Second floor restaurant near the Kowloon Mosque/Tsim Sha Tsui MTR Exit A1. Offers a choice of different set lunches (available until 5pm) plus other dishes such as dim sum and Thai food. Pleasant setup. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Thai, Take-out

First Review by Raydoggy
Stevie
Stevie

Cute Fei, Hong Kong

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2014

I ate here tonight with the Meat Free Hong Kong meet up group. No issues in this as a dining experience for me. Vegan friendly food that was tasty enough. No issues with atmo, service etc.

I'd struggle to particularly distinguish this place from many of the Chinese all vego places in HK. This was tonight to go to as a 1st time visit dining experience. Having been I don't see any particular reason to specifically make the journey back there to eat again. Having said that I would be more than happy to eat there again if it was the nearest all vego restaurant.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasty enough food
peas-full
peas-full

local restaurant, no tourists, good food, cheap!

3 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2014

We were staying at the Chungking Mansion and from there is a very short walk. Due to the fact that they have set menus for lunch (huge portion, cheap, fast service) we ended up having our brunch at the Cute Fei every day. Full of regular people on their lunch break, no tourist and almost no english spoken. A real buddist restaurant in town. We loved it.

Pros: cheap, location, no tourists
Cons: few english spoken
chiara
chiara

Unfair

2 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2014

Not good quality food, bad place sems old and dirty, especially the kitchen . We ordered the congee but was too liquid and dumpling but was wanton. They charged 10% service and 6 $ each for hot water and 5 $ each for using the dish where we ate. The place is not good value for money.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 23, 2014

JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

Cute Fei - Cute Place

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2014

I am happy to see "Cute Fei" listed on HappyCow.

Busy well established restaurant - directly overlooking the very wonderful & very green Kowloon Park.

Turn into Haiphong Rd. from Nathan Rd. (you pass a very clean & popular juice bar which I have used for 25+ years) start walking down Haiphong Rd. - the building numbering is good - "Cute Fei" is on your left side approx; 2/3 of the way down - the entrance / access is shared - it is in a commercial / office building - go up elevator or stairs to the first floor.

They have a large "Vegetarian" sign in their first floor windows overlooking the street.

Fine Chinese Buddhist Veg cuisine.

A family run business.

Some English spoken.

Usually very full of family groups celebrating birthdays, celebrating other anniversaries, or just simply boosting their "good luck" by eating veggie for a day.

Crazily busy on the 2 "Lunar" veggie days each month - best to book on those days.

Portions tend to be very large so it is best to visit in a group & share menu items.

If you are not with a Cantonese speaker be careful when ordering if you are a strict vegan.

Enjoy & write your Review ! ! !

jamescapsul
jamescapsul

Overcharged

2 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2014

We arrived late in the evening and notified we couldn't order from most of the menu. We were offered a few dishes, which when they came out seemed like cold leftovers. We were not notified of the price and due to the dishes and size assumed it would be cheap. When we received the bill we were shocked, as we were basically charged for full meals when all we got was a cold snack. I would not go there again.

• JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

Tip - take a Cantonese speaker with you! This is Hong Kong! I have been a regular at Cute Fei for many years. I have had some excellent meals there.

bonn93
bonn93

Good service but bland food

3 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

We stumbled across this place while walking and found it a bit tricky to find from the street signage - you need to go up some stairs, turn right and then go up in an elevator. The service was friendly and helpful. The waitress spoke quite good English and offered us (as Westerners) cutlery and cold water. The menu was a bit unclear. Only some items had pictures and others seemed to be repeated several times. I had the 'special roll' which was a creamy mushroom filling in a deep-friend tofu shell, and my sister had vegetables and rice. We both found our meals quite bland - my sister's was mainly just steamed green vegetables with no flavouring or sauce. Mine was also quite rich and just tasted of batter.

Pros: Friendly service
Cons: Tricky to find, bland food, unclear menu
BrentB
BrentB

Traditional Buddhist

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2013

Delicious, traditional Buddhist food. Pleasant setting. You may be asked to share your table with others.

Pros: Tasty, Friendly staff, Meet locals
Cons: No napkins
Knuckleheddd
Knuckleheddd

Good basic veggie protein

3 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2013

Not fancy, but very reasonable with great variety. Basic meat substitute stuff, which is OK for us. Staff is very gracious with limited English but that's on us.

Pros: variety, price, service
Cons: plain
iTom
iTom

Great Restaurant

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2013

I really enjoyed the food here. To get there, walk up the stairs and then take the elevator to the 2nd floor. The staff is very friendly and the menu is about a dozen pages.

The restaurant is small and very casual, but clean. I tried two dishes and both were excellent. The sweet and sour "pork" was tasty and had good texture. Most meat substitutes are soy based. The second dish, a fried spaghetti with black pepper and "chicken" was fantastic. I would get this again and I will try and go back here on my next trip.

Pros: Friendly staff, Big menu, Great food
Cons: none
larossi85
larossi85

Great Veggie Place

5 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2013

Hard to find, but once you do it's worth it! Try the sweet and sour 'pork' - amazing. The staff are so nice and friendly too.

watermeloun
watermeloun

Good portions and friendly staff

3 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2012

Asian style vegetarian restaurant. The staff is very friendly and helps you to fine the perfect dish. It's a bit pricy though but the portions are generous.

Recommended :)

Pros: good food, friendly staff
Cons: pricy, menu without pictures
Grapevine
Grapevine

GOOD TASTE GOOD PLACE

4 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2011

Situated on 2nd floor,what a great angle to view the green nature foliage in the park .
A good place to escape the crown too.you know..HK where pack of people in the small palce.
I was there about 2.30pm and only 2 customers had.
This was my 2nd time in HK but 1st time in Cute Fei.
I ordered fried rice ,the taste is good but was a bit salty for my taste buds personally.
Later,some steamed dumpling ,the owner was so considerate
to remind me that to caution as it was hot.
The dumpling's taste was delicious through it ready boiling hot.
The owner/woman that i meet was kind of familiar as she was the TV series actress but I still has a doubt and not believe if she the one or her sibling...???

Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 18, 2011

Pros: friendly , good taste, good place
flytheorient
flytheorient

Great Food!

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2011

Had a short 1 day layover in Hong Kong yesterday where I tried 2 places found on HC.net

Cute Fei is in TST (Tsim Sha Tsui) located on Hai Phong road near MRT station (very close to the Mosque).

Order a bowl of soup for myself and a guest...the soup was recommended by the waitress (owner?), it was bland. I'm sure there are other soups better but we just tried what was recommended. Also got a stir fried veggie dish with Broccoli, Cabbage and a few other things, very tasty...2nd dish was the grand slam..Some sort of "fish" with tom-yum sauce. The sauce appeared orangey and the fish was deep fried so it has a crunchy texture. Pics are uploaded for ref.

Only negative I have to report is the menu is "homemade" at best without any pictures. But at least it was in English.

2 persons, 2 dishes and a large bowl of soup for 210 HKD. Not bad.

I ate so much the table next to us with 3 elderly Chinese woman giggling and pointing to our table as they laugh amongst themselves. We didn't mind..the food was good!!

Pros: Fairly inexpensive, great friendly service
Cons: No pictorials on menu
L4Peace
L4Peace

We enjoyed Cute Fei

4 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2010

Super friendly staff. Huge menu. Yummy food. Casual environment, yet packed with local business people during lunch.

Tabby
Tabby

Good Food, Friendly Staff, Worth a Visit

4 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2009

We dined at Cute Fei on Lunar New Year's Eve and really enjoyed it. Cute Fei is located in a typical Hong Kong Kowloon building and you need to take the elevator to get there. Once we got off the elevator, stacked in the hallway were boxes of vegetables and supplies for the restaurant. I'm not sure if it was just delivery day or their kitchen was too small to accommodate all the boxes but we were a bit dubious about dining there after seeing that.

However, we were warmly welcomed to the restaurant and were seated immediately and quickly brought tea and menus.

It is a simple place, about a 60 person capacity and most of the tables are large family sized with a few smaller tables for single diners. Based on the publications located at the entrance, we gathered it is a Buddhist vegetarian restaurant.

The tables are covered in linen which is nice and in typical Hong Kong style there is a TV humming in the corner. Mind you, this being Hong Kong it's a huge flat screen TV.

The menu was in English and the waitress was friendly and spoke English surprisingly well. She was able to give us some suggestions on which and how many dishes to order.

Each of the three dishes we ordered were done well and the portions were generous. Three dishes would be sufficient for 4 people.

The Deep Fried Bean Curd was fresh and delicious and the oil it was fried in was clean. My husband ordered a Mock Lamb Thai Curry that was well seasoned and the vegetables were cooked al dente.

The complimentary dessert, Almond Jelly with Sweet Corn was were surprisingly good and I think it may have been made with real almond milk.

We left the restaurant satisfied but without a heavy feeling and we would definitely return and recommend it to friends.

Pros: Friendly English Speaking Staff, Great Food, Table Linens
Cons: A Bit Hard to Find, Noisy TV
Raydoggy
Raydoggy

Forget the rest, this is the best

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2008

An extensive menu, great food, good atmosphere, I love this place so much, when I'm in HK I eat here about 3-4 times per week. Just go there!!!!!!

Pros: Friendly, Cheap, Tasty

Dear Owner and Manager of Cute Fei: