Damodara

Krishna cafe. Ethnic and artsy atmosphere. Address ул.Глинки, 19. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Western, Indian, Hare Krishna
Glynki Street, 19 (opposite end from Moct City Centre Shopping Mall)
Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine 49000
+380-56341628

Open Mon-Fri 10am-9pm, Sat 10-9pm.

First Review by Stevie
Stevie
Stevie

Damodara, Dnipropetrovsk

3 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2011

I have just eaten here. It is a Hare Krishna type eatery. I asked what was vegan and was given a choice of 3 dishes on the menu, namely the dal soup, the salad with French dressing and the chick pea flour balls with rice. In my negotiation with the waitress, at one point it looked like 1 or 2 of the samosas were to be given the thumbs up but there was some sort of problem with them so I was told it was the 2 dishes listed above or nothing - everything else is geared towards lacto vegetarians.

My lasting memory of this place is how unhappy and unfriendly the waitress was. I tried to have a good run through of the menu with her trying to explore possible options. There's a while bunch of paneer dishes on there, there was no attempt on her part to present any sort of a vegan friendly non paneer option such as the veg kebab that is on the menu. The waitress isn't the most cheerful person I have ever encountered but she was able to direct me to the milk and cheese free items on the menu. I really want to support this eatery, at least if for no other reason than the limited choice of alternatives in Ukraine. With the experience I have just had though, that isn't easy.

There is an English menu available on request. Location is central near the Moct City Centre shopping centre. It is inexpensive. Less than 40 grevny to eat through the entire vegan menu of the restaurant. I also have no complaints with the cleanliness although I haven't used the loo.

Despite the limitations of this place, if you are in town then I strongly suggest that you make the most of this place. If you are lacto veggie then there is plenty of choice. If you are vegan veggie the choice is much more limited but at least you can eat with a good level of confidence that what you are eating is genuinely vegan vego.

Pros: 3 vegan dishes available (better than 0), Inexpensive, English menu
Cons: Not the happiest waitress, Limited for vegan vegos, Still not the happiest waitress

Dear Owner and Manager of Damodara: