Serves meat, veg options available. Cupcake shop and cafe offering some vegan items clearly marked as such. Besides cupcakes, there is a variety of sandwiches and a soup of the day as well as beverages with soya milk. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Western, Bakery, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
Krossener Str 12, Berlin-Friedrichshain
Berlin, Germany 10245
030-25768687
OPEN NOW

Mon-Tue 1:00pm-7:00pm, Wed-Sun 12:00pm-7:00pm

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by beer and veg
food4ricky
food4ricky

A must try out!

Posted on 11 / 24 / 2014

I've fallen in love with this place, and especially with the cupcake I tasted - salty karamel. Damn good. Must try! I had a cupcake to go; it was wrapped perfectly in a plastic bag.

Pros: Take home cupcakes, Not too much to choose from (a pro 4me)
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

yummy!

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

We accidentally ended up here buying cupcakes (as you do..) whilst wandering town late one night. They were still open but near closing time- the staff were friendly and polite, let us take our time, talked us through the options they had. There were I think four or five vegan options so |I think this place has stepped up its game since the old reviews a couple years back. We had a coffee cupcake and other flavuors plus a brownie- i'm big on cupcakes so I just remember enjoying them. I personally didn't think they were too sweet, so I can only assume they've changed the recipe?

Anyway- if you happen to be nearby and craving them with no fully vegan place nearby I'd go here, give them a try :)

paperbagblog
paperbagblog

Lovely!

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

Only visit once but I love this cafe. A few vegan options, very tasty, and such a sweet place.

vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Tasty food, rude staff

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

Went here recently, and I guess they were closing in 5 minutes. They told us we could only order items to go, told us we could only walk on one side of the store, because they wanted to mop the other side, and quickly ushered us out of the store as fast as possible.

The desserts we had were really good; everyone agreed. However, the staff was very short with us and basically slammed the door/locked it as soon as we were past the door frame.

Pros: Vegan desserts
Cons: Rude staff
webkitten
webkitten

Meh

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2012

Like other reviewers said, the vegan cupcake is dry, unloved, and over priced. Very sad. The peanut butter brownie was really good though! Still overpriced, but more worth it than the cupcake (and you can take it home and snack on it longer).

They have other expensive, imported goods too, like chai mixes and sodas if you are missing them badly.

Pros: vegan brownie, cute cafe
Cons: overpriced, dry
TigerLily+DrTofu
TigerLily+DrTofu

There you go - here are some extra love handles

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2011

Since the shop is in our neighbourhood, we really like to go for a walk on sundays and reward ourselves with a beautiful cupcake. The shop is quite nice and decorated with style and love for the 50s, but if you don't want to take your cupcake with you, there's nearly no chance to find a place to sit (especially when you are more than 1 person!), because it's always crowded. Some of the ladies in the kitchen are extremely kind and polite, others treat you as you would disturb them in their daydream by asking for the vegan option.
Yes, the vegan option. Although they have serveral vegan cupcakes and muffins on the menu, there is often only one kind in the glass case, which makes the choice for the vegan easy but sadly limited.
I don't think that the cupcakes only taste like sugar. In my mind they are suprisingly un-sweet. Compared to vegan cupcakes we had in New York City they are pleasing, you don't feel your teeth melt in the sugar - but that's only my sensation. But the other autors are right - it's too less to have only 2 kinds of dough (vanilla and chocolate) with different coloured icings on top.
The brownies are great - no matter which taste you choose.

The owner Daniel owns a Hardcore-Label, that is operation from the Cupcake - its name is Cupcake Records.

Pros: Nice place to go on sundays, Perfect as a gift for a friend, after all a cool place
Cons: Too crowded, too expensive, not enough choices
weeone
weeone

Sugary treat

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2011

I am sugar-addicted and I think it's better to share a cupcake among two people. It's hard to finish one on my own.

I wouldn't go too often, but once in a while for a treat, it surely is nice :)

Pros: decoration, good range
Cons: overly sweet
hxcla_ta_life
hxcla_ta_life

why are people crazy about this shop ??

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2011

I must admit the shop looks cute and the deco could have made a nice place to spend some time drinking an hot chocolate and enjoying some sweet pastry ...
BUt the fact is that the place isn t comfy at all , in sommur it s ok to seat outside but in winter the massif wood tables and chair absolutly don t give me the willing to take a seat.
But it s maybe the point , they prefer to have a lot of people coming and taking away I guess .

Anyway if the place wasn t perfect but the food amazing , it wouldn t have been any problem :)
THe fact is that those pastry look delicious , creamy , girly , glittery .... all what you want ... but are so disappointing in mouth .

And for some reason , they raised their price from 2,5 to 2,80 pro piece which is for me way to much when you are used to bake a bit and you know how it is easy and cheap to make .

I would have been ok to pay this price if their were incredibly tasty and if I knew I couldn t make better at home .

There is in the district many other better places to get some sweet vegan pastries.

Pros: Deco , Glitters in our eyes , Full tattooed and really smilly owner
Cons: too sweet , too expensive , too tasteless
Mandito
Mandito

If you're not in the mood for SWEET don't go here.

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

I've tried the Vegan-Brownie and the peanut-butter/jam bagel. Both of them were very good, but almost too sweet. My advice would be: go with a friend and split them in two, it's enough! :)

Nothing wrong with this place at all, the do the whole concept all the way. So like it, or don't.

But the place is cute, but you don't wanna sit for too long. They have really cute boxes if you wanna bring one for mum.

Pros: Very sweet
Cons: Very sweet
wildfang
wildfang

Pure sugar

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2011

The place itself is sort of nice with its 50s flair and oldies being played in the background. Still, it kind of feels like sitting in a canteen with the tables being pushed together very close.
When I went to Cupcake, the place was full to bursting and I was very lucky to get a single free seat by the window.
There was a total of two different types of vegan cupcakes which were actually the same but with different icing. I usually like sweet and very sweet things but this was just too much even for me. The icing on my chocolate cupcake (that didn't taste of chocolate but only of sugar, but at least the texture was good) was like pure sugar and hardly edible. I freely admit that the American way of preparing food/sweets isn't my cup of tea and maybe I'm just ignorant to not appreciate a "real" American style vegan cupcake but I can't help it.
The cupcake itself was very large, though, and I think 2,5€ for something as filling as a very big piece of cake is a reasonable price.
I also had a hot chocolate with soya milk which cost 2,0€ and was also satisfyingly large and tasty.
The staff was friendly.
Unless you are a real sugar addict I wouldn't recommend going to Cupcake and try better cake at some other place.

Pros: vegan options, friendly staff
Cons: incredibly sweet cupcakes, uncomfortable, no toilets
  • wildfang wildfang

Thank you. I was hoping there were better things than that to be found in America :)

• beer and veg beer and veg

just so you know, as an american, I have to say those cupcakes are not an example of 'real American' cupcakes. I have never had a more tasteless cupcake in my life. sugar does not automatically equal flavour...

beer and veg
beer and veg

Cupcakes are always good, but...

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

I hate to say I was disappointed, but I was. Any cafe offering vegan baked goods must be applauded, but for me, it stops there. I tried the one vegan cupcake available and a brownie. The yellow cake did not rise above a box of cake mix. The icing was cloyingly sweet and had surprisingly little flavour. The brownie was much better, but tasted exactly like a Duncan Hines box mix. This is not necessarily bad, but I'm not sure it warrants the €2.50 price. Maybe it was an off day. I applaud the effort, but I hope they go back and rework their recipes. The shop was nice and cosy with friendly staff. They also sell Dr Pepper, at €2.50 a pop.

Pros: cosy, comfy, friendly staff
Cons: too sweet
  • beatlebum beatlebum

I agree with you. And guess what? You can buy Dr. Pepper at real for €.89.

Dear Owner and Manager of Cupcake: