greasy hash browns. The Vegan omelet was OK but again came with greasy hash browns and some kind of butter or margarine on our whole grain toast. I haven't had any kind of fat on my toast for years so it tasted weird. We watched the good looking vegan sandwiches delivered to other tables but along side a greasy pile of deep fried french fries. The help didn't seem to want to take the time to talk about what we wanted and they seemed understaffed and in a hurry. At least they are tying but this may be vegan but not a healthy place to eat.

Pros: Vegan friendly
Cons: Lots of greasy fried food, Not much coaching from the staff

SaraJane85
SaraJane85

Snotty and Crowded

1 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2012

I had not thought about it but upon reading the last review it makes sense that it is true. Have you ever seen their kitchen? It is SUPER tiny. Smaller than kitchens in the average house. So that makes sense that they are not really vegan. Other than that I do not understand what all the fuss is about. I have been here several times and it is not that good. REALLY. I can make much better and better for me food at home. Also the servers are ALWAYS snotty and do not pay enough attention to their jobs.

Pros: Bad servers, not great food
Cons: nice atmosphere
thereallunchgirl
thereallunchgirl

Not quite vegan unless you ask for it.

4 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2011

This place had a really fun atmosphere and was quite busy for a Sunday evening. The biscuits and gravy were pretty delicious among the other food I had. I was dissappointed that they had run out of some of the ingredients for the sandwiches I wanted to try. I will definitely go there again. My only complaint is that they go through all of the work to ensure the ingredients for their vegan dishes are in fact of vegan, but then cook them with the meat. I really wanted to try their fries, but they cook them in the same oil as the chicken and I had to ask that my black bean burger be cooked on a separate surface than the griddle that they cook everything else on. Why eat a veggie burger that's soaked in meat grease? I think they may be confused on the concept.

Pros: Great food, Excellent drink selection, Pleasant, upbeat atmosphere
Cons: Vegan food cooked with meat, Several items out of stock
OlyVeg
OlyVeg

THE place for breakfast

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2010

There are lots of vegan items on the breakfast menu, and the ones I've tried have all been delicious. The vegan biscuits and gravy and soooo good, and filling, but my new favorite is the southwest frittata thing that they make with some egg-substitute they developed. I think it's really good, but my eating partner doesn't like it, so I guess you'll have to try it yourself. The coffee is always good and the meal portions are really too big to even finish. I've dinner there a few times and have enjoyed the falafel and hummus burger, though their fries are too greasy for me (I still eat them, of course!) :)

Pros: variety, atmosphere, taste
Cons: noisy, long waits sometimes
miger1
miger1

great place

4 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2008

first visited darby's back in dec-07. fell in love with the mushroom and onion soup. returned to olympia for a visit in june-08 and wanted to eat at darby's but found it close my last two days there. excellent atmosphere

thrulooknglass
thrulooknglass

Yummy

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2007

I've been to Darby's many times and I am always satisfied with what I pay for. For breakfast try their vegan biscuits and gravy with their house made vegan sausage. Their hashbrowns are amazing. For lunch I get their Black bean burger... made with their own black bean and rice patty (its so delicious and falls apart as your eat it) topped with grilled onions and red pepper. SO YUMMY! What I dislike about Darby's is that sometimes the servers are less than friendly and everything I have tried is greasy as heck. Otherwise delicious! Prices are average for restraunt style.

Pros: great food, big proportions
Cons: cold staff, greasy
Guest
Guest

Greasy Spoon Vegetarian

3 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2007

Pretty good vegetarian options, although a little on the messy side. I like the Breakfast sandwich that can be made with tofu instead of egg. The homemade veggie burger is better than your average one, also. The hash browns are tasty but greasy.

Pros: laid back atmosphere, summer outside seating, lots of veggie options
Cons: sometimes slow service, not always super clean

Dear Owner and Manager of Darby's Cafe: