Cushman Market and Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Cafe and store that offers hot vegan drinks, sandwiches, and salads. Daily soups are often vegan. Local and often organic products sourced, locally-roasted fair trade coffee. Artistic atmosphere with comfortable indoor seating. Has wi-fi. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, American, International, Non-veg

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Sarah P
jujutsuka
jujutsuka

grilled tofu breakfast sandwich!

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2015

Cushman is an early morning place. They only serve food until 3pm.

Their house salad is really good and always fresh, with beet shreds, avocado, and chick peas.

Coffee is great. Can sit for hours and do work. Occasionally gets crowded in the mornings and is better in the afternoon (everyone wants Cushman breakfast sandwiches).

Speaking of breakfast sandwiches. It's not on the menu, but here's what I order and they are happy to oblige: GRILLED TOFU breakfast sandwich on an everything bagel, with spinach, avocado and red onion. You can pick whatever veggies. This creation came out of the blue one day when I asked them what their vegan options were. The woman said not much besides granola with soy milk. I looked disappointed and she shrugged her shoulders and made something up that she had seen her cook make for another employee, "Well, maybe we can put grilled tofu on a bagel." Now we're talkin' !! I order it every chance I can get :).

Pros: flexible with menu, coffee great
Cons: closes early
Sarah P
Sarah P

fun, comfortable cafe and general store

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2011

I love a trip to Cushman for the chance to sit comfortably and enjoy the ambiance and hot drinks. There is colorful interesting artwork around the cafe space, and the seating area offers plenty of space to hang out.

I often have been just for drinks, and have thoroughly enjoyed the coffee, mochas, chai and teas. The staff have always been knowledgeable about items that are and are not vegan, and have made drink recommendations.

I have eaten Cushman's food several times in the past, and as I recall it was good. The menu items always look wholesome, though vegan choices do not abound. I still think Cushman is worth a try for the experience and enjoyment of the space. If you know ahead of time you will only have a few vegan food choices, and ample drink choices, you will not be disappointed.

Pros: great atmosphere, great hot drinks, locally owned, socially consious
Cons: location is not always convenient, few vegan food options

Dear Owner and Manager of Cushman Market and Cafe: