On the 2nd floor of the Market, there are around 4 small vegetarian ("com chay") restaurants/food stalls. Da Lat town has other vegetarian places, too. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Vietnamese, Fast Food
Da Lat Highlands in Central Vietnam
Da Lat, Vietnam
n/a

Call for hours - tell us

• Cash only

First Review by beancurdled
beancurdled
beancurdled

Thanh Dam

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2015

When we were here, I'm pretty sure there were only 2 com chay stalls on the second floor of the market. We noticed another where the "chay" on the sign had been covered and they now serve meat.

Enter the at opposite end of the market to the roundabout and walk through the stalls selling delicious looking fresh veggies and legumes, then take the stairs up to the second floor. The stall that caught our eye immediately was directly at the top of the stairs - Thanh Dam.

The lovely woman who was working there gave us her card. As well as com, she does various varieties of noodles, apparently. She spoke exceptionally good English. We enjoyed a variety of different dishes from her buffet. It'd be impossible to get through all of them in one meal. My favourites were the jackfruit curry, battered eggplant, and a tofu fritter type thing. My partner raved about the fake chicken drumstick wrapped around a lemongrass stalk. We got some crispy seaweed and soy protein snacks to go as well.

Be prepared for a bunch of people to stop and ask you for money if you sit here. Maybe make sure you have plenty of small change in your wallet. Or a steely resolve not to give away any of your precious cash.

This has been among my favourite com chay in Vietnam. Unlike some of the others, all the dishes here were quite rich with robust flavours. Looking forward to eating here again at least once before we leave Da Lat.

UPDATE: After a second visit, I discovered there are more vegetarian stalls in the market - if you come up the stairs and you're facing Thanh Dam, there are two more directly to your right in the corner and another right over the other side, diagonally opposite Thanh Dam. That said, I never ate at any of the others!

Updated from previous review on Friday March 06, 2015