Dandelion Communitea Cafe

Orlando vegetarian cafe and urban teas shop. Provides a friendly and relaxing environment. Find Sweet Tooth vegan goodies here. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly

First Review by lunabelle
Imriela
Imriela

So good

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2014

I'm so sad I didn't find this place until my last month living in Orlando. For almost 2 years I had no idea it existed. This place is an awesome little vegetarian place with a great selection of food. Their blue cheese sauce is the best ever, and I really wish I knew how to recreate it. I got it put on every wrap I ever got. They also have a good selection of teas to drink with your meal; or just to sip on while you're hanging out.

okwdvc
okwdvc

Absolute Favorite!

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

We just loved this place! The food was incredibly fresh and fabulous. The place has a great vibe. It really doesn't get any better. Will return often now that we have discovered this gem.

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere , Wonderful employees
janddburlison
janddburlison

Dandelion Communitea Cafe

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2014

My favorite vegetarian café of all. We live in IL and everytime we go ANYplace near Orlando we go there to eat. We went to Daytona one year and drove over to Orlando to eat at Dandelion Communitea Café. The food is great, the menu is awesome, the vibe is quirky and cute! Love it! Can't wait to go back.

Pros: Good food, Good atmosphere, Good selection
Cons: He overcharged me 2+ dollars bags/tea
bkurt01
bkurt01

Vegan Goodness A Short Drive From the Attractions

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2014

It's so worth it to get outside of the madness of the attractions, especially to find nooks and crannies of the city that you may never have visited before. This place was such a find - the crowds confirmed that! So many choices, too! We started with the nachos and I had the giddy'up in a bowl as my entree. Everything was great! The cozy vibe is nice but a bit more elbow room wouldn't hurt. We'll be back!

Pros: Yummy and bountiful options for vegs!, Innovative menu
Cons: A little tight on space
TraceyTrexlerJacobs
TraceyTrexlerJacobs

My Absolute Fav!

3 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

Dandelion never disappoints my discriminate palate for organic, plant based foods. I eat here at least twice a week.

Pros: organic, multiple vegan options, friendliest staffe

SeekerOfTheWay
SeekerOfTheWay

Oasis in the city

5 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2013

I was in the city to visit family for the holidays. I'm the only vegan in the family so I decided to stop here to have a healthy vegan meal before I checked in with the relatives.

Atmosphere is great, very relaxing, with a mix of art, yoga, hippie and new age feel. The menu was cute too and contained a variety of awesome selection of teas and vegan dishes. I ordered the black bean buritto with hot lemon tea.

There is seating inside or out and both are cozy and well put together. I ate outside where there are several picnic benches and plenty of space with shade.

The food and service were amazing! Nice folks and one of the best meals I've ever had! Reasonably priced as well and good serving sizes. I enjoyed the tea and the mug it was served in.

I will be back everytime I am in Orlando

Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 11, 2012

Pros: Vegan friendly, Great atmosphere, Awesome staff
lmf
lmf

Nice Place, Cool People...and Green Goddess

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2013

Seriously, Dandelion's Green Goddess dressing is one of the greatest things not only on their menu but possibly in all of life. They make it there and I believe it's a proprietary recipe since no green goddess I've tasted elsewhere compares. Dandelion has a great atmosphere with cool people. It's set in an old historic home with squeaky wooden floors, which makes it even better. The menu is quite extensive and, while technically being vegetarian, everything can be veganized upon request. They'll even ask without you having to volunteer. While I've tried nearly everything on the menu, the Giddy-Up wrap is tops for me. Get it as a wrap and not a bowl...trust me. Oh, and with lots of Green Goddess!
Updated from previous review on Friday April 26, 2013

Pros: Green Goddess, Setting, Staff
Cons: It tends to get busy at lunch
daveoz
daveoz

A True Gem located in a Wasteland

5 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2013

My wife travel several times a year and always use Happy Cow to find vegan and organic restaurants. We are so happy we found the Dandelion Cafe! We only wish we had eaten here at the start of our trip except near the end. We actually did not go to a business banquet our last night in Orlando just to come back! The food is wonderful. You can build your own lunch or dinner and have many choices. They take great pains in serving local and sustainable food. The restaurant is located in a small converted house that gives it a real cafe feel. The staff is very aware of the importance of healthy eating. They had just hosted Charlotte Gerson about a week before we arrived. This is a must destination for those wanting to eat healthy!

JulieWoodsPfeffer
JulieWoodsPfeffer

Amazing!!!

5 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2013

My husband and I are newly vegan. It is a life-style change that we adopted due to health issues. We have been having an absolute blast learning about new foods and especially experimenting with new places to eat. This is one of our FAVORITES! The atmosphere is delightful...the food is excellent and the priced are unbelievable. The first day we went, we had the nachos appetizer...which was on special for only $5.00. We couldn't fit another bite of food in! The fresh brewed tea is awesome! Hot or iced. We had the apple cinnamon. I wish we had one of these restaurants closer to home...but, we will go back asap! If you're in Orlando..don't miss it!!!

Pros: Great Food, Great Atmosphere, Great prices and service
Cons: Too far away from home
punzelda
punzelda

Best Vegan Spot in Orlando

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2013

In a city that seems like a long series of strip malls and chain stores, Dandelion is an oasis of indy excellence. We had the tempeh chili with vegan queso, which was outstanding: just the right seasonings, complexity, and texture. The staff is beyond friendly--they make you feel like you're a regular. The menu is filled with sumptuous choices, which friendly patrons were quick to recommend when we confessed to being newbies. A homey atmosphere rounded out the ambiance for what was a lovely dining experience.

Pros: fantastic food, outstanding service, nice vibe
VegSince12
VegSince12

Fresh, fresh, fresh & lovely

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2013

Food was simple, whole ingredients prepared in delicious combinations, attractively presented by delightful people in a charming space full of art and lovely touches. We ate in the garden!

Pros: fresh, local, organic, yummy!, great vibe
Cons: diehard meat-eating sister didn't like, she said it tasted like "twigs & leaves", hilarious!
Julie R
Julie R

OOOOOH SO DELICIOUS - LOVE IT

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2012

Might be my new favorite place! (I know I say that about every new place I try, but this really is!) Everything I love about it is mentioned in the header on their website ~ "Local, organic, eco-friendly eatery." It is the most charming place I have ever been. Located in downtown Orlando, just a block off a main drag, it is an old-house-turned-restaurant. The sheer charm of the inside, from the eclectic furniture to the amazing hard-wood floors, to the local art on the walls, is worth a visit. The people running it are just as charming - very nice, accommodating, and quick to explain everything. To say I love the atmosphere is an understatement. I like that they used real plates, glasses, and utensils; no Styrofoam. Unfortunately, I don't live in Orlando so I can't frequent it often.

Let's get on to the food. OUTSTANDING! I only tried one thing, and it was fantastic. I had the Hunny Mustard wrap (cashew encrusted tempeh strips with cucumber, tomato, white onion and tangy hunny mustard dressing). I left a couple things out, and they had no problem making it to order. It comes with 1 side dish and you choose from about 5. The tempeh was just so delicious! Might be best I ever had. The wrap was stuffed full of all these good eats, and it was plenty of food. You definitely don't come away hungry. I found the price very reasonable ($9.75; that was about the most expensive thing I saw). This is also a tea place; I had a glass of iced green tea - which was delicious (free refills).

You order your food at the counter and then it is delivered to your table. There are 2 big rooms inside with cool furniture, as well as plenty of outdoor seating. There is street parking and I didn't have any trouble finding a spot on a busy workday (no meters). There were a lot of people on their computers, so there might be wi-fi.

I will definitely go back when I am in the area, but would probably get the exact same thing. It was too delicious not to get again! LOVE IT.

Visited here again (November, 2012) and had another delicious meal - A wrap stuffed full of veggies and yummy tempeh. I love this place!

Updated from previous review on Thursday February 16, 2012

Pros: Delicious food, Cool atmosphere, Super-friendly
Cons: Not in my town :(
charlielass
charlielass

Home away from home

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2012

I started going here on a regular basis this year, I've met several friends here and I look forward to seeing them each week. Their food is wonderful, I've tried almost everything now, I can't say I really have a favorite.

Pros: friendly staff, great food, inviting
VeganSally
VeganSally

Loved It

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2012

Grungy, casual, low key vibe. We went for lunch and it was packed. The food was phenomenal. Simple sandwiches and wraps but they are done right. Judging from our meal and the food we saw coming out of the kitchen, I don't think you can go wrong.

If I only had one meal out in Orlando and I had to choose between Dandelion and Ethos, I'd pick Dandelion. Better tasting food and a homey environment.

Savannahfromalabama
Savannahfromalabama

Love it! Favorite in orlando so far.

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2012

Such a great find. There was a great selection of vegan food for my husband and I was able to make my food vegetarian by adding cheese to my chili. I am new to being a vegetarian and pretty picky and I had no trouble finding something to eat. The atmosphere was artsy and fun. The staff was super friendly and seemed really passionate about the restaurant. Will definitely be going there from now on.

Pros: great selection of vegan food , great quality fresh food
Cons: drinks were just water or tea
TSM319
TSM319

Awesome Place

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2011

We frequently eat at Dandelion and Love it, they have a lot of vegan options and the food is healthy and delicious.

Pros: Price, Friendly staff, Great Food
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Excellent Food, Funky Little House

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2011

Black bean quesadillas, veggie chili, salads like "Eve's Revenge", wraps, bowls like the "Hunny Mustard" with cashew encrusted tempeh strips, sandwiches, desserts and a vegan Fluffer Nutter. What's not to like about this place? They also have a kid's menu.

Funky interior with a sort of circus like tent ceiling in one room and eclectic artwork. The restaurant is in what use to be someone's home. You order in the front room, there's a little dining space next to it, then there are two more rooms in the back.

Easy street parking out front.

KellyPeckham
KellyPeckham

Surprise Turn

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2011

Dandelion was a nice surprise, always on the quest for new restaurants and just happened to turn down the right street and stumbled upon this lovely home turned cafe. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the cooks are Angels :) We have yet to try everything on the menu but so far it is all extremly delish for a non-vegetarian..

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Great Artwork from Community Artists
Cons: Limited Seating
v3ggie
v3ggie

Satisfying lunch choice

5 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2011

This is a fun spot for lunch with a relaxing, artsy vibe. The stir fresh wrap and FLT (Fakin Lettuce & Tomato) sandwich were both good choices, washed down with iced tea.

jwarren7
jwarren7

Amazing, Fresh Food!

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

Dandelion has the best vegetarian food around. Everything is fresh and the creations on the menu are amazing. They don't use the fake meat options that vegetarians are so sick of. Instead they use real, natural food. And they have kombucha!

Pros: Real Food, Delicious , Friendly Staff
mindymaygan
mindymaygan

Love this place, Miss old recipes

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2010

I do adore this place so much. Currently obsessed with the Tempeh, Lettuce, Tomato sandwich with queso & chips as my side. The sauce on the sandwich is so good. Sunshine tea is great too. Oh and the Fluffernutter sandwich is incredible as well, but $8 for a child-like sandwich seems a bit ridiculous.

I used to go there for the chili & order both the peanut sauce and the queso dip on the side to mix in or dip. It was my favorite, besides the 'Giddy-up Salad' (which is pretty much the chili on top of a salad). But the last couple time I've been there, it just hasn't tasted the same. It's not bad by any means, I think they've just changed the recipe of both the chili and peanut sauce. I wish they'd go back to the old recipes, and make the change of cheese to DAIYA cheese because it is incredible, but all in all, it's a wonderful restaurant.

Pros: vegan food!, fast, cool vibe
Cons: higher prices for what you get, need to offer more seitan & tofu dishes, tight seating
wendymerissa
wendymerissa

Delicious food, lovely dining.

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2010

I frequent Dandelion often living in Orlando. I try and eat organic/local when I can and love supporting this place. These are my favorite salads:
Polynesian Banana Fantasy (organic bananas, walnuts, gnome raisins, celery, carrots, chickpeas and AMAAAZING indescribable tasty curryous dressing)
Abundant Harvest (soo much in this salad- the goddess dressing is to die for! Make sure you CHEW this salad well as you want those enzymes to break down all the raw veggies)

The Giddyup wrap is killer for 1st timers and non-vegetarians with chili, goddess dressing, vegan or regular cheese & blue corn chips & stuff. YUM!

Their organic teas are excellent (try yerba mate plus chocolate plus hemp milk!) & they usually have a tiny selection of vegan baked goods like cupcakes, oatmeal bars, macaroons.

If you're visiting you ought to eat here twice & try different things. :)

Pros: amazing, healthy, green food, awesome staff, convenient location
Cons:
tinyweirdfishes
tinyweirdfishes

fantastic

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2010

Dandelion Communitea Cafe is one of the most crucial places to visit in Orlando. They have amazing food (especially their chili), lovely staff and a very inviting atmosphere (you can sit inside or outside at a table or in the garden). Their menu is pretty limited, but they usually have a special that is always delicious, and they also have an very large selection of teas to match your every mood.

Pros: food, atmosphere, service
RangerChic
RangerChic

Favorite veg restaurant in Orlando

4 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2009

I was highly recommended the Dandelion Cafe when I became vegetarian this year. Everyone raved to me at how great the place was. They couldn't have been more right. I have quickly become a big fan of the Dandy and love going 2-3 times a month for lunch.

My favorite menu item is easily the Giddy Up. It is like nothing else I've ever had before and very delicious! Dandy also has a very impressive selection of teas which I love being a new tea lover.

The atmosphere is like nothing else. Reminds me of Asheville, North Carolina which I love. A small town sort of feel to it mixed with artsy individualistic touches.

If you are vegetarian, vegan or just want something great and out of the ordinary, I recommend checking out this place. I only wish I lived closer, as it's a bit of a ride out there from South Orlando.

Pros: awesome food, knowledgeable Staff, great atmosphere
Cons: kind of hidden away, limited parking, *
riotnikki
riotnikki

• non-vegetarian

Wonderful lunch place

4 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2009

This place had me at hello! First off, I love tea so I was in heaven. I must have had 10 glasses of iced tea while I was there. You get free refills! And you can have any of the daily offerings they have, so definitely mix it up. I could have sat here all day and just had tea!

But it is the food that really grabbed me. Here's what we had:
We each had a bowl of the daily soup which was French Onion when we were there. Oh boy was it good. It had about six kinds of onion in it. So flavorful! ($6 each)
We had an appetizer (great portion, enough to share) called the Tex Mex Trio ($8) which had an amazing pea guacamole, queso and black bean dip & salsa. Everything organic of course and super yummy chips.
I had the Eve's Revenge ($9) as a wrap and it was HUGE! Mom had the Fakin' Lettuce & Tomato ($7.50) which was her first experience with tempeh and it was pure love! We shared each.
On our next visit (and we will be back!) I am eager to try their homemade chili. It sounds so good!

Pros: great iced tea, adorable, yummy food
Cons: limited menu
cutie4x8
cutie4x8

Love it!

5 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2009

I love this place! The food is great. You can order anything and be happy. Also, the atmosphere is fantastic and the artwork is amazing!

Pros: great food, great atmosphere, great artwork
Cons: not an overly friendly staff, hidden location
azzureelove
azzureelove

Great Take out close to I-4

4 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2009

I stopped in to try this place, and the staff was very helpful. We looked through the menu selected a few things, and I got some tea while I was waiting. Everything was very good, and I highly recommend eating here. It was worth the detour from the interstate, and I will certainly return soon.

Pros: very tasty, several options, location
John Ward
John Ward

wonderful!

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2008

The dandelion has amazing hummus and teas. My personal favorites are the bean there done that wrap and the tempe blt (flt)...i always go with fruitier teas...hibiscus is too strong for me, but other people like it...try everything, you cant go wrong...and once you have they let you mix and match ingredients and homemade dressings and such...my mom is allergic to wheat, dairy, and eggs and has never been sick in her many visits. I try to go every time I'm in Orlando...the staff remembers you and is always friendly. Also understand the Dandelion isn't just about being vegetarian for dietary purposes, they are about sustainability and taking care of the planet...reduce, reuse, recycle...hence the tiny house they have converted into their restaurant. (reuse) The place is covered in painting from local artists' pieces on the walls to detailed designs on base boards and tables.
If you're on SR 50 turn in at the giant fish mural...you can't miss the lime green house :)
Consider parallel parking..it is free and there is always plenty if you can't fit in the tiny, designated lot.
Enjoy the food, enjoy the art, and overall, enjoy the company.

Pros: beautiful, tasty, im hungry
Cons: not, in, gainesville
DC Vegan
DC Vegan

A Charming Jewel of a Restaurant

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2008

I have family in Central Florida, and ever since it opened, I always ask to go to Dandelion when I visit.

The largest section is a list of salads that can also be made into a wrap. It comes with your choice of side, and a handful of pita chips. They've recently added a new quinoa of the day, and with my wrap, I had the quinoa tabbouleh. I am in love with the Stir Fresh wrap!

On my most recent visit, my mom had the Summer of Love rolls, delicious raw veggies in a rice wrap with peanut-coconut sauce. My sister had the special, a BBQ tempeh, but the texture of the tempeh was too soft, and she thought it could have used more sauce.

One thing I do like is a wide option of teas, tisanes, and elixers. The Root 66, which I had on my first visit, was sort of a flat root beer. This time, I got a tasty lemon ginger green tea (the special) sweetened with agave nectar, my liquid sweetener of choice.

One thing I don't like is there isn't much parking, and the lot seems tricky to navigate. Considering Orlando is a town where you almost must have a car, that's a bit problematic. But it shouldn't keep you from going to Dandelion. It's a clean, bright, and friendly restaurant, and they changed from counter service to table service between my two visits.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly atmosphere, Very vegan friendly
Cons: Limited menu, Very little parking
vegan sunshine
vegan sunshine

best hummus ive had

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

The happy hempy hummus is the best tasting hummus ever. The chili is good. My boyfriend loves the fresh vegan muffins.

Pros: live music ocassionally, hummus, tea selection
Cons: not 100% vegan, limited seating
darenw
darenw

Fantastic Tea!

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2008

Great food indeed, but the tea was a masterpiece! I also enjoyed the atmosphere with artworks by local artists on the wall. The menu item descriptions were also fun to read, with clever names and puns, but that is not why one goes to restaurants - just an extra bonus for new Dandelion visitors. The only two improvements i can think of are 1) make it bigger - the place was jammed with customers when i was there (a saturday afternoon) and 2) open a 2nd location near Univ. of Central Florida, where i work.

Pros: excellent tea, great staff, tasty fresh food
Cons: too far from work, crowded
eattolive
eattolive

Nice

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2008

I enjoyed the atmosphere of Dandelion Cafe. So many veggie restaurants have no atmosphere at all. This place is in a converted small house. They were out of a lot of menu items, but the staff was friendly. The hummus was unremarkable, but the other menu items I chose were very good, and there was a nice selection of teas. Overall it was a positive experience.

Pros: atmosphere, central orlando location, food was good
Cons: out of some menu items, hummus was ordinary
  • eattolive eattolive

I forgot to mention that the Chili was very tasty

JulBio
JulBio

Ok once in a while

3 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2008

Not sure if the vegan food items that they describe are 100% vegan since my lactose intolerant friend got sick both times we ate here (we went back and ate the same thing to give them the benefit of the doubt). The chili salads with vegan cheese are really good, but I also got sick when we ate there. I like the atmosphere, the staff is friendly, and their teas are good.

Pros: nice place, good teas
Cons: not 100% vegan
sylvangirl
sylvangirl

Very low standards!!!

2 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2008

This place is a big disappointment!! They used canned beans and other canned foods! I don't pay those prices and go to an all organic place to get devitilized canned junk!

Guest

Great when I'm in the mood.

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2008

The menu isn't very diverse, but they have a few items that are excellent. I love the hempy-hummus and one or two of their salads. My girlfriend is in love with their chili! She also said the banana sandwich they have is great too. I didn't particularly care for their teas... Definitely could add some more stuff to the menu other than salads and hummus (the typical vegetarian choices at other restaurants), but it's great when you're in the mood for just that. Great service, cool atmosphere, and very friendly!

Pros: healthy, vegan friendly!, great atmosphere
Cons: limited menu, some food is kind of bland, a little pricey
KNM
KNM

Try the chili

3 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2007

Dandelion has a great atmosphere, but I'm not a huge fan of the food. It's usually kind of bland, to me, followed by an overpoweringly bitter flavor. However, the chili is really really good and the people are really nice, so I keep going back.

Pros: chili, people, atmosphere
Cons: too much tahini
pupa
pupa

like at home

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2007

Ah, yes i am exited about this place, and it is all about the ambuance! Rustic old house that have been turned into a lovely dining with a lot of passion and care. the message is simple, we care. it looks like everything inside is carefully picked from different places and made to fit this exotic place, i dig the decore! and i do to work to a $20 million restaurant every day! great selection of teas, i would assume that is their passion! and the food is great too! simple to the point! clean pronounsed flavors! interesting home made dressing and exiting combination of flavors! if you're in the mood for hearty vegan steak dinner, don't go there, but if you want to visit a place with positive environment, don't hasitate, it's in the heat of Orlando and represents it great! Who said Orlando is all about Disney! Yack! that's disgusting!:)))

Pros: atmosphere, friendly, TEA
Cons: humm, not sure
psychodancer
psychodancer

great food

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2007

I like the food at Dandelion. I've been happy with everything I've ordered. It's great for what it is: light meals that taste great. BUT, what we are lacking in Orlando is a vegan restaurant that serves heartier fare. Meals like vegan meatloaf and mashed potatoes, vegan meatballs, vegan biscuits and gravy.... You get the idea. My wishes are being granted. A new vegan full service restaurant is coming to College Park. Not sure what will be on the menu, but I do know it will be the hearty fare my tummy is missing.

Pros: good food, friendly
Cons: kinda pricey
critterina
critterina

great tea selection

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2007

wonderful teas and service. menu was a bit small, but was pleased with my lunch. worth a visit!

Pros: teas
Cons: limited menu

I expected better

2 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2007

This place was not what these other reviews made me believe. I have had better veggie food at a steakhouse! A few salads and a bowl of chili is what you SETTLE for at non-veggie places, not at a place that has all these glowing reviews. There are better places to get a real vegetarian dinner instead of overly pretentious decorators serving mediocre food.

Pros: nothing
Cons: selection, half-hearted service, over-rated
lunabelle
lunabelle

A treasure!

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2006

The Dandelion cafe is a gem in this town. The people are warm and welcoming, the art is fantastic and the food is wonderful and nutritious. Communitea cafe is what they call themselves and it does feel that way. If you get the opportunity, check out their special events. As for food, the fluffer nutter, the chili, and the summer rolls-yum!

Pros: good vibes, gr8 food, artful atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Dandelion Communitea Cafe: