CLOSED: Dandelion and Burdock

Sower Bridge vegan restaurant featuring a cool, naturally lit room where the diners can look out for the resident ducks paddling on the river. Sunday lunchtime menu features main courses and exquisite desserts with choices including American-style pancakes and maple syrup. Small place. AUG 2014 REPORTED SHUT, CONFIRMED BY WEB MSSG. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, International

First Review by jonnie
chlough
chlough

Super Tasty.

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2013

Super happy to find somewhere that is totally vegan and has more of a restaurant feel than most others.

Menu was pretty varied. I had three courses and they were all amazing! Staff were helpful and the atmosphere chilled out.

Serves local beers too! We traveled 45minutes on a train and was well worth it.

Pros: Well priced, Tasty
veganbeef
veganbeef

Best Vegan Restaurant Ever!

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

I have visited Dandelion & Burdock numerous times in the past 8 years, but this is my first review.

The place is calm, airy, chilled and friendly.

The food is varied, excellent quality, imaginative, tasty and filling! I have never been disappointed by any of the meals I have had and have only praise for the chef. There are always plenty of gluten free options available and when I was going through a raw vegan phase, he was very happy to help.

The staff are helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about the menu.

There is a wide range of vegan beers and wines available.

This is a little gem tucked away in calderdale. The prices are also excellent!

Pros: Food, Environment. , Staff.
Cons: Really none.
veganevolutionist
veganevolutionist

Vegans from South Yorkshire Christmas Meal

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

Thank You to you all at D&B for a great night. Three of the party had never been before and at least one had never eaten at a vegan restaurant before so it was quite special to everyone for lots of reasons.

Pros: Food, Price, Ambience
Cons: Too far away

Stevie
Stevie

Dandelion and Burdock, Sowerby Bridge

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2012

This is one of the best places I've ever been to. Quite simply the food was superb.

Pros: Superb food, 100% vegan
Blodwyn
Blodwyn

fantastic place

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

I've visited D&B several times over the last few years and never been disappointed. My favourite is the cheesecake which is the best I've ever had. There's always a good choice on the menu and the service is friendly in a relaxed atmosphere. I love coming here and look forward to my next visit.

Pros: great quality good value, 100% Vegan, animal friendly customer friendly
Gijs
Gijs

One of the best, ever!

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2012

One of the best places I've ever eaten as a vegan! It's so great that the entire menu is vegan, so for once there is no hassle asking the waiter which dishes are suitable for me. The dishes were absolutely delicious, affordable and very surprising and inventive. The softdrink called Dandelion and Burdock, which was previously unknown to me as a Dutchman, was a very tasty surprise too!

Pros: great food, open late in the evening, friendly staff
samfox
samfox

Fantastic Unique Food

5 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2011

Myself, my partner and our 4 yr old daughter were working briefly nearby, when my partner suggested we had a look in D&B. We'd picked a relatively quiet night - so didn't feel guilty about studying the menu for quite a while before ordering. We opted for 3 different dishes, myself a pasta and meatballs dish (definately the most boring sounding dish) however it was perfect, cooked just right, with an amazing sauce - rich in flavour, really well presented with meatballs. A lovely touch was the parnesano ontop.

Before we ordered The owner/chef, took time to have a quick chat about the food, and genuinely seemed to be enthusiastic (something that if still present after several years is a really good sign I think).

The other two dishes looked amazing, and my partner and daughter were equally impressed. Also the owner was very good about making smaller meals for my daughter - without me asking he asked us.

The restaurant was clean, both in upkeep and design, the toilets were lovely and clean, tables well presented.

I will most definately be travelling the 60miles to go here again.

Their current wednesday offerings (forget details) but set price for 2/3courses sounds fantastic.

There are two reviews on here that aren't very positive. Whilst we have to accept opinions, I suspect they are mistaken. Because both the waitress and owner were lovely to us without being OTT and answered all questions with depth, and enthusiasm.

Pros: Enthusiastic and polite staff, Changing menu monthly, Amazing imaginative food
Cons: Couldn't see any.
Jaine
Jaine

One of the best, anywhere.

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2011

D&B has become a firm favourite, and many of us travel over from Manchester as often as we can. Most birthdays, celebrations and random days out involve a trip to D&B. It's totally vegan, and the chef, Dave constantly works to produce new, fresh and exciting food with a menu that changes Monthly. Particular favourites for us are the breakfast brunch dishes on Sundays, the huge and delicious salads full of things like walnuts, avocado, mango, chipotle tofu, and the amazing and unrivalled cheesecakes.
The staff are very friendly and efficient, and there's nothing they wont do to help if they possibly can.
As a group, we've eaten in places all over the world, and D&B remains our yardstick for good food.

Pros: Great food., Changing menu., Fantastic staff.
estefinparis
estefinparis

A gem

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2011

We had read rave reviews of Dandelion and Burdocks on different blogs and rented a car while staying in Liverpool just so we could go eat there. The restaurant was warm and welcoming in spite of the rainy day outside (although the kitchen is located in the middle of the eating area and the exhaust system got a bit loud at times). The food was simply outstanding, one of the best vegan meals I've ever had (and by the way, tofu had little presence in the menu). We went for a pea and mint soup, beetroot and pepper cheese tower, cauliflower waffle and caribbean burger. All were delicious and imaginative. The desserts were absolutely great, best strawberry cheesecake I've ever had and the cherry cake with chocolate ice cream was also fabulous. Staff was very friendly and helpful. So worth the trip!! Can't wait to get the chance to eat at D&B again.

Jonathan Smith
Jonathan Smith

Stylish restaurant

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2010

A very stylish dining with french windows overlooking the river serving an entirely vegan menu. They've abandoned the concept of courses and the menu is simply a list of smallet/larger & sweet/savoury dishes. Choose whatever you want. I have to take issue with one reviewer - the menu isn't entirely tofu based but features lots of seasonal fruit & vegetables. To say "there's no milk, even if you want it" is a helpful as saying there's no meat! The soya cappuccino is excellent! The food is flavoursome & well presented. This place is well worth a visit.

Pros: Flavoursome gormet food, Good wine list, Nice dining room
Cons: Sowerby Bridge - not nice
deerfold
deerfold

Several meals

5 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2009

Was surprised to find a vegan restaurant in Sowerby rather than Hebden Bridge but having had several meals here it's becaome one of my favourite restaurants. What I shame I moved from just down the road before they opened. Still, it's worth a bit of a trek - I've impressed several meat-eaters there.
Menus seem to change fairly regularly - I'm never quite sure what will be available but it's always good. Be aware that Saturday / Sunday brunch is not a hurried afair - lovely if you're not in a hurry either, stressful if you are. Your (and my) only problem is finding any other reason to go to Sowerby Bridge. My tip is to finish a summer stroll along the canal here or combine it with a trip to Hebden Bridge, 9 minutes away by train.
Easy to find when you know where it is (opposite lloyds bank), but I'd been pasing it for 2 years without knowing it was there.
Now I just need to think of my next excuse to be in Sowerby Bridge when it's open.

Pros: Great for vegans, Good prices for the quality of food, Very friendly staff
Cons: Tucked away in a corner, Not bargain basement prices
xmlkid
xmlkid
  • non-vegetarian

Splendid

5 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2008

Not sure which side of the bed the reviewer below got out of but I've been going to D&B for the past few years and have never once had anything other than great food. Meals are cooked to order with care, but it's never a long wait.
Not sure what the milk comment is either, I've always had a latte whenever I've gone and that's a bit tricky to do without milk.
El Gato Negro in Ripponden isn't a bad restaurant if you like sitting on chairs from a primary school and being fed overpriced tiny dishes with people who have parked their SUVs on the double yellows outside. Not my kind of place, perhaps it's yours.
Still, live and let live. The Biryani I had last month was devine at D&B, the wraps last week were delicious and the Sunday brunch in between those was very tasty.
Make no mistake, D&B is somewhere you'll find a great choice of food, carefully prepared, well presented and with friendly service.

Pros: Delicious food , Atmosphere, It's in Sowerby Bridge
Cons: It's in Sowerby Bridge
ml3369
ml3369

Very poor

2 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2008

We've driven past this place a few times and it looks lovely so decided to go for Sunday lunch. It was virtually empty but the service was nonetheless very poor - slow to stop. Also do note this is a VEGAN place - which means no milk with a coffee even if you want it. That should be fine except that just about everything is Tofu based. Very unimaginative - for me this is the sort of food that gives vegetarianism/veganism a bad name. When the plates eventually arrived, one breakfast was cold, the toast on the other was soggy from sitting in some sauce on the plate. Food was tasteless and, well, tofu. Wouldn't go again. There's a tapas place a couple of miles up the main (oldham) road towards the motorway called El Gato Negro - this isn't Vegetarian but has plenty of vegetarian options including Syrian Lentils (vegan) which are stunning so I advise you go there instead.

• chlough chlough

This is the funniest review of a vegan restaurant I have ever seen. How dare they not give you milk, and how dare they have tofu on the menu.

• Jaine Jaine

Bit of an odd review. This is a vegan place, so of course there's no dairy milk, (as dairy milk is a particularly abusive part of the meat industry, no animal lover should touch it)but there's good soya for lovely hot chocs and coffees. There's also a huge range of vegan soft drinks, spirits, wines and beers.
    There's some tofu on the menu, but very little, and it's delicious. El Gato isn't very good for vegans at all, and really IS unimaginative. Lentils? Got a cupboard full, thanks.

• mark pop mark pop

I agree this is an odd review; as a regular visitor here I have never seen more than one tofu based main dish on the menu, often none at all. Tofu cheesecake crops up now and again in various flavours along with lots of other choices. Most of the food is freshly prepared as you wait so it can sometimes be a 'leisurely experience' but usually service is very good. Its a great place where you can take your friends veggie or not and the food is always impressive

K Harkis
K Harkis

Great little place

5 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2007

I love the food at Dandelion and Burdock. It is original and delicious and good value too. Brunch here at the weekend is one of my favourite things. My meat eating husband is hooked too!

flux
flux

Sublime

5 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2007

Great little vegan restaurant. The decor was minimal but stylish as was the ingredients and flavours of the dishes I had.

The Cuban Rum Banana Bread with ice-cream was one of the best desserts I've had.

Pros: excellent food, nice location, reasonably priced
Foxtrot
Foxtrot

Not very approachable

3 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2007

I really want to visit this place, but they are so unhelpful on the phone that I dare not risk wasting the journey. The website contains no info on the menu, and they wouldn't tell me anything on the phone either. I'm baffled by their secrecy.

Pros: All vegan
Cons: Rubbish phone manner, won't deal with enquiries, ...about menu/prices
  • isolde isolde

I work at the restaurant and am surprised you found us so secretive. Certainly when I answer the phone I'm happy to go into great detail. I imagine you called at a time when the chef/proprietor was bogged down with prep. Regarding menu info, it's a good idea to sign up to the newsletter following the link on the website, as we post monthly menus to all subscribed.

fuchsiaperfect
fuchsiaperfect

Excellent gourmet vegan food

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2007

I've been to D&B twice now, with my partner who is a confirmed meat eater. We both think the food is excellent - a wonderful mixture of tastes and textures. There's a choice of 4 starters, 4 mains and 4 desserts, and the menu changes every month. There's also a good selection of beer and wine. It's not expensive either - 2 starters, 2 mains and 4 lagers cost £32 (we were too full both times to even try the desserts!). Last night I had spicy ginger and lime patties with sour 'cream' and salad, followed by Southern succoutash and cornbread; my partner had the same starter and an eggplant, toamto and black olive pasty on mashed leeks and potato - brilliant! Nice premises and nice service too, quick and polite.

Pros: Excellent gourmet food, Good choice of meals, Nice atmosphere
jonnie
jonnie

Great place

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

If Dandelion and Burdock was closer to home I would go there quite often. I've visited one lunch time and two evenings and was very impressed with the ambience, presentation and quality of the food. The last time I was there I had a main course of smoked tofu on a root vegetable mash with collard greens. I have no idea how the collard greens and the mash were concocted but they were so full of savoury flavours I had to have dessert as an antidote. It didn't disappoint. The sundae of vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce was briming with fresh redcurrants, blackberries and blackcurrants. I should add that the champagne (by the half bottle!) was expensive but is among the best organic champagne I've ever tasted. The service was attentive but not intrusive and you can watch the chef at work.

Pros: Lovely dining room, Gormet vegan food
Cons: Restaurant Jazz played!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Dandelion and Burdock: