Serves meat, veg options available. Popular cafe that makes predominately vegetarian food with breakfast dishes, western food, Thai noodle and curries, plus desserts, juices and smoothies, coffee with soy milk available. Closes early on Sunday. Near Moon Mueng Road corner, opposite Juicy4u - please send exact map coordinates to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Western, Thai, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by claireabella
Baldwin471
Baldwin471

A mixed bag

3 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2014

Firstly, I'll preface this by saying the food was pretty darn good.

But that isn't what annoyed me about Dada Kafe. It was the staff. Now, I know it's not a nice job, being a waitress/waiter, but there are plenty of other vegan friendly places here in Chiang Mai, and every single one of them has had better waiting staff than Dada Kafe.

Firstly, I saw that they had Bruschetta on the menu. Now I love Bruschetta. So when the waiter came over I asked for it, but minus the butter it usually came with, for obvious reasons.

He then asked me why I didn't want the butter, which you just don't do to begin with. I explain, in Thai too, that I'm vegan, so I don't eat any animal products or by-products. He then replied with "it's good butter though". At that point I just gave him my meanest eyes (Haha) and he wrote down no butter in the end.

Onto the food, I had the bruschetta (Minus the butter), which was really good. Fresh tomatoes, crunchy bread. Good stuff. No need for the butter at all. I also had a plate of fried vegetables, Thai style, which was really tasty, and a plate of brown rice, which was ok.

I also tried the Mango/Orange/Banana/Passionfruit smoothie, which was actually very good. Thumbs up for that one.

I then turned around and noticed the same waiter from earlier just sat on my rented moped with the helmet on his head, and pretending to drive it to impress his buddy. Very immature, and could've easily damaged it and I would've had to fork out to repair it if anything happened. Just unprofessional to be honest.

So all in all I'd probably avoid this place from now on.

Aum is a million times better, and a little cheaper, so try that instead.

Pros: Good smoothies, Good location, Tasty vegetables
Cons: Bad service staff, Expensive for Chiang Mai
Shalvah
Shalvah

Great place catering to Westerners

4 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2013

This place has great food and great friendly staff. I ate here probably 3-4 times a week for 2 months and after just a few times of eating there the staff would smile and greet me warmly as if I were a dear old friend they hadn't seen in years.

Their service is also better than most Thailand cafe style restaurants such as this one (keep in mind this is Thai service standards). I always find it a bit humorous to watch Westerners sitting around after their meal waiting for the server to bring them their check. Some people will literally wait for 30 minutes and then complain about how awful the service was. Just politely ask for the bill! It's pretty standard practice in Thailand to ask for the check when you are ready (rather than in the States for example where they bring you your bill before you're finished chewing).

They have an amazing selection of fresh juice (and smoothies)...including wheatgrass and green juice (you can get it unsweetened if that's your thing). The combinations there are really limited only by your imagination as they are pretty flexible and will make you whatever combination you want.

They also have sprouts! Like real sprouts. Sunflower sprouts. Their salads in general are huge portions. Their menu is huge and you could spend an hour just scrolling through all the possibilities. They have a huge breakfast selection (a lot of stuff with eggs like pancakes and omelets, but if you're not vegan, they always looked amazing when I'd see others ordering them). Then there's always the Thai food...of course! They also make a good veggie burger and sandwiches.

In case that's not enough, they also make their own kombucha and bottle it for take away if you're into it.

Overall this is a really great place. Clean food. Friendly faces. Great atmosphere in a happening part of the old city. I highly recommend it!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Vibe, Huge Selection of Veg-friendly options
Cons: Can sometimes be booked full
claireabella
claireabella

Almost fully vegetarian, very fresh and tasty

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2012

This cafe is incredibly popular and for good reason. The owner is European, friendly and is usually there. All the staff are great too. We ate there often, alternating with Juicy4U, which is literally just across the road.
Large deliveries of fresh fruit and veggies arrive daily.

The menu is varied with many Asian dishes, pasta, breakfast choices, enormous salads and the best smoothies you will find anywhere for $2. It's all really fresh and flavoursome. The vegie burger is wonderful but not quite as good as the offering from across the road. However, if it was a competiion between the two, Dada's coffee would win the caffeine award.

The tofu and veg massaman curry is one of the best I've ever had. Just make sure you check that it's vegan with the staff. (The owner assured me that it could be made vegan but some of the staff weren't so sure when I first asked.)

Salads are defiantly huge for one plate and is more than a meal really. Hopefully, avocados are in season when you are there too. I didn't get around to ordering the pad Thai but it looked good and was again a very generous portion.

The smoothie menu is huge. Go nuts! pop in just for a smoothie. My fav was almond, mango, banana. The berry ones are also great. Large servings make then very good value. Good luck if you choose a large meal and a smoothie...... You will be very full.

Free wifi is an added bonus. As is the soy milk and multigrain bread. There isn't anything to complain about at this cafe apart from them closing earlier than usual during low season.

Just a quick note... The location on the map isn't correct. The street is but it's almost on the far eastern point of the street, near the moat. If you can find the office for Elephant Nature Park, walk in away from the moat and it's a few meters away. easy to find. (If you respect and adore elephants, ENP is the ONLY place to visit whilst in Chinag Mai as it's the only true elephant sanctuary in northern Thailand. I'll post more details in the travel tips)

Dada is highly recommended. After one visit, you will be back. Enjoy :)
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 07, 2012

Pros: Healthy and fresh, Huge portions, Large menu
Cons: Busy during peak times, Can close early

Dear Owner and Manager of Dada Kafe: