Serves meat, veg options available. Curry & Co is a sausage bar serving the typical dish currywurst (curry sausage) but has a few vegan sausage dishes, as well as a vegan ice-cream. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, German, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg
Brühl 4 (corner of Hainstraße)
Leipzig, Germany
+49-0341-99856739

Open Mon-Sat 11.00-21.00, closed Sun.

First Review by azur
azur
azur

Very very good vegan Currywurst

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2014

Curry & Co. is a Currywurst place which is not exclusively vegetarian/vegan, but they do, in addition to their regular meat sausages, offer two different vegan kinds of sausages. I'm usually put off by places selling meat sausages, but was very happy after I walked by this place and decide to try their vegan versions of Currywurst with fries. They have two different versions of vegan sausages (one is slightly reddish and has a smoked flavor - it's called "geraeucherte". The other one is greyish and is closer to an old, West Berlin style Currywurst - it's called "gebruehte"). Both versions are good, but I prefer the "gebruehte" one, it's much closer in texture and taste to a real Currywurst (at least how I remember it) than the other version. You also have a choice of different sauces. I tried both the regular curry sauce and the hot/spicy one. Both were good. The hot one, although described as only slightly hot, was actually quite hot for my taste. The fries were good too. All in all, if you haven't had Currywurst before, my recommendation would be to get the "gebruehte" vegan wurst with regular curry sauce and a side of fries. That combination is the closest I've ever seen a vegan version of Currywurst get to the "real" (meat) deal, and I should know, I ate lots of the stuff in my youth I'm sorry to say.

The best thing about this place is that they seem to have quite a lot of vegan customers. You don't feel like the "strange customer" when you order the vegan version. In fact, during the time we were there, I would say about 70% of the Currywurst orders were vegan.

Curry & Co has three locations in Leipzig by now, including one just recently opened on Karl-Liebknecht-Straße. See their web site for the exact locations. They also have a location in Dresden I think.

The atmosphere is nice, relaxed and clean. Staff was very friendly. At the Bruehl location, they have restrooms. Don't know about the other two locations.

All in all, this is a great place if you want to try authentic German Currywurst (or know it already, and want to relive it) without the killing part. I'm pretty sure I'll be back to this place almost every time I'll be in Leipzig from now on.

Updated from previous review on Saturday March 29, 2014

Updated from previous review on Saturday March 29, 2014

Pros: Good Currywurst, Lots of vegan business, Nice place
Cons: Not exclusively vegetarian/vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of Curry Co: