Darbster - West Palm Beach

Vegan restaurant with a bistro feel, located on the waterway. Serves an electric mix of innovative vegan dishes such as palm cakes along with favorites like enchiladas, mac n cheese, salads, and raw food. Brunch offered on Saturday and Sunday. Dog friendly. Also has a location in Boca Raton. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, International, Fusion, Beer/Wine
8020 S Dixie Highway
West Palm Beach, Florida 33405
561-586-2622

Open Tue-Fri 5-10pm, Sat 10:30am-3pm, 5-10pm, Sun 10:30am-3pm, 5-9pm.

First Review by ellen and alan
TamaraSSeely
TamaraSSeely

Darbster

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2014

I love this Place. I come there for special occasions with my boyfriend and our Dogs. My boyfriend is not vegan , but still loves the atmosphere and he knows it makes me Happy.

I'm glad they have this restaurant in west palm beach

Pros: great food, can bring your dog, outside lighting is beautiful
shirley1
shirley1

What a Great Surprise !!!

5 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2014

My husband and I had been in Miami for a few days and really struggled to find anything close to vegan and gluten free.What a surprise when we travelled up to West Palm Beach.Using our HappyCow app we found Darbster and what a great find.The setting is beautiful - you can eat inside or outside and the food is outstanding.Our friend had the Palm Cakes (not GF) and he raved.We had the Onion Soup and the Beet tartare as starters and they were just great.Our main course was theScallops Provencal (Marinated Tofu) and a Sweet Potato Pad Thai that was just heavenly.Two nights later we went back and we had the Caesar Salad and the Falafel Plate - we were just as satisfied.On both visits there was plenty left over to take home for breakfast.The staff were knowledgable,friendly and very attentive.The restaurant is also Certified Kosher.

Pros: Great Selection, Scrumptious Food, Attentive Staff
rmills12
rmills12

Great place

4 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2014

This is a fantastic, quaint, little spot. Love the fact that all of their profits go to animal shelters. We ordered fried mushrooms, the wellington and the quinoa loaf. Unfortunately, I think I got a bad mushroom and got sick rather quickly and couldn't eat either of the entrees or order dessert. That really bummed me out cuz we had a $80 tab and I couldn't enjoy it. What I did taste was great, oh yeh we shared a mac n cheese too. I would like to go back and try again without ordering mushrooms.

Pros: Menu/Food, Atmosphere, NonProfit
Cons: Price, Snobby rich people, Bad mushrooms
kmilitello
kmilitello

Brunch is Amazing!

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2014

Darbster is one of those restaurants that just makes you happy. It's entirely vegan. Most of the food is healthy. The garden tables are very nice, outside and surrounded by trees. The proceeds are donated to animal rescue... Unfortunately, I believe the food quality took a huge dive when their last head chef departed a year or two ago. The weekly specials are not nearly as good and are often hit and miss as to whether they are even worth ordering. In fact, I rarely order the specials after a few disappointing meals. However, the staples on the regular menu are still okay. The palm cakes have been a bit inconsistent, but they're still delicious when cooked correctly. I also had the nachos once a few months ago, and the plating and content changed dramatically and not for the better. I'm hoping that too was just a bad night. Darbster is a restaurant that I want to love...

With that said, I still regularly visit Darbster for brunch. I bring my dog. I listen to the live music. It's a wonderful, relaxing way to enjoy the weekend when it isn't too hot. Everything that I have had for brunch has been fabulous- including the specials! One week I had a buffalo chicken quesadilla that was fabulous! I also love the breakfast tempeh burrito and the quiche. Pancakes are good too. Portion sizes are nice, but sometimes small enough that they leave me a little hungry. Give brunch a try!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday February 25, 2014

Pros: Brunch, Dog friendly, Nice service
Cons: Inconsistent dinner quality
Vanchy4
Vanchy4

Best vegan restaurant in West Palm Beach

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2014

We go at least once a week, we love this place and it's kid friendly

Pros: awesome food, always have something special on the men, the staff are amazing
Cons: not open for lunch, not open for breakfast, not open on Monday's

cindylivingfoods
cindylivingfoods

A wonderful patio dining experience

4 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2014

I walked in to Darbster's the day the opened and have been going back ever since. There are always daily specials and a very good selection of both raw food (for myself) and vegan cooked food (for my husband). The live entertainment is always enjoyable and just the right level to allow intimate dinner conversation and dogs are welcome yet not intrusive. It is mostly patio dining which is perfect in south Florida. And if you get the chance I highly recommend their Thanksgiving day meal which again has a raw menu and cooked menu for this special holiday. The staff is very friendly.

Pros: good selection of food, both raw and cokked menu items, Lovely environment
Scarletleaf
Scarletleaf

Food Good - Disappointing Service

2 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

We ate here for the first (and last) time yesterday.

Most of our food was good. The palm cakes and portabella "steak" hoagie were wonderful, the stuffed mushrooms not so much.

However, the service (or lack thereof) is what will keep us from returning. We started out with one server who took our drink and appetizer orders and left us to decide what we wanted for dinner. So, we waited, and waited, and WAITED for her to return. About 15-20 minutes after she left us, a new server came to our table and started over with us. We explained we already heard the specials, had given our drink orders, and just wanted to order our main meals. We asked questions about the dish ingredients and she didn't know the answers, but said she would ask - though she never did get back to us with the information.

The food took a VERY LONG TIME to come out. I mean, a REALLY long time. We had to ask for drink refills THREE times before receiving them. We weren't gulping down our drinks, but a whole meal having to ration your beverage throughout? That's ridiculous. Finally, after yet another drink request had been seemingly forgotten, I stood up to go find our server. She happened to be coming back our way again and must have heard me comment to my fellow diners that I was disappointed in the service because she took the dessert charge off the bill since she "wasn't as attentive as usual" with our group.

So, bottom line - if the service were better, I'd gladly go back. But "inattentive" service can ruin a meal - and in this case left us with no desire to return.

Pros: Good food, Great outdoor dining
Cons: Really slow, inattentive service, LOUD, Pretty expensive
dwdrummond
dwdrummond

The Darbster Rocks!

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2013

We are fortunate to have a real vegan/raw restaurant here in West Palm Beach, FL. We are also fortunate that it's a busy place at times, ensuring their presence in our community.
The food itself is inventive and delicious, especially with the raw dishes. The price is a little steep, but not too outrageous considering the quality and the ambiance, which is nice since the place is situated near a canal and has a nice tropical feel to it. It is certainly a place to bring the family on a Sunday afternoon or a date for an evening dinner.
I highly recommend the Darbster to anyone in the area or traveling through the West Palm area in South Florida.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 30, 2013

Pros: Creative cuisine, Great outdoor ambiance, Professional wait staff
Cons: Slightly pricey, Food can be a touch bland
vegan james
vegan james

Vegan food

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

This place is mega amazing food and great location. It has it all, this is a must visit, you will be back again and again.

Pros: Vegan, Amazing food, Friendly staff
Ricardo111
Ricardo111

What a great spot

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2013

Amazing food in a cute setting, had dinner there with my wife last night and we loved it. We live in MIAMI and it is crazy that there's is nothing like this place there. Miami needs a high end vegan restaurant urgently. Maybe Dabsters should open a location there and make it in a beautiful setting and it would be a hit!!!

Pros: food, service , value
Cons: nothing
ellbee
ellbee

Wow

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

One great meal w wonderful atmosphere!!!

Pros: Vegan, Creative Menu, Atmosphere
Cons: Only 1 Location
RobinCRemarkZarate
RobinCRemarkZarate

Special!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2013

My son and I had a wonderful meal here at the end of June 2013
Our appetizer, crab rangoon was lovely crisp.
I had the Wellington and my son the Ruben...MMMMMMMMMMMM!
Dessert we shared the sampler because we couldn't decide.
Every dish was delicious and pleasing to the eye. We enjoyed the lovely outdoor setting.

Pros: All vegan, Great staff, Good value
vegann
vegann

Did I Die and Go to Heaven?

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2013

Vegan food, dogs, and fun! The world needs more Darbsters! I had the raw Tostadas, Kale Salad, and Flax Tomato Sandwich. My only regret is that I didn't get to try everything on the menu. I am going to Florida in a week and I am not dreaming about going to the beach, I'm dreaming about going to Darbster. I might just move to Florida because of this place :-)

Pros: Raw Food Options, Vegan, Dog Friendly
melodymarks517
melodymarks517

Great vegan food!

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2013

This a fun restaurant here in West Palm. They have outdoor and indoor seating. They also allow people to let their dogs hang out.

For a vegan like me, the menu is great. They have a nice variety of appetizers, meals, salads and desserts. I will say to me this is a difficult place to bring a meat eater who is not used to vegan or vegetarian food. Most of the food here is a vegan version of something else (gardein, soy cheeze, etc) so the food may be a little strange to them.

One of my favorite things here is the caesar salad. I also love the chocolate ganache cake for dessert. I think the food is great.

Pros: Great dessert selections, Raw section on menu, Variety
Cons: Weather can mess up experience, Not open all day
Marypoodle
Marypoodle

Great Food, Nice Atmosphere

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

This is a very friendly place that serves wonderful vegan and raw dishes. It has a great atmosphere, including really nice live music on some nights and the option of outdoor seating. It's also really dog friendly; more than once I've shown up with two large Standard poodles in tow and have felt warmly welcomed. I like lots of the dishes, especially the burger, falafel salad and tomato bisque soup. The deserts are also amazing. If there was one thing I would love to see added to their menu, it would be fresh mixed vegetable/fruit juices. Overall, it is a great restaurant. It is a little expensive, but much more reasonable than some, and they have lunch specials if you sign up for their lunch club. I usually wind up spending about $30 for a meal, including tip, but it is possible to spend a lot less than that. It's a great place for people who appreciate healthy, fresh, vegan cuisine.

Pros: delicious food, variety of healthy choices, nice atmosphere
Cons: a little expensive
veganlane
veganlane

Truly Amazing!

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2013

My husband and I (both vegan) frequent Darbster. We try a new entree every time and have yet to be disappointed. The chicken parm is awesome!! The atmosphere is great and the staff is friendly and helpful. They have a great happy hour and specials every week. The cheddar ale soup is to die for!!! On top of it all, they're non-profit.

Pros: friendly staff, amazing food, great value
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

A Pleasant Time

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2013

After looking at some reviews of the restaurant, we had high expectations and we were not disappointed. This is a busy restaurant but has a nice relaxed feel to it. There was lots of choice - almost too much. Everything tasted good and the server even took a little time to speak with us. A pleasant and satisfying time indeed.

Pros: Relaxed atmosphere, Extensive menu, Engaging staff
Vegiforlife
Vegiforlife

Darbster

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2013

This is my favorite vegan restaurant in South FL! They have done an incredible job with the landscaping so you really forget that you are right next to a road under a billboard. You feel like you are in a beautiful garden, very peaceful place that you can bring dogs. The food is amazing and they have specials everyday. You can join their lunch club and they will email you their specials before lunchtime so you can plan your day. The wings are very good as is the cheesesteak and chicken parm. We get the sliders every time we go...delicious! On Sundays they have brunch all day until dinner, the tofu scramble and potatoes is a great plate! They have quite the variety of salads and 3 or 4 raw dishes. The staff is great, very friendly. On weekends there is live music that lends to the laid back atmosphere. I have been there during the summer on very hot days and there is plenty of shade and breeze that it is not uncomfortable. There is a small 'indoor' area if it is raining.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 19, 2012

Pros: atmosphere, quality, variety
roblindsey
roblindsey

LOVE it!!

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2012

My husband (vegetarian), son (4 years old carnivore) and I have eaten at Darbster 3 times. I have actually went there 2 other times but they were closed (Monday and Tuesday). We have loved everything we ate. Even my non-vegetarian mom liked her meal. My non-vegan son is in love with the restaurant too. He loved the mac and cheese and chicken strips and fries. Of course he likes the brownies because "they are vegan and vegan means healthy" LOL! HIGHLY suggest this restaurant to vegans and non-vegans.

Pros: great food, good atmosphere, great experience
Cons: closed 2 days/week
eric and michele
eric and michele

Great Vegan Comfort Food

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

Darbster makes being vegan easy. Eat wonderful vegan renditions of all your favorite foods. Great prices as well.

Pros: Great Food, Great Value, Very Friendly Staff
MarciaM
MarciaM

Love it

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2012

Great open air vegetarian restaurant. We frequent this spot in the winter when hanging out in Florida. Awesome menu. Great service. Make a reservation during prime time.
Dog friendly too. Your pooch is welcome to sit under your table while you enjoy your dinner.

Pros: Choices, Service great, Atmosphere great
MakeUrInsidesSing
MakeUrInsidesSing

Delectable!

4 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2012

I very much enjoyed the daily special, the portabello mushroom scramble with Bernaise sauce, the blueberry torte, and especially the smoked tempeh bacon. The atmosphere was very chill, the guitarist/singer was a great addition. The only downside was the it was especially HOT in West Palm Beach that day. The establishment was not air conditioned.

Pros: variety of choices, good service, nice vibe
Cons: no AC
ninafarr
ninafarr

Out Of This World

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

Easily the best vegan restaurant in southern Florida offering mock meats as well as raw vegan food. I eat there all the time and I live in Boca, so it's a bit of a drive, but well worth it because the food is amazing and the owners, chef, and staff are very friendly. Also, the restaurant is dog-friendly and not for profit!

Pros: friendly, delicious, good value
Cons: too small!
catercow
catercow

Yay for Vegan Food in South Florida!

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2012

My mother, her friend (both carnivores) and I (vegan) went to Darbster for lunch the other day before a play we were going to see in Lakeworth.

Unfortunately, it is summertime in South Florida (meaning: extremely hot, muggy, and rains every hour or so). THis is an outdoor/open restaraunt so it was quite hot. Although that itself has no reflection on the restaraunt itself.

I must say I was so happy to eat here. The only true vegan restaraunts I have been to were when I was visiting California. It was disheartening to not find any vegan places near where I lived (Coral Springs). However, I've disovered many great vegan places hiding about a half an hour away (no problem, great food is worth it).

Speaking about Darbster's food...AMAZING! It is such a wonderful feeling to realize I can order anything off the menu and I am "safe" (no substitutions, no worries about animal products, etc). For lunch, I ordered the house salad with apple cider vinagrette (perfectly sweet and light) and the mac n cheese. THe macaroni and cheese, I must say, was unbelievably delicious. I have tried making vegan mac n cheese so many times, with lots of different soy and rice cheeses, but it is always off. The mac n cheese here was exactly like the mac n cheese I used to enjoy as a kid. Creamy and soft with a crunchy baked top. Amazing.

My mother's friend ordered the Southwestern Burrito,which she seemed to enjoy a great deal. My mother got the BLT made with tempeh and onion rings. Unfortunately, she only ate half (but she loved the onion rings!). I think the texture of the tempeh that they use in place of bacon was the issue. I know there are meat substitutes that visually look like bacon, but Darbster uses thick slices of tempeh instead (which I think was the issue for my mom, as tempeh is kind of like nut-shaped crumbles shaped together, not very bacon like).

After that, we shared a carrot cake and brownie dessert. THe carrot cake was delicious and had this awesome 'spicy' kind of icing (which I usually hate icing on anything). The brownie was also amazing, and I loved that they topped it with fruit as I only usually eat fruit desserts (not a big chocolate fan).

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the meal and I really wished I lived closer!!

Pros: delicious food, all vegan, very nice staff
Cons: tempeh in BLT
Nicki
Nicki

Amazing vegan food on the water!

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

I loved everything about Darbster. We sat outside by the water, and the atmosphere was beautiful. They're dog-friendly, and not only let us bring our dog but brought him a bowl of water, treats, and a Darbster bandana. The food was fantastic - we split an appetizer of "wings," which came with hot sauce and vegan ranch dipping sauce. As meals I had the palm cakes, which were delicious, and my partner had the chik'n parmigiana, also good. For dessert we got a warm brownie with ice cream on top, which I wasn't sure about initially because the brownie was labeled "gluten-free," and sometimes gluten-free desserts aren't the best, but the brownie was delicious! The service was also prompt and very friendly. This is definitely one of my new favorite restaurants.

Pros: Dog-friendly, Outdoor seating on the water, Great food
Michelle Goebel
Michelle Goebel

Average Vegan Food

2 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2012

Salads and homemade dressings are very good. The chocolate mouse is good too. However, much of the dishes have weird textures and the taste is just average. I have eaten there 3 times and ended up with an upset stomach each time. Christopher's Kitchen on PGA has much better food - more flavorful, great textures, 100 % raw, vegan and organic. I have eaten there many times and never had an upset stomach either

Pros: Good salads
Cons: Average taste, Upset Stomach, Loud
  • Abobko Abobko

I 100% agree with this review. Christopher is 1000 times more favor full!!!

Michellemarra
Michellemarra

SPOT ON!!!! RUN! DON'T WALK TO DARBSTERS!

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2011

Our family has been in South Florida for two years now and somehow DARBSTERS slipped under our radar.  We live about 30 minutes away which is nothing for a very good vegan experience.  We ordered the Spicy Wings, the Falafal Wrap, the Spicy Tuna Sushi, the Kale Salad,
and Gnocchi with Tempeh.  To finish the meal we ordered their Carrot Cake and a Lavender Blueberry Tart.  Yes, we were little piggies!!!  Better to be one than eat one:)
Almost everything was up to our expectations and then some.  Every dish was exciting with the right amount of texture and flavor.  The only dish that  wasn't great was the Kale Salad.  We werent sure if it was the kale or the dressing, but something was off in that dish.
We loved the outdoor dining - it is Florida Funky, which works for us.  Who cares if we are eating under a huge highway type billboard.  It just adds to the charm of the place.
Seth, the Exectutive-Chef helped us with our food choices several times, even though the kitchen was busy.  A very nice touch.  The service was excellent as well.

Pros: Fresh, Delicious, Inventive
Cons: Next to a busy road
cameraphonevegan
cameraphonevegan

My Fave Vegan Restaurant!

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2011

I absolutely love Darbster and am SO happy that it has secured a foothold in south florida. Chef Seth (of Sublime's heyday) is truly gifted, and has brought some of that NYC penchant for food over to Lake Worth. Yay! This is a place you can truly safely take the omnis to!! :)

see one of my many glowing reviews here: http://cameraphonevegan.com/2011/04/18/sunday-dinner-darbster-wpblw/

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, cute restaurant
Cons: specials get a little pricey
daveoz
daveoz

One of the Best!

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2011

We have been following Happy Cow's recommendations for a couple of years now, and we found Darbster to be one of the best yet. The menu is varied, all of the food is delicious and to top it off, it is a non-profit benefiting animals. The wait staff is great and the chef came out and introduced himself to every table. We cannot recommend this restaurant enough!

5five
5five

• raw

Happy happy kids...

5 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2011

My Husband and I took our two girls to dinner at Darbsters yesterday. The kiddie menu is limited but the girls ordered Mac & Cheeze and Chikn' Tenders served with french fries. They not only love it but were curious enough to ask the waitress how it was made. My husband and I ordered the special; Raw Korean BBQ Burger on Flax and the Spicy Dragon Sushi Nori Roll, bothe were amazing. We ended our dinner experiance with dessert x's 3..blueberry cheese cake, blackberry (i think) cheesecake, the chocolate mousse. I can't wait to go back !!!!

Jennyface
Jennyface

AMAZING!!

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

I was visiting my grandmother in Delray Beach, and found Darbster through this website. After reading all of the rave reviews, I knew I had to go! My grandmother didn't know what vegan food was, but she said that she would try it. We ordered the palm cakes and a Caesar salad (!!!!!!! my old favorite!!!!! my first Caesar salad in years!!!!) for an appetizer. SERIOUSLY GET THE PALM CAKES. They were one of the most delicious things either of us had ever had! For our meals, I got a shepherd's pie (special dish) and my grandmother got a burrito. Both were excellent. We ordered a carrot cake and the raw chocolate mousse for dessert. The chocolate mousse was soooo so rich, and delicious! I took the leftover home, and ate it the next night. It is all outdoor seating. For some that is a pro and for some a con. I enjoyed it. People can bring their dogs. There was also a gentleman singing and playing guitar when we went, and we liked his music a lot. Long story short, DEFINITELY make a trip to Darbster if you can!!

Pros: excellent food, outdoor seating, good prices
meroe05
meroe05

Soooo Delicious!!!!

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2011

Okay, even my self proclaimed carnivore husband likes this restaurant. Unbelievable staff! Delicious FOOD!!!! Reasonable prices. I want to eat there every day! And so many choices. I love the raw and cooked items. YOU MUST TRY THE PALM CAKES!!!! I know... I'm a bit too excited about this, but I just love them. And their little dog, too. ;)

Pros: Delicious food, Great atmosphere, Fantastic staff
Cons: Eat too much, Want to try everything
bangarang
bangarang

An Excellent Birthday Brunch

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2011

I was visiting family in the area and I insisted that we go to this restaurant for my birthday even though my parents are not even vegetarian. It's on a busy road, but still manages to feel tucked away, intimate. The scenery was beautiful and the musician they had playing live sounded lovely. The staff was very friendly, patient, and helpful. We all enjoyed our food. It was all excellent!

Pros: delicious food, beautiful surroundings, friendly staff
beticita
beticita

Like it!!

5 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

I was coming from a road trip and we had the info about this restaurant from this website. I had the vegetable tempura, it was very good but maybe they should be a little less generous with the sweet chili sauce, it could be amazing that way. Then we had the Tempeh Reuben, it was very good and tasty, the lemonade with agave was excellent!. The concept is very good, a vegan heaven in my opinion. The customer service was outstanding!...the dessert? well, that what was a little disappointing. The mango tart was not tasty, did not taste the mango at all! and the texture of the crust was not right, it taste too raw and chalky. The waitress recommend another tart with chocolate that it was better but is not something I will order again. I will definitely go back if I am in the area but they might need to be a little more careful with the desserts preparation or just keep it simple!!..do not imitate desserts that if vegan ingredients are used might not have a good outcome.
Updated from previous review on Friday February 25, 2011
Updated from previous review on Friday February 25, 2011

Pros: food, customer service, concept
Cons: desserts
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Healthy Dining requires menu hacking!

4 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2010

Our first attempt to eat at Darbster was met with disaster as everything on the menu contains oil and we're on the healthy vegan Dr. McDougall diet. We went back to entertain our family and finally were able to hack together a healthy dish by getting a house salad and hoagie roll with apples and dijon mustard and then cramming the plain salad into the hoagie. It was quite fantastic. The place is really cute and on the water. I don't fault them for forgetting half our table's order since we order so weirdly. I'll definitely go back.

Pros: atmosphere
Cons: everything contains oil
consciousma
consciousma

Nice atmospher, raw food is better than the cooked

3 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2010

We got so excited to hear of this new restaurant when they opened, and went a few times. The faw food was good, the kale salad was really great. And great desserts. The cooked food was ok, the mock meat is Gardein right out of the package, and not cooked well.

Nice atmosphere

Pros: nice atmoshper, good raw food
Cons: mock meat out of package, cooked food is just ok
pedro08
pedro08

• raw

It couldn't be better

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2010

After a few successful dinners with my husband, the Ladies met for a great lunch. We called earlier to confirm the ten of us and a great table was waiting and Tiffany was there to great us. Some of us were new to raw and the items were described perfectly. We had a variety of raw/vegan dished all beautifully prepared and topped it off with one of each for desert. On the way home and at the Health club the next day, everyone was still raving about it.

amybzimmermann
amybzimmermann

Wow!

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2010

I can't say enough what a wonderful experience I had at Darbster this evening. Simply the best vegan/vegetarian food I've ever had! Unbelievable creations, one after the other. The palm cakes as an appetizer... YUM!! For dinner, the 'bacon cheezburger' and the rawvioli... Wonderful! And for dessert, carrot cake and chocolate mousse... OMG! I am still amazed that I just ate such an amazing guiltless meal and I can't wait to go back to try more of the menu. The service was fast and the servers are so friendly. Such an amazing stylish yet unassuming environment. Don't miss out on this gem!

Pros: Everything
danadoubleu
danadoubleu

Best Vegan Meal Ever

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2010

You must get the Palm Cakes. They will remind you of your crab cake eating days. Also the "tree" wings are to die for! I'm not a big fan of faux meats, but this is sooo good. The place is absolutely adorable and perfect for a date night :) I live almost an hour away from this place but it is totally worth the drive!

rockchick82
rockchick82

Amazing!

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2010

I was in town for a wedding and had already found this restaurant on Happy Cow so I was really excited to check it out! I wasn't aware that the whole restaurant is outdoors and unfortunately their air conditioners were down that they normally run. So needless to say in July IT WAS HOT! But I have to say, I wouldn't have missed this for the world. The food was amazing. I had the philly sandwich which was a fav of mine in my meat eating days. I have to say that I was in love with it! And the carrot cake was to die for! Even my meat eating mom loved it and couldn't believe that it was vegan. This is definitely a restaurant worth checking out. Even if you have to sweat your ass off to get it:)

Pros: Food!!!!, Excellent and Helpful Staff!!!!, Did I mention the Food!!!
Cons: Outdoors = Hot in Florida
sarmetta
sarmetta

One of the Best Restaurants I've Eaten At

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2010

It's hard for me to write a review of this restaurant, in the same way it can be difficult for me to write about music or visual art that I really enjoy. Using words that come to me first seem melodramatic, writing "I love it" is too vague. The menu, from my first visit a couple months ago, was already very good. It has, in a short time, transformed into excellence. They've adjusted the menu and even improved some dishes, such as the palm cakes, which were already a favorite. The flavors, atmosphere, service and even the people that tend to visit, all hit a standard that is very rare. The food sometimes even gets me almost a bit panicky because knowing that this is both vegan and so delicious...I want everyone to know. (Carl Sagan, when speaking about his passion for science said: "After all, when you're in love, you want to tell the world"). I wasn't previously the type to just stop by a bar or restaurant without companions. Here, even if I decide to go alone I don't worry because I seem to always be able to talk to people who are intelligent, driven, and full of good humor. On that note, it's a great place to bring companions as well. Darbster has a casual waterfront atmosphere with elegant dishes. Speaking of which, I haven't touched much on specific menu items, like the mentioned palm cakes, (shockingly delicious) raw tostada wraps, sliders, chile relleno, and the excellent specials, as well as the wonderful sides like the homemade french-fries or coleslaw, and on and on, because it's too difficult for me to narrow it down for a brief review. Take this as a general review on quality, and other reviews (or customers or staff) will be able to help you decide what you may want to try when you visit. I hope you get to experience Darbster soon!

Pros: Delicious Vegan Food, Excellent Staff, Friendly Atmosphere
runnergirl
runnergirl

• non-vegetarian

A Marvelous (and tasty!!) Experience

5 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2010

I had the opportunity recently to eat at Darbsters. I was a bit apprehensive, as I am not a Vegan, nor am I a Vegetarian! What a wonderful experience in Vegan Dining! The food was fresh, delicious, well presented, reasonably priced, tasty, yet healthy. I started with a yummy Caesar Salad, followed by Palm Cakes which were outstanding. For dinner I had the special that evening, Lasagna. I couldn't even tell that it was made without cheese! Kudos to the chef!! I topped the evening with a Carrot Cake which I am still dreaming about!! Outdoor dining created a fantastic ambiance as well. The wait staff was very friendly as well. This was a wonderful tasty experience in Vegan Dining. I will be back!!

Pros: Exellent food, good value, friendly staff
WhiteRat
WhiteRat

I like Darbster

5 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2010

When I first heard of Darbster opening up, and its menu options, I wondered that if in time, it would overtake Sublime, who is slipping with their food and service, even if no one else wants to admit it. To be frank, I shouldn't have to apologize to my sister about the vegan food.
After a single bite of Darbsters menu special chicken sandwich, I laid all worries that this new restaurant wouldn't make it to rest. Darbster wouldn't eventually outshine Sublime. It already has.
The ambiance is beautiful, the type of beautiful where you can enjoy it in your soul as you relax in the open air seating. Everything is artfully designed and placed. The staff is very helpful and very friendly.
The food, for lack of a more non cliche word, is amazing. I rank amazing by how well I can cook the dish for myself, which is necessary to survive in this non vegan world. I was blown away.
The chicken sandwich I mentioned earlier was a blends of crispness, savory, creamy, tangy, melty flavors. And the chicken actually tasted like chicken. I had been long getting frustrated over the fact any tom and hank claim they have chicken flavored whatever and its really a tasteless lump of chew.
Before hand I ordered "tree wings" a buffalo style wing.
I admired the bowl of ranch dressing but wondered if it was really necessary for these mock buffalo wings. I mean, fake wings, is it really going to be spicy enough for celery?
Uh, yes. The sauce taste was exactly how I remembered it to be, the right amount of spicy and tangyness.
The menu is unique in that it has the normal comfort food that vegans do not have normal access anymore. Case in point, the buffalo wings.
Not only that, but you can order things that you yourself dream up.
All in all darbster is the most unique vegan restaurant in florida, with its waterside location, open air seating, custom food ordering and amazing food.

Pros: Great Food, Same price as sit down resturant, All proceeds go to helping animals
Cons: Sauce was a tad too thin, not open everyday
ilovenavy
ilovenavy

An Oasis

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2010

Darbster is excellent. Starting with attentive & friendly service, the Darbster experience has just begun...

Delicious and inventive menu items include:
Hearts of Palm Cakes as a savory modern take on the traditional crab cake are tasty and have beautiful texture.

Sliders made with Gardein and served with a rich dipping sauce make you wonder if you are really eating vegan. These bad boys are so good I placed a second order.

Special raw raviolis filled with nut meat mixture and served with a wickedly refreshing tomato coulis that is as comforting as delicious.

The raw chocolate mousse is so rich and decadent it couldn't possibly be a product of the raw food movement. The mousse is a religious experience!

Run don't walk, Darbster is a budding star showcasing food that is refreshingly delicious, inventive and healthy.

try2xl
try2xl

Darbster's

5 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2009

I had the pleasure of eating at this open-air restaurant twice last weekend. Although it was only their second week in business, the quality of food and the service were both outstanding. There was a great crowd gathered on both Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon - evidence that this venue is sure to be a hit! On Saturday evening I started with the vegetables tempura which was very flavorful. For my main course I had a special, chicken Parm with linguini, which was also excellent. We celebrated a birthday with carrot cake which was to die for! On Sunday we planned on just having an appetizer and then moving on for dinner elsewhere but the menu proved to be too tempting. I started with the house salad with the tofutti ginger dressing, then had the tacos and a portion of the palm cakes. Everything was amazingly flavorful and filling. The prices are very reasonable and you certainly get more than you pay for.

It is important to note that this is a vegan restaurant and I am neither vegan nor vegetarian. I was visiting West Palm Beach and was introduced to this restaurant by friends who had been there. I enjoyed eating here as much as I would enjoy any high-end restaurant. The staff and the atmosphere are welcoming and the food is worth the trip.

jlwood987
jlwood987

wonderful experience

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

I had been planning to go to Sublime in Fort Lauderdale when I was on vacation in West Palm. When looking for directions on happy cow this new restaurant popped up and we decided to go there since it was closer. I have never been more happy to change dinner plans. I took my in laws to their first vegan restaurant and my husband. We started with chips and salsa and guacamole. Salsa was a little spicy but cooled with the guac, very complementary. We also had the tempura veggies and my father in law raved about them. For our entrees, I had darbsters chicken which I enjoyed, non-vegans found it a little boring. We also tried the hearts of palm cakes, the southwest wrap and the veggie burger all with positive reviews. They said mine was the worst. Of course we had to have dessert and tried everything on the menu. I can't say enough about the cobbler and the carrot cake. I really enjoyed the whole meal and my meat loving family said they would go back. Thank you for a wonderful experience.

Pros: too many to count
Cons: Small veggie burger, smallish sides
ellen and alan
ellen and alan

Finally open and serving great food

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2009

Loved the palm cakes and chickn wrap. Ice cream sundae was also terrific.

Service was fantastic and atmosphere really nice on the waterway.

Pros: Atmosphere, Service

Dear Owner and Manager of Darbster - West Palm Beach:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the West Palm Beach page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2013/08/28