Da Fang Vegetarian

Diagonally opposite the Xiamen Institute of Technology. Bus: 1, Xia 2, 15, 18, Xia 20, 21, 22, 45, 48, Xia 50, Xia 59, 71, 96, 501, 503, 520, 531, 616, 809, get off at Li Gong Xue Yuan (理工学院) Bus Stop, then walk towards the way of Nan Putuo Temple, you will find the restaurant. Name is Chinese: 大方素食馆. Address in Chinese: 厦门理工学院斜对面. Most menu items are upwards of 30-40rmb per plate. Price: Moderate more-less
Chinese, Buddhist

Bob Sultan
Bob Sultan

Excellent Veggie Place in Xiamen

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2014

I was happy to find this place. I haven't had much luck in finding some of the other veggie restaurants listed for Xiamen. Xiamen, by the way, is a great place to visit, particularly the nearby small island of Gulangyu. Anyway, this place is large, clean, and bright. There are tables outside also. I ordered a mock pork dish (I like mock meats). I thought it was really nicely done. Each piece of mock pork was wrapped together with a piece of Taro using tofu skin. The sauce and other vegetable were tasty. I also ordered the lamb on skewers and that had a pleasant curried flavor. The Tsingdao was reasonable at 6rmb. So, I thought the place was almost a 5, and given that someone else gave it a 3, I thought I'd go for the 5. The other review mentions that the prices may have been hiked for National Day. I don't know if that's true of this place, but travelers in China should certainly be aware that hotel prices can be tripled for National Day. I paid a total of 53 rmb for my dinner with the main mock pork dish, skewered lamb, and a beer. So moderate seems accurate. There were two sets of monks who ate there while I was there. The directions are quite accurate EXCEPT, it is slightly misleading to say that it is diagonally across from the Technology University. It is across from the Technology University, but you must walk a distance East on Siming South Road before you come to it. The location on the map looks exactly right.

VeganSoapDude
VeganSoapDude

Decent food, overpriced for National Day

3 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2011

I went here with a party of seven people during China's National Day. The food was pretty decent, what I've come to expect from China's vegetarian restaurants. We had a vegan fish dish, some fried noodles, some fake meats, and some soup. We did not get a lot of food (because it was very expensive, most likely the price had been inflated for the holiday). The staff was friendly enough and the food was decent. They do serve alcohol here.

Pros: Friendly staff, good food, serve alcohol
Cons: Expensive!

Dear Owner and Manager of Da Fang Vegetarian: