Serves meat, veg options available. Offers a tofu scramble for breakfast. Also has barbeque tofu sandwich, veggie wrap with chips, salads and smoothies. Soy cheese may be not vegan - ask. Price: Moderate more-less
American, Non-veg

First Review by louiselmoore
ActiveCaptain
ActiveCaptain

It should be 5 stars...

3 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2014

We live on our boat and seek out interesting, Vegan-friendly restaurants in each town we visit along the coastline. Dancing Avacado seemed like a nice place although we wished they were open for dinner. We re-arranged our day to get there for lunch.

The staff is friendly and helpful. The food was fantastic. We split a V-BLT and a Vegan Iguana burrito along with two cups of the Vegan soup of the day. The food was exceptional. I was thinking through the meal that this place should get the maximum number of stars allowed. I accept that their menu has vegetarian and meat dishes for others - they need to survive as a restaurant in a non-Vegan world. That was all OK with me.

What killed one star for me was the checkout. It literally took 10 minutes to pay our bill. The problem is that there is one cashier who handles take out orders and all payments. Because we were forced to go for lunch, multiple people were waiting for take out including one poor woman who had about 6 orders from different people all paying separately with a handful of credit cards she brought from her office.

That's really poor guys. Fix that. Give the wait staff the ability to pay take my money so it all feels like a better quality place. It was such a shame to put a negative end on an otherwise great experience.

Pros: Food, Wait staff and owner friendliness, Interesting menu
Cons: Paying the bill
Penelope
Penelope

Ok for a town with so few options

2 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2013

I've been really disappointed the last few times I've been to Dancing Avocado. They do have a few vegan options, but they recently changed the menu and the choices have declined. They don't serve breakfast after 11 or 12, so they won't make simple things like a tofu wrap for lunch. ALso, they don't have soy or almond milk, so if you go for breakfast, you're drinking black coffee. A few small changes would really improve the place. Now that more options are popping up in the Daytona area, I choose to go to D.A. less and less. I'd love to go back if there were more options.

Pros: Some vegan options, Quirky decor
Cons: No non-dairy milk for coffee, Minimal vegan options, Lack of options later in day
reneeindallas
reneeindallas

Good option in the area

3 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2013

If you are in Daytona this is a good place to get a fresh pressed juice or smoothie or something to eat that won't ruin your day at the beach...depending on what you order!

I had a fresh juice. It was good. 12 oz for $5.50 and a salad "with a topping" which means you can pick from one of their topping selections. I got the falafel, which was made inhouse and very good. It was $12. You could get a "naked salad" for $9. The salad was a little smaller than expected but they gave me 3 falafel which were hot, fluffy and very good. They have vegan dressing options but know if you order 2 to try them they will charge you an extra $.50 without warning.

I'd go back if in the area.

Pros: Great Falafel, Lots to look at, Healthy Options
Cons: Prices a little high
Lettuce Muncher
Lettuce Muncher

Good food for herbies and carnies!

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

Went here with my meat-loving father-in-law and his family and we all left happy. There is covered outdoor seating as well as plenty of room inside. I found the decor pretty tacky, lots of "kitchy" stuff all around and very cluttered, but the food was good. Three of us got the Earth Burger, which was messy but delicious. I also got a carrot-ginger juice and it was great. The waitress was patient and was very specific that they take great care to keep meat separate in the kitchen. Vegan items are clearly labelled. Bathrooms were clean and even had diapers available. I did notice a person at the table next to us had her tiny dog with her, which was sitting on her lap and nosing the table. We ate outside but you had to walk through the restaurant to get there so I'm not sure how that was okay. I wish they didn't use disposable cups and plates for dine-in but definitely would eat here again.

Pros: Good Food, Lots of Choices, Clean Bathroom
Cons: Cluttered, Pets at table, Disposable Cutlery
miss_amandaa
miss_amandaa

Highly Recommended!!

4 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2012

I have loved everything I've had at the DAK! I make my boyfriend take me on his days off... (they close early which is the only bad thing). Since my BF is a non-veg this restaurant is great for us. I usually get the earth-burger +avocado and -cheese which is out of this world! My non-veg bf gets the dave burger which he says is one of the best burgers he has had in daytona beach. even their hummus wraps are delicious. I love the atmosphere and the servers are ALWAYS polite!

Pros: Veg-Friendly, Cool Atmosphere, Great Value
Cons: Closes Early

laloba64
laloba64

Good for "mixed" eaters

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2012

My husband is an omnivore, I'm a mostly-vegan who will eat vegetarian when no vegan options are available. In other words, I eat a plant-based diet but I'm not a purist. I don't dissect every single bite of food when dining out nor do I ask to see nutrition labels. I realize that when dining out, I've got to give myself some leeway and make the best choices possible.

That being said, I have enjoyed both times I dined at Dancing Avocado Kitchen. The food was reasonably priced, fresh, and tasty. The waitstaff was prompt and friendly. The menu was varied enough for my vegan daughter, my carnivorous husband and myself. The atmosphere was pleasing to the eye, bright and clean.

Absolutely no complaints from me, looking forward to my next visit!

Pros: menu, veg options, friendly staff
brainyblonde
brainyblonde

• raw

Great name so so food

2 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2008

I rarely make it to this place since they close at 4pm on the days they are open. Granted it's good to have a place that has some veggie choices here in town. But they just don't seem to be a "conscious kitchen" and did not make the article (of the same title) that I helped write about restaurants in our local area. Their salads are ok (but from what I was told when I asked there not organic) the fresh squeezed carrot juice was fine (again told not organic) but the smoothies are made with ice and sugar (not cool) and the ambiance reminds me more of a burger joint. When I have 100% vegan places now right in Volusia I can go to (minutes from Avocado Kitchen) I'll definitely be going there instead. Plus the *other* places are open way past 4pm...

Pros: veggie choices
Cons: bad hours, not organic, not a consious kitchen
Daytonaveg
Daytonaveg

so-so

2 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2008

I like that this restaurant offer some decent vegetarian options. I've been there on several occasions and the food is so-so. On one morning when we were there eating breakfast a worker was spraying bug spray INSIDE the restaurant as patrons were eating. It wasn't packed, but they had guests at a few tables. We actually started gagging from the chemical spray, it was awful. Bad move on their part. We complained and they didn't charge us for our food. Good thing, because we left with half of it still on the table. The chemical smell took over the restaurant and we couldn't finish eating. Other patrons walked in and turned around and left when they smelled the place. I would also agree with the other posting that the place is cluttered and somewhat dirty. Overall: so-so food, not a good atmosphere. Once I went in there for the BBQ tofu sandwich and they were out of tofu. How does that happen?

Pros: vegetarian options, raspberry iced tea
Cons: cluttered, dirty, bug spray during business hours
vegan sunshine
vegan sunshine

VEGANS BEWARE!

2 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2008

Their soy cheese is NOT vegan! I have asked to see the package several times, and they simply REFUSE to show me! One lucky day I asked our KIND waitress and she told me the brand they use is Veggie Slices! Veggie Slices are lactose-free, NOT vegan! I proceeded to give her a list of vegan cheeses and she said she would look into it, but demand to see the package before ordering! Also to the right of the register they have a section for
"Vegan Snacks" beware! Again, I found many things with dairy in their ingredients list! I told the guy behind the counter and he just shrugged. READ ALL LABELS! Happy dining.

Pros: tofu scramble
Cons: "vegan cheese" not vegan!
louiselmoore
louiselmoore

cool place w/ great options

4 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2008

I just wanted to add a review for the avocado kitchen because I saw that it only had one written about it that was not very favorable; and my experience has been much better. This is a very hip local restaurant, with cool decorations (like mosaic stones on the the door handles at the entry) and great food. Being vegan, I am always happy to find any place that makes a tofu scramble in the morning, and this one does. Plus, for lunch, they have a BBQ tofu sandwich, or they have veggie burritos - and they can substitute soy cheese for regular. I have enjoyed everything I've had here, loved the atmosphere, and found the people very friendly.

Pros: cool, hip atmosphere, soy cheese option, tofu scramble, BBQ tofu sand.
Cons: none
Guest
Guest

Okay, better than nothing

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2007

The Avacado Kitchen is a bit disapointing. They have a decent menu and decent food, but the place is dirty and cluttered. And the wait staff isn't the nicest. I've eaten there quite a few times now, simply because there are limited vegetarian restaurants in the area. It had the potential to be great, but is being weighed down by a cluttered, dirty and dark dining area.

Pros: vegetarian food selection, good location, veggie breakfasts
Cons: dark, dirty diner, very cluttered with junk

Dear Owner and Manager of Dancing Avocado: