Chinese name 大佛寺素食阁. Large air-conditioned veggie restaurant with 300+ seats. Re-opened after renovations, Jan 2013. Has another location in Hui Fu Dong Lu. Some dishes contain dairy. Directions: Located opposite Grand Buy Shopping Centre entrance, nearest subway station is Gong Yuan Qian. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese
3F, 27 Xi Hu Road, Yuexiu District (Beijing Road)
Guangzhou, China
020-83302126

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by veggieyogini
Minni
Minni

So-so

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2013

I wasn't inspired by this restaurant. I've visited many Buddhist vegetarian restaurants adjacent to different Buddhist temples, and found this place only so-so. The ambiance was very bustling and the place is a little hard to find. Follow the instructions by the reviewer below!

Food here wasn't great, first of all it's not vegan, they use dairy in many of the dishes, like sushi. Putting cheese in sushi I find really unnecessary. Other dishes weren't great either. This restaurant isn't the cheapest there is, but the portions are big, so you could order one dish less than normally in a Chinese restaurant.

Cons: not vegan, hard to spot, food's not great
Vojta.m.ck
Vojta.m.ck

Nice place, good food, not easy to find

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2013

We had dinner here with my girlfriend and everything was delicious. Just the sushi could have been better, juicier. The staff didn't speak too good english, but there's an english menu - although, without prices on it.

Dishes were about 30 - 40 RMB, so for a nice 4 course dinner we paid 130 RMB. It was worth it.

We had difficulties to find it at first, but managed to find the place by showing local people the address in chinese.

If you will stay on Xi Hu Road and find number 27, as address says, you will find a locked door.

What you need to do to get there is: When walking down Xi Hu Road in direction to Beijing Rd, you will see a Converse store on the right side of the street. You take the next possibility to turn right, walk for about 50m and on your left you will see the entrance of Dafo temple. You turn left into to temple complex, walk straight across the place into a very small street, turn right and left around the corners and you're there!

Pros: place, tasty
Cons: not easy to find, english menu without prices, not too good english spoken
proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

large selection

Posted on 05 / 22 / 2013

it is a bit difficult to find, tucked next to a buddhist temple and flanked by a towering building (maybe a mall?).

anyway, once you locate it, you will be happy you made the effort. the selection is rather large, so you have many choices. i was with a friend that lives in guangzhou, so i didn't get to see an english menu, but all the items had pictures of the food.

we shared a large bowl of soup, that was amazing. it had mixed vegetables in a sour coconut like broth. we also shared an appetizer of fried vegetables made into thick crackers. they were a little oily. and, for our main meal we shared a dish of taro root, soy meat, and greens in a brown sauce. the serving sizes were large too.

if i make it back to guangzhou, i will definitely eat here again.

Kit117
Kit117

Amazing Place to Eat!

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2013

I used to love eating sashimi before I became a vegetarian. And I thought it was something I would never have again after I converted.

I would be wrong - this restaurant actually had completely vegan Japanese sashimi and it was delicious. I couldn't tell what vegetables I was eating but I absolutely loved it.

This place is a haven for vegetarian travellers in China where it is extremely difficult to find vegetarian food.

Also the place is actually located in the complex of a Buddhist temple right in the bringing road district (one of the most popular districts of Guangzhou). So the location is fabulous. The food is to die for and the service - eh it could be better.

I would go to this restaurant every time I'm in Guangzhou - no exceptions.

Please be sure to ask for the English version of the menu as their regular menu is only in Chinese. The text only English menu is a good way to reference with the Chinese menu as it has pictures of the food to match.

Pros: The location. , Quality of food. , Reasonable prices.
Cons: No tissues, water, etc, Hard to communicate with staff.
Hosdan
Hosdan

Good food at good location

Posted on 10 / 13 / 2010

Located at the famous shopping arcade Beijing Road, good service, choices of menus, sometimes have to queue for lunch. big portion :D

Pros: Big portion, good price
Cons: -
veggieyogini
veggieyogini

good food, nice atmosphere

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2010

good food, big portions, good value, friendly service, no english spoken but they have picture menu. a little bit difficult to find, on the first floor.

Dear Owner and Manager of DaFoSiSuShiGe: