Serves meat, veg options available. Offers a few vegetarian and vegan dishes. Good atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Organic, Italian, Non-veg
Via dei Serragli, 3R
Florence, Italy 50125
+ 39-055-2776205

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by sebbacon
mroot
mroot

Wonderful Culinary Delight

Posted on 10 / 10 / 2014

My husband and I ate at at Cuculia on our last night in Florence. The staff was friendly and helpful with our choices. We are vegan so there were many options for us. The spinach beet salad was delicious, and our main courses were full of flavor and freshness. The cuisine was a mix of Italian and Mediterranean flavors. We asked about the chef and he is from Venezuela. Excellent gourmet and creative food. Highly Recommend this restaurant.

Pros: High Quality Food, Friendly Staff, Ambiance
Cons: located on busy street, window seats open to busy street
HappyGina
HappyGina

Loved it! :)

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2014

VERY charming place! The waitress was very sweet and made me feel very welcome :) I asked her for the "vegano" choices and she said the best was the beef. LOL.. I said.. "no, no, vegano..." She laughed. Perhaps my Italian isn't so good. She did say that the menu literally JUST changed in the past week, and I'm not sure what that meant. I THINK it meant there are less vegan options. I could be wrong though. And honestly, I don't she didn't really know what vegan meant completely, so I had to keep asking specifically about each non-vegan ingredient. But she was very patient with me, and another sweet woman came out to help clear my conscience so it's all good :)

Anyway, I was starving, and ordered 2 meals so I could take one home for breakfast. lol I had the seitan in a white wine sauce with onions and grapes, surrounded by a delicate velvetty beet sauce. It was good.

I also had the pasta with porcini mushrooms in a light potato sauce I believe. Very good :)

I, too, was given a complimentary appetizer of a foccacia "stick" (soft bread in the shape of a stick) in an AMAZING sauce made of ... hmm... I don't remember! lol it was good though :)

Overall, I enjoyed the experience and felt like a real human being eating at a real restaurant (I think my fellow vegans understand what this means.. hahaha) and the food was good and fresh and the presentation of everything was awesome! The portions seem a bit small but they really aren't, and they are definitely filling :)

5 cows up! :D

Pros: charming, friendly staff, good food
Cons: vegan awareness could be better, a little pricey
axis777
axis777

Outstanding!

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2014

This is a fairly small and unassuming place from the outside, but don't be fooled. The vegetarian food here is incredible. My wife and I ordered the seitan "steak" in a tamarind/carrot sauce and am organic spinach salad. We were first served a really delicious vegan potato soup "compliments of the chef" (see photo). Then came a huge salad for two, with delicate young spinach, carrots and peas. Finally the seitan steak arrived - the best seitan I've ever had! The sauce was incredible and the seitan was firm without being chewy. We saw other people eating meat dishes, so you have to be prepared for that, but all of the meals appeared to be high-end gourmet food. Don't miss this place when you're in Florence - we highly recommend it. It's just a couple of blocks south of the Ponte Carraria bridge. so it's easy to walk to from most of the city core. The menu is in Italian and English, and our waiter spoke both languages.

Updated from previous review on Saturday June 07, 2014

Pros: Delicious gourmet food, Many orgranic ingredients
Cons: They also serve meat, Somewhat expensive

Fruchtfledermaus05
Fruchtfledermaus05

Excellent

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2014

My partner and I had dinner here on our first night in Florence, while I am vegan he is a dedicated Omni, and we were both very happy with our respective meals! The waitress was very helpful and pointed out which dishes were vegan (3 options, all looked delicious...)and we were served a starter of tasty gazpacho with a piece of tomato focaccia "on the house". I had an amazing pasta dish with a rich almond "cream" sauce with lots of lovely green chard, and my partner had a salmon steak in pea sauce. The house white was cold and delicious, and only 13 euro for a litre! There was no vegan desert, alas, but I was pretty stuffed after the meal anyway and quite happy with an espresso!

Pros: great food/drink, lovely atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: bit pricey (but worth it for one night), no vegan desert option
brinnet
brinnet

Great for foodies!

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2013

I am vegan and tried out this location with my omnivorous extended family. We are a well traveled group with one meat-and-potatoes girl, and we all were pleased! The menu had three vegan options (I did have to ask them to point out what's vegan), but they were patient and understood. Prices are a little higher than average, but I thought it was well worth it. They even gave everyone at the table a bonus delicious gazpacho as a starter and dark chocolate candied orange peel for a dessert (not sure if either of these are standard). The portions were very fair, lovely presentation, and about a 5 minute walk from Ponte Vecchio. I would definitely recommend if you're looking for something a little different from the standard Italian fare :)

Pros: portion size
Cons: noisy location, limited vegan options
honeydew419
honeydew419

Fabulous

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2013

The woman who waited on us was the chef's wife and she was very gracious. We do not speak Italian and we are vegans -- she helped us navigate the menu and made some wonderful suggestions. Everything was delicious and beautifully presented. I can't remember what we paid but it was reasonable and worth every euro! If this website would let me give it 5 cows, I would do it.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, charming
anjST29
anjST29

Sunday Brunch at Cuculia

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2013

We have just had a really lovely Sunday brunch at Cuculia. The waitress explained the menu to us when she realized that we didn't speak Italian. It was a set meal consisting of a selection of 5 small portions of vegetarian dishes and a small dessert, all served together on a platter. It was beautifully presented and very tasty. The staff are very friendly and the atmosphere relaxing. Cost 10 Euro each.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly, Good value
Cons: No choices
sebbacon
sebbacon

Surreal in a good way

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

This is some kind of art-library-cafe-restaurant. It's not veggie but there was a choice of vegetarian food. We were surprised to get a complimentary starter which was a gazpacho served in a cocktail glass, on a white plate decorated with swirls of green and orange purees. I'm writing this review a few weeks later and can't remember what I had for a main, but I do remember it was garnished with a flourish of two deep-fried strands of spaghetti! It was confusingly spectacular as you just don't expect that in a bar, and some of it tasted very, very nice.

Pros: surreal, creative, gourmet
Cons: surreal

Dear Owner and Manager of Cuculia: