CLOSED: Curly's Vegetarian ...

Small diner serves breakfast all day, diner type food, sandwiches, and vegan cakes. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out
328 East 14th St (between 1st & 2nd Ave, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10003
212-598-9998

Open daily 11am-11pm.

First Review by Bill K
dunkles
dunkles

American comfort food for veggies

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2011

I checked out Curly's whilst on holiday in NYC as I love the occasional bit of stodgy comfort food (who doesn't?), but it can be hard to find, with me being veggie and my partner vegan.

I was very excited my the extensive menu, all of which can be made vegan. I opted for a chili cheese burger and fries, and my partner went for a vegan cheeseburger and fries. The burgers were good, and huge... neither of us finished our meal! I can highly recommend the shakes as well. If I lived in NYC I'd be a regular.

Pros: Great menu, Vegan options on everything, Cheap
maurac33
maurac33

1st timers- Aaaahmazing!

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2011

My boyfriend, his 8 year old daughter and myself went to Curly's for the first time today! Everything was amazing!!! We always order way too much to eat when visiting a new vegan place! We ordered the soy chicken nuggets and half ribs as an app. The nuggets were so tender and delicious! Our little one could not get enough of them! The ribs were good too. I had the Chicken bacon ranch and my boyfriend had the crabfakes. Even though I could barely breathe from eating so much, I honestly could not put my sandwich down! It was so flavorful and fresh!!! The curly fries with gravy and daiya topped it off. I could have drowned myself in them! =0) I can't wait for our next trip to the city so that I can try everything else Curley's has to offer!oh yeah, My boyfriend told them it was my birthday and they brought out a slammin' piece of red velvet cake... to say the very least, I need a nice food-coma nap!!! Thanks for everything, Curly's!!! You made my birthday perfect!!!

Pros: super friendly staff, anything can be veganized!
Cons: i live two hours away... =0(
O-liv
O-liv

Disappointing

Posted on 05 / 31 / 2011

I went here for brunch during my trip to NY. I had been looking foward to it, after reading so many great reviews. I wanted a "real" veganized american brunch, so I opted for the plate of pancakes, with tofu bacon, and other things (was it maizena?). When my plate arrived, it had only 3 huge pancakes. I asked the waiter about the other stuff marked on the menu, and he said they were all chopped up and put in the pancake mix. I couldn't finish my pancakes, which were very thick and stodgy. The other items were indeed in the pancakes, which ment I'd come across something smocky or hard while eating them, with my fruit and syrup. I didn't enjoy my meal at all, and headed straight to the Cowgirl's cafe when I left, for a vegan doughnut.

My boyfriend found his none-vegan meal only ok, but the curly fries were over cooked and more like chips.

We did however enjoy the original idea of giving everyone crayons to draw on the paper table cloths, and the drawings hung on the walls.

Pros: original decorations
Cons: stodgy pancakes, food in general, over cooked fries

Brooklyn
Brooklyn

Great vegetarian/vegan brunch place

Posted on 02 / 15 / 2011

Curly's offers up vegans the opportunity to eat all the brunch/diner food that they once gave up. Great atmosphere, massive portions (leads to a lot of food waste, unfortunately) and many options. There can be a really long wait on the weekends, especially around noon.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good value, Small
Cons: Portions are too big, Long waits
Sprout
Sprout

give me pizza fries, or give me death

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2010

Please order the vegan pizza fries when you go to Curly's. I could have just ordered them and been happy. It was a huge bowl filled with curly fries and topped with marinara and daiya cheddar (I think it typically comes with teese mozz, but I'm not a fan of their mozz flavor, so I requested the cheddar and LOVED it!) I also enjoyed the creamsickle drink drizzled with chocolate. I order the blue plate special, chili cheeze corn doggies, and wish I hadn't. The waitress had made several other recommendations, and I should have listened to her, but I was a little seduced by the complete junk food nature of this plate, and had to order it. I just didn't like it. I am not sure which type of hotdog was used, but I didn't like whatever it was, and the chili was just ok. I think the waitress was trying to steer me away from it (although she did say that the plate gets good reviews) but I was set on it anyway. Oh well. The pizza fries more than made up for it. My brother enjoyed the fauxphilly cheese steak and his friend enjoyed the buffalo style salad. They ordered regular cheese, so I didn't get to sample them. Overall a good experience with really terrific staff, but I will not go for the chili doggies next time.

Pros: pizza fries, good variety, friendly staff
bgoodwin17
bgoodwin17

YUMMMOOO

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2010

My father and I are from Boston and were visiting NYC for the weekend and were dying for a good vegan brunch. We found Curly's online and thought that it sounded like exactly what we were looking for. And it was!!

I got the vegan Huevos Rancheros (salsa verde style) with curly fries and my dad got the vegan Slumberjack breakfast (pancakes, tofu scramble, sham & homefries). All I can say is YUMMM. The portions were HUGE and the food was so tasty and satisfying.

In order to try as much food as possible in a short period of time, we each ate 1/2 our meals and then switched. It was a great idea. It gave us enough energy to walk the streets of NYC and shop all afternoon without getting hungry again until dinner time.

As many previous reviews have said, the homemade infused lemonade is a must! I had the blackberry infused one and I would definitely get it again. Another benefit to this little restaurant is they serve Vegan Treats desserts. Yummo.

I can't wait to go back here for my birthday weekend in March!

Pros: everything on the menu can be made vegan, good, home-cooked style diner food, vegan treats!
Cons: small
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Super Yummy

Posted on 02 / 15 / 2010

I was very pleased with my meal at Curly's. I had the big enchilada for brunch and it came with a mountain of food that was very tasty. The prices weren't bad and the menu had lots of options.
It was very crowded, and while waiting for a table I was forced to hover around people's table who were eating, but this is NYC we are talking about, so that's not unusual.
I would go here again for sure.

Pros: Good Food, Big Portions, Inexpensive
Cons: Crowded
Avi
Avi

Fantastic Restaurant

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2010

I can't believe this place has a bad review. I go here often and theb food is great. GREAT Mexican inspired dishes.

Pros: excellent quality
Cons: small
quarrygirl
quarrygirl

this place is AMAZING

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2010

i've only been to curly's once, but it was one of the best restaurant experience of my life. we got the vegan open faced turkey sandwich and the tofu scramble with curly fries. both were AMAZING.

for such a tiny place, curly's has a HUGE menu, and every item can be made vegan. man, i love it there. plus the service was great!

Pros: everything can be made vegan, big menu, great food
Cons: super small, limited seating
VeggiePinkoKat
VeggiePinkoKat

Curly's Lunch

Posted on 11 / 04 / 2009

Cute little cafe with interesting history mentioned in the menu. I'm always supportive of any veg establishment, especially since there aren't too many in carnivorous NYC, but Curly's left something to be desired. The service, albeit very friendly, is very slow. I ordered the Suna Melt (fake tuna) w/ curly fries, since it mentioned on the menu the Suna was housemade and "back by demand". I was underwhelmed. It was a little over-mayonaised veg protein with not much pizazz--I poured a lot of pepper on it. The cheese was Follow Your Heart which did not melt at all. The portion was great, but I only at half the sandwich since it was ok. I was excited about the fries until I heard they were store bought. Bummer. Still tasty enough though. My guy ordered a Buffalo Bleu sandwich and he said it was "pretty good". The food was a decent price and can fill you up. However, I would probably only go back to try out the desserts that people seem to like. Artwork on the wall is cute and gives it a homey feel.

Pros: Nice Staff, Big Portions
Cons: Not Vegan, Somewhat Bland Taste, Slow, yet friendly, service
  • Paulie10022 Paulie10022

There aren't too many vegetarian restaurants in carnivorous NYC? Are you kidding?? Try using the search function on this website and you'll find around 120 in Manhattan alone. And that's not including some wonderful places in Brooklyn and Queens. Hard to take your review seriously when you make such a ridiculous comment.

• VeggiePinkoKat VeggiePinkoKat

You are an angry little man. It's sad. Anyway, there happens to be a lot of places that will pop up that are vegetarian, sure, but not vegan. And not of top-notch caliber like Candle 79. Manhattan has some of the best veggie Indian places to choose from, but give me some diversity is all I ask, and nothing boring! As an aside, it's common knowledge that Manhattan is full of meateries. I won't be losing any sleep of what some sad little sack like you takes seriously. I have fun traveling the globe eating vegan high-quality meals, enjoy your haughty anger issues.

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Great Deserts!

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2009

Curly's...I'm on the fence with this place service wise. We sat down and waited patiently for the waitress to take our order - it seriously took an eternity for the waitress to take our order. This was irritating to both me and the individual that I was with. If this would have been a place back home in Chicago, we would have gone elsewhere.

So we stayed and I ordered the Philly (Vegan) with curly fries and my bf got some burrito. I thought my sandwich was average, nothing special; however, my bf was very pleased with the burrito he ordered. The best part of the meal was desert, vegan carrot cake made by Vegan Treats, WOW! That cake was so AMAZING that I can't even find words to articulate how great it is...try it!

The artwork along the walls created by Curly's customers was quite interesting (in a good way), let's just say that there are some people that are very good with crayons. I thought the drawings added a nice and unique touch.

VEGANDY
VEGANDY

BEST VEG RESTAURANT IN NYC!!!

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2009

I can't believe there are any bad reviews of this place. (Though some of them are bad because of things that won't matter to vegetarians and vegans. see: "Don't bring carniverous friends", etc...)

I've been vegan for a long time, and have been to just about every veg restaurant in NYC, most of them many times over, and have come to the conclusion that this place tops them all. The menu is dazzling, the place is adorable, the suno is one of the most creative, tasty veggie dishes around, and the portions are enormous (for instance, try the Open Faced Turkey Sandwich...you won't beleive it!) And if they ever have the corn chowder as the soup of the day, order it...then order seconds. GO HERE OFTEN!

Pros: Outstanding menu, Delicious food, Fun atmosphere
d_greenwald
d_greenwald

Big portions

Posted on 03 / 10 / 2009

I was very pleased with the portion size. A little pricy for the taste being pretty standard vegetarian cuisine. The selection is nice. A very "cozy" place so I hope you don't bring a big crowd you'll have to wait forever for a seat.
Even though it has it's cons, this is still a very good place.

Pros: Portion size
Cons: Pricey, Lacking flavor, Very tiny quarters
ann.marie77
ann.marie77

I love this restaurant

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2009

Without a doubt, everything I have had there is delicious, well-made, creative, and innovative. Today, I had a fake crab cake sandwich that was amazing. The inside is super-cute. No wait, fast service, friendly staff. Go support it!

piffelina
piffelina

favorite place in NY!

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2009

we LOVED this place. it was our favorite, along with slice pizzeria.

we each got a blue plate (i think it was called?). portions were HUGE and food was great. also, it was the coziest plaze we ate at.

def. going back!

Pros: great food!
kansasclark
kansasclark

Without a doubt, one of my favorites.

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2008

This is definitely one of my favorite NYC restaurants. The food is unabashedly not entirely healthy, but it's delicious and not unaffordable for those of us on a budget. I would definitely suggest the Maryland Crabfakes (totally vegan) and any of their dessert items.

Pros: fast service, great food, inexpensive
Cons: limited seating
Spiral Diner
Spiral Diner

Cheap and tasty

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2008

As far as NYC goes, this place had the best prices. The portions were HUGE and everything was delicious. I loved the presentation and the cute decorations everywhere. It felt very homey. Definitely the place to go for breakfast items.
I sure do wish they would stop serving milk and eggs, though. All their items are amazing without it. Maybe someday!

Pros: Food, Service, Atmosphere
Cons: Not Vegan
saratriceratops
saratriceratops

Where have you been all my life??

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2008

My mom took me for my birthday, and by some birthday miracle, they had the one meaty food I have been craving for years now - Torta - the veggie torta was amazing. Seasonings on the chorizo were taco truck caliber and it was huge! I saved half for dinner! My mom got a grilled veggie sandwich with fake bacon. The soy bacon was pretty gross but then she's an occasional meat eater and I rarely eat fake meat so whose to say? They also make delicious sweet potato fries. The space is itty bitty so I recommend arriving early. The place is warm and cozy though, and the staff were very sweet and helpful. I went after seeing on here that it was the new veg city - which used to be my favorite resteraunt but I saw few parallels. Good, but in a different way. I'm anxious to try the breakfast - it looked really good.

Pros: VEG TORTA, Atmosphere, Friendly Staff
Cons: Small
philjdomm
philjdomm

dont bother bringing carnivores friends

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2008

i never have problem with carnivore friends with an open mind but this time, it was not my friend and its amazing how powerful their opinion and negative energy on a really bad meatloaf immitation can put a tamper on my chimmichanga..or that i may not be that hungry.

Jleon11
Jleon11

Very good comfort food

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2008

To anyone that was turned off by this place when they first opened (like I was), I would recommend trying it again. The quality of the food has improved dramtically over the past two years.

The prices are still very low, and they have excellent mock-meats and desserts. On the downside, the place does get uncomfortably jam packed with people on Saturday nights, and the place may not be the most sanitary for some tastes.

pinkbubble
pinkbubble

small but yummy!

Posted on 11 / 25 / 2007

Excellent food with HUGE portions. It was worth paying a bit extra for so much good vegan diner style grub.

Pros: excellent food, huge portions
Cons: bit cramped, can get noisy
Erin P.
Erin P.

Delicious Comfort Food

Posted on 10 / 23 / 2007

I ordered the grilled cheese, curly fries, and a strawberry shake. The grilled cheese was made with vegan mozarella which would not have been my first choice but it was made well and was properly melted. The fries were great. But the strawberry shake was not a shake at all. It tasted like strawberry flavored soy milk. It wasn't thick, there was no ice cream in it, it was a big disappointment. And it was pricey too! The place filled up really fast, we were lucky to get a table. The staff was pleasant and helpful. I would definitely eat here again next time I'm in New York.

Pros: great food, friendly staff
Cons: poor milkshakes
shaglow
shaglow

Veggie Comfort Food

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2007

I had always frequented diners before going veggie and this place is the perfect fix for that comfort food craving. I thought the Suna Melt with a side of Sweet Potato Fries was delicious. My boyfriend was not as enamored with his entree of BBQ Soy Tempeh - it had it's pros and cons. So I would say, stay simple and this is a great comfort food fix.

michal
michal

definately a favorite

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2007

this place is so cute, the owner is so kind, the santa barbarella is so delicious and even though the wings are just slices of tempeh, they are somehow tantalizing. i used to go 3x a week for lunch. it is SO good. and the sangria is great too!

Pros: good food & sangria, atmosphere, friendly
Guest
Guest

Cute, but not my favorite

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2007

This is a favorite place of my sister's, and she took me here for brunch one weekend. I really enjoyed the feel of the place, but the food was not as excellent as I had hoped. It's a friendly, casual place. Go for the atmosphere and veggie comfort food.

Pros: Vegetarian comfort food, Vegan brunch, Curly fries
Cons: Small dining area, So-so food
myboyfriendisdead
myboyfriendisdead

Old Veg City Diner

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2007

But not nearly as good. I was so excited when Veg City Diner was re-opening, but Curley's is not nearly as good. Part of what made Veg City so great was the hours, Curley's is NOT open that late, so please call beforehand. They still serve Vegan Treats deserts, which are super yummy.. The Food is still good. However, the place is rather small now.

Pros: Good Value
Cons: Small seating area
cabbit
cabbit

Homey and Nice

Posted on 10 / 16 / 2006

I loved the food it was great! I specially liked their signature 'Curly' fries. They are better than McDonald fries! The menu has a variety of vegetarian options. The prizes are a little high though. The place is homey and has a nice feeling to it. The service was fast. I don't like, however how they have to be right there looking at you eating and waiting every minute to see if you want something or to see if you've chosen your menu items. One thing i liked were the pictures they put on one side of their walls that are drawn by costumers, if you want you can draw while you eat(or wait) with some crayons they have on the tables available and they may put your picture up.

Pros: Small and cozy, Lots of veg options, Fast service Big portions
Cons: Watch you while you eat, Can get crowded, Prizes are a little high
Bill K
Bill K

Friendly, Homey, Tasty

Posted on 11 / 13 / 2005

A small place, friendly and casual. Not vegan, although the "EV" mark next to the menu item means "Easily Made Vegan". Nice basic vegie plate, which includes salad plus grain and bean. Cashew Sofrito is tasty, although the fried plantain hiding at the bottom of the plate doesn't quite make it--clashes too much with the other ingredients. Best to ask them to omit this. The sauce in the BBQ tempeh is a trifle too tangy and doesn't really match the flavor of the tempeh; it should be toned down. The other entrees are good, and the portions are generous. Mexican-inspired lunch items are on the menu. Beer and wine served, a nice touch. Two drawbacks: not organic, and too many tofu and tofu-derived dishes.

Pros: good prices, very friendly, good cooking
Cons: not organic or vegan, too much soy

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Curly's Vegetarian Lunch: